Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

remember metal gear acid?? also

Is there a term for stdh that's, like, "Even if this were true you're a lovely person"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Andrast posted:

Saying that the combat is atrocious is a bit too far. It works fine but isn't great.

Yeah, it feels a little more fluid than the older Final Fantasy games, anyways. One complaint I really can't address that people have with the series as a whole is "combat is just pressing X over and over again," and I sort of can't argue with them. In most FF games, the actual combat is all done in the prep before battle. FF15 has some issues but it at least lets you block, surround things, use AoE attacks, build meters and spend them, etc.

It's glitchy as all heck and sometimes Noct seems to just teleport back and forth, and it feels like by the time you've gotten to the third area, there isn't a ton of new stuff to learn, though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
FF15 will forever be bad solely because of that one trailer where they made it look like they had a bunch of different gameplay with the different characters, like making the gun-guy's gameplay look like a third person shooter, and then the actual game is just like you only play as the one dude I guess??

That's pretty lame imo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, it feels a little more fluid than the older Final Fantasy games, anyways. One complaint I really can't address that people have with the series as a whole is "combat is just pressing X over and over again," and I sort of can't argue with them. In most FF games, the actual combat is all done in the prep before battle. FF15 has some issues but it at least lets you block, surround things, use AoE attacks, build meters and spend them, etc.

It's glitchy as all heck and sometimes Noct seems to just teleport back and forth, and it feels like by the time you've gotten to the third area, there isn't a ton of new stuff to learn, though.

the only ff with good combat is lightning returns

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Is there a term for stdh that's, like, "Even if this were true you're a lovely person"?

yastdh?

aka

you're a poo poo that didn't happen

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
All turn based RPGs should have a turbo/fast forward button automatically bound to L1 on the controller so you can speed poo poo up.

vvvv I have never heard of this but I bet that's a good game because of this important feature

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hexyz Force does that on PSP

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

FF15 will forever be bad solely because of that one trailer where they made it look like they had a bunch of different gameplay with the different characters, like making the gun-guy's gameplay look like a third person shooter, and then the actual game is just like you only play as the one dude I guess??

That's pretty lame imo.

Your buds are there to say things like "Yay! Bathtime!" and "You might be better with a rod than you are with a sword" but yeah, the closest you get to controlling them is issuing commands as to which of them does the big attack once the meter fills up, basically. Supposedly DLC is going to focus on the other three guys.

The Cindy boob controversy makes every scene with her in it weird and uncomfortable.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

uhhhhhh in the gladio dlc you get to play as him for an hour

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phantasium posted:

yastdh?

aka

you're a poo poo that didn't happen

swagdh (poo poo we're all glad didn't happen)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

uhhhhhh in the gladio dlc you get to play as him for an hour

lol. i didn't even know it had come out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Your buds are there to say things like "Yay! Bathtime!" and "You might be better with a rod than you are with a sword" but yeah, the closest you get to controlling them is issuing commands as to which of them does the big attack once the meter fills up, basically. Supposedly DLC is going to focus on the other three guys.

The Cindy boob controversy makes every scene with her in it weird and uncomfortable.

e: whoops, forums ate my post.

I was asking "Cindy boob controversy?"

and then I went on about how FF Type Zero looks like fun and if I ever get a chance to play it, I'm gonna have fun experimenting with all of the different weapon styles

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cindy, the mechanic in the game, is basically dressed in tiny short shorts and a shirt that shows most of her bra and spends a whole bunch of the game bending over, and of course, because it is stupid, people complained, then some other people started in with the "those durn SJWs" and it went on and on and now every time I go to get the car detailed, I want to yell at my screen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Switch's graphics are kind of nuts considering its a portable, legit impressed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bicyclops posted:

and now every time I go to get the car detailed, I want to yell at my screen.

Pretty funny out of context line.

It's like a Brian Regan joke. "They put a skimpily dressed mechanic in a video game, one thing led to another... and now I want to scream every time I get my car detailed!"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sakurazuka posted:

The Switch's graphics are kind of nuts considering its a portable, legit impressed.

It's seriously kinda jaw dropping that that tiny little thing can do Breath of the Wild, let alone whatever else

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't know how to properly explain it other than "pixel density!" but Mario Kart 8 on the Switch in portable mode is one of the most visually pleasing experiences I've ever had in a game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

how are those trails of cold steel games, and should i play them on my pstv because i dont wanna have to find my dualshock 3 and ps3 wherever th ehell it is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO_5R_DMCJA

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

how are those trails of cold steel games, and should i play them on my pstv because i dont wanna have to find my dualshock 3 and ps3 wherever th ehell it is
Great JRPGs with a strong emphasis on world building (so they're usually pretty slow to get going), but it's also coming out on PC if you'd prefer that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Great JRPGs with a strong emphasis on world building (so they're usually pretty slow to get going), but it's also coming out on PC if you'd prefer that.

I'm like 90% sure my laptop can't run it anyway, but some Vita ports are unplayably shoddy so I was just wondering if it was acceptable. Gonna check it out then, thx!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Koi No Yokushiryoku is a compelling case for PW being one of the best MGS games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is now when we argue about whether Metal Gear is anime?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Snak posted:

It is full stop

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCqmtIRhEFg&t=826s

*adds to "Anime" file on desk*

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

at least the first game has a pretty sluggish pace but if you liked the Trails in the Sky combat you should at least enjoy cold steel. there's some differences, some simplifications of the quartz system.

be prepared for lengthy times of not-combat though where you're just running around doing errands, either on your field story or at the school. and cutscenes cutscenes cutscenes

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
A video game to surpass anime

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

My favorite Metal Gear thing is still Quiet being replaced with an Ocelot model for the rolling in the rain scene. Just remembering it makes me laugh, it should have been like that in the original.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I'm so glad I never played that game. That looks like the worst boss fight ever. Or that person is really bad at it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm like 90% sure my laptop can't run it anyway, but some Vita ports are unplayably shoddy so I was just wondering if it was acceptable. Gonna check it out then, thx!

The Cold Steel Vita ports are alright. Load times are a little bit longer, there's some frame drop during wide-angle shots in towns, later on there's a man who lights himself on fire to murder your frame rates.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think Final Fantasy XV has a good story that's poorly told and puts the barely scrutable motivations for the villain at the very end of the game. I like how it treats the core party and how that feeds into the theme of growing up and accepting responsibility, not just for yourself but for others, and being ready to face hardships knowing that your best times are behind you. It's bittersweet, it's different from the rest of the series by a long shot, and I embraced it. I didn't speed through the game but once I started to be pushed forward I never went back until after the credits rolled, and I think that may have colored my reception of it in a way that someone who took late game breaks to finish hunts might not share. For all the fantasy elements surrounding it, I think it's one of the most real stories in the FF series.

suuma posted:

All turn based RPGs should have a turbo/fast forward button automatically bound to L1 on the controller so you can speed poo poo up.

vvvv I have never heard of this but I bet that's a good game because of this important feature

World of Final Fantasy has this and it really should be in every RPG.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Woff is too slow even with turbo mode imho

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Basically fast forward and save states should be in everything that has the power to handle them. They can not give people achievements for taking the coward's way out with save states or whatever but fast forward and insta-saves are just good, quality of life things to have.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Your laptop can definitely run the prequel trilogy Trails in the Sky though(I managed to run all 3 games on a netbook) Which you should at least try before jumping into the CS games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sOO5HUv12c

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

:popeye:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I dunno much about tales of the abyss but based on my knowledge of the plot, I think the ff7 comparison is fairly apt yeah?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
akechi why do you think you are my friend

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kinda but not really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees