Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'll freely admit: I volunteered to canvass and GOTV for Hillary and I still feel burned from the election. I don't care if it's Zuckerberg or somebody else, I just want a fire-starter from the left. :(

e:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Apoplexy posted:

In case anyone isn't in the know: Duterte calls for the execution, extra-judicially, of drug users. IS AN ADMITTED FENTANYL ADDICT.

yeah, but he's one of the good ones so doesn't deserve to die. not like those other drug users

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'll freely admit: I volunteered to canvass and GOTV for Hillary and I still feel burned from the election. I don't care if it's Zuckerberg or somebody else, I just want a fire-starter from the left. :(

i did too, but I'd rather that fire actually come from the left and not a loving worthless tech billionaire

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, aren't Kushner and Ivanka making a mint off the presidency? Or did the FBI investigation froze their assets?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Majin posted:

That seems a bit overreaching in my eyes. We're all "people", so to speak, and I feel everyone should get a fair chance and not at all be discriminated against based of their race, gender, or sexual orientation. But where do these people's interests lie that falls so far outside of a normal leftist's views that others can differentiate between them?

Maybe you should describe the people you're talking about in less general terms, because I don't know how anyone can help you with this question when you're being this vague. It sounds like there are just some people here that you don't like for reasons that you can't or won't define and you want a label for those people.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 26, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Wark Say posted:

Wait, aren't Kushner and Ivanka making a mint off the presidency? Or did the FBI investigation froze their assets?

We are a lightyear away from the FBI doing something like freezing their assets. But yeah they're making big money.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
The Simpsons has become incredibly skilled at making funny stuff exceptionally unfunny.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
the idea of ivanka and baby kush being thrown in jail and ruined will never not make me happy

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DaveWoo posted:

Just finished reading the article, and it's actually a pretty fascinating read. Thanks for the link.

It is a really interesting article.

Just lol/sigh at the data that showed that white women were the group most likely to openly ask if a woman REALLY should be president.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Schizotek posted:

The Simpsons has become incredibly skilled at making funny stuff exceptionally unfunny.

mujch

your

posting

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddammit. This guy literally ordered the people of his country to get murdered. How many thousands of people have gotten murdered so far? You ain't in a position to make jokes, you dipshit. G'ah! :argh:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Goddammit. This guy literally ordered the people of his country to get murdered. How many thousands of people have gotten murdered so far? You ain't in a position to make jokes, you dipshit. G'ah! :argh:

'Jokes'.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I guess to change subjects to a more productive question left from the election: is there anybody on the bench in the foreseeable future to provide a credible Dem candidate from the left by 2020? Especially against an incumbent advantage (assuming Trump or Pence are still in, which is highly questionable)?

Duckworth has been passed around as an option, as far as I know. Will it just take time for someone to be recognized within four years' time?

Obama was a relative unknown before the 2004 DNC speech. Is there a comparable figure we could look to now with potential?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Wark Say posted:

Only bad people, though.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

:fuckoff:

You lost to the worst possible candidates. You do not get to say you are the leader of any resistance now. we don't want or need you. Go away

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

botany posted:

mujch

your

posting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZksCUeTqs6k&t=580s

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really think it's not her fault she lost though, there was a lot of russian interference, and Comey had a hand to play in it too, plus people were unfair to her for being a woman. It's a much bigger people then you guys seem to think.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I guess to change subjects to a more productive question left from the election: is there anybody on the bench in the foreseeable future to provide a credible Dem candidate from the left by 2020? Especially against an incumbent advantage (assuming Trump or Pence are still in, which is highly questionable)?

Duckworth has been passed around as an option, as far as I know. Will it just take time for someone to be recognized within four years' time?

Obama was a relative unknown before the 2004 DNC speech. Is there a comparable figure we could look to now with potential?

Kamala Harris is from the left-wing of the party and gets bandied about as a nominee for the usual reasons:

- Good speaker
- Liberal, but mainstream
- Good fundraiser
- Government experience
- Rapid career advancement and very impressive education credentials
- Woman/Black/Populist

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Franken, Duckworth, Gillibrand, Booker seem to be the ones with the best credentials in terms of visibility on the national stage, though their palatability to the left varies pretty greatly

Harris is a dark horse I guess

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Turtlicious posted:

What'd you do for that red text, holy poo poo.

I celebrated the banning of a gimmick poster in the Israel/Palestine thread. Isn't it marvelous, I'm pretty sure it indicates I'm against all of it. Everything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is good!
This is bad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The US isn't ready for a Dual-Degree-having, Purple-Heart-wearing, Thailand-Born, Polyglot-speaking, anal-sex-teasing, double-crippled Female President. And they are poorer as a country because of it. :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

citybeatnik posted:

They have until 2024 to get their spending up to that amount. Trump pissing off our allies by rambling on about them not paying their fare share is literally premature and a problem that's set to correct itself.

So what you're saying is that when the allies meet their obligations we get to hear Republicans crow about how Trump made them do it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Turtlicious posted:

I really think it's not her fault she lost though, there was a lot of russian interference, and Comey had a hand to play in it too, plus people were unfair to her for being a woman. It's a much bigger people then you guys seem to think.

quote:

Clinton says the second debate with Trump, during which he loomed menacingly behind her, was one of the hardest situations of the whole campaign. “Because what he was doing was so … uh …” — she pauses to search for words — “so personally invasive: following me, eyeing me.”

She considered confronting him, turning around and saying, “Get away from me!” But she figured that would just give him what he wanted. “I saw him destroy all of his Republican opposition who eventually tried to confront him on a debate stage, and he reacted with such contempt. He will gain points, and I will lose points.” Acknowledging how tight her grip on the microphone was during that debate, Clinton says, “Think of all the times where you are either mentally or physically gripping yourself, [willing yourself] not to respond, not to lash out, not to display the anger that you feel, because you know it will redound to your detriment. So you swallow it. You try to be honest with yourself, to know you’re feeling it but then say, ‘Okay, I’ve got a goal here and I’m not going to get knocked off-balance.’ ” Clinton maintained control. “So I ended up with another ‘win,’ ” she says. “But I also ended up with him really satisfying a lot of his potential voters. One of these commentators, I can’t remember who said, said, ‘Oh, he was the alpha male! He was the big gorilla in the …’ — whatever they call gorilla groups!

quote:

More than one male staffer spoke of a dark joke from the campaign, one that reflected their awareness of how little credit was given to Clinton and the women who worked for and supported her. The joke was that if Clinton won, the story would be about how the brilliant men running her campaign had managed to drag her limp body over the finish line. Coverage of Clinton's campaign staff focused on the "whiz-kid" Robby Mook and described Clinton's female advisors as "catty" and needing to be managed by Mook.

quote:

The brutal response McIntosh is referring to was the way in which expressions of unreserved support for Clinton were often met with accusations of featherbrained fangirl-dom, or vagina-voting. Even suggested by mainstream news outlets and pundits on CNN, PBS, and the Washington Post.

quote:

The impulse toward false equivalency is only getting worse, in her opinion. “The cable networks seem to me to be folding into a posture of, ‘Oh, we want to try to get some of those people on the right, so maybe we better be more, quote, evenhanded.’ ” When I mention MSNBC’s hiring of conservatives including George Will, and the New York Times’ new climate-change-skeptic opinion columnist, Bret Stephens, her brow furrows. “Why … would … you … do … that?” she says. “Sixty-six million people voted for me, plus, you know, the crazy third-party people. So there’s a lot of people who would actually appreciate stronger arguments on behalf of the most existential challenges facing our country and the world, climate change being one of them! It’s clearly a commercial decision. But I don’t think it will work. I mean, they’re laughing on the right at these puny efforts to try to appease people on the right.”

To be sure, Trump got plenty of negative coverage in the press as well, but, during the campaign at least, the negative stories didn’t seem to stick to him with the same adhesion. And even now, as investigations of his administration’s connections to Russia splash across front pages, the Times has launched a new feature, a weekly call to readers to “Say something nice” about him. I ask Clinton if she’s seen it. “I did!” she says with a wide smile, taking a beat. “I never saw them do that for me.”

quote:

They still chant “Lock her up” at Trump rallies, just as they did at the New York Stock Exchange as she gave her concession speech. “You know, these guys on the other side are not just interested in my losing, they want to keep coming after me. I mean, think about that for a minute. What are they so afraid of? Me, to some extent. Because I don’t die, despite their best efforts. But what [really drives them] is what I represent.”

Clinton knows that had she won, she would have governed in a time of deep anti-feminist backlash. “You know what?” she says. “I would have loved to have had that problem. Look, I know what’s out there. I have lived it. I have come of age at a time when expectations and norms and institutions changed for women.”

The NY Stock Exchange anecdote was something I had never heard before. What a bunch of loving sociopaths.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Honestly, if Zuckerberg was the founder and CEO of a successful company in a high-tech field like green energy, computer hardware, nanotech, or robotics, I would at least pay attention to what he is saying.

Facebook though? gently caress Facebook, and gently caress Zuckerberg for it. The whole thing is an incredibly creepy and invasive information gathering apparatus the likes of which any authoritarian/fascist leader would loooove to have control over. And I don't trust Zuckerberg to not have such tendencies.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
My wife watched that simpsons video with me. She utterly lost it at the Sessions bit. Literally on the floor laughing at that rat fink. Pro click right there

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

https://twitter.com/notch/status/867712929474510848

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

Honestly, if Zuckerberg was the founder and CEO of a successful company in a high-tech field like green energy, computer hardware, nanotech, or robotics, I would at least pay attention to what he is saying.

Facebook though? gently caress Facebook, and gently caress Zuckerberg for it. The whole thing is an incredibly creepy and invasive information gathering apparatus the likes of which any authoritarian/fascist leader would loooove to have control over. And I don't trust Zuckerberg to not have such tendencies.

also facebook helped trump win.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Maybe you should describe the people you're talking about in less general terms, because I don't know how anyone can help you with this question when you're being this vague. It sounds like there are just some people here that you don't like for reasons that you can't or won't define and you want a label for those people.

I don't "take names" or anything, but anyone who follows this thread on a daily basis should be able to speak to the fact that there are people who poo poo on the current Democrat party for "not doing enough" so to speak. Have they dropped the ball in the past? Of course! But there are numerous people on here that seem like they'd happily kneecap current liberal chances at making at least *some* progress if they got elected simply because they're not likely to make *enough* progress as far as they're concerned.

That's all I'm railing against. And maybe that's extreme, but to refer back to the beginning of this - That's what I'd personally consider "alt-left" (Doing the progressive party no favors)

Majin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 26, 2017

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Setch Rich*

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

At this point we're just waiting for Notch's body to be discovered hanging in his mansion; dude really went off the deep end of depression/moronism after moving to LA and realized he's sitting in a 6000 sq foot multimillion dollar home and knows nobody.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

hey did van jones ever apologize for his reaction to trump's garbage speech to congress?

I've never been so mad at a talking head.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Party Plane Jones posted:

At this point we're just waiting for Notch's body to be discovered hanging in his mansion; dude really went off the deep end of depression/moronism after moving to LA and realized he's sitting in a 6000 sq foot multimillion dollar home and knows nobody.

someone check to see if he's talked about buying industrial steel cable recently

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Didn't he complain about not being able to find a wife or something.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Notch has the brokebrains. Did he never get therapy after chilling with Snoop Dogg?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
i, for one, am shocked that women in beverly hills would be uninterested in a "person" like Notch

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Enjoy club fed

Wapo: Russian ambassador told Moscow that Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

Enjoy club fed

Wapo: Russian ambassador told Moscow that Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

Link isn't working.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/868241396494368772

A bit late for the regular 5 pm news hour but I'll take it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Let he who has not set up a secret channel of communication with the Kremlin cast the first stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

FizFashizzle posted:

Enjoy club fed

link

• Locked thread