Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'd be amused to see a state government have to find the money to replace a statue that got slagged by some inconveniently placed thermite.

e: Dog tax

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

maskenfreiheit posted:

Question: is it true that part of the nato treaty states states should spend 2% of GDP on their military?

If so, while Trump is not being very diplomatic, isn't it valid to complain they are not meeting their obligations?

It is true. The us always complains about it and should complain, but the us is basically supposed to use this as diplomatic leverage when we gently caress up or need a favor. Trump seems to think this is money they owe the US, and wants to pull out for non payment.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'd be amused to see a state government have to find the money to replace a statue that got slagged by some inconveniently placed thermite.

Im a thermite collector and i wanted to use the statues as backdrops for pictures of my thermite but my thermite spontaneously combusted. Oops

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
2020 Primaries gonna own(thread)

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/868174588500336640

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/868181834890440704

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It is true. The us always complains about it and should complain, but the us is basically supposed to use this as diplomatic leverage when we gently caress up or need a favor. Trump seems to think this is money they owe the US, and wants to pull out for non payment.

Yeah the idea there's "back monies" owed is BS, but implying they need to make progress of we'll reconsider is valid.

socialsecurity posted:

Perhaps but there are better ways to negotiate with our allies.

I assume we've raised the issue before. Again, while I think he's doing it terribly, how exactly can you incentivize these countries to do so w/o implying that not complying with the treaty is a two way street?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I don't wanna see this loving dweeb's face anywhere near the democratic primary.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

oh man, look who joined the seth rich conspiracy circle-jerk!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

maskenfreiheit posted:

Question: is it true that part of the nato treaty states states should spend 2% of GDP on their military?

If so, while Trump is not being very diplomatic, isn't it valid to complain they are not meeting their obligations?

They have till like 2027 or something to meet that percentage.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

You think Governor Romney wasn't as right wing as POTUS Candidate Romney, don't you?

GOP governors in NA are 'moderate' because the Dems control the legislature. Give the GOP control over the legislature as well and this guy would turn in to the same kind of monster McCrory and other 'moderates' have.

Baker's campaign ads trumpeted his pro-choice, pro-gun control, and pro-environment views. That sound like your typical Republican? Romney had national aspirations. I don't think Baker does.

Sure, his views on taxes and education (loving charter schools) were bad, and I didn't vote for him, but we could have done way, way worse.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

enraged_camel posted:

Hey now maybe he's just trying to get the robber-cum-killer's friends to turn on him!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

enraged_camel posted:

Attention whore does thing to draw attention that he'll literally never have to follow through with, shock and surprise.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

If he can at least deliver on UBI and dissolving healthcare tied to employment, then gently caress it he's got my vote. Establishment Dems are worthless.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They have till like 2027 or something to meet that percentage.

ok but making it clear this is an actual expectation, not a bullshit one like the economic rules for being in the eurozone they let greece ignore is probably a good idea right?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

enraged_camel posted:

Last post for the day. Thank gently caress this meaningless work day is over. Hillary Clinton should lean into this poo poo now. Just demand that she be investigated for every loving this. Let them chew on her like a squeaker toy. Of course she kills her aides. Of course she runs a child slavery ring. Just go find the evidence and then get public enemy number one off the streets.

Also:
How much can the Dems abandon and still lose? Like, if they copy the modern GOP's platform except for a single line, which line is it?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

If he can at least deliver on UBI and dissolving healthcare tied to employment, then gently caress it he's got my vote. Establishment Dems are worthless.

I predict he will have huge trouble courting minority votes and it will sink him in the primary, if he gets that far.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yeah if he makes those promises I'll vote for him, because billionaires making campaign trail promises about saving health care and helping the little guy are always trustworthy.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Establishment Dems are worthless.

Social security, medicare, medicaid, clean water and clean air acts, national labor relations act, schip, aca. I get pretty tired of people calling establishment Dems worthless. They've done a lot over the last century. Everything that has made America more liberal over the last century has come from dems. They should do more but they aren't worthless.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Worthless also implies they cant be pawns to take some swings at the pieces whom matter either.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Mister Adequate posted:

Hey now maybe he's just trying to get the robber-cum-killer's friends to turn on him!

I wonder if this guy would pay out if the buddies of "Stabber" McGee, inept mugger, were to rat him out to the police as the true killer.

Methinks not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

maskenfreiheit posted:

ok but making it clear this is an actual expectation, not a bullshit one like the economic rules for being in the eurozone they let greece ignore is probably a good idea right?

In theory a competent non Trumpian speaker could have made an argument like that but in practice Trump is just yelling.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

enraged_camel posted:

I thought this rear end in a top hat was in jail? He stoles millions from rich people so you'd think he'd get the book thrown at him.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Hellblazer187 posted:

Social security, medicare, medicaid, clean water and clean air acts, national labor relations act, schip, aca. I get pretty tired of people calling establishment Dems worthless. They've done a lot over the last century. Everything that has made America more liberal over the last century has come from dems. They should do more but they aren't worthless.

It's the loving alt-left on this site. I'd like to know what they *do* want, because everything every establishment person does is worthless in their eyes. If some amazing Democrat leader managed to introduce full socialized medicine, they'd still whine like little bitches because it didn't cure all cancer instantly or something.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Trump is the dumb guy on your Facebook who doesn't understand international politics so just says stuff that is superficially true and gets mad about it because he hasn't thought it through.

"We massively fund the UN how dare they tell us what to do!"

They don't, we do whatever we want and use them as a cover on the occasions they agree with us. Because we massively fund it. And they can't make us do anything.

"NATO NATO NATO"

Yeah they are basically the US Ally club they do what we want.

Idiot has no idea how global hegemony works.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JazzFlight posted:

I don't wanna see this loving dweeb's face anywhere near the democratic primary.

Make sure to hate every other feasible dem candidate for vague, stupid reasons too, otherwise people might think you're not cool.

I loving hate watching people race to see who can hate on candidates the hardest and fastest. Zuckerberg is a good candidate and I'm ready to support him as long as the policies he espouses line up with mine, not necessarily exactly because I understand that that's not how things work, but at least mostly. I really don't loving get why people are so ready to buy into exactly the way of thinking about candidates that benefits republicans the most.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

maskenfreiheit posted:

Yeah the idea there's "back monies" owed is BS, but implying they need to make progress of we'll reconsider is valid.

I assume we've raised the issue before. Again, while I think he's doing it terribly, how exactly can you incentivize these countries to do so w/o implying that not complying with the treaty is a two way street?

Because at the end of the day NATO gives Europe a security guarantee in exchange for allowing "The West" to be A Thing that just so happens to be led by the United States.

Trying to squeeze an extra 0.5% of GDP spending out of Denmark or Belgium is silly because these countries would be worth jack poo poo in any situation where the US was threatened in North America. It's also not the easiest to convince a country like Portugal or Spain that Russia is a threat to them that requires additional military spending. Even if it was and European countries actually buffed up their militaries they'd be able to form an effective defense on their own and the protection the US brings through NATO would not be as critical.

This is why previous administrations haven't cared about European military spending, and perhaps even quietly encouraged Europe to spend less. Russian interference in countries like Ukraine change the logic a bit, but Trump isn't really understanding why we are where we are - he's just bring reactive towards a very simplistic reading of the situation which starts and ends with "they're not doing this thing in the treaty!" without any analysis on why they haven't and why it's been allowed in the past.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The problem with Zuckerberg is similar to Trump - zero political experience, few political connections, trying to cheat straight to the endgame with big bags of cash.

He's a young man. He should run for governor of California and THEN President when he's figured out whether he's any loving good at politics or not.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zuckerberg's speaking style is like Hillary Clinton without the charisma. That's right I just typed that.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Zuckerberg will get choke slammed by The Rock who will go on to win the presidency.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't think 2017 Dems get to take credit for the New Deal and the Great Society. Especially when they spent 40 years rolling back a lot of these programs and abandoning unions to the wolves.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

empty whippet box posted:

Make sure to hate every other feasible dem candidate for vague, stupid reasons too, otherwise people might think you're not cool.

I loving hate watching people race to see who can hate on candidates the hardest and fastest. Zuckerberg is a good candidate and I'm ready to support him as long as the policies he espouses line up with mine, not necessarily exactly because I understand that that's not how things work, but at least mostly. I really don't loving get why people are so ready to buy into exactly the way of thinking about candidates that benefits republicans the most.

The specific issue with Zucky is he has no credibility or track record, so there's no particular reason to think he'll actually govern from the left and implement the policies he's claiming.

I'd support him if he were running for governor or Congress. The presidency is too important to gamble on a candidate with no experience or track record.

Dude basically got megalucky and runs a company that employs like two thousand people. I don't care what he promises, he has no track record in politics.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If Zuck wants to be one of the dozen or so candidates that start up the Democratic primary then fine whatever.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Jesus Christ. Zuckerberg is not a good candidate. How can we even be discussing this.

For one thing he would lose a debate instantly. Ever seen him speak about controversial subjects? He can't.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Zuckerberg's speaking style is like Hillary Clinton without the charisma. That's right I just typed that.

Hard but fair.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But how can social media ruin discourse if radio and TV already did?!?

Talk radio has only really been dominant since the Fairness Doctrine was dropped in 1987 and 24/7 partisan news networks are a fairly new phenomena. Partisanship has been measurably and meaningfully increasing over that time period too. It's not so much that social media is ruining discourse as it is that we keep taking new forms of media and sculpting them in ways that let us insulate ourselves. I'd say it's more of a feedback loop than just cause and effect.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

CelestialScribe posted:

Jesus Christ. Zuckerberg is not a good candidate. How can we even be discussing this.

For one thing he would lose a debate instantly. Ever seen him speak about controversial subjects? He can't.

He isn't a good candidate, but you've seen Trump debate too, right?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
IMO it's bullshit that we have to pay a dog tax while dogs themselves get to remain blissfully ignorant of the political hell we are in.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

enraged_camel posted:

gently caress the money, give us Wu-Tang

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd support him if he were running for governor or Congress. The presidency is too important to gamble on a candidate with no experience or track record.
Zuck would probably be an improvement over Feinstein

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

trump presidency to get even worse

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/868209754027503618

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mantis42 posted:

I don't think 2017 Dems get to take credit for the New Deal and the Great Society. Especially when they spent 40 years rolling back a lot of these programs and abandoning unions to the wolves.

Counterpoint: The 2017 Republicans still talk about Lincoln.

• Locked thread