Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've never seen anyone win that game. I know in theory someone does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Griffin, on a podcast called Woodland Secrets. (via)

I listened to this on a plane today and found it interesting, but also rolled my eyes a bit when they espoused how awesome it was that teens can ignore school and learn about advanced social issues from Tumblr all day.

I don't know if tumblr actually does have a lot of good content about social issues though, my view is skewed from seeing only the ridiculous stuff that gets posted here and elsewhere.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That was a dumb sentiment from them but tumblr's not that bad most of the time, just imagine a really left-wing facebook and you're basically there. It's just as bad as the rest of the internet, although the isane fandom hell is probably worse.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i don't know if i'd call it a uniquely tumblr thing, but it's so much easier these days to learn about lgbt+ stuff and various other minority issues more broadly, then even like, ten years ago so i'll count what victories where i can

yeah it comes with a bunch of dumb-asses muddling things and teenagers being teenagers but that's always been there, they're just more visible along with everything else

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Griffin is right, though. Like if you're going in with an open mind and understand the basic concepts of sexism, racism, and homophobia, Tumblr is a great place to learn terms like cultural appropriation, intersection, etc. that your average person isn't going to encounter in their day to day lives.

It's a bad place for actually digging super deep into those terms because a lot of the userbase is mostly concerned with "winning" the conversation rather than doing good things and they do things like sending other people death threats over drawings where a character's skin is deemed a little too light. It's like any other gathering of humanity, people would rather win arguments than compromise, and people would rather defeat an 'enemy' than see things from their perspective. And there's of course a ton of tumblr's userbase who are actual children just trying to find out where they fit in the world, and latching on to completely unnecessary labels and making them their identities, so of course they feel personally attacked when somebody says like, autochorissexuality isn't real, or that learning a foreign language or eating food from another country isn't actually cultural appropriation.

I really loathe the other side of this, the knee-jerk rejection of oppression as "Tumblr bullshit", and the cries of "SJW SNOWFLAKES! TRIGGERED MUCH?" I get that being told you're racist for taking high school spanish or for eating sushi are ridiculous, hilarious notions, and of course your average person is going to laugh at them. But like...bad poo poo does exist and just because a bunch of depressed teenagers on a website have written thousands of words about made-up bad poo poo doesn't make the actual bad poo poo any less bad.

I dunno. It's complicated. I will side with the depressed teenagers every time, though, because while I, a 35 year old man, might think it's ridiculous that every individual human being gets their own special sexual orientation but like if that helps one depressed teenager make it through their hosed up life, if that makes one trans person feel like they're not alone and hated, it's worth it. They are probably gonna grow out of this. And all you're doing putting them down is upholding the status quo, which is not only loving over the depressed trans teenagers of the world but everyone else who isn't a rich white male.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
When I purchased the tv show from iTunes, they came in .m4v forms with some form of copy protection, which means you couldn't watch it or copy it to some other place or even convert it to mp4 using the first three ways I found (change the filename extension, HandBrake and WonderShare Video Converter). Is there a legal way to make this into an .mp4 or a more easily watchable format? Or watch it from the only electronics I have at home, an android phone? At the moment I can only access a PC with iTunes sporadically.

I rarely bought any TV from iTunes (last one was John Oliver's stand up show from 2013 that had Zaltzman in it), so I forgot they come in their own unique format

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

flatluigi posted:

Griffin, on a podcast called Woodland Secrets. (via)

Thanks for sharing this. I love TAZ and think Griffin is doing a really good job for a first timer, but I have to admit I've really been struggling the last few episodes with the new system. I used to devour TAZ episodes the day they came out, but I have had the most recent episode for a week and am still not more than halfway through it. I think a poster earlier in the thread nailed the problem-- whereas usually we get THB playing around together and riffing off of each other in the setting Griffin has created, now we're only getting three one-on-one segments between Griffin and whichever player is currently doing their year.

I think Griffin suffers from the same thing we see in a lot of long-running tv shows or book series-- the creator allowing too much audience input. The best works are the ones that the author has worked through on their own, with help maybe from an editor or a trusted friend reading through drafts, but you can't please everyone at the same time and trying to do so will muddle your own creative voice.

Griffin only needs to concern himself with the input of three people-- Clint, Justin, and Travis. As long as they're engaged in the game, people will enjoy it. But at one point in last week's episode Justin cried out that Merle's abbey stuff was boring and if one of the players is bored you know listeners will be. Anyway this is utterly pointless since Griffin won't see it and he shouldn't listen to internet opinions anyhow but I hope he learns to trust his (admirable) story telling ability and stop worrying what the audience says. The masses didn't embrace the show because of the ability of the internet to influence the narrative, they embraced it because the McElroys play a fun game of D&D.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

toanoradian posted:

When I purchased the tv show from iTunes, they came in .m4v forms with some form of copy protection, which means you couldn't watch it or copy it to some other place or even convert it to mp4 using the first three ways I found (change the filename extension, HandBrake and WonderShare Video Converter).

You're already trying to circumvent the DRM, you paid for it, best to get the torrent or a stream and not feel bad at that point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CronoGamer posted:

I think a poster earlier in the thread nailed the problem-- whereas usually we get THB playing around together and riffing off of each other in the setting Griffin has created, now we're only getting three one-on-one segments between Griffin and whichever player is currently doing their year.

Yeah, this is it. I'm not gonna say changing systems is bad in and of itself, though. It's more that the change of system simultaneously came with a radical change in how the story was told, so it's easy to conflate the two. If they went with a more traditional PbtA system for the next arc, like they were saying, it shouldn't be an issue because they'll actually be telling a story again and not trying to rush through a hundred years of backstory. I'm also not sure how much of this is people telling Griffin what to do and how much of it is a rookie storyteller trying a new structure and it not really working out.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I don't hate this arc, and I think it has brought around some interesting moments for Merle in particular, but it was just a really bad idea from a storytelling perspective. It's just objectively bad to completely change the narrative structure right before the climax of a story.

It's ironic that Griffin seems to get a lot of his story-telling inspiration from video games, because this is the equivalent of having to complete a really long mini-game right before the final boss fight in an epic RPG. Even if the mini-game is perfect and really entertaining in a neutral setting, the context for it is completely off and in the process you've stopped the overarching story's momentum dead in its tracks. In the end it just seems like Griffin had a sort of knee-jerk "OH poo poo" moment where he realized that all of this backstory that he'd lovingly thought through and created was not going to fit in before the THB campaign naturally got to its end, and so he crammed this time-out in there to make up for it. But the thing is, I don't think that the audience necessarily needed all of this background exposition to enjoy the end of the story, and if they really wanted to tell us about all of this poo poo they should have just done a prequel campaign later on.

So in that sense, I do think that the Griffin quote above hits home and that a lot of this was influenced by all of the internet chatter around TAZ. He probably became hyper-aware of all of the questions and inconsistencies that the audience was obsessing about, and he wanted to make sure that as many of those got resolved as possible. In reality, it seems safe to say that the product would have been much better if he just accepted that fans will be fans, and that it's only important to answer the major questions that make the conclusion satisfying.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 26, 2017

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
PbtA definitely had nothing to do with people not interacting with each other and just with the DM. I've played Monsterhearts, a PbtA game, and the DM is largely a silent guide in that game that is 90% players interacting with each other to do collaborative storytelling.

It's Griffin's decision on how to use the system, and he's learning so it's cool.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
My biggest problem is that this system change was sold as necessary to expedite the storytelling, and to get it done in, at most, 2 episodes. It's now hitting 5, with at lest one of them going past an hour. It's not like it's not at least interesting, but I'm really not engaged with this one anymore.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I really enjoy the new content, because I enjoy change sometimes.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

SpacePig posted:

My biggest problem is that this system change was sold as necessary to expedite the storytelling, and to get it done in, at most, 2 episodes. It's now hitting 5, with at lest one of them going past an hour. It's not like it's not at least interesting, but I'm really not engaged with this one anymore.

I can't even imagine how Griffin thought this would fit into two episodes unless he expected nobody to do any roleplaying and just throw dice on command.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

SpacePig posted:

On the other hand, the Petals to the Metal race had "next one will probably be the last episode" for like 4 eps in a row. I think this will all flow much better when listened to as a whole unit, just like that race and The Suffering Game.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I think the TV show proves that constraints/limits does as much for the brothers as much as anyone else. Unfortunately TAZ is not so constrained.

The live-die-repeat of Merle has been really interesting though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
To me, the arc is getting exponentially more interesting as we move forward. It didn't really start well, but it seems like Griffin decided to loosen the story grip and let more roleplay happen after the first ep's reaction and what we're getting now is pretty good. Magnus' ballgame team and Merle's whole deal are top tier TAZ.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Ooh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNhrUozHea8

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Deport The Irish posted:

I can't even imagine how Griffin thought this would fit into two episodes unless he expected nobody to do any roleplaying and just throw dice on command.

I think he's been genuinely surprised at some of the choices THB have made. Like, Merle dedicating a year to building and operating a church I think took Griffin aback a bit, and he probably never expected Clint to want to give a speech to a bunch of religious followers before he was raptured. A decent amount of this arc has been genuinely surprising moves by the boys.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

To me, the arc is getting exponentially more interesting as we move forward. It didn't really start well, but it seems like Griffin decided to loosen the story grip and let more roleplay happen after the first ep's reaction and what we're getting now is pretty good. Magnus' ballgame team and Merle's whole deal are top tier TAZ.

Of, for sure it's getting interesting. I'm glad we're finally getting some of the meat of the story, and I'm actually sort of looking forward to the next episode. This arc is just sort of finally making me understand how a lot of folks felt during Crystal Kingdom. It's not even a problem with the system, it's just that the system didn't help the storytelling in the way I think Griffin was hoping.

I will say one thing: Merle has been a goddamn all star in this arc, and I love it. I'm glad he's getting his time in the sun here.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

oh my lord

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

The end is Car Boys crucified-jet level art.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I think this arc is really getting to the meat and will be just fine. I hope he goes with a pbta engine game for the next series because played normally it's just a flat out better fit for their loosy goosy style of play than 5e is

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ShineDog posted:

I think this arc is really getting to the meat and will be just fine. I hope he goes with a pbta engine game for the next series because played normally it's just a flat out better fit for their loosy goosy style of play than 5e is

I wouldn't be opposed to them using the robust D&D character creation engine for loose character guidelines and then moving those characters into the PBTA engine. Might help for combat or things like Merle having Zone of Truth at his command.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

SpacePig posted:

I think he's been genuinely surprised at some of the choices THB have made. Like, Merle dedicating a year to building and operating a church I think took Griffin aback a bit, and he probably never expected Clint to want to give a speech to a bunch of religious followers before he was raptured. A decent amount of this arc has been genuinely surprising moves by the boys.

Even if Griffin has been surprised by the specific actions they've taken, like, they were still going to take some action during that time that would have to be played out. There's no way this could have fit into two episodes just by the sheer volume of cycles that he's run them through so far. I know that grossly under-estimating how much time something is going to take is a mistake made my literally every single beginner DM (I've been there too) but I'm genuinely baffled as to how Griffin thought this was gonna play out in his head that it would take that little time.

Though I do fully agree that Clint in particular has really come into his character in this more free-form system, especially compared to Justin and Travis. Though to be fair to Travis, Magnus was a character almost entirely defined by a backstory that all happened after the time we're in right now. I'm pretty interested now to see what would happen if Clint got the DM reins for the next "season" of the show.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Why are you all so concerned about the exact number of episodes this is taking?

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
Because I think this arc is kinda boring and not super great and would prefer if they got back to the actual story.

Also as a person who plays a shitload of tabeltop games I'm just kind of generally interested in the backstage planning stuff that we don't get to see.

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 26, 2017

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

they've done it. a being more powerful than the final pam. the boy god of skyrim

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I I think about the phrase "I'm like a rotisserie shithead" at least once a day

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Why didn't the level end as soon as they picked up the first cow?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Scudworth posted:

You're already trying to circumvent the DRM, you paid for it, best to get the torrent or a stream and not feel bad at that point.

iTunes can convert m4a to mp3s, do those not have DRM? Is it impossible to copy-protect mp4s? Genuine questions.

Also I did shamefully pirate the whole season like in the week of its premiere, I just wanted to know if there's a way to get more playable formats legally.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Just finished listening to last week's TAZ, really loved Merle's whole thing this episode, I thought it was very well done. Looking forward to getting some backstory for the Void Fish next week

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The new arc in TAZ is definitely not as engaging as the previous stuff, I'm finding, but I think the Mcelroys are getting into how the system works - that is, that it's up to the players to create content, with the GM just as a guiding hand. I know Travis and Merle have been quite good at rolling dice and then going off on tangents about what that result represents, rather than waiting for Griffin to do it for them. He's also been much better at asking them what actually happens, rather than simply tell it to them in the style of D&D.

That said it's going to be weird to snap back to a D20 system like a rubber band for the final few episodes.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Griffin's been good in the latest arc about allowing the players to build and influence the worlds themselves. There was one instance of spending an asset in the last episode - I think it was the mortar/pestle thing - where Griffin was like "that's good but I think that it is actually ____" that stood out as odd or controlling, but 99% of the time he's succeeded in allowing the chars figure out their years, which is fun.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
The MBMBAM TV show is also available on Google Play, at least in :canada:. It's also slightly cheaper there ($8 vs $10 on iTunes), although I have no idea what sort of DRM is on it.

Zeeman fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 26, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Poque posted:

Griffin's been good in the latest arc about allowing the players to build and influence the worlds themselves. There was one instance of spending an asset in the last episode - I think it was the mortar/pestle thing - where Griffin was like "that's good but I think that it is actually ____" that stood out as odd or controlling, but 99% of the time he's succeeded in allowing the chars figure out their years, which is fun.

I think that was because Clint didn't quite understand what Griffin was asking for. Taako was trying to find out where the best places to sample the local cuisine were, and Merle gave him something to help him cook better.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
as someone who has GM'd games for years I can say with some certainty that everything will take infinitely longer than you think and trying to set concrete time frames is a fool's errand

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNhrUozHea8

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Somebody on Reddit found a Twitter account attached to that game-generating neural network. It's so, so good and I really need them to make riffing on these a regular Cool Games Inc feature.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

TACD posted:

Somebody on Reddit found a Twitter account attached to that game-generating neural network. It's so, so good and I really need them to make riffing on these a regular Cool Games Inc feature.

Pretty sure this one is just Boy Mayor of Second Life.
https://twitter.com/RobotGameDev/status/867485379498323969

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You know that weird lore bit about Khajiit going to the moon? Turns out it was a prophecy, we just saw it.