Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ive been playing a lot of ghost recon wildlands which is basically a ubisoft/far cry style game without any crafting and a weird coop mode added in, and its the same thing where the game is much better if you just turn off the hud/icons etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nigga crab pollock posted:

the core problem with ubisoft games is the icons, it removes the suspense and uncertainty from the game world and im sorry i don't play games to be bombarded with a visually overwhelming but ultimately mindless stream of stimuli, i like suspense and uncertainty. like far cry 3 might even be a good game if they didn't literally point out every wild animal in a 15 mile radius of dense jungle with giant neon arrows and expect you to find them threatening

like they run counter to what you would expect the design goals of these games to be and the fact that its a repeated thing they do in every game betrays the fact that they have no interest in making game design decisions based on gameplay, they just churn out games to a design specification

my issue is they can never fully pull off a "Dynamic world". far cry games do it pretty well, as do some of the rear end creed games. honestly primal felt the most dynamic. you could spark fights and sneak up and gently caress up entire camps. like once i snuck up a cave man railing his wife in camp and smahed his skull in mid loving, she of course screams and and starts running toward a group of other cavemen, and i use a fire arrow on her and she sets the village alite. it was fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

ive been playing a lot of ghost recon wildlands which is basically a ubisoft/far cry style game without any crafting and a weird coop mode added in, and its the same thing where the game is much better if you just turn off the hud/icons etc.

this. its fun. i wish the missions had more variety but its fun getting into massive fire fights with cartel dipshits. and just wasting entire outposts. that said i wish the game had more dynamic events and patrols.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Maya Fey posted:

they make the same game over and over and it's all the same tedious open world busywork poo poo with mediocre and repetitive gameplay. at this stage i wonder if it's even worth it, people actually cry when games are too long now so they might be better off working on well designed discrete levels rather than making giant empty open worlds to do 600 identical fetch quests in

Giant open world games can be fun if there are good mechanics supporting it. If the outposts in Far Cry games were actually treated as controllable objectives ala STALKER: Clear Sky the games would instantly become very cool.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

they make the same game over and over and it's all the same tedious open world busywork poo poo with mediocre and repetitive gameplay. at this stage i wonder if it's even worth it, people actually cry when games are too long now so they might be better off working on well designed discrete levels rather than making giant empty open worlds to do 600 identical fetch quests in

people don't play the game for 600 hours but they loving love hearing that they're getting 600 hours of entertainment for their 60 bucks

also the hottest new fad sweeping the nation is a little stick on a ball bearing that you can spin, and people pay hundreds of dollars for them

the 'well designed discrete levels' thing is what the absolute bottom-budget one-man-operation tier of indie games trades in because it is impossible to make money doing it, and the AAA devs are probably just putting more effort than they need to into making the collection/fetch bullshit not literally the same thing 600 times

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 26, 2017

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
they heavily rely on collectibles which are just straight up a bad gameplay system

collecting things isnt bad, but getting rewarded based on how many identical tasks you have repeated is the worst poo poo ever. you must collect 5/15 blow up sex toy dolls before you may access this content, which is also a collectible fetch quest with rewards on half/third completion. its like world of warcraft except without the long term 'im gonna be max level someday' skinner box that compels people to play except with even more bread crumbs and even less abstract player choice in where they can make numbers go up

its basically a game that tells you exactly how to play it and in what order to play it and whats the point of playing a video game like that

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

people don't play the game for 600 hours but they loving love hearing that they're getting 600 hours of entertainment for their 60 bucks

also the hottest new fad sweeping the nation is a little stick on a ball bearing that you can spin, and people pay hundreds of dollars for them

the 'well designed discrete levels' thing is what the absolute bottom-budget one-man-operation tier of indie games trades in because it is impossible to make money doing it, and the AAA devs are probably just putting more effort than they need to into making the collection/fetch bullshit not literally the same thing 600 times

i don't think that's true, DOOM's success (which was really out of nowhere) was all level design and tight, controlled gameplay. the reception of games like Mirror's Edge Catalyst and MGSV (both of which made the transition from levels to open world) shows that people are getting sick of it imho

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Actually most indie games trade in bland procedural generation these days.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Zorodius posted:

This is cultural appropriation! Outrageous + disgusting!

RE: game design, everything that isn't dwarffort.exe is just a reskin of cookie clicker.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 26, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nigga crab pollock posted:

they heavily rely on collectibles which are just straight up a bad gameplay system

collecting things isnt bad, but getting rewarded based on how many identical tasks you have repeated is the worst poo poo ever. you must collect 5/15 blow up sex toy dolls before you may access this content, which is also a collectible fetch quest with rewards on half/third completion. its like world of warcraft except without the long term 'im gonna be max level someday' skinner box that compels people to play except with even more bread crumbs and even less abstract player choice in where they can make numbers go up

its basically a game that tells you exactly how to play it and in what order to play it and whats the point of playing a video game like that

I dont bother with the collectables unless they improve a specific area of gameplay that i enjoy. other than that I just basically raid outposts and gently caress around. these games are a lot more enjoyable if you turn off all the hint and information systems and visual aids and just go out into the world with no explanation

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

i don't think that's true, DOOM's success (which was really out of nowhere) was all level design and tight, controlled gameplay. the reception of games like Mirror's Edge Catalyst and MGSV (both of which made the transition from levels to open world) shows that people are getting sick of it imho

Looks to me like it's done pretty much the same as, slightly worse than DOOM 3? Something called DOOM doing pretty well is about as unprecedented as something called Grand Theft Auto making a few bucks, I don't know that that and an infamously poorly managed game that's literally missing its last third because the company that made it wanted to be making pachinko games instead represent much of an open-world backlash, I wasn't claiming that it was impossible for any open-world game to do poorly under any circumstances.

Mordja posted:

Actually most indie games trade in bland procedural generation these days.

the ones that AREN'T Minecraft knockoffs. all three of them

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
ever since it stopped being a technical hurdle that required a dedicated team to achieve "open world" gameplay has become something developers use to cover up lazy game design or glaring issues in the gameplay loop

like ever since console hardware got to the 360 it was no longer an issue and its why you saw so many really lazily designed open world games like mafia, mercenaries 2, crackdown, that purely operate on the novelty of being an open world game which no longer holds much water in 2017

mercenaries 1 is basically far cry 3 except with far less poo poo to do, except its a better open world game because you have a sense of purpose and a clear sense of progression

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Looks to me like it's done pretty much the same as, slightly worse than DOOM 3? Something called DOOM doing pretty well is about as unprecedented as something called Grand Theft Auto making a few bucks, I don't know that that and an infamously poorly managed game that's literally missing its last third because the company that made it wanted to be making pachinko games instead represent much of an open-world backlash, I wasn't claiming that it was impossible for any open-world game to do poorly under any circumstances.

the ones that AREN'T Minecraft knockoffs. all three of them

i'm not sure this site is accurate, there's an estimated 1.7M doom owners on steam alone and it only shows 0.3M for PC. does it only track physical? in any case i'm talking about the reception of those games, doom got excellent reviews and word of mouth despite everything about it looking like poo poo during development and both mgsv/me2 were criticized for the usual "open world with nothing in it" poo poo plaguing AAA releases.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Maya Fey posted:

i'm not sure this site is accurate, there's an estimated 1.7M doom owners on steam alone and it only shows 0.3M for PC. does it only track physical? in any case i'm talking about the reception of those games, doom got excellent reviews and word of mouth despite everything about it looking like poo poo during development and both mgsv/me2 were criticized for the usual "open world with nothing in it" poo poo plaguing AAA releases.

PC digital distribution isn't always being recorded properly. I read an article a few days ago about how one of the sales aggregators finally got access to some digital data and the numbers were like 5-6 times higher than physical sales.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Who buys physical PC games anymore? You can get WOW at Walmart, but that's about it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Universe Master posted:

Who buys physical PC games anymore? You can get WOW at Walmart, but that's about it.
I've only bought 2 physical PC games in the last 3 years. Both of them ESO collector's editions (the Imperial one from launch and the Morrowind that's coming out in 2 weeks).

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

maybe? idk. Reddit is trying to claim it sold 3 mil :shrug:

I don't really think reviewers drive the industry for AAA titles, though. They're a bonus but they sure as poo poo aren't a major concern for, like, Marvel movies and stuff and those are getting reviewed by guys who don't spend all day vociferously hashing out Gamergate on Twitter. It may be that people are getting tired of the open world fad but Ubi isn't going to stop making Far Cry 3 clones until they stop being profitable, and that's a long way off. And like that other dude pointed out, procedural generation and poo poo have been a major thing all over the games industry for like over a decade now because people absolutely buy based on the quantity of stuff you say you have in your game.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 26, 2017

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Universe Master posted:

I want a far cry game set in a fantasy universe. Some dark wizard looking through a crystal finds a loaded arsenal on present day earth and opens a portal that sucks stockpiles of assault and sniper rifles and light machine guns and armed jeeps and all the usual far cry stuff and he hands it out to a bunch of orc followers. You're a commando dude who gets sucked in as well, and a good wizard finds you and teaches you Bioshock/Skyrim type hand weapon magic. You'll take down orks armed with AKs with either guns or magic and hunt dragons and griffons and manticores.

Speaking of, why the gently caress isn't anyone rebooting Arcanum? Hopefully someone good I mean, please not Bethesda.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

this poo poo looks like its gonna own

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

John Wizard you must take down the orc outposts and capture the mordor towers. don't forget to collect all 100 rings of power

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Nobody has actually argued in favor of death of the author you weird angry nerd
I don't know if someone said this already but I'm arguing for death of the author of the quoted post :grin:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

a hole-y ghost posted:

I don't know if someone said this already but I'm arguing for death of the author of the quoted post :grin:

What the

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Maya Fey posted:

John Wizard you must take down the orc outposts and capture the mordor towers. don't forget to collect all 100 rings of power

It's kind of bullshit that they give you the best stuff after collecting but by the time your are done collecting you are already finished the story and no longer need the powerful stuff

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
VGChartz had been known to just make up numbers for almost a decade now and yet people still cite it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sorry I don't know all the hottest scuttlebutt on bideogame statistics websites and just googled up some numbers I guess

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Franais.

Maya Fey posted:

I know in my heart shadow of mordor 2 is going to loving suck huge rear end :smith:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

EorayMel posted:

I know in my heart shadow of mordor 2 is going to loving suck huge rear end :smith:

why. it looks like its improving on the right stuff, gameplay and the nemesis system. plus more gore.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah from the one gameplay trailer ive seen it looks great

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yeah it looks awesome from every preview. Everything from the first game is still there. With improvements actual battles where you set up your army beforehand. The rune system turned into a loot system. It all looks super cool.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 26, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

EorayMel posted:

I think it's going to kick rear end, and will pleasantly surprise you.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

I think it's going to kick rear end, and will pleasantly surprise you.
let's team up and kick eoraymel's rear end :twisted:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Shadow of Mordor's flagrant disregard for canon was the tightest poo poo ever

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

WatermelonGun posted:

Shadow of Mordor's flagrant disregard for canon was the tightest poo poo ever

:same: and this one seems to start forging a new One ring of power so get read for more

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
There has to be atleast a cameo appearance of a maga baseball cap in this

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Grevling posted:

Speaking of, why the gently caress isn't anyone rebooting Arcanum? Hopefully someone good I mean, please not Bethesda.

The guys who made Wasteland 2 would be perfect for rebooting Arcanum.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bombadilillo posted:

:same: and this one seems to start forging a new One ring of power so get read for more

It's got Orcs building brick factories and grenades, game will own.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Its lame that its just a cult as opposed to the town just being white supremacists fighting against a black guy like real life

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

It's got Orcs building brick factories and grenades, game will own.

Theres a magic orc tribe a mechanical (steamlink?) Tribe.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

a bone to pick posted:

The guys who made Wasteland 2 would be perfect for rebooting Arcanum.

I agree, they'd do a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Maya Fey posted:

my thoughts exactly

i hope this one is LESS open world, still exploration to do but more focused missions, tough balance to strike i imagine but there are only so many outposts you can take over

i dig the theme though and the vibe so far but like i played farcry 3 already lol and dont really want to play it again

• Locked thread