Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Star Man posted:

The thing I never understand about Confederate symbols are when they're seen in places that were still territories when the Civil War broke out or were states that were created after the Missouri Compromise. Obviously it's just a symbol of racism no matter what, where, and when, but it's just weird to me when I see a Confederate battle flag underneath a Wyoming state flag on a flagstaff while I'm commuting to work.

Rebels will be rebels. (or some other bullshit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skex posted:

Sounds like Scott Walker wants to test that theory.

Lol yeah default on its debts and the creditors would be suing the state with thousands of lawsuits, since there's no state bankruptcy.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I've seen confederate flags flying in Maine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

Star Man posted:

The thing I never understand about Confederate symbols are when they're seen in places that were still territories when the Civil War broke out or were states that were created after the Missouri Compromise. Obviously it's just a symbol of racism no matter what, where, and when, but it's just weird to me when I see a Confederate battle flag underneath a Wyoming state flag on a flagstaff while I'm commuting to work.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anyone have that map that shows what the 2016 election results would have looked like if only voters under 35 had voted? I need something to clutch on to while I rock back and forth in a corner mumbling "it'll get better, it'll get better" to myself.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Burt Buckle posted:

Yeah well Maine is the deep south of the far north and has like a half dozen non-white people in the state. And let's not even get into the shitshow of a governor they have.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Burt Buckle posted:

Neonazis in Germany fly it because Nazi symbols are banned there.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I've seen many, many confederate flags in Connecticut. And not just in really deep country parts of CT, but in wealthy suburbs outside major cities.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

Hellblazer187 posted:

Anyone have that map that shows what the 2016 election results would have looked like if only voters under 35 had voted? I need something to clutch on to while I rock back and forth in a corner mumbling "it'll get better, it'll get better" to myself.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Pfft, if that was the case we'd be living in the Age of Aquarius right now, due to the hippy generation being the current old fanatical voters.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

BarbarianElephant posted:

Pfft, if that was the case we'd be living in the Age of Aquarius right now, due to the hippy generation being the current old fanatical voters.

...what?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

That's actually not so bad. I mean, yes, it's insane and terrible. But if the next generation of the GOPs strongest Demo goes from 60/40 to basically even, that's all over.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I doubt most of the true hippies made it this long.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Youuuuuu must be a youngsterrrrrr :allears:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DeathSandwich posted:

Norquist was never a sane person. His whole schtick is that when he was a teenager he wrote a pledge that he still to this day gets all GOP politicians to sign saying that they promise to never ever raise taxes for any reason. He acts like this makes him a serious person.

Also he's apparently a vaping weirdo and has been for the last several years.

yeah i was thinking of that other dude. i think he was connected to w. i forget but he was big never trump person.

Star Man posted:

i am more surprised when they are in Union states. i live in eastern PA and i see plenty of them.

lol. that owns.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

It's a reference to an old movie.

It's from "The 40-Year Old Virgin" from 2005.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Boon posted:

This is a really bad post if you actually follow the thread for a lot of reasons.
1) The chokeslam had marginal impact due to early voting and no-change restriction
2) It's already a trend nationwide. That's not the question, the question is, what's driving it and will it continue.

So say the polls. But the same polls also predicted a huge Hillary victory, so...

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Skippy Granola posted:

Youuuuuu must be a youngsterrrrrr :allears:

I'm 34. I don't understand what his sentence means in relation to my request.

I THINK that he was replying to the assumption that voting habits remain stable throughout life. IE, since young folks skew Dem eventually the old folks that skew GOP die off and then Dems take over. And his reply suggested that since the same generation that contained hippies is now voting for republicans, that the stability of political preference is not something I should assume.

I think, anyways. That's also wrong - it overstates the size of the hippy movement (not everyone in the 60s and 70s was a hippy) and it ignores the data surrounding the stability of partisan preference over time.

But I'm assuming a lot out of a sentence that doesn't actually say any of those things explicitly, so I said "...what?" because I didn't understand his sentence.

edit: Oh it's a movie quote. I'm still a little lost. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean I'm a youngster. Unless that's ALSO a movie quote.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Star Man posted:

Neonazis in Germany fly it because Nazi symbols are banned there.

I live in northern Canada and I see people with it on clothes/their pick-up now and then. I think most people here associate it with "rebels" or being a redneck, I guess, due to The Dukes of Hazzard. I've actually never heard of anyone associating it with the actual CSA/considering it offensive.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's a reference to an old movie.

It's from "The 40-Year Old Virgin" from 2005.

I've seen that movie like 3 times, but don't remember that line because the last time I saw that movie was like 10 years ago.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The hippies of the 60s were a vocal minority among their generation sort of like how the internet alt right are today.

The boomers were always selfish fuckers, they didn't grow into it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

So say the polls. But the same polls also predicted a huge Hillary victory, so...

Actually the polls were generally very accurate.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Lassitude posted:

I live in northern Canada and I see people with it on clothes/their pick-up now and then. I think most people here associate it with "rebels" or being a redneck, I guess, due to The Dukes of Hazzard. I've actually never heard of anyone associating it with the actual CSA/considering it offensive.

How north? They might just be racist

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

enraged_camel posted:

The polls predicted Hillary would win the popular vote by 3% and she won it by 2%.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've seen that movie like 3 times, but don't remember that line because the last time I saw that movie was like 10 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquarius/Let_the_Sunshine_In

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm 34. I don't understand what his sentence means in relation to my request.

I THINK that he was replying to the assumption that voting habits remain stable throughout life. IE, since young folks skew Dem eventually the old folks that skew GOP die off and then Dems take over. And his reply suggested that since the same generation that contained hippies is now voting for republicans, that the stability of political preference is not something I should assume.

I think, anyways. That's also wrong - it overstates the size of the hippy movement (not everyone in the 60s and 70s was a hippy) and it ignores the data surrounding the stability of partisan preference over time.

But I'm assuming a lot out of a sentence that doesn't actually say any of those things explicitly, so I said "...what?" because I didn't understand his sentence.

edit: Oh it's a movie quote. I'm still a little lost. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean I'm a youngster. Unless that's ALSO a movie quote.

The Age of Aquarius is an astrological concept beloved by the Haight-Ashbury crowd. It describes a utopian age of heightened consciousness and unity for all humans, where war and greed lose all meaning and everyone coexists in a totally groovy way, man.

Anyway if the old hippies ran the world it's be pretty far out.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

A reporter was arrested for "yelling" a question, a reporter was choke slammed, and half this thread is saying "I'd be cheering if this was against a conservative reporter" but you don't see the trend?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lassitude posted:

There are people that use the Confederate battle flag as a generic symbol of rebelliousness. With enough time, it is possible for a symbol of hatred to morph into something thaf isn't negative anymore. The word nice was at one time not a nice thing to say.

But I still don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt if they use Confederate symbols.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Skippy Granola posted:

The Age of Aquarius is an astrological concept beloved by the Haight-Ashbury crowd. It describes a utopian age of heightened consciousness and unity for all humans, where war and greed lose all meaning and everyone coexists in a totally groovy way, man.

Yes. That is what I was referring to. Not the 40-year-old virgin song. *Sigh*

I'm actually not *that* old but my grandma had some old hippy stuff at her house from the '60s.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Get hosed Gianforte

https://twitter.com/funder/status/868142498450989058

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

no they didn't

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I'm actually not *that* old but my grandma had some old hippy stuff at her house from the '60s.

I absolutely could not determine what was factiousness and what was ignorance in this derail

Edit:

Sheesh, of loving course he was. Why am I surprised

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
2017 is pretty far left from 1960.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm still confused and just want my dang map.

Edit: and also a nap.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I thought something along these lines was reported yesterday?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Well, anyone can report anyone to the FBI for anything. I'd wait to see if the FBI takes it seriously to get excited.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm still confused and just want my dang map.

Edit: and also a nap.

Age of Aquarius is an extremely popular song from the 1969 musical "Hair." It is on Billboard's list of "100 Best Songs of All-Time" and "100 Most Recognizable Songs of All-Time."

It became associated with the hippie movement because of the movie/musical.

It is referenced in dozens of movies, including The 40-Year Old Virgin.

Saying it is from an "old movie" seems like you are talking about Hair, but since the joke is that he was a youngster for not getting the reference, calling The 40-Year Old Virgin from 2005 an "old movie" subverts the expectation.

:thejoke:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 26, 2017

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The hippies of the 60s were a vocal minority among their generation sort of like how the internet alt right are today.

The boomers were always selfish fuckers, they didn't grow into it.

^^This^^

And remember they were also facing a draft, So a lot of them were hippies out of self-interest of not being sent to die in Vietnam rather than due to any larger ideological reasons. Boomers by and large are horrible self-centered poo poo-heels who happily took advantage of the ladder to prosperity that the New Deal and Great Society programs gave them then proceeded to pull it up after themselves to be sure no one else came along to supplant them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

I thought something along these lines was reported yesterday?

It's been known he has Russian money since at least last week. But he won, hammer down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

2017 is pretty far left from 1960.

People's perception of the 60s is seriously clouded by the usual highlights. For example the Vietnam War was ridiculously popular for basically the entire decade, despite the high profile student protests.

• Locked thread