Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Between that and Bill being a well-written black lesbian whose identity is actually well-represented and having an anti-capitalism episode this feels like a really far left season, considerably more so than say, last seasons zysis episodes.

I've just caught up with the new series and I was thinking exactly this- the second episode ends with settlers negotiating with natives to share their land, the third literally asks out loud whether a life built on the suffering of others is worthwhile and makes a rich man the villain, and then the fifth goes even further and makes capitalism the villain. It's not like Doctor Who has never had an ideology before, but this is some surprisingly on-the-nose lefty sentiment for a BBC show under a Tory government.

Extremis was cool, felt weirdly like a lower-stakes Heaven Sent. I knew about the virtual reality twist going in but I didn't know the actual characters were simulations, and that was a fun thing to slowly realise.
Now that I think about it, there was a little thread dangled early on about how every suicide's body was accounted for except one but he probably committed suicide too, and I don't think that ever paid off. Was that the priest in the forbidden library?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah. "Your missing translator."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gxD9_XNW8A
In which Pearl and Peter introduce The Pyramid at the End of the World

I feel the need to rewatch The Pyramids of Mars now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vinylshadow posted:

I feel the need to rewatch The Pyramids of Mars now

You mean you don't feel that way 24/7? :confused:

Sarah Jane :swoon:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Sarah Jane :swoon:

I can only picture this is Tenth Doctor Voice, somehow.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor Who is going to China, with SMG Pictures holding the rights for Series 1-15. That's right, Series 15 (Season 41).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Doctor Who is going to China, with SMG Pictures holding the rights for Series 1-15. That's right, Series 15 (Season 41).

Most of the articles on this say "up to season 15," unfortunately. :(

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

I can only picture this is Tenth Doctor Voice, somehow.
"My Sarah Jane."
"My Doctor."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I wonder how they're handling the "no time travel" requirement by Chinese censors.

(The answer, like most business dealings in authoritarian countries, is "with a large pile of money".)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I wonder how they're handling the "no time travel" requirement by Chinese censors.

(The answer, like most business dealings in authoritarian countries, is "with a large pile of money".)
ha yeah! or edit for chronology.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Diabolik900 posted:

Wouldn't this mean that the bad guys created the Veritas themselves when setting up the simulation? That would be a pretty big blunder.

Maybe save points?

You want the simulation to be accurate for the present and near future. How do you test that? An easy way would be to set up historical simulations and see how well they predict what actually happened. Like Crusader Kings II seems pretty detailed and has a bunch of accurate historical figures, but if you set up in some isolated corner and just let the rest of the world run on AI, in a couple hundred years the game world will be very different from the historical reality. Any simulation is going to have some drift, but if you start the simulation running in 1200 AD and by 1500 AD the world mostly looks the way it did in the real 1500 AD, then you know your simulation is really good.

At some point a tiny heretical cult discovered the truth, they wrote it down, and then they all committed suicide. In the real world none of that happened. Instead the tiny heretical cult accomplished nothing of note and died out because they were all celibate, or because they were murdered, enslaved, or converted to another sect and disappeared. Whatever, the only difference is that they disappeared 20 years later in the real world, and in both cases they had no noticeable effect on the development of the world.

The aliens have this amazing simulation but (as seen in their random number generator) they have a lazy programmer on staff. That guy uses "close enough" save points to continue the simulation rather than loading every possible parameter fresh each time. So the Veritas, a tiny flaw in the simulation, ends up getting saved and propagated in other versions of the Vatican collections. In most runs of the simulation that tiny flaw doesn't matter and so isn't detected, because it is only ever seen by celibate librarians, and anyone who reads it dies without changing much.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 26, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe save points?

You want the simulation to be accurate for the present and near future. How do you test that? An easy way would be to set up historical simulations and see how well they predict what actually happened. Like Crusader Kings II seems pretty detailed and has a bunch of accurate historical figures, but if you set up in some isolated corner and just let the rest of the world run on AI, in a couple hundred years the game world will be very different from the historical reality. Any simulation is going to have some drift, but if you start the simulation running in 1200 AD and by 1500 AD the world mostly looks the way it did in the real 1500 AD, then you know your simulation is really good.

At some point a tiny heretical cult discovered the truth, they wrote it down, and then they all committed suicide. In the real world none of that happened. Instead the tiny heretical cult accomplished nothing of note and died out because they were all celibate, or because they were murdered, enslaved, or converted to another sect and disappeared. Whatever, the only difference is that they disappeared 20 years later in the real world, and in both cases they had no noticeable effect on the development of the world.

The aliens have this amazing simulation but (as seen in their random number generator) they have a lazy programmer on staff. That guy uses "close enough" save points to continue the simulation rather than loading every possible parameter fresh each time. So the Veritas, a tiny flaw in the simulation, ends up getting saved and propagated in other versions of the Vatican collections. In most runs of the simulation that tiny flaw doesn't matter and so isn't detected, because it is only ever seen by celibate librarians, and anyone who reads it dies without changing much.

OR the Veritas exists IRL too, and it says exactly what it says, but in the real world it's more or less a combination of esoteric religiosity and speculative fiction - our world has texts that hypothesize that our world is a simulation, after all. The difference is that in the simulation, the Veritas speculation is, by coincidence, correct :aaaaa:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CommonShore posted:

OR the Veritas exists IRL too, and it says exactly what it says, but in the real world it's more or less a combination of esoteric religiosity and speculative fiction - our world has texts that hypothesize that our world is a simulation, after all. The difference is that in the simulation, the Veritas speculation is, by coincidence, correct :aaaaa:

Woah.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Giving people a crisis to figure out and see how they deal with it seems to be in line with the whole exercise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Giving people a crisis to figure out and see how they deal with it seems to be in line with the whole exercise.

I largely agree with this. It's a fairly safe way of simulating the types of people to be aware of who might be able to make the jump that they're simulations themselves, and seeing how they react to that information.

I also like the idea of the people who have figured it out killing themselves not just because "who wants to not be real"/"what's the point of a false existence", but as a gently caress you to the simulation's architects to gently caress with their results.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd like the idea of the inhabitants of a simulation figuring out that they're just a simulation but taking comfort from it somehow. Either "Well at least this lovely year isn't actually really happening" or "Well, we're a drat good one, so good on our programmers. Well done!"

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
And that's the story of how a single sheet of psychic paper toppled humanity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd like the idea of the inhabitants of a simulation figuring out that they're just a simulation but taking comfort from it somehow. Either "Well at least this lovely year isn't actually really happening" or "Well, we're a drat good one, so good on our programmers. Well done!"

Something like Fry in Futurama would have been funny.

Bender: There is no God, nothing you ever do will ever matter, and your life has no meaning.
Fry: Well that's a load off my mind! :haw:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 26, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Avalerion posted:

The Doctor specifically said that part of what the simulation was testing was the reactions of people smart enough to realise they're stimulants so this makes sense. Although in that case why was the villain so keen to take the Veritas from him?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

2house2fly posted:

The Doctor specifically said that part of what the simulation was testing was the reactions of people smart enough to realise they're stimulants so this makes sense. Although in that case why was the villain so keen to take the Veritas from him?

Veritas has a double meaning - it's also the Backdoor put in by the creators in case things ever got out of hand... Time for a bit of magic hand-wavy rewiring to wrap this story up in a bow!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Yeah, my impression was that they had been running a lot of different scenarios. Presumably former simulated Doctors gave them trouble before (even if they devised plans to kill him) but now that the Doctor is vulnerable they think their invasion can succeed. My guess is that the resolution is going to deal with the fact that their simulation isn't perfect and Doctor takes advantage of one of their blindspots (ha) to beat them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe the Doctor ends up putting them in their own simulation and they "win" and rule the world with an iron fist while never actually threatening reality whatsoever? I think that would be neat if maybe a little obvious.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe the Doctor ends up putting them in their own simulation and they "win" and rule the world with an iron fist while never actually threatening reality whatsoever? I think that would be neat if maybe a little obvious.

I struggle to find a way out of this particular conundrum that doesn't sound like a Rick and Morty knock-off. Hell, the setup is pretty much M. Night Shaym-Aliens! or The Rickshank Rickdemption.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jerusalem posted:

It's more or less what they did to Moriarty on Star Trek.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

2house2fly posted:

Apparently, to defeat the smart people of earth, you just have to convince them that they are part of a simulation. The aliens could basically make earth defeat itself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Something like Fry in Futurama would have been funny.

Bender: There is no God, nothing you ever do will ever matter, and your life has no meaning.
Fry: Well that's a load off my mind! :haw:

"You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless! You've got to hope even more, and cover your ears and go la, la, la, la, la, la!"

Fry would make a great Doctor Who companion. :allears:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Jerusalem posted:

Also the ending of 'For the Man who has Everything'.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s6y-4vLnKY
The Doctor "brings it"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Veritas has shown the aliens that the best way to conquer earth is to persuade all humans that they are in a simulation, wait, and then sweep up the ones who didnt kill themselves.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I love a story that provides just enough space for the reader to do the work of filling in the plot holes.

For example, as written the Veritas document wouldn't have worked. Anyone translating from a dead language would inevitably do the numbers first, and then move on to the trickier bits. So by the time they understood the prediction, they already knew what was on then next page.

But have it be suggestive real-world mysticism, and that problem goes away. The translator says 'interesting, I wonder if there are other similar glitches'. In ththe real world, they don't find any, so the Doctor never gets called.

In the simulation, they do, because mummies are poo poo programmers. Have you ever seen a mummy type fast? They definitely hunt and peck the keyboard sloooowly. Which means they have to take all kind of shortcuts, so glitches are easy to find once you look for them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

radmonger posted:

For example, as written the Veritas document wouldn't have worked. Anyone translating from a dead language would inevitably do the numbers first, and then move on to the trickier bits. So by the time they understood the prediction, they already knew what was on then next page.
Yeah, but the Veritas also presumably suggests having multiple people think of a number and say it at the same time, and they stressed at the start that the translations were done by groups of people who all killed themselves. The list of numbers was a bit of a plot hole anyway I thought, since a random number generator would presumably come out with different numbers at different times- the group test works because they're all saying them at once.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Learned a cool fact while reading the new DWM special about Doctor Who Toys & Games, so let's have a little fun!

Trivia Time!

Are you ready?

Here we go!

In "The Day of the Doctor", Tom Baker cameoed as "The Curator". When Character Options needed to take reference photos to make The Curator action figure, where did the photo shoot take place?

a) The British Museum set
b) Tom's dressing room
c) The TARDIS set
d) A pub

Answer: It's Tom, so you KNOW the answer is d) a pub

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Dabir posted:

It's that aliens are coming to invade and they know exactly how to beat us.

I think the point of the NPC suicides was that it mucked up the simulation, cause the real CERN wouldn't just blow itself up out of nowhere. It introduces unrealistic data.

I want to know where CERN got all those bugs bunny dynamite sticks from. I thought they would overload the accelerator, since the thing already blew up on its own already.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I want to know where CERN got all those bugs bunny dynamite sticks from. I thought they would overload the accelerator, since the thing already blew up on its own already.

It's a video game, they just took the dynamite out of all those red barrels scattered around.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Master left a bunch of cartoon dynamite strapped to the back of TVs in case s/he ever wanted to do a another broadcast directly to the Doctor, and the CERN guys found it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

How do you guys think the Hadron Collider actually works? Everybody knows they have to continually pack it with dynamite like an old coal engine, the constant explosions are what keep the particles spinning :rolleyes:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The more I think on Extremis the more I like it. While it might not be realistic that they all commit suicide, I really like that the Veritas proves both that there is no God (in this setting) and that the world was intelligently designed, which makes it intolerable to devout Christians and amazing atheists alike. And the Doctor's acting in the Oval Office is fantastic, his dead voice when he says he read the Veritas is perfect. I really wish Capaldi wasn't leaving because I want to know if I could ever get tired of him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This great season makes me retroactively more annoyed that they stretched out "who am I? am I a good man?" for a whole season.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

This great season makes me retroactively more annoyed that they stretched out "who am I? am I a good man?" for a whole season.

I feel like they even did that just because Capaldi looks like such a loving badass and it made long time fans think that there was the possibility he was the Valeyard or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Facebook Aunt posted:

It did give us the best Master episode since the revival though.

Robot of Sherwood :haw:

• Locked thread