Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why does Fox keep rebooting X-men wrong? Just loving copy Harry Potter and make massive bank. Kids with special abilities at boarding school become friends and have adventures, make a new one every year. It's not that hard. X-men shouldn't be a drat horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mecha Gojira posted:

The best part about Supaidaman isn't just that he has a giant robot, it's that it's a giant lion-shaped alien spaceship that transforms into a giant robot that is controlled by a flying car.

Yes, they should bring back Supaidaman in the movies, the show is genuine fun. Even Stan Lee loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRDyPSJvybQ

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmyleg posted:

Why does Fox keep rebooting X-men wrong? Just loving copy Harry Potter and make massive bank. Kids with special abilities at boarding school become friends and have adventures, make a new one every year. It's not that hard. X-men shouldn't be a drat horror movie.

Because X-Men is for dweebs. Which reminds me how loving lame the Sentinels looked in DoFP:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

I too would like an X-Men Evolution movie.

(seriously)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'll have you know that the internet can say with authority that Batman is in fact, pretty swole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J12A70-HeAQ

Not just the internet, it's even specifically stated in the Lego Batman Movie.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Because X-Men is for dweebs. Which reminds me how loving lame the Sentinels looked in DoFP:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

The most profitable and critically-acclaimed X-Men movies recently have been two R-rated movies, one an over-the-top comedy and the other tearjerker, and a time travel movie that alternates between Bryan Singer's leather fetish future and the 1970s. All of them were better than Apocalypse, a more typical superhero movie.

The New Mutants story they are apparently adapting also has demonic possessions and body horror elements, with two of the main character being a witch and a werewolf.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Nah. DOFP owned so even if they were ridiculous it wouldn't matter, but they aren't ridiculous because their design makes total sense in the context of the movie.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

counterpoint: legion

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Brother Entropy posted:

counterpoint: legion

Legion is good, but I think it is exactly right for its format.

If it were much more than 8 episodes or just a 2-hour film, then I think it would be really hard to do at the same level of quality + content.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Apocalypse aside, Fox is doing a lot of weird stuff with X-Men lately and it's pretty great, bring on the dumb space adventures and werewolf horror.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I find it funny how Mystique has been shoe-horned so hard into being a/the main character (because Jennifer Lawrence) despite being less inconvenienced by her powers than just about any other mutant. Like, sure, she has a "real" appearance that she has to hide, but she's also completely free to just wander around humans and be seen as completely normal. Seems a bit less tragic than literally everyone else in the movies.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Martman posted:

I find it funny how Mystique has been shoe-horned so hard into being a/the main character (because Jennifer Lawrence) despite being less inconvenienced by her powers than just about any other mutant. Like, sure, she has a "real" appearance that she has to hide, but she's also completely free to just wander around humans and be seen as completely normal. Seems a bit less tragic than literally everyone else in the movies.

I mean, there's a lot of relevant social commentary around the idea of members of out groups feeling pressured to pass as "normal" for acceptance.

That's like saying that light skinned black people or trans folks who can "pass" are getting off easy.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

big money big clit posted:

I mean, there's a lot of relevant social commentary around the idea of members of out groups feeling pressured to pass as "normal" for acceptance.

That's like saying that light skinned black people or trans folks who can "pass" are getting off easy.
Relative to the guy whose eyes explode everyone around him yeah, I think it's kind of easy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Martman posted:

Relative to the guy whose eyes explode everyone around him yeah, I think it's kind of easy.

I'll bet all of the butch closeted gay dudes, past and present, were very comforted by how easy they had it.

And really, wearing sunglasses seems pretty easy too.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

big money big clit posted:

And really, wearing sunglasses seems pretty easy too.
They're magic sunglasses! Once he gets access to them, sure it's easy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I get the idea of Mystique having a more personal dilemma in that she COULD just fit in if she wanted and stay "closeted" but she shouldn't have to and that's a choice she'll never really stop having to wrestle with.

But it does play a little odd when its presented as "she can turn into Jennifer Lawrence and immediately disarm every male in the room" vs all the other hosed up poo poo like physical "deformities", crippling and dangerous "handicap" powers, or getting your entire family murdered.

Its probably an execution problem with the films generally playing much broader and Mystique's dilemma being a much more nuanced and personal thing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Patty Jenkins talked about her version of Thor 2. It was going to be a Romeo & Juliet story with Jane on Earth and Thor being forbidden from leaving Asgard because Odin thinks Earth does not matter. Then it turns out Malekith stashed the Aether in Earth for this very reason.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The MSJ posted:

Patty Jenkins talked about her version of Thor 2. It was going to be a Romeo & Juliet story with Jane on Earth and Thor being forbidden from leaving Asgard because Odin thinks Earth does not matter. Then it turns out Malekith stashed the Aether in Earth for this very reason.

That actually sounds kind of bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Taintrunner posted:

I quite liked this.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It sounds pretty similar to what we got, except instead of the aether being inside Earth it's inside Jane, and Odin isn't explicitly keeping Thor away from Earth so much as his responsibility to Asgard and the Nine Realms.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phylodox posted:

It sounds pretty similar to what we got, except instead of the aether being inside Earth it's inside Jane, and Odin isn't explicitly keeping Thor away from Earth so much as his responsibility to Asgard and the Nine Realms.

Anything that focuses more screentime on Thor and Jane's relationship drama is a net negative for the movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A producer at Warner Brothers is apparently sharing "viral" Facebook memes asking women to see Wonder Woman to protest Warner Brothers.

This could have been the most 2017 sentence ever if they worked Donald Trump and Fidget Spinners in somehow.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 27, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You kind of have to appreciate an advertising campaign that both clearly advertises while also decries the lack of advertising. I wonder if someone is getting a bonus for an effective campaign or a talking to for potentially showing that a restrained ad campaign can work.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gyges posted:

You kind of have to appreciate an advertising campaign that both clearly advertises while also decries the lack of advertising. I wonder if someone is getting a bonus for an effective campaign or a talking to for potentially showing that a restrained ad campaign can work.

Remember when buyin Ghostbusters reboot merchandise was considered a feminist act?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Taintrunner posted:

Remember when buyin Ghostbusters reboot merchandise was considered a feminist act?

It still is. :patriot:

#SmashThePatriarchy

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I mean isn't the simple explanation that Wonder Woman has less advertising because BvS was one of the most expensive movie of all time?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah what we got was way better. :laffo:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah what we got was way better. :laffo:

I liked Thor 2. :smith:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like parts of Thor 2, but it felt like someone stitched together a serious superhero story with something more akin to Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

I like parts of Thor 2, but it felt like someone stitched together a serious superhero story with something more akin to Guardians Of The Galaxy.

I've said it previously, but its biggest sin is casting an actor on the level of Christopher Eccleston as the heavy and then having 95 percent of his dialogue be utter gibberish.

Hiring Alan Taylor to direct is its second biggest sin. Jesus, what a hideous movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I watched Thor 2 and other than Lokis use of illusion magic to cover up how distraught he was I cant name an interesting or positive thing about it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Barudak posted:

I watched Thor 2 and other than Lokis use of illusion magic to cover up how distraught he was I cant name an interesting or positive thing about it.

I honestly can't recall a single thing about it outside of Frigga getting killed, Loki pretending to be killed but really replacing Odin and Thor and whatever the gently caress Eccleston's character was named doing the world's longest bodyslam as they go through various portals.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Loki shapeshifting into Captain America to taunt Thor was pretty rad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's an okay movie, just okay, with high highs and low lows.

But, Thor 2 has some really great scenes. It's about 10 amazing ideas, 2 bad ideas (Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings), and 5 good ideas that were executed terribly stitched together into one movie.

Go Youtube:

- The funeral pyre scene
- The fight/death of Frigga
- Loki's prison scene where he drops his illusions after learning that he helped get his mom killed
- The Kurse fight scene
- The climax fight with the portals
- The wide shots of Asgard in ruins
- The initial awakening of the Dark Elves
- The closer with the Loki/Odin reveal
- Pretty much any scene with Odin, Frigga, or Loki really.

They do a lot of cool subtle stuff with the costume design and themes too. How the Asgardians have grown complacent and all of their weapons are melee-style swords and shields that are mostly ceremonial and they get wiped out because the Dark Elves are thirsty for revenge and use guns and grenades.

They definitely goofed by cutting down on Malekith in favor of Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings. I'm glad that they have been removed from Thor 3.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thor hanging up his hammer is a great little gag.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Thor 2 is very good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dan Didio posted:

Thor 2 is very good.

In a "cinematic universe" comprising, what, 14 movies, the only one more forgettable is Ant-Man. Maybe Iron Man 2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Timby posted:

In a "cinematic universe" comprising, what, 14 movies, the only one more forgettable is Ant-Man. Maybe Iron Man 2.

Doctor Strange and Incredible Hulk?

Also Ant-Man is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Doctor Strange and Incredible Hulk?

Also Ant-Man is great.

I absolutely love everything about The Incredible Hulk outside of the weird fight sequence at the end.

Doctor Strange, I'll give you. But I don't remember a single thing about Ant-Man.

• Locked thread