Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Sagebrush posted:

tfw you realize that the cop in Gremlins is Mike

For a second I thought the sheriff from Gremlins was the sheriff in Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Probably because it occupies the same nostalgic cinematic headspace.

That is my Gremlins police department story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

FuhrerHat posted:

I still can't get past Gus' little: "I know you were all scared yesterday, but don't worry, those guys were just Mexican mafia! And I didn't pay them! So don't worry!"

Every single one of those kids is going to talk to the cops. It better come up next episode.

Has anyone ever had a boss as nice and appreciative as Gus? Has anyone ever SEEN one?

Those kids ain't saying poo poo.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The assistant manager definitely seemed like the coolaid lifer type so if he hasn't said anything yet I doubt he'll say anything in the future (aside from the obvious "that subplot is done" part)

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Mob posted:

Has anyone ever had a boss as nice and appreciative as Gus? Has anyone ever SEEN one?

Those kids ain't saying poo poo.

Gus is most definitely a great boss at the chicken shop, the likes of which these folks may very well never see again. But I'm telling you that if I'm one of those employees, I'm not assuming that's the end of the matter, and I'm starting my job search the very first thing the next morning.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Gus is most definitely a great boss at the chicken shop, the likes of which these folks may very well never see again. But I'm telling you that if I'm one of those employees, I'm not assuming that's the end of the matter, and I'm starting my job search the very first thing the next morning.

As a character on a television show I,

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Sounds like you hate America or something. Gus and the Los Pollos Hermanos family will be better off without you.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

vermin posted:

"Man, I used to be the back alley doctor for the Sopranos and now I'm bottom-feeding in New Mexico...I'm so much better than this place."

I could totally buy Breaking Bad and The Sopranos exist in the same universe.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Cnut the Great posted:

Sounds like you hate America or something. Gus and the Los Pollos Hermanos family will be better off without you.

Well, now that you mention it, I did find Gus's speech about America almost as stirring as one of Oliver Douglas's speeches about being a farmer.

...edit to add a better example.

Secret Agent X23 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 26, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

I could totally buy Breaking Bad and The Sopranos exist in the same universe.

This puts BCS in the same universe with the Americans too, then - we know the Russian shopkeeper emigrated to the US in the early 90s and became manager of a home care nursing business.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Lalo is going to be Pryce's pseudonym, folks.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=lalo-berezo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Huh?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

:iiabr: (It is a baseball reference)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pryce isn't a major league baseball player though? He collects baseball cards.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Last Chance posted:

Walter White wasn't a quantum physicist

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This thread has taken a disappointing turn.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

people who use pseudonyms may sometimes choose to take the name of a person they admire

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

RCarr posted:

This thread has taken a disappointing turn.

Yeah, but it's Friday. Usually, the disappointing turn happens on Wednesday.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, but it's Friday. Usually, the disappointing turn happens on Wednesday.

FYI: no new episode this Monday, so... enjoy another full week of this poo poo! :haw:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

INH5 posted:

Yeah, the whole Ricin plot was a big stumbling block for me back when BB first aired. Even if we assume that Walt found out who Brock and Adrea were and where they lived through Facebook or a PI or something, I just can't see any way for Walt to get a kid he doesn't know to eat something without anyone else noticing, or at the very least Brock saying something to Andrea about it.

The only remotely plausible scenario is that Saul gave some poisoned candy or something to Brock, but that raises a bunch of other questions. I have a really hard time imagining Saul agreeing to be part of a plan like that without getting very specific answers to some very important questions. And if Saul did know the details, that means that not only did he lie to Jesse later, but that he was willing to risk the consequences of getting caught poisoning a child for, what, exactly? Walt couldn't even offer Saul a bunch of money, because he was pretty close to broke at the time.

This and the plane crash felt like moments where the writers tried a little too hard to be clever at the expense of having the story hold together.

That is exactly what happened. Walt knew Saul was in contact with Andrea making money drops for Jesse, so he gave Saul a Lilly of the Valley-laced sucker to give to Brock. He told Saul it would just make him 'a little sick' and Saul was pissed that instead it put him in the ICU.

edit: Remember when that one BB thread poster was so sure it WASN'T Lilly of the Valley that he toxxed himself to never post in a BB thread again if it turned out to be the case? Never saw that dude again. Good times...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 26, 2017

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

That is exactly what happened. Walt knew Saul was in contact with Andrea making money drops for Jesse, so he gave Saul a Lilly of the Valley-laced sucker to give to Brock. He told Saul it would just make him 'a little sick' and Saul was pissed that instead it put him in the ICU.

edit: Remember when that one BB thread poster was so sure it WASN'T Lilly of the Valley that he toxxed himself to never post in a BB thread again if it turned out to be the case? Never saw that dude again. Good times...

That was me, actually, and I never did, but I'm here on a technicality. I still think that was a ridiculous leap, but I've made peace with it. (My argument was that there was zero way that Walt could have done the poisoning, save for having Saul do it, and Saul wouldn't do that, which I actually believe even more during the run of this show)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, I refuse to believe Saul directly helped poison Brock. Someone mentioned earlier that Francesca was shredding school schedules, but I specifically remember the podcast debunking that, saying it was just prop paper that they had lying around and it wasn't meant to be seen.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

FYI: no new episode this Monday

God damnit. I always forget about this. :sigh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

ALFbrot posted:

That was me, actually, and I never did, but I'm here on a technicality. I still think that was a ridiculous leap, but I've made peace with it. (My argument was that there was zero way that Walt could have done the poisoning, save for having Saul do it, and Saul wouldn't do that, which I actually believe even more during the run of this show)

The last few BB threads were crazy in general, but good on you for sticking to your word. Chuck would be proud :911: And in your defense that was one of the first times in the entire series that the show hid something like that from the viewers. Can't think of another time when a character knows something that the audience doesn't and uses it to trick us.

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, I refuse to believe Saul directly helped poison Brock. Someone mentioned earlier that Francesca was shredding school schedules, but I specifically remember the podcast debunking that, saying it was just prop paper that they had lying around and it wasn't meant to be seen.

I can't find a clip but I'm pretty sure I remember a scene where he admits as much. Walt undersold how sick Brock would get but Saul put the candy in his hand when he was at the house for a money drop. They set it up before by showing him at an earlier drop and giving an actual piece of candy to Brock.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nail Rat posted:

God damnit. I always forget about this. :sigh:

Oh gently caress I forgot too

BCS and burritos is my monday ritual and I look forward to it all week :(

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
They could've done an entire episode about Saul making patriotic ads!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think this is new:

http://www.saulgoodmanproductions.com/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

I can't find a clip but I'm pretty sure I remember a scene where he admits as much. Walt undersold how sick Brock would get but Saul put the candy in his hand when he was at the house for a money drop. They set it up before by showing him at an earlier drop and giving an actual piece of candy to Brock.

Saul only discusses his role in Brock being poisoned once with the following dialog from s5, ep 11 "Confessions" when Jesse breaks into his office:

"I had Huell lift your cigarette, but Walt made me. He told me he was helping you, he was saving you. I never would've agreed to it if I'd known what he was gonna do. Jesse, you gotta believe me. I didn't want any of this!"

You could also argue that Saul giving him a piece of candy just sets up the idea of him being poisoned in general, not that Saul specifically did it.

edit: Also, pretty sure Saul was not doing money drops when Walt comes up with the Lily of the Valley idea. Saul was laying low and we never see a money drop during the two episodes where Walt and Gus are "facing off"

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 27, 2017

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am enjoying the season but I could go for some happier conniving Saul.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was rewatching the Better Call Saul episode of Breaking Bad. Jesse and Walt flip a coin to see who will go in and talk to Saul in person to try to get badger out of jail (with Walt losing the flip), and I just remembered that really early in S1 they flip a coin to see who will kill Krazy-8 and who will dispose of the body. They really got past that trauma nicely. Now I gotta look out for coin flips in BCS and try to remember other times they came up in BB, I feel like they couldn't have just stopped at two.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

NowonSA posted:

I was rewatching the Better Call Saul episode of Breaking Bad. Jesse and Walt flip a coin to see who will go in and talk to Saul in person to try to get badger out of jail (with Walt losing the flip), and I just remembered that really early in S1 they flip a coin to see who will kill Krazy-8 and who will dispose of the body. They really got past that trauma nicely. Now I gotta look out for coin flips in BCS and try to remember other times they came up in BB, I feel like they couldn't have just stopped at two.

Skyler flips a coin at the four corners monument when she's trying to decide whether or not to leave or stay with Walt

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Last Chance posted:

Skyler flips a coin at the four corners monument when she's trying to decide whether or not to leave or stay with Walt

Gah of course, how could I forget this one. Okay they hit a nice even rule of 3, that's cool.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I didn't know the shredding school schedules were BS until now. I'd always assumed based on that that Saul gave Walt some information about what time Brock would be going between classes, going to recess, or going to lunch. Then Walt concocted some story so he could be along with Brock and give him some poison-mixed food. Perhaps Walt had Huell and Kuby distract the teachers or something.

This is a blank that I've thought for a long time that Better Call Saul could fill and it would be good to see since it's a pivotal moment for Saul. It's a moment where Saul finally wants out and isn't allowed by Walt to get out. They'd have to find a actor that looks like Brock.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

NowonSA posted:

Gah of course, how could I forget this one. Okay they hit a nice even rule of 3, that's cool.

Another thing I've noticed is the use of pools. Don Eladio, Hector, Jimmy, and the Skyler family all have scenes while in or near a pool.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Another thing I've noticed is the use of pools. Don Eladio, Hector, Jimmy, and the Skyler family all have scenes while in or near a pool.

eh.... it's super hot in the desert south west?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Squashy Nipples posted:

eh.... it's super hot in the desert south west?

Albuquerque is actually surprisingly cool, due to the elevation. It's still hot compared to northern climes but it tends to top out around 90 or 95 in the summer, it's no Vegas.

It's still hot enough that it's weird how everyone in the BB universe is always wearing jackets.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's still hot enough that it's weird how everyone in the BB universe is always wearing jackets.

You could see Saul and his camera crew's misting breaths when they were in the car outside the music shop. They must film during winter.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh my god yes.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

"PANNING (WHEELCHAIR) SHOT"

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh gently caress I forgot too

BCS and burritos is my monday ritual and I look forward to it all week :(

Considering the style of drama this is; I really hate that it takes a year to release a new season. I have worked in tv and film environments and this is really quick and easy stuff. Must just be a PR thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Manic X posted:

Considering the style of drama this is; I really hate that it takes a year to release a new season. I have worked in tv and film environments and this is really quick and easy stuff. Must just be a PR thing.

Yearly seasons are the norm

• Locked thread