Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hey, I had friends who were into Foamy back in 2005! Granted we were all teenagers back then but....well...okay there's no excuse.

I'll have to keep an eye out for if the Decline of Video Gaming people have any politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I knew a kid who wore overalls to school prrtty often, and had foamy patches on them. One time he decided that I hadn't gotten enough of the meat of some chicken wings and proceeded to grab them and start sucking whatever he could off of them. I don't have high hopes for how the last 10 years have treated him.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

The pedantic Romantic defending the honour of anime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV8MIpt1oGs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mewnie posted:

So I've noticed something on Twitter- I get promoted tweets and whenever a trailer for the upcoming Baywatch movie comes up, a flood of Libertarians, Pepe and Classical bust avatars start saying how terrible it is and why does "Holly-pedo-wood" keep making this trash :allears:

Is this part of their war against Cultural Marxism? Shitposting on Twitter about dumb comedy movies? This is the culture wars to them?

Hang on why do libertarians dislike the idea of inappropriate contact with children?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
For anyone curious, the Foamy guy was run out Newgrounds on a rail after making a cartoon with no animation that was just Foamy complaining about Mexican immigrants. Really, he even called them 'Wetbacks', and later made this 'I'm sorry except obviously I'm not' follow up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSzP4KFwC50

Sadly this cartoon is the only direct evidence of the incident I can find, the original has disappeared from the internet. You do have to marvel at someone being enough an rear end in a top hat to get kicked out of Newgrounds for racism though.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

OwlFancier posted:

Hang on why do libertarians dislike the idea of inappropriate contact with children?

Rational actors should be able to sell their bodies at any age

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

khwarezm posted:

For anyone curious, the Foamy guy was run out Newgrounds on a rail after making a cartoon with no animation that was just Foamy complaining about Mexican immigrants. Really, he even called them 'Wetbacks', and later made this 'I'm sorry except obviously I'm not' follow up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSzP4KFwC50

Sadly this cartoon is the only direct evidence of the incident I can find, the original has disappeared from the internet. You do have to marvel at someone being enough an rear end in a top hat to get kicked out of Newgrounds for racism though.

Ho-lee poo poo I did not know that. That's loving hilarious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Rational actors should be able to sell their bodies at any age

No I mean why would libertarians complain about kiddy fiddling, they're all for it?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh misread. Because they have no principles and pedophilia is bad so our enemies do it

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So Laci Green posted a follow up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZGVlb9cwYg
"Both sides are bad,you guys!"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Forceholy posted:

Like, one side plans on killing and ethnically cleansing millions and dragging humanity back to jim crow and apartheid and racial discrimination.

The other believe in economic justice and equality and has kooky names for gender Identities.

these are both the same.

gently caress people are loving stupid.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I mean, Dickie Spencer probably wanted that Hypatia article retracted too, but because he doesn't think women should be able to read. Really makes you think.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh misread. Because they have no principles and pedophilia is bad so our enemies do it

My best guess at this point is "When we talk about age of consent, it's okay. But those lie-berals and their Pizza Sex Rings Are bad pee pee do doo."

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

One thing I've noticed about quite a few of these 'intellectuals' they tend to take 30 minutes where 5-10 would have been more than enough. Is there a reason for this other than they're gibbering wrecks?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

bessantj posted:

One thing I've noticed about quite a few of these 'intellectuals' they tend to take 30 minutes where 5-10 would have been more than enough. Is there a reason for this other than they're gibbering wrecks?

They subscribe to the philosophy that more = better than.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

bessantj posted:

Longer videos means more ads they can put in?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i love sargon getting triggered to the point he's yelling about his hilariously insane belief that feminism created elliot rodger. did sargon ever read rodger's "manifesto" (really an autobiography) or watch his videos? this is a rhetorical question since we all know the answer.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Who What Now posted:

They subscribe to the philosophy that more = better than.

It's maddening, I've seen it in Sargon videos, thunderf00t did it a lot in his Sarkeesian videos. I keep thinking "Yeah, you already said." half the time when I watch their videos.

aware of dog posted:

That does make sense. Wish they'd include more topics or expand on what they are talking about.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

bessantj posted:

It's maddening, I've seen it in Sargon videos, thunderf00t did it a lot in his Sarkeesian videos. I keep thinking "Yeah, you already said." half the time when I watch their videos.

I mentioned this about thunderf00t's video posted earlier. Dude could've easily said his piece in 5 minutes, instead of, what, 25? He had one main point that was "The skeptic community is full of assholes that'd laugh at someone's murder because they're not 'on our side'" stretched out with other bullshit including a literal two-minute hate about Anita Sarkeesian.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

bessantj posted:

That does make sense. Wish they'd include more topics or expand on what they are talking about.

I think you're expecting a bit too much from people whose primary occupation is whining about women on the internet

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

did sargon ever read ... or watch...

Sargon is quite infamous for being functional illiterate or at least having provably abysmal reading comprehension skills. Hbomberguy posted something a while back that showed that Sargon put out a huge rear end whiny comment section rant responding to Hbomb's fantastic takedown of him where the time stamps prove Carl did not even watch the loving video before he starting spewing bullshit about it.

Why do people take this man seriously? :confused:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Carl has included counters to his arguments in his own videos because he doesn't pay attention. Shawn shows it in at least one videk

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

bessantj posted:

Nerds have conflated length of something to quality. "How can a post about how black people are subhuman be wrong? Look at all of the sources! (ignore that the sources are full of poo poo)" is a really common thing on reddit. Like 40 godawful biased, manipulated stories means that something is automatically correct.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

I mentioned this about thunderf00t's video posted earlier. Dude could've easily said his piece in 5 minutes, instead of, what, 25? He had one main point that was "The skeptic community is full of assholes that'd laugh at someone's murder because they're not 'on our side'" stretched out with other bullshit including a literal two-minute hate about Anita Sarkeesian.

I was always disappointed in thunderf00t, he's well educated certainly more than I am yet he seems more concerned (or was when I stopped watching him) with making the same take down video over and over and over again rather than making something educational or thought provoking.

aware of dog posted:

I think you're expecting a bit too much from people whose primary occupation is whining about women on the internet

You could be right there.

PenguinKnight posted:

Nerds have conflated length of something to quality. "How can a post about how black people are subhuman be wrong? Look at all of the sources! (ignore that the sources are full of poo poo)" is a really common thing on reddit. Like 40 godawful biased, manipulated stories means that something is automatically correct.

Bet those fuckers feel smug when they watch one of those vids as well.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 26, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

PenguinKnight posted:

These are also the same idiots that dismiss liberal arts and social studies as irrelevant because they're not "fact" so they probably missed Shakespeare's line about brevity being the soul of wit.

Also any real effort at communication.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Forceholy posted:

I was concerned she was going to become a ~*hatemonger*~ but she just turned into South Park, lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As a somewhat random Youtuber-related comment, something about that way that Philip Defranco guy talks really annoys me. Like, he always has this "guy walking up to a clearly-upset girl and acting concerned in a poorly concealed attempt to hit on her" tone of voice and demeanor. Or like he's trying to heavily emphasize the face that he's being honest and "real" with his audience. It's hard to explain, but it is super obnoxious.

edit: Like I can easily see that guy walking up to some upset girl and sitting really close next to her and putting his arm around her while ignoring her obvious discomfort with the situation.

aware of dog posted:

I want to say that there's something about Youtube's monetization system that means you have to make videos be over a certain length to optimize ad income.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 26, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that is the perfect way to describe how he talks and emotes. it's loving terrible. most youtube people have lovely voices/manner of speaking/expressions and i dunno how they grab a following.

laci green has a very weird way of talking (like only her mouth moves or she talks out of the side in a weird way) and i feel comfortable saying that now that she's a shithead.

thunderf00t sounds like he's gargling constantly.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Shawn has a Liverpool accent.

nauseating

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

that is the perfect way to describe how he talks and emotes. it's loving terrible. most youtube people have lovely voices/manner of speaking/expressions and i dunno how they grab a following.

laci green has a very weird way of talking (like only her mouth moves or she talks out of the side in a weird way) and i feel comfortable saying that now that she's a shithead.

I think a big part of it is that a huge portion of some of these folks' viewing base are literal teenagers (this is at least definitely the case with Defranco and probably also Laci Green). Teenagers don't really have a developed or normal (for an adult) sense of whether behavior is awkward and often just sort of assume "if this person is relatively good looking and energetic in their mannerisms, they must be also be funny", so a lot of behavior that is clearly kinda strange or awkward to adults comes off as really appealing to them. I think that "super random monkeycheese" humor is probably the best example of this, at least when referring to my generation (went to high school 2000-2004).

There's also an element of Youtube-specific culture and behavioral norms that seem really weird to anyone not already immersed in that "community".

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

I think a big part of it is that a huge portion of some of these folks' viewing base are literal teenagers (this is at least definitely the case with Defranco and probably also Laci Green). Teenagers don't really have a developed or normal (for an adult) sense of whether behavior is awkward and often just sort of assume "if this person is relatively good looking and energetic in their mannerisms, they must be also be funny", so a lot of behavior that is clearly kinda strange or awkward to adults comes off as really appealing to them. I think that "super random monkeycheese" humor is probably the best example of this, at least when referring to my generation (went to high school 2000-2004).

There's also an element of Youtube-specific culture and behavioral norms that seem really weird to anyone not already immersed in that "community".

You also have to make jumpcuts and cartonish facial expressions to get your feelings across. When i think about it Kevin Logan does the latter a lot though but only with his left eyebrow.

mojo1701a posted:

Thunderfoot always had long videos though, like his "Why people laugh at creationists" series. My impression of those videos is that he makes up all his points and sums it up repeating his message to make it clear. Now, however he just makes his points and every time he makes a new point he utters the same line. For example in one of his latest videos he keeps repeating *BEFORE THE BODY IS COLD!*

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 26, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

length isn't really a problem if the video is good. i've watched hour long plus videos about why fallout 3 or fallout 4 are bad (one of em by our very own hbomberguy) because both of those games were very bad and it's interesting seeing someone put it all together.

the problem with antifeminists and poo poo is they don't have enough material to the fill the time so they just loving ramble on for ages.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Just play it in the background. They're basically podcasts but with video to be on youtube

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

"if this person is relatively good looking and energetic in their mannerisms, they must be also be funny"

Are you talking about H. Bomberguy or the nazis?

e: Well apart from the good-looking bit I guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are you talking about H. Bomberguy or the nazis?

e: Well apart from the good-looking bit I guess.

One thing I will admit about HBomberguy's videos is that, while they're good at owning dumb Youtubers, it's a little cringeworthy when he does that "obviously forcing himself to act like he's laughing a bunch" thing. Like I get that he's trying to indicate that the clip he just showed (or whatever) is so dumb/bad that it warrants a bunch of laughing, but it's really obviously being forced on his part.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I will admit about HBomberguy's videos is that, while they're good at owning dumb Youtubers, it's a little cringeworthy when he does that "obviously forcing himself to act like he's laughing a bunch" thing. Like I get that he's trying to indicate that the clip he just showed (or whatever) is so dumb/bad that it warrants a bunch of laughing, but it's really obviously being forced on his part.

If it's anything like Sargon's forced laughs it must be really beyond terrrible.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Ytlaya posted:

I just assumed people who have weird hobbies like mocking broken people on the interent have weird laughs. Like sometimes it feels forced, but only ever strange in a way that fits the overall strangeness of his videos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

British people cannot laugh, we merely affect the display of the emotion to put people less depressed at ease.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah brits are laughing is that scene from t2 where the terminator tries to smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

I knew I wasn't the only one who noticed.

• Locked thread