Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That looks like a younger Moon, though. That may be a flashback, showing how she took Toffee's finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Quest For Glory II posted:

but i'm a little sensitive to this because especially in the realms of cartoons, people used to say this about the extremely racist Looney Tunes like Coal Black, all the time, to defend their enjoyment of it. "it was a product of its time, they're still amazing cartoons" "you can't judge it for its racism because everyone was racist back then", what have you. no, you can't divorce it from its context like that. mistakes were made, we learn from them and we grow. bob clampett, hey he's a fantastic director. coal black is still a racist pile of garbage. study the animation if you want. like it if you want, i don't care. it's still a searing fireball of hate and ignorance that crash-landed into a pile of animation cels.

A cartoon being awful and racist and poo poo is completely different from a person doing a voice on a cartoon having done some awful poo poo in the past, whether or not you think he's atoned for it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Senerio posted:

That looks like a younger Moon, though. That may be a flashback, showing how she took Toffee's finger.

That would be what I was implying, yes.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Oh ok, I saw people speculating as if it was current Moon, so I just assumed.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Senerio posted:

Oh ok, I saw people speculating as if it was current Moon, so I just assumed.

Wait, what? The VA is clearly different (and younger) than Grey Griffin. It's clearly Moon Butterfly fighting Toffee the first time in a flashback. The only real question is whether it keeps popping back during the present-day story like an episode of Lost or whether it all happens in one half-hour segment.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

raditts posted:

A cartoon being awful and racist and poo poo is completely different from a person doing a voice on a cartoon having done some awful poo poo in the past, whether or not you think he's atoned for it.
that's a bit disingenuous, it's a show called The Mike Tyson Mysteries, it stars Mike Tyson, he defines it. but even still. a person doing a voice in something that did something awful in the past is exactly what made Playtonic remove JonTron from Yooka-Laylee (and the fate of his voiced role in A Hat in Time is unknown as well). the point of what i'm saying though is not "cancel The Mike Tyson Mysteries", the point is "people have reasons for not giving it a chance"

if, let's say, Milo Yiannopulous did a voice in the new Ducktales, that would be the end of my interest in the new Ducktales

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 26, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Quest For Glory II posted:

that's a bit disingenuous, it's a show called The Mike Tyson Mysteries, it stars Mike Tyson, he defines it. but even still. a person doing a voice in something that did something awful in the past is exactly what made Playtonic remove JonTron from Yooka-Laylee (and the fate of his voiced role in A Hat in Time is unknown as well). the point of what i'm saying though is not "cancel The Mike Tyson Mysteries", the point is "people have reasons for not giving it a chance"

if, let's say, Milo Yiannopulous did a voice in the new Ducktales, that would be the end of my interest in the new Ducktales

Jontron and Milo Shitbag are currently terrible, though, which is why they are both toxic. Mike Tyson at least seems like he realizes he's led a hosed up life and has tried to turn things around and make good over the last decade or so.
I mean, I'm not arguing that people shouldn't be justified in not watching the show because of him, I'm saying that the content of a show itself being terrible (like racist cartoons from the 40s) is completely different and is a more objective reason to avoid it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Maybe before the movie comes we can start a Star vs thread. Heck maybe I'll do it once july comes around.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Maybe before the movie comes we can start a Star vs thread. Heck maybe I'll do it once july comes around.
I'm all for this, there seems to be enough posts about Star Vs. here to warrant its own thread. I haven't watched it yet, but all the hype makes me curious.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm all for this, there seems to be enough posts about Star Vs. here to warrant its own thread. I haven't watched it yet, but all the hype makes me curious.

You will absolutely not regret it. I hated episode 1, but now it's my favorite cartoon.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

All for this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Honestly I'm rooting for Ludo. Tiny Bird needs a win that doesn't end with Toffee screwing him over... Maybe he can start hanging out with Dennis again. :3:

Spoilered as there is a post right above me from someone who hasn't watched it yet.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Senerio posted:

You will absolutely not regret it. I hated episode 1, but now it's my favorite cartoon.

Yeah, I felt basically the same way. Maybe not hating it, but I watched the first episode shortly after it came out and thought it was just "eh." It all felt too twee for my tastes. But around the time of the season 2 premiere, goons were hyping it up enough that I got curious, and I can confirm the show is really good.

e: vv :yeah:

Pakled fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 26, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I still listen to Star's Princess Song all the time.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Star vs. was absolutely a slow burn as far as the first season goes, but once it hit its stride it got really, really good. It's definitely got enough chops for its own thread when season 3 starts.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I am completely on board with a Star vs. thread on the condition that we bring back the wordfilter for "cuck".

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Suspect A posted:

All for this.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Star vs. was absolutely a slow burn as far as the first season goes, but once it hit its stride it got really, really good. It's definitely got enough chops for its own thread when season 3 starts.

Whiz Palace posted:

I am completely on board with a Star vs. thread on the condition that we bring back the wordfilter for "cuck".

alrighty then, I'll start it this july so we don't have too much dead time before the movie

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

alrighty then, I'll start it this july so we don't have too much dead time before the movie

Not if I post it first! :argh: I already wrote up most of an OP when I had some time to kill at work a few weeks back and have been holding off on posting it until Actual Season 3 news hit

Definitely agree about holding off until July, though, unless other stuff like the new intro or outro get released.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not if I post it first! :argh:

thank you now I don't have to write an OP

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Hell, I was thinking of making a thread, too. I still plan on creating an episode guide for it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Hell, I was thinking of making a thread, too. I still plan on creating an episode guide for it.

Definitely do! I can always throw more stuff in the OP.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Moon better be teaching Star that spell. The shows been pretty good at giving me exactly what I want from it with regards to Stars magic specifically so there's a good chance.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
On the other hand, the show's also been pretty good at showing Star rejecting the path others have set out for her and doing her own thing, so it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

The first half of the first season is kind of weak, but the series really comes into it's own around the latter third or so of that season and becomes something magical right out the gate in the second, where the second half of the half hour block has an almost Bizarro-Samurai Jack vibe to it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ManlyGrunting posted:

The first half of the first season is kind of weak, but the series really comes into it's own around the latter third or so of that season and becomes something magical right out the gate in the second, where the second half of the half hour block has an almost Bizarro-Samurai Jack vibe to it.

Best part of that is that in this case, "takes half a season to get really going" only means seven half hours.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Thompsons posted:

This hit CN Latin America recently, some little shorts series called Villanos by Alan Ituriel. There hasn't been any official English release of it yet but I thought it was pretty decent.

Yeah, I saw this a while back and I like it a lot. I hope they get to build it into a full series.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm pumped for Season 3 and will gladly post in a Star Vs. thread with the rest of you.

Anyway, CN continues burning off Nu-PPG in the saddest ways possible, sandwiching a new episode in between HTTYD and Megamind airings tomorrow. Dumping it on Boomerang would be a mercy kill at this point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They've been doing that for the last month, yeah. They've got like three series they're in the process of burning off.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

When do they start burning off Clarence? It's a shame they're ending that one, it's one of their best current shows IMO. Chad is an excellent character.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

When do they start burning off Clarence? It's a shame they're ending that one, it's one of their best current shows IMO. Chad is an excellent character.

They were advertising an ALL NEW CLARENCE IN JUNE thing earlier today, so at least they're burning it off with some advertising....

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

One of the writers also mentioned that there's enough clarence episodes left that the show won't finish production until 2018 (like with Adventure Time)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

One of the writers also mentioned that there's enough clarence episodes left that the show won't finish production until 2018 (like with Adventure Time)

I could've sworn that production ended years ago

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I could've sworn that production ended years ago

I'm specifically talking about the overseas animation and post-production

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Senerio posted:

Spoiler-free review:

Yeah, it was trying hard to be random in an off-putting way, but it has one of the most solidly realistic protagonist I've ever seen. In most fantasy/sci-fi, protagonists are either average people with extraordinary events thrown their way. In the former case, though they can be depicted as lazy (like Phillip J. Fry in Futurama), this never seem to cross paths with overcoming the problems presented in the story. Sometimes they're self-selected for their determination, persistence, and hard-working nature (like Dr. Strange). Poor moral choices are only ever allowed to be from hate and spite on the part of the villain. The hero simply cares too much and will rush ahead of his or her team-mates, in a serious "this is my burden" kind of way, or they're too proud to work together and want to save the world their way, allowing every hero to be captured individually or the villain to get away as they fight amongst themselves. Lack of wisdom, laziness, and irresponsibility are hardly ever an obstacle to come in confronting the crisis, possibly because it's much more likely to hit closer-to-home as a moral dilemma for a TV watcher than, say, the decision not to rob a fusion power plant of its tritium and hold a nuclear scientist hostage. The villain is the one to lose by not dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's in the plan.

Star Butterfly's character flaws are exactly the opposite. She hardly ever has a problem working in a team, but her recklessness with her wand and her "meh, I'll get around to it tomorrow maybe" attitude comes back to bite her multiple times. I really appreciate Glossarick's role as an avatar for the concept of wisdom, and the scene where Star's parents say everything is okay in the kind of way it's apparent everything is not fine, and how Ludo as a villain does meticulous things like moving on from his secret base by the time Star and Marco head there. I can't wait for the show to come back in July.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There's a lot of stuff that the show does really well, and Star's character is definitely one of them (It also helps that Eden Sher is a fantastic fit for the role). I'm also a big fan of how the show is constantly building its characters, their relationships, and the depth of the overall plot, often so slowly that you don't even realize what's happening. Take Marco's relationship with Jackie-in a lot of other animated shows I've seen, the "Kid and their crush" relationship dynamic is utterly unbearable, since it always goes back to square one by the time the next episode airs. This show didn't do that-there's a very clear progression of Marco building up enough confidence to not act like a complete goober next to Jackie, recognizing he has to actually communicate with her if he wants her to know he exists, and finally spilling his guts and asking her out in a relatively mature way. It's genuinely good storytelling, and that kind of gradual character progression and plot development is found throughout the show.

Edit: Star vs the Forces of Evil: Come for the laser puppies, stay for the compelling emotional drama :v:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 28, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/gabrielenguard/status/868845894698885120

So it turns out one of the writers on the new Powerpuff Girls has been self-inserting himself as Blossom's love interest.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

So it turns out one of the writers on the new Powerpuff Girls has been self-inserting himself as Blossom's love interest.

:stare:

On the, uh, opposite end of good character writing...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm just shocked there are enough people watching nu-PPG to notice that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like this should be illegal somehow.