Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think my new favourite quote from the episodes so far is "Jade give two rides!" The delivery is so loving perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Luchadork posted:

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/lynch/david-lynch-cannes-standing-ovation/

Lynch gets a standing ovation at Cannes after the premiere. :unsmith:

oh that's sweet :unsmith:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The three and a half hour FWWM fan-edit that puts the missing pieces back in is really entertaining.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I love the 2 by 4 scene because that poo poo happens all the time with olds

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I think my new favourite quote from the episodes so far is "Jade give two rides!" The delivery is so loving perfect.

Me too - I dunno why but the entire *exchange* was perfect, like... The absurdity of the situation, first - and the fact that Jade refers to herself in the third person and actually says, "You mean Jade's gonna hafta give you two rides now!?" and him taking so long to echo it back, and that sort of finally being the last straw where she's like "This guy is fuckin' GONE". And yeah, the delivery is just totally perfect. He somehow manages to say it without putting any emphasis on any single word in the phrase, while still saying it in a sort of obliviously innocent way.

Does anyone else feel like, after watching those 4 episodes, they could just go back and watch the entirety of seasons 1 + 2 + FWWM and like... all kinds of new and weird meanings will be interjected into it? Frost is actually the one who has been meticulously consistent about the symbolism in the surrealist imagery, based on what I've heard about "The secret history of Twin Peaks" which I just ordered off Amazon because I'm hopeless :downs: Apparently Richard Nixon owned "The Ring" for a period of time according the book. Special Agent Tammi Preston's notes are apparently written throughout the margins so it must have been done concurrently with season 3 to some extent.

But anyway to my original point, like... I could live with just those four new episodes as the only new material for like, months. If David Lynch were instead releasing four 3-hour movies over the course of 6 years to wrap up Twin Peaks, I'd be so goddamn thrilled. Instead we're getting so much more, and it's just... so much better than expected. It is *so* rare that I actually get to say that about television. The last time I got this feeling from watching a television series was maybe... season 1 of True Detective, at times. Before that? Maybe Battlestar Galactica around the end season 3 or so I think, and before that maybe season 1 of Lost.

It's just very rare you find yourself watching something that feel really.. new and out there and a little mind-blowing. Maybe I am over-praising it. But just letting it wash over you without thinking too hard is still an intense experience.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kaworu posted:

Me too - I dunno why but the entire *exchange* was perfect, like... The absurdity of the situation, first - and the fact that Jade refers to herself in the third person and actually says, "You mean Jade's gonna hafta give you two rides now!?" and him taking so long to echo it back, and that sort of finally being the last straw where she's like "This guy is fuckin' GONE". And yeah, the delivery is just totally perfect. He somehow manages to say it without putting any emphasis on any single word in the phrase, while still saying it in a sort of obliviously innocent way.

Does anyone else feel like, after watching those 4 episodes, they could just go back and watch the entirety of seasons 1 + 2 + FWWM and like... all kinds of new and weird meanings will be interjected into it? Frost is actually the one who has been meticulously consistent about the symbolism in the surrealist imagery, based on what I've heard about "The secret history of Twin Peaks" which I just ordered off Amazon because I'm hopeless :downs: Apparently Richard Nixon owned "The Ring" for a period of time according the book. Special Agent Tammi Preston's notes are apparently written throughout the margins so it must have been done concurrently with season 3 to some extent.

But anyway to my original point, like... I could live with just those four new episodes as the only new material for like, months. If David Lynch were instead releasing four 3-hour movies over the course of 6 years to wrap up Twin Peaks, I'd be so goddamn thrilled. Instead we're getting so much more, and it's just... so much better than expected. It is *so* rare that I actually get to say that about television. The last time I got this feeling from watching a television series was maybe... season 1 of True Detective, at times. Before that? Maybe Battlestar Galactica around the end season 3 or so I think, and before that maybe season 1 of Lost.

It's just very rare you find yourself watching something that feel really.. new and out there and a little mind-blowing. Maybe I am over-praising it. But just letting it wash over you without thinking too hard is still an intense experience.
I feel the exact same way. I was talking to somebody about the new Twin Peaks episodes yesterday and told them it was absolutely bonkers that Better Call Saul has been dethroned as the best show on TV right now.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kaworu posted:

Instead we're getting so much more, and it's just... so much better than expected. It is *so* rare that I actually get to say that about television. The last time I got this feeling from watching a television series was maybe... season 1 of True Detective, at times.
I hadn't thought of this comparison but it definitely makes sense.

The Kubrick influence is evident throughout, especially in the Coop through Space scenes. But I think the way in which it most echoes Kubrick is in the way it seems to pull you into another dimension entirely, breaking through the screen like the face-eating box ghost. We are to the show as the characters are to the Black Lodge. There were brief flashes of this in S1 True Detective, but the new Twin Peaks does it so utterly and completely, and almost effortlessly, like Lynch is putting on an old favorite jacket. I am not a fan of much of Lynch's other work, but this is him at absolute peak form. Its awesome to watch and I feel really lucky that Twin Peaks just happened to be the subject.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The lingering shots of locations in True Detective owes a lot to Lynch for sure.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
kaworu I love your posts and enthusiasm :3:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I feel the exact same way. I was talking to somebody about the new Twin Peaks episodes yesterday and told them it was absolutely bonkers that Better Call Saul has been dethroned as the best show on TV right now.

Leftovers bruh

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

Leftovers bruh
I've never seen a single episode of that show but I remember a former coworker of mine raving about it over a year ago.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, new Twin Peaks feels like nothing else. It's truly unique and that's so rare.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

business hammocks posted:

The lingering shots of locations in True Detective owes a lot to Lynch for sure.

Season 2 of TD (bad as it was) had a whole "Spot the David Lynch reference" game it was trying to play.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really hope that Special Agents Chris Isaak and Kiefer Sutherland appear at some point.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

business hammocks posted:

The first time New York and Los Vegas were introduced on the show my mouth was agape. Not that "Twin Peaks" would be expanding, but the technical excellence of the shots was what floored me.

I don't know how they were captured, but those too-slow pans of the cityscape were marvelous and a feast for the eyes.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Reminder we are getting 14 more new episodes of Twin Peaks. I can't loving believe it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thom and the Heads posted:

Reminder we are getting 14 more new episodes of Twin Peaks. I can't loving believe it.
Seriously. kaworu hit the nail on the head:

kaworu posted:

But anyway to my original point, like... I could live with just those four new episodes as the only new material for like, months. If David Lynch were instead releasing four 3-hour movies over the course of 6 years to wrap up Twin Peaks, I'd be so goddamn thrilled. Instead we're getting so much more, and it's just... so much better than expected.
The first 4 episodes have given me so goddamn much to think about and they were more than I could've ever hoped for from new Twin Peaks. The fact that we're getting FOURTEEN MORE?! It's practically unfathomable.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The first time New York and Los Vegas were introduced on the show my mouth was agape. Not that "Twin Peaks" would be expanding, but the technical excellence of the shots was what floored me.

I don't know how they were captured, but those too-slow pans of the cityscape were marvelous and a feast for the eyes.

I was wondering if someone would bring that up. I don't think I've ever seen a shot of Manhattan looking like that in film, all the buildings lit up that weird almost too-uniform way, with that particular angle down on them. I know there's only so many different ways you can shoot the city since it's going to look the same on any given night you happen to rent a helicopter, but drat, it was a breathtaking sight.

Then the subtitle goes NEW YORK CITY :eng101: and I'm like "ppfffff seriously"

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I know what was said about Hurley being dain bramaged from a motorcycle accident, but he honestly looked fine in the Bang Bang Bar. He was smiling, having a beer, and motioning to his friend to look at the band.

What gives? Have I missed something?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm guessing that footage of the cities (and the waterfall in the intro) was shot with a drone?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Twin Peaks doesn't end until Labor Day

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Apple Craft posted:

I know what was said about Hurley being dain bramaged from a motorcycle accident, but he honestly looked fine in the Bang Bang Bar. He was smiling, having a beer, and motioning to his friend to look at the band.

What gives? Have I missed something?
It was never explicitly said that he was brain damaged, Shelly just said that he's "quiet now." She seemed really offended when her friend said "Something's wrong with that guy..."

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Amanda seyfried is playing one of shelley's friends' daughters and is presumably going to be a Laura Palmer analogue

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Wouldn't be the first time she's played a Laura Palmer analogue.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I've listened to Chromatics - Shadow like 50 times in a row

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I never saw the original so maybe that's why, but I'm giving this a shot and it's boring as poo poo. I'm halfway through episode 3 and it's just been one big fever dream. Do we ever get a story? Some kind of plot? Because if it's just a bunch of weird poo poo and people staring while not saying anything I'm checking out.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
That's probably why, yeah. A lot of important poo poo went down in the first four eps.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Barreft posted:

I never saw the original so maybe that's why, but I'm giving this a shot and it's boring as poo poo. I'm halfway through episode 3 and it's just been one big fever dream. Do we ever get a story? Some kind of plot? Because if it's just a bunch of weird poo poo and people staring while not saying anything I'm checking out.

This may not be the show for you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I've listened to Chromatics - Shadow like 50 times in a row
I did this same exact thing the other day. Pulled it up on Spotify and just played it over and over again.

Barreft posted:

:lol:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Barreft posted:

why wouldn't you watch the original first

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Barreft posted:

This is not something most people can just jump on into. You need to watch season 1/2 and the film.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

To see if David Lynch's more surreal stuff would be up your alley in general, could watch Mulholland Drive for a primer. And of course Blue Velvet (less surreal but must see), Lost Highway, and more.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
that's like jumping into season 5 of game of thrones and being like who are all these people and why are they fighting?? it's all just war???

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
When Sarah Palmer is watching the lions eat the wildebeest, it reminded me of when BOB kills Maddy. The sounds, and especially when the lion is clamped down on its face.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I'm catching up on this thread while there's a silent lightning storm strobing away outside. Seems oddly appropriate.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Heavy Metal posted:

To see if David Lynch's more surreal stuff would be up your alley in general, could watch Mulholland Drive for a primer. And of course Blue Velvet (less surreal but must see), Lost Highway, and more.

It's crazy to me that in this thread, "Blue Velvet (less surreal but must see)" makes complete sense. Without context, I would spit out my coffee.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

Leftovers bruh

Also The Americans.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Episode 4 was much better, less trippy poo poo and more actual things happening. I'll continue on.

It's not that I didn't know what was going on more that it was just boring. Ep 3 took almost 20 minutes to have the dude stare around with a weird non-eyed woman and all this other poo poo that I just didn't care about. Ep. 4 was good though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

steakmancer posted:

Amanda seyfried is playing one of shelley's friends' daughters and is presumably going to be a Laura Palmer analogue

Very good. She was the Laura Palmer of Veronica Mars, so it's kind of perfect if it goes that route.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Barreft posted:

Episode 4 was much better, less trippy poo poo and more actual things happening. I'll continue on.

It's not that I didn't know what was going on more that it was just boring. Ep 3 took almost 20 minutes to have the dude stare around with a weird non-eyed woman and all this other poo poo that I just didn't care about. Ep. 4 was good though.

i don't know if this helps but the psychedelic stuff is all about the feeling of the moment. Like fear and persecution.
It doesn't have to be logical, it's just a trial for the characters to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The three and a half hour FWWM fan-edit that puts the missing pieces back in is really entertaining.

That's how I saw FWWM for the first time and thought it was great, like a 3-episode special. It was put together really well, to the point I only knew what was from Missing Pieces because I'd read how most non-Laura stuff had been cut.

Agent Desmond being given time to establish himself was really good. David Bowie's scenes felt like they were going to make as much sense as they ever would, and it makes me really sad he wasn't able to reprise his role :smith: . Not to go on too long, but I thought having more 'Peaksy' stuff in FWWM really helped it, as we got to see everyone's plots being lined up for the pilot. Lastly, I heard a lot of people say it doesn't line up with the TV series, but I thought the film hit every point brought up in the show, especially the details of things like Laura and James's last meeting.