Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fartzone_42069 posted:

Whoa this is nice! Thanks. :)

Stays open when I close all tabs. Option to download things to SD card. Catch up Chrome!

I'd also give Firefox a go! Firefox Android is surprisingly fast and good, and you can install the uBlock Origin extension.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Tried out PocketCasts and it's pretty much exactly what I wanted. Thanks. :)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I take it the thread wouldn't have much nice to say about Xiaomi phones? I'm looking at the Note 4 and it looks pretty compelling for it's price.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

I take it the thread wouldn't have much nice to say about Xiaomi phones? I'm looking at the Note 4 and it looks pretty compelling for it's price.

The thread doesn't have much to say about Xiaomi phones period because most of us are in the US where they aren't readily available. Given that most, if not all, Chinese phones come with backdoors preinstalled I'd take a grim view toward them but if that doesn't bother you then have at it. Most say they run fairly well for a decent price and I have no reason to doubt that but in the US we have the Moto G5+ for $230 (with ads) and probably no preinstalled backdoors so there isn't much point in looking further for a better deal.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That's kind of what I figured. Here in Europe the situation is a bit different in that the G5+ is 275 Euros whereas the Note 4, which seems comparable specs wise, can be imported for a total of about 135 Euro. The thought of there being a more likely backdoor does make me wary however.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

That's kind of what I figured. Here in Europe the situation is a bit different in that the G5+ is 275 Euros whereas the Note 4, which seems comparable specs wise, can be imported for a total of about 135 Euro. The thought of there being a more likely backdoor does make me wary however.

Given the rate with which they're discovered in Chinese brands and the various excuses offered up once publicly accused, I'd say it's more of a definite than than a possibility. Of course your worry isn't that the Chinese government (or any government) is going to hoover up your data, it's that malicious actors will discover and exploit the backdoor for their purposes. I'd say the threat level is pretty low and unless you plan on organizing resistance to the Chinese government, you'll probably be okay.

There's actually a somewhat dormant thread about Chinese phones that might be more knowledgeable on the subject.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 26, 2017

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Yes Google can still infer stuff

Sinister Looking Faces in Top Floor of GoogleCorp War Room
*user toggles button off*

poo poo!! Our man on the inside has gone dark. We will have to fall back on inferrence.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

OnePlus to discontinue its 5-month-old smartphone, OnePlus 3T

http://www.gadgetsnow.com/tech-news/oneplus-to-discontinue-its-5-month-old-smartphone-oneplus-3t/articleshow/58852675.cms

But yea, keep buying those garbage phones folks

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

vyst posted:

OnePlus to discontinue its 5-month-old smartphone, OnePlus 3T

http://www.gadgetsnow.com/tech-news/oneplus-to-discontinue-its-5-month-old-smartphone-oneplus-3t/articleshow/58852675.cms

But yea, keep buying those garbage phones folks

Who cares about the OnePlus 3T when the OnePlus 5 will be out soon? Its *TWO* more! Think of all the rams.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I;m thinking about thos RAMs

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I;m thinking about thos RAMs

RAM PILED HIGH

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It's a RAMpage!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OnePlus better watch out for Nokia.

http://phandroid.com/2017/05/26/nokia-9-benchmark/amp/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol where are the OnePlus defenders itt now?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol where are the OnePlus defenders itt now?

On the LineageOS nightly download page, where else?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

On the LineageOS nightly download page, where else?

I was gonna say, probably r/Android too

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was gonna say, probably r/Android too

Pretty sure even most of r/Android thinks OnePlus is garbage at this point.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
androidreviews.png

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What is this garbage?

I get data usage alert notification every month after I use 2GB after 15th. When I press on billing cycle it'll just throw me to home screen while pressing mobile data usage takes me to the graph and breakdown like expected. I have no way to get to that "fake" screen from anywhere but the dumb notification I keep getting.

My real data usage page looks like this:

With billing cycle being from 1st to 31st and data usage alerts and limitations are all off.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is this the OnePlus3 that you got from a friend, from looking back at your previous posts?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

sirbeefalot posted:

Is this the OnePlus3 that you got from a friend, from looking back at your previous posts?

Mhm.

It's a huge upgrade from my old HTC One Mini with dead battery in all areas besides size and screen plus I got it for free so pls nobody yell at me for having OnePlus.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

SinineSiil posted:

Mhm.

It's a huge upgrade from my old HTC One Mini with dead battery in all areas besides size and screen plus I got it for free so pls nobody yell at me for having OnePlus.

I mean, the thread title clearly says don't BUY one. Free seems like about the right price for one.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
OnePlus news is always funny

I will miss them when they're gone

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

One plus one equals two gigabyte fake data limit warning

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

May 9:

No, OnePlus 3T 128GB smartphone is not being discontinued

http://www.gadgetsnow.com/tech-news/no-oneplus-3t-128gb-smartphone-is-not-being-discontinued/articleshow/58588803.cms

May 26:

Hmmmmm

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SinineSiil posted:

What is this garbage?

I get data usage alert notification every month after I use 2GB after 15th. When I press on billing cycle it'll just throw me to home screen while pressing mobile data usage takes me to the graph and breakdown like expected. I have no way to get to that "fake" screen from anywhere but the dumb notification I keep getting.

My real data usage page looks like this:

With billing cycle being from 1st to 31st and data usage alerts and limitations are all off.

When the notification comes up, long press it and see what's generating the notification.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ugh, my 5x just shut down randomly at 60% battery. Would only turn on to the boot loader screens few times but would lock up when I'd select "Start". Now it won't turn on at all. I'm sure I could go through LG but I can't be without a phone so I went through Google's insurance, which will ship next business day... Which is Tuesday. Love traveling with no phone!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Does someone at Sony actually get paid to come up with names for their phones?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SinineSiil posted:

What is this garbage?
What app does it show up as in task switcher?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Tunga posted:

What app does it show up as in task switcher?

Uh, settings?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The first screenshot is identical to the one I get when I go settings - > data usage on stock Android. I've never seen a screen that looks like the second screenshot. What phone are you using?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A One Plus 3, I think.

SinineSiil posted:

Uh, settings?

He's asking because it's malware.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

A One Plus 3, I think.

Feature not bug

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

A One Plus 3, I think.

But enough about LineageOS

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Welp, bought a G5 Plus since I don't think my N6 battery will hold up for the rest of this trip. So far so good. Only problem is that apparently there's fuckall for cases available in Indianapolis.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Welp, bought a G5 Plus since I don't think my N6 battery will hold up for the rest of this trip. So far so good. Only problem is that apparently there's fuckall for cases available in Indianapolis.

Know anyone with Prime wihle you're there? Might could next day one from Amazon.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

See if you can grab a Diztronic case on Prime Now or something.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nothing on Prime Now, unfortunately. Prime next-day would get it here when I'm at the race and I'm leaving the day after, so I've just got to keep it clean for two days.

Thermopyle posted:

I debated putting this here or in the app thread, but I'll put it here since an app is just part of it...

I've been using a VPN on my phone for a month or so now. I've always meant to get around to it and the recent brouhaha about VPNs got me to get around to doing it.

The main problem with most of your options for a VPN is that you basically just have to accept the word of whatever company you're paying for VPN service that they're doing The Right Thing. I never liked that, but I also never liked the idea of having to figure out how to set up my own VPN and being confident that I did it correctly and securely.

Enter algo. If you're a even just barely a technical person you can figure out how to run this script which sets up your own VPN for you on a cloud server at the provider of your choice and then gives you the instructions to set it up on your phone. After that all your traffic is encrypted between your phone and your cloud server before heading out to the wide internet. Also (optionally) blocks ads.

At a high level it works like this:

1. You set up an account at one of DigitalOcean, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, or your own server.
2. You run the script.
3. The script uses your account credentials to create a new server at one of the above services.
4. The script logs in to the new server and installs and configures the VPN software.
5. You install the VPN app on your phone.
6. ...
7. Profit.

Anyway, I guess consider this a recommendation for algo.

Editing to say thank you for this recommendation, this is slick as hell.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 27, 2017

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did you already check Best Buy? Seems like a couple of stores out there should have this Incipio case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IOwnCalculus posted:

Editing to say thank you for this recommendation, this is slick as hell.

No problemo! The main downside is that on Android you have to use the strongSwan client instead of it being built-in like iOS and I've found that ~1 time per week its disconnected itself for some reason. Just have to notice when that happens and press the connect button again.