Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Baronjutter posted:

I would be quite please if Sethtrek changed my opinion of his works and instant desire for punching when I see his face on screen, maybe the trailer was just really bad. Will certainly give it a fair shot because it's at least sounding better and better on paper.

I wasn't impressed by the trailer either, but I think it really depends on whether or not it's able to hit the same sweet spot that Galaxy Quest did. Comedic science fiction can be great, but comedies about science fiction are generally pretty bad. It's got a shot at being decent if it's able to stay on the right side of that line.

edit- I was even less impressed by Discovery's trailer, though :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Where Silence Has Lease is one of the best episodes of TNG's entire run.

I'm watching that now and it's good so far but there was one line that bugged me. They're looking at inky blackness on the viewscreen and Riker says "it's like staring into eternity." No, regular space is like staring into eternity. The display is like staring into jack poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Frakes has had pretty steady work as a TV director. IIRC producers on Star Trek praised him for always coming in on time and under budget.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

To be fair regular space looks black from within a lit spaceship. You can't see the stars with the lights on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arglebargle III posted:

To be fair regular space looks black from within a lit spaceship. You can't see the stars with the lights on.

nah you can see the stars just fine with the lights on, our eyes can anyways. Cameras though have some trouble.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

Which is the appropriate space show to be excited for?

The Expanse

Did that get renewed? I've been hearing ominous things about it not pulling in enough ratings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It was renewed before the season finished airing.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yeah, it got renewed. It doesn't get the greatest ratings (although I'm not sure how it does by Syfy standards), but it gets good critical and audience reception, and probably helps Syfy get away from the "Sharktopus vs. Crocogator" reputation to a more "serious" network.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix is also paying for distribution rights in every other country, so there are other economic realities at play.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
It gave me a genuine scare when Nagilum's face appeared.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It gave me a genuine scare when Nagilum's face appeared.

It's a great lo-fi effect because it's not quite human, but it almost looks child-like, reflecting how it plays with and torments the crew. It's unsettling and then you give it that voice to top it all off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and call it now

Orville : Discovery :: 30 Rock : Studio 60

By which logic, The Orville will be the vastly superior show.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Studio 60 was atrocious and 30 Rock was bad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Echo Chamber posted:

:getout:

Studio 60 was way overly earnest. 30 Rock was perfect.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

macnbc posted:

The thing I can't help but wonder about Orville is what the audience is supposed to be. Everything about it to me screams "very expensive passion project that Fox will quietly shutter after 12 episodes"

You might be right. However, I think they're going to pull in those Seth MacFarlane fans, Trekkies who would otherwise not be watching Fox, and just people who like a good space romp. Considering how Guardians of the Galaxy is doing, I think they'll find a pretty good audience.

But it's Fox so it all depends on their magic 8 ball.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Echo Chamber posted:

Next thing you know you'll say Parks & Rec was bad.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

Yes, one of the greatest TV comedies ever was bad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Voyager should have had a clips show called The Trial of Captain Janeway and she should have ended up in that penal colony where she found Tom.

Don't even need the clips. At the end of the finale it zooms out, the lights come up and we see the entire TV series were the recordings being played at Janeway's court martial.

The entire court is looking at each other with sick, horrified expressions on their faces, and in unison the judges' panel shouts "guilty!"

End Credits.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Don't even need the clips. At the end of the finale it zooms out, the lights come up and we see the entire TV series were the recordings being played at Janeway's court martial.

The entire court is looking at each other with sick, horrified expressions on their faces, and in unison the judges' panel shouts "guilty!"

End Credits.

And then it Zooms out again and fades into a holo-grid and a young man exits to find fatter Riker and older Troi. "Jean-Luc, did you enjoy the Voyager holonovel?" asks Riker? "Who did you play as, son?" asks Troi.

"Neelix, mostly."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And then Benny Russell takes the sheet of paper out of his typewriter, smiles and pulls the chain on the bare light bulb.

"Nah, too many dames, it'll never sell."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Echo Chamber posted:

30 Rock was bad.

It's weird that you're on this comedy website when you apparently hate comedy and have no sense of humor

It's not like anyone here said they liked Big Bag Theory or something, God

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

And then we zoom out again to a snow globe with a little spaceship in it, and an autistic boy staring at it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is it better or worse that the "Native American guy sends main character on a vision quest-type-thing" trope is subverted by the guy actually being a magical space alien? Does it event count as a subversion?

I don't think I have the hatred for Wesley that most Trek fans do, but I'm not sure where I land on "Journey's End" - on one hand it pays off the setup of The Traveller, and it's kind of neat to actually have that continuity, on the other hand, I think I like Wesley more as a booksmart competent Startfleet kid rather then some sort of chosen one. Having him realize he doesn't want to follow in his father's footsteps seems like it would have played better if he showed even the slightest hint of it before the episode.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

The Bloop posted:

And then it Zooms out again and fades into a holo-grid and a young man exits to find fatter Riker and older Troi. "Jean-Luc, did you enjoy the Voyager holonovel?" asks Riker? "Who did you play as, son?" asks Troi.
"Neelix, mostly."

Powered Descent posted:

And then we zoom out again to a snow globe with a little spaceship in it, and an autistic boy staring at it.

Footage of the autistic boy and the snow globe are playing on a TV on a table in an open field
A bunch of bald guys are sitting at the table
Head bald guy speaks
"We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? No! It is a TV series! Zoom back camera!"
They tip the table over and walk away

It's the Q Continuum

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

I don't think Yakko was autistic.

(Animaniacs is the prime universe)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

vermin posted:

Footage of the autistic boy and the snow globe are playing on a TV on a table in an open field
A bunch of bald guys are sitting at the table
Head bald guy speaks
"We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? No! It is a TV series! Zoom back camera!"
They tip the table over and walk away

It's the Q Continuum

Suddenly, we cut to Bob Newhart's character from the previous series waking up. "Honey," he stammers, "wake up. You won't believe the dream I just had."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SomeMathGuy posted:

Suddenly, we cut to Bob Newhart's character from the previous series waking up. "Honey," he stammers, "wake up. You won't believe the dream I just had."

His wife isn't there, but he hears the shower running.

He gets up, walks into the bathroom.

Opens the shower door.

Q turns to him and says "Morning."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

His wife isn't there, but he hears the shower running.

He gets up, walks into the bathroom.

Opens the shower door.

Q turns to him and says "Morning."

Confused, he looks in the mirror and sees Sam Beckett staring back at him.

He runs down the stairs, out the front door, and pushes open the front gate, which squeaks slightly.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
A loud bass note sounds.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Knock it off, I already feel old enough this morning.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

In a flash of light, the autistic boy is replaced with John de Lancie, who looks at the camera and gives a knowing smile and a wink.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
And as the shuttlecraft takes off, a message below is spelled out in rocks:

GOODBYE END PROGRAM

And then Moriarty says "well, that was terrible."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

And then comes the montage of dancing Japanese robots.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I'm watching voyager for the first time. Three episodes in as of yesterday.

It's not good.

e: yeah nah. im stopping. i think i'm gonna pretend trek stops at ds9 and catch discovery when it slides out of CBS's hairy rear end.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 26, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Voyager watch throughs are a rollercoaster.

Step one: huh, Caretaker is even shittier than I remembered.

Step two: So this first season is pretty bad, but there's more continuity than I remembered and some of the characters are growing on me.

Step three: What the gently caress did I just watch?

Step four: Ugh, Torres, Paris, and Kim spotlight episode, let's just skip ahead.

Step five: shows still bad, but I hey, serial killer guy, evil clown, SUBSPACE SCISSION, and Warlord Kes were kinda neat.

Step six: zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Step seven: welp Kes is gone hot Borg lady seems OK though.

Step eight: hey, it's Kurtwood Smith! Oh gently caress me it's just another time travel plot.

Step Nine: every episode is a Doctor/Seven episode and I don't even mind.

Step ten: OK, now I mind.

Step eleven: hey it's Barclay. Hi Barclay.

Step who cares, Paris just hosed a scaceship, Janeway's in love with a fake Irish stereotype, and the Doctor made fan fiction real.

Step gently caress counting: Toooo maaaaany two-parters.

Step.. you know what gently caress it, I'm just gonna pretend they died out there.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Is enterprise worth watching or should I google "temporal cold war" and lol at whatever dumb poo poo follows.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Enterprise is hamfisted post-9/11 science fiction done incredibly shittily.

Just watch Galactica instead to scratch that post-9/11 depression itch since it's better in literally every way

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Regardless of how one thinks the ending of BSG went I will fight any one who thinks the first 4 episodes of Season 3 aren't some amazing television.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I'm watching voyager for the first time. Three episodes in as of yesterday.

It's not good.

e: yeah nah. im stopping. i think i'm gonna pretend trek stops at ds9 and catch discovery when it slides out of CBS's hairy rear end.

Hahaha, post of the week for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Regardless of how one thinks the ending of BSG went I will fight any one who thinks the first 4 episodes of Season 3 aren't some amazing television.

First watch through I didn't like the ending, but on the second watch I was like "wait, the ending is God did it, and they were outright stating right from the start that God did it, this is actually really clever".

And yeah the whole New Caprica thing is just incredible.