Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

beejay posted:

No. Please stop. People have been posting dogs longer than the dog thing was a thing.

Dog pictures are good. Continue posting dog pictures, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anyways here's the map I was looking for:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/elections/map/2016/us?poll=sm-exit-millennials-cps

I know we can't just sit and wait for demographics to fix everything but it does seem like the GOP does have a rough road ahead nationally in the mid to long term. I hope.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

How are there schools currently funded?

There are some neat maps here that don't directly answer your question but provide some interesting context:

https://taxfoundation.org/property-taxes-percent-collections/

(At the bottom there are links to similar maps for income tax, sales tax, etc)

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

2017 is pretty far left from 1960.

The tax brackets aren't.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I know we can't just sit and wait for demographics to fix everything but it does seem like the GOP does have a rough road ahead nationally in the mid to long term. I hope.

If the GOP can keep chipping away gradually at voting rights via a conservative SCOTUS and super lovely state legislatures, they can stay ahead of that trend through disenfranchisement. This is obviously their plan and it's working.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

And Joe Scarborough can go to hell right alongside them. Never forget: this man and his literal TV Wife are a huge reason the world has to endure Trump now because they lead the charge in normalizing him, and normalizing the godawful behaviour from Republicans he is now aghast at for some reason.

gently caress Joe Scarborough into centre of the goddamn Sun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Unzip and Attack posted:

The tax brackets aren't.

at lunch the other day i said the highest tax bracket should be 70 percent minimum and one of my friends almost spit out her food like that was an insane number. she didn't believe me when i said it was that high until the 80s and that it used to be over 90 percent.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

And Joe Scarborough can go to hell right alongside them. Never forget: this man and his literal TV Wife are a huge reason the world has to endure Trump now because they lead the charge in normalizing him, and normalizing the godawful behaviour from Republicans he is now aghast at for some reason.

Didn't everyone in the media help to "create" Trump? I wasn't paying attention to politics during the early days of the Trump campaign but from what I've pieced together, he was a sort of joke that everyone gave lots of airtime to for ratings or whatnot. I know some people like Michael Moore noted that the mass media helped normalize Trump before they, too late, turned on him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Groovelord Neato posted:

at lunch the other day i said the highest tax bracket should be 70 percent minimum and one of my friends almost spit out her food like that was an insane number. she didn't believe me when i said it was that high until the 80s and that it used to be over 90 percent.

The effective rate was never that high for almost anyone, though.

You could have a 45% top bracket that collected more than the 90% bracket did if you changed the deductions.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Anora posted:

Kansas' Government is such poo poo, like Kris Kobach pushed for a special investigation team to research voter fraud. Got it, then found like 8 cases. And all of them were like someone moved, got set an earlier voter card, and didn't know it was illegal to fill it out while in a new state. You could tell that they wanted to catch illegal aliens voting so bad, but found nothing.

Weren't most of them Trump voters too?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah he figured he could damage Hillary so that her victory would be narrower and thus give the GOP more ammo to decry her as an illegitimate President.

The political equivalent of trying to weaken a pokemon to catch it, an scoring a critical hit.

"This'll show her. Wednesday morning when she gives her thank you speech she'll...uh oh"

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

NikkolasKing posted:

Didn't everyone in the media help to "create" Trump? I wasn't paying attention to politics during the early days of the Trump campaign but from what I've pieced together, he was a sort of joke that everyone gave lots of airtime to for ratings or whatnot. I know some people like Michael Moore noted that the mass media helped normalize Trump before they, too late, turned on him.

Some more than others. Scarborough was particularly guilty by giving an infamously softball interview where the downtime mics recorded Trump, Scarborough, and Mika giggling like idiots and reassuring each other the interview wouldn't be confrontational at all. Sure, some journalists helped Trump via inaction, but Scarborough was an active participant in the rise of Trump. Any regrets he has now can be shoved up his rear end, hopefully right before he gets fired for being a disgrace to cable journalism (which I know is saying a lot).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

BarbarianElephant posted:

Answer is that Comey is a Republican and didn't want Hillary to win. In common with every other Republican out there, he didn't stop to consider that meant that Trump would win.

That's actually the opposite of what the reporting has said.

Comey was confident that Hillary was going to win and was terrified that congressional Republicans would come after the FBI and damage its Independence/autonomy or reputation for "holding back" evidence of her emails until after she was elected.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spun Dog posted:

ABC

Always
Be
Canine

Al
Borland
Corporation

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Even if Comey handled everything wrong (he did) it's still a bit of Monday morning quarterbacking. The situation going into the election was unprecedented and there was no guideline for how to handle "both major candidates under actual investigation and also truth isn't a thing anymore and one side doesn't care about norms and will turn anything into politics."

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Al
Borland
Corporation

I don't think so Tim.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

This. Joe Scarborough is such a sanctimonious rear end, and every time I see him decrying the latest story about Trump on TV I want to scream "YOU MADE THIS HAPPEN, YOU FUCKER!" into his stupid face.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also i really hate the never trumpers trying to pretend this is some weird corruption or aberration for their party/side. this is the logical progression of the southern strategy. the gop has been this for over half a century now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

NikkolasKing posted:

I think people are also forgetting how comforting Trump was in the primary days, when there was a very real possibility of Ted Cruz becoming the nominee, among other things. Before we got to see how totally deranged he is, he seemed like a comparatively reasonable option when you put him next to the guy who argued in a court of law that people don't have the guaranteed right to masturbate.

The Trump movement only became scary to me when, not only had he become the nominee, but he actually beat Hillary Clinton, an intelligent and accomplished woman who would've been a fantastic president. Everything in the R primary makes perfect sense, it's the general election where the country just went off the loving rails entirely.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Hellblazer187 posted:

Even if Comey handled everything wrong (he did) it's still a bit of Monday morning quarterbacking. The situation going into the election was unprecedented and there was no guideline for how to handle "both major candidates under actual investigation and also truth isn't a thing anymore and one side doesn't care about norms and will turn anything into politics."

The dude knowingly trumpeted false intel that damaged a candidate for POTUS 10 days before a national election. Giving him any benefit of the doubt is a stretch at this point. "Yeah but that would have burned his sources" isn't an excuse. There are things more important than sources, and a legitimate electoral process in the most powerful nation on Earth is one of them.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Classtoise posted:

The political equivalent of trying to weaken a pokemon to catch it, an scoring a critical hit.

"This'll show her. Wednesday morning when she gives her thank you speech she'll...uh oh"

You know, I thought this same exact thing, but figured it would be too ridiculous an analogy.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

PT6A posted:

I think people are also forgetting how comforting Trump was in the primary days, when there was a very real possibility of Ted Cruz becoming the nominee, among other things. Before we got to see how totally deranged he is, he seemed like a comparatively reasonable option when you put him next to the guy who argued in a court of law that people don't have the guaranteed right to masturbate.

Uh, no, people thought that Trump was a looney back then, too. He never seemed like the "reasonable" option. He seemed like the joke option.

Ah, Trump-nesia.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unzip and Attack posted:

Some more than others. Scarborough was particularly guilty by giving an infamously softball interview where the downtime mics recorded Trump, Scarborough, and Mika giggling like idiots and reassuring each other the interview wouldn't be confrontational at all. Sure, some journalists helped Trump via inaction, but Scarborough was an active participant in the rise of Trump. Any regrets he has now can be shoved up his rear end, hopefully right before he gets fired for being a disgrace to cable journalism (which I know is saying a lot).

More than that they had daily on air phone calls from Trump for nearly nine months after he first announced he was running where they basically put the show on hold and gave him like 20 of free air time to cement himself in the public consciousness even more. Joe was the #1 non-:foxnews: Trump hype man until Trump turned on him. And he now realizes what a terrible mistake that was and is going to be spending the rest of his media life trying to make amends for it with stuff like that stupid rant, and to that I say again, "gently caress Joe Scarborough right into the Sun."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Overheard at an Ohio barber shop this morning re: Trump budget and Gianforte:

quote:

Our government spending is way out of control. You know those people in [X] area? No economic downturn, no natural disaster, nothing; but we're getting more and more people there on government assistance and the politicians in DC are spending way too much of our money. Those people just refuse to work. Trillions in taxpayer money getting wasted. We need to balance the budget, because once the Indians and Chinese call in the debt we owe them we're screwed.

Oh, that stuff in Montana is a little crazy, but you know? That reporter guy was aggressively stalking the Congressman, and well he just hit his limit. He just wouldn't leave the poor guy alone, we all have our limit so I can understand.

This country is hopeless. :cripes: Dude was roughly 60 or 70 years old, by the way.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 26, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Overheard at an Ohio barber shop this morning re: Trump budget and Gianforte:

This country is hopeless. :cripes:

Whenever someone professes to sympathize/support Gianforte, I propose they are immediately chokeslammed and punched repeatedly. They might learn from experience that it's not loving cool.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has there ever been a study that pinpoints the money level you need to be at in which nothing matters? Like, I was once late with my registration renewal because it had slipped my mind, the car was in the shop, I had spent a week in the hospital, and the DMV was closed for MLK day and I got pulled over a single stoplight from my apartment on my way to the DMV to renew it. I showed all of this to the cop and still got a ticket, I showed all of this AND the renewal notice, less than 15 minutes after the ticket was issued, to the judge and STILL had to pay the full fine.

A man physically assaulted another for asking a question, lied about it, and gets to be a congressman warmly welcomed by the vice president of the United States. He'll have to pay a tiny fine issued by a judge that donated to his campaign.

the inevitable crushing black tide of these people and their poison ways, as well as the lovely "go team yay" attitude of the people both being screwed by and helping them is just sitting on my head :(

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Classtoise posted:

IMO more like throwing your master ball when you meant to throw an ultra ball and now you can't catch Mewtwo(who is retarded)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

these slow news days are unbearable

i need my fix

trump is back next week, right? that should be fun

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Y'know? I'm gonna take a break from this thread and US-related news. I'm gonna grab my 7-string guitar (tuned as an 8-string because thank goodness baritone-scale guitars are now a thing for south paws like myself) or my Viola and just wail away. I hope that Trump continues to make an rear end of himself and that all of you have a rad weekend. :)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

these slow news days are unbearable

i need my fix

trump is back next week, right? that should be fun

bro chill it's not even 5 yet

Wark Say posted:

Y'know? I'm gonna take a break from this thread and US-related news. I'm gonna grab my 7-string guitar (tuned as an 8-string because thank goodness baritone-scale guitars are now a thing for south paws like myself) or my Viola and just wail away. I hope that Trump continues to make an rear end of himself and that all of you have a rad weekend. :)

I've been learning charlie parker licks on my recorder in between posts, get on my level.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

empty whippet box posted:

I've been learning charlie parker licks on my recorder in between posts, get on my level.
I'm more of a Sonny Rollins fan myself, but I'm always game for Jazzy swagger. :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Imagine a program where we can make donations in return for new Trump tweets. It would help offset the budget cuts!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alter Ego posted:

I don't know. The current governor of Massachusetts comes pretty close.

You think Governor Romney wasn't as right wing as POTUS Candidate Romney, don't you?

GOP governors in NA are 'moderate' because the Dems control the legislature. Give the GOP control over the legislature as well and this guy would turn in to the same kind of monster McCrory and other 'moderates' have.

"We don't know who demolished these statues in the dead of night but they're ruined now so we're just going to have to clean up the rubble and replace them I guess. :shrug:"

Not that I'm suggesting people with access to the means should carry out such acts against symbols of treason and slavery.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

"We don't know who demolished these statues in the dead of night but they're ruined now so we're just going to have to clean up the rubble and replace them I guess. :shrug:"

Not that I'm suggesting people with access to the means should carry out such acts against symbols of treason and slavery.

I wonder how much money would have to be raised for the Church of Satan to start planting hundreds to thousands of awful Confederate monuments all over Alabama.

You could even make it look like a real statue and then be cheeky about it on the plaques. Let the plaques do the humor for you. "In memory of the great plantation owners, benefactors of the indentured negro man and the true victims of the War of Northern Aggression, in which 400,000 other, poorer people went and died for their lifestyle."

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Alter Ego posted:

This. Joe Scarborough is such a sanctimonious rear end, and every time I see him decrying the latest story about Trump on TV I want to scream "YOU MADE THIS HAPPEN, YOU FUCKER!" into his stupid face.

I refer you to my earlier comment regarding the mythical nature of sane Republicans.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Evil Fluffy posted:

You think Governor Romney wasn't as right wing as POTUS Candidate Romney, don't you?

GOP governors in NA are 'moderate' because the Dems control the legislature. Give the GOP control over the legislature as well and this guy would turn in to the same kind of monster McCrory and other 'moderates' have.

I'd bet a lot of these loving things are on 24/7 surveillance

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sundae posted:

I wonder how much money would have to be raised for the Church of Satan to start planting hundreds to thousands of awful Confederate monuments all over Alabama.

They are only protected if they are over forty years old unfortunately.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skex posted:

Sounds like Scott Walker wants to test that theory.

Walker is also heavily pushing for Wisconsin to move to a self-insurance model for state employees, claiming it would save the state $103 million. The non-partisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau and the Group Insurance Board say he's full of poo poo, because bids from insurance providers aren't due until June 30 (so him claiming that the state expects to see a 7 percent increase in premiums is a flat-out lie) and his savings claim doesn't incorporate the cost of essentially creating an entirely new department within the government to actually manage health plans.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Just give all the monuments tutus just like that one.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Question: is it true that part of the nato treaty states states should spend 2% of GDP on their military?

If so, while Trump is not being very diplomatic, isn't it valid to complain they are not meeting their obligations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

Question: is it true that part of the nato treaty states states should spend 2% of GDP on their military?

If so, while Trump is not being very diplomatic, isn't it valid to complain they are not meeting their obligations?

Perhaps but there are better ways to negotiate with our allies.

• Locked thread