Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Duh. Double dumbass on me.

edit: great way to start a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jazzzzz posted:

Duh. Double dumbass on me.

edit: great way to start a new page

Hah ur dumb

Edit

Vvvv
Take more and better pictures!

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 24, 2017

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
10/10, would buy again.

Faster Blaster fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 24, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hell yeah nice. I really hope sport tourers make a comeback. That seat looks comfortable and those turn signals look very visible, good purchase.

Does anyone have any insight on what specific bikes or types get placed in higher insurance brackets?

My KLR650 costs 25% less to insure than my cbr500r which has a smaller engine, but is also sort of a sport bike. A grom costs the same to insure as the KLR650 despite being way smaller.

All the bikes are worth close to the same amount 3-4k

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 24, 2017

tjones
May 13, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

hell yeah nice. I really hope sport tourers make a comeback. That seat looks comfortable and those turn signals look very visible, good purchase.

Does anyone have any insight on what specific bikes or types get placed in higher insurance brackets?

My KLR650 costs 25% less to insure than my cbr500r which has a smaller engine, but is also sort of a sport bike. A grom costs the same to insure as the KLR650 despite being way smaller.

All the bikes are worth close to the same amount 3-4k

If it looks like a sport bike it will be more expensive. If it is a sport bike then it will be considerably more expensive. If it's a popular model supersport or superbike, forget it.

Everything else varies from very to some what reasonable.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

it also super depends on the insurer, your location, your bracket. "how much is insurance" is a very complicated question.

I did a ton of price comparisons when shopping, just to see for fun what i'd pay. For me for full on 100/300/100 with comp/coll and a million bucks of umbi (new rider, late 20's, unmarried, apartment in a metropolitan area no garage, no wrecks or tickets in the last 10 years):
07 GS500: $330/yr
07 Ninja 500r: $350/yr
17 SV650:$1000/yr
17 FZ07: 1200/yr
17 Versys 650: $900/yr
17 FZ09: $1800/yr
17 FJ09: $1700/yr
17 R6: $2800/yr
12 BOOSUH: $5300/yr

So yeah, Progressive is pretty reasonable in their "big displacement sportbike will kill you newbie" department, but don't make a lot of exceptions for bikes that aren't as sporty.
Geico and Metlife wanted almost double of any of these quotes. I didn't check the busa on those.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

drat, am I over paying? I'm paying 540 for my Harley. :raise:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

tjones posted:

If it looks like a sport bike it will be more expensive. If it is a sport bike then it will be considerably more expensive. If it's a popular model supersport or superbike, forget it.

Everything else varies from very to some what reasonable.

Succinct and to the point. Displacement and how often bikes of that type are stolen are both factors as well. All of these play in favor of supermotos, which seem to be damned cheap to insure even though they are they ultimate hooligan bike.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The Bananana posted:

drat, am I over paying? I'm paying 540 for my Harley. :raise:

With literally no frame of reference to your age, credit score, bike model and age, location, violation history, and your policy's specifics, no one can tell you the answer to that. Best way to find out is to get quotes from other insurers.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im also with progressive and full coverage $500 deductible on the cbr500r is about $450 which is perfectly reasonable. A zx-6r was going to be $1400 for the same coverage. Way more than I would be willing to pay but totally fair considering the theft risk and high probability of any supersort getting totaled.

For reference, im in a low crime suburb with a garage. Late 20s clean driving records and 14 years driving experience.

I just got a quote on a cb1000r naked bike. They want 2k for a year, yikes. Too bad, i just found a really nice one for sale for $5000.00. Maybe the skyhigh insurance is why he's selling

Old goons, how old do i need to be to ride a 1000cc without paying over 2000 insurance?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 24, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Again I think it's your zip code. I live in rural Indiana (47531). Everyone around here rides a full dresser Harley. My insurer doesn't have a lot of data to go off of with the s1000xr. They didn't even know what class of bike it was when I bought it. I told them sport touring. Fwiw I have only had a motorcycle endorsement for a little over a year. My first year of riding was on a 2008 KLR650 which was $265 for the year.

My current S1000XR would cost me roughly $800 a year through progressive for similar limits with 3 year new replacement but no umbrella. You might want to shop around but honestly I would be content with $550 a year.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

It's super hard to determine if any of you have good premiums on your insurance just from a few posts on the internet. The best way to determine if you have a competitive rate is to go out and shop carriers with a broker/agents.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Different carriers have different 'risk appetites'. Acme Insurance Co. might be aggressive in the high-risk motorcycle market, and they'll be willing to write competitive quotes on your cbr1000rr-super-sport-death-machine. Conversely, Bob's Insurance Co. might be trying to balance out an excess of high-risk policies they've already written, so they'd be giving you insane-o-quotes with horribly high premiums. The competitiveness of carriers varies year to year based off of this, so don't be afraid to shop around often.

tl;dr Shop around, find the baseline pricing, and go with the carrier that's offering the best deal.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Piggy backing off the VFR chat from before, there's a 96 magna nearby, with the older 750 V4. I know valve adjustment is a pain, but is there anything else I need to know or worry about with these things?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

As Nero Danced posted:

Piggy backing off the VFR chat from before, there's a 96 magna nearby, with the older 750 V4. I know valve adjustment is a pain, but is there anything else I need to know or worry about with these things?

I hope to god you never have to remove the carbs.

Also they have a habit of not oiling the top end properly. Despite the internet telling you that was only the V65 (early v4 750's) they're wrong:
http://imgur.com/a/fH91J
This was the 3rd 90's Magna I've had to do this to. The 4th was in even worse shape but I can't find the pics.

Otherwise they're great.

Faster Blaster posted:

10/10, would buy again.

nice! where's the seat cover / cowl?

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

nice! where's the seat cover / cowl?

The PO lost one of the bolts/hooks (:argh:), so until I get a replacement shipped, the cowl is staying in the garage.

Chichevache posted:

Take more and better pictures!

Everyone's a critic! When I get back in town on Monday, I'll take her up into the foothills and post a few more pics.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
I heard you guys like VFRs

My favorite part is the dash, it earns the title of "Interceptor" and makes you feel like a top gun pilot.

You stole that for $2300, good work.

Gonna Send It fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 25, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I hope to god you never have to remove the carbs.

People on the internet like to exagerrate a lot about carbs and their associated difficulty but this is 100% spot on. If the bike is from the 80's/done a lot of miles just go ahead and buy some intake boots before even attempting this.

Katosabi posted:

I like your bike and your pictures but please either use a different aperture or a tripod next time cause the blur toward the rear of the bike makes me itch.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Katosabi posted:

My favorite part is the dash, it earns the title of "Interceptor" and makes you feel like a top gun pilot.

You stole that for $2300, good work.

hey buddy, chill the gently caress out with your humblebrag pics.
Not all of us can afford backlit LCD's okay?

e: it is in fact 12:51am and that odo is in absolutely no way close to accurate.
...well maybe if you add 50k

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

best dash

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

hey buddy, chill the gently caress out with your humblebrag pics.
Not all of us can afford backlit LCD's okay?

Mine sometimes loses half the lights behind the LCD, then they come back and work for a really long time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

drat VFRs are sweet. Are the gear-driven cam versions the best ones?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

People on the internet like to exagerrate a lot about carbs and their associated difficulty but this is 100% spot on. If the bike is from the 80's/done a lot of miles just go ahead and buy some intake boots before even attempting this.

Thirded. My first bike as a POS 82 V45 (that's a 750, before they got chicken-taxed to 700. The V65 was an 1100 or so.) I rebuilt the carbs and in the process had to install/remove more than once because noob. Never again. At least it made working on CB racks and doing my 6th gen VFR's (oh god buy me please) valves seem easy by comparison.

Also, if anyone wants CV diaphragms for and early Magma let me know. Got a set sitting in my toolbox that I will never ever ever need.

Stealth edit:
The Magma was cool tho when I got it running. It was only the second thing I had ridden, after MSF 125cc beaters. The first time I really twisted the throttle and it felt like I wasn't moving, it felt like god reached down and turned the earth for me.

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 25, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

A MIRACLE posted:

drat VFRs are sweet. Are the gear-driven cam versions the best ones?

The fifth gen are the best ones. They're the first to have fuel injection, they have gear driven cams, and they don't have that silly useless VTEC thing going on that the 6th gens do.
The 4th gen 750's are alright too. They've got gear driven cams but they are still carbureted. The 3rd gens do have the sexiest wheels though.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

monsterzero posted:

Thirded. My first bike as a POS 82 V45 (that's a 750, before they got chicken-taxed to 700. The V65 was an 1100 or so.) I rebuilt the carbs and in the process had to install/remove more than once because noob. Never again.

Same, but with an 01 ZX6E. That stupid "ram air" intake was a massive pain to get lined-up for what I'm almost certain was a negligible (if anything at all) gain.

monsterzero posted:

It was only the second thing I had ridden, after MSF 125cc beaters. The first time I really twisted the throttle and it felt like I wasn't moving, it felt like god reached down and turned the earth for me.

I remember the first time I popped the front wheel off the ground taking off from a stop light with too much right hand and not enough left. :kimchi: Good times...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The fifth gen are the best ones. They're the first to have fuel injection, they have gear driven cams, and they don't have that silly useless VTEC thing going on that the 6th gens do.
The 4th gen 750's are alright too. They've got gear driven cams but they are still carbureted. The 3rd gens do have the sexiest wheels though.

im jonesing for a VFR now. There are some really nice ones near me, what should I be looking for and what year range? Why are they all red?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/6116956145.html how is the price on this?

Also this not good one where hes not even using current pictures of the bike because its needs to be repainted.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/6133587898.html
How did he think a posting like that would be ok?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 25, 2017

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fauxtool posted:

im jonesing for a VFR now. There are some really nice ones near me, what should I be looking for and what year range? Why are they all red?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/6116956145.html how is the price on this?

Also this not good one where hes not even using current pictures of the bike because its needs to be repainted.

Why is a Honda red, he asks

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

Why are Suzukis blue and Kawis green? Because Honda.

Have I mentioned I have a white 6th gen for sale? For a goon I'd meet you at the Airport in Sac so you could ride it home. What? You're not interested. I'll stop now, I promise. :smith:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Fauxtool posted:

Lol I already had both of those starred. What's up LA buddy

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol I already had both of those starred. What's up LA buddy

hey back off bro!

Want me to low ball him hard and set you up for the reasonable offer?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Haha it's not like there's a shortage of cool bikes on LA craigslist, if you want it go get it. I'm still looking for a buyer for the FZ right now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
One of these days I will own a Yellow 5th gen VFR.

Edit:
https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/6140709726.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/6143396689.html

FUCKKKKKKKKKKK that is not close to me. I don't mind riding it back, but flying there ain't cheap.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 25, 2017

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The MAKE LIKE A BANANA AND PEEL OUT NOW part of the ad seems so appropriate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
How hard is it to disable a linked brake system?

I mean I guess it's fine but it seems like, I dunno, just kinda unnecessary

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

How hard is it to disable a linked brake system?

I mean I guess it's fine but it seems like, I dunno, just kinda unnecessary

It's not bad functionally, but bleeding it is more painful than a normal setup. The easiest way to get rid of it in the VFR is a superhawk fork conversion and for the rear I think they use a loop from the primary circuit to utilize the other piston.

Edit: For your viewing pleasure

Gonna Send It fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 26, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
those 5th gens look better than much newer ones even when they are pretty excellent deals like this one
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/6143891917.html he doesnt say, but 2007?
I kinda wanna sell my bike and get this and grom

tjones
May 13, 2005
I don't understand why they started putting the big drat cans back in front of the rear wheel again (emissions maybe?). The VFR looked so much more tidy with an under-tail exhaust. What is the point of an SSD if the exhaust is in the way? I thought the last gen models (- 2013) looked great.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

tjones posted:

I don't understand why they started putting the big drat cans back in front of the rear wheel again (emissions maybe?). The VFR looked so much more tidy with an under-tail exhaust. What is the point of an SSD if the exhaust is in the way? I thought the last gen models (- 2013) looked great.

Weight loss and mass centralisation. According to the briefs, moving back to a side can lowered weight by ~5kg, despite still using a big fuckoff can. Also not great for bags or pillions?

You can still show off that rear wheel if you get a more appropriate exhaust.

Honestly my only gripe with the 8th gen is that you can't get rid of the cat, which means you can never have that stonking v4 sound at lower revs (higher revs and VTECCCCCC solve that).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Barnsy posted:

You can still show off that rear wheel if you get a more appropriate exhaust.

Or a less appropriate exhaust:
http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/14235-Gen-4-CBR-undertail-attempt

The high mount exhausts still look good though:

Anywho...
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > "Tell me what bike to sell!" It's time to stop hoarding spider's nests.

She's on her way to Seattle, WA from Falls Church, VA

Edit: holy poo poo I didn't know that full systems were available for the 5th gen :o:
https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=171116491111&&&dispItem=1&chn=ps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-4-1-Exhaust-System-MINI-8-Carbon-Muffler-VFR800-Fi-97-02-High-Level/181206324753?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 26, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Speaking of sport tourers... thoughts? Are these good? Is an aftermarket exhaust a red flag?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/6147732670.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I owned a gen 5 VFR twice and rode a rather beatup gen 4. Between the two, I think the gen 4 is a better bike. The injection on the gen5 sucks and is surgy, and I know the bike gained a bunch of weight as well. The gen4 had weirdly narrow bars, which might be something you can solve in the aftermarket. The gen 4s were known to have more charging system issues, but both bikes can have R/R problems that are pretty easy to fix. The linked brakes are a non issue unless you're going to track the bike really hard (which would be stupid).