Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The internet losing their minds over the Jumpmaster continues to amuse me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I love my x-wing league. The gist of it is that you can use unqiue pilots but once, and generics 3 times. This has led to some pretty fun games. Here's my janks for the next 3 games I am a playing.

========
Imp Jank
========

99 points

Pilots
------

“Howlrunner” (20)
TIE Fighter (18), Wingman (2)

“Pure Sabacc” (26)
TIE Striker (22), Snap Shot (2), Adaptive Ailerons (0), Lightweight Frame (2)

Black Squadron Pilot (15) x 2
TIE Fighter (14), Crack Shot (1)

“Zeta Leader” (23)
TIE/fo Fighter (20), Snap Shot (2), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Finally a good use for Wingman!

Or my scum jank

Stupid Scum List
================

100 points

Pilots
------

Talonbane Cobra (37)
Kihraxz Fighter (28), Predator (3), Glitterstim (2), Engine Upgrade (4)

Guri (39)
StarViper (30), Lone Wolf (2), Virago (1), Autothrusters (2), Fire-Control System (2), Glitterstim (2)

N’Dru Suhlak (24)
Z-95 Headhunter (17), Cluster Missiles (4), Glitterstim (2), Fearlessness (1), Guidance Chips (0)

Thinking of maybe switching up Talons EPT. What you guys think? As it is, he boosts R1 of an enemy, burns space meth and hopefully gets a good kill.

N'dru and Guri flank, N'dru tries to suicide something, Guri is my closer.

And finally, good ole triple X

X Gonna Give It To Ya
=====================

99 points

Pilots
------

Wedge Antilles (33)
X-Wing (29), R3 Astromech (2), Juke (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Wes Janson (32)
X-Wing (29), R3-A2 (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Luke Skywalker (34)
X-Wing (28), R2-D2 (4), Lone Wolf (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Raged posted:

The Braylen/Jess/Rex/Biggs list can really work wonders if you can fly it well.

The thing is, I don't have much confidence in my flying skill. My set up and flying strategy is more to just joust and then fly around to finish them off.

I get that Braylen is supposed to neuter enemies with Stressbot, Rex shuts down attack power with Suppressive Fire, Biggs keeps Rex from dying in one hit, and Jess is an extra shoot-man... but it just seems like too fragile a squad that would fall apart as soon as one ship is destroyed.

I do not have much confidence in my ability to keep this list from going completely sideways. Maybe I should just go with my Bossk/N'Dru/TP Vet squadron.

*E*

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thinking of maybe switching up Talons EPT. What you guys think? As it is, he boosts R1 of an enemy, burns space meth and hopefully gets a good kill.

A fellow TBCobra enthusiast! :toot: I would change his EPT to Stay on Target, so that he has more options of moving; he either needs to be at range 1 for attacking, or range 3 for dodging.

IronSaber fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 26, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Was deabting that. Went instead with EU to get into R1 and pred for dice mods. But, I dunno, I'll play around on squad benchmark with both, see what happens.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

IronSaber posted:

The thing is, I don't have much confidence in my flying skill. My set up and flying strategy is more to just joust and then fly around to finish them off.

I get that Braylen is supposed to neuter enemies with Stressbot, Rex shuts down attack power with Suppressive Fire, Biggs keeps Rex from dying in one hit, and Jess is an extra shoot-man... but it just seems like too fragile a squad that would fall apart as soon as one ship is destroyed.

I do not have much confidence in my ability to keep this list from going completely sideways. Maybe I should just go with my Bossk/N'Dru/TP Vet squadron.

*E*

A fellow TBCobra enthusiast! :toot: I would change his EPT to Stay on Target, so that he has more options of moving; he either needs to be at range 1 for attacking, or range 3 for dodging.

If you're into "point at enemy, joust until dead" you really should mix and match Bossk/Ketsu (or Asajj)/Dengar however you'd like.
Bossk with cluster missiles/fearlessness/chips kills the crap out of things on the joust.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Raged posted:

Baaaaaaah

I'm second guessing my list for the Aus Open next weekend. Planning on Dengar/Tel since I have been flying it for about 2 months off and on. I probably have 20-25 games with and haven't lost yet and probably could fly it in my sleep. It's a drat good list and watching world's really improved how I flew it. Hell in the last 5 games I only had to use my damage deck twice.

However I have the following misgivings about running it.

1. Out of 90 players I fully expect to see a lot of people flying this list because of world's and other people will expect it. A recent store tourney where I am going had 6 people flying it.
2. I hate the idea of flying two ships list in a tourney. It cuts down on your options for misdirection and baiting.
3. I have tankier scum lists and lists with more firepower that I have just as much or more experience with.

Baaaaaah any advice or should I just get out of my own head?

Get out of your own head. Swerving to a new list based on meta decisions will rarely be better than your practice.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

admanb posted:

Get out of your own head. Swerving to a new list based on meta decisions will rarely be better than your practice.

100% this. I have fallen prey to this way too many times to even count.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

alg posted:

drive your car off a cliff instead of playing stupid jumpmasters

*Has Biggs in his list*

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

enigmahfc posted:

The internet losing their minds over the Jumpmaster continues to amuse me.

I was listening to the Mynock Squadron podcast and they brought up Jumpmasters. They made a point that for its cost, they're pretty good. Despite multiple changes to the upgrades people use with it, it's still seen in tourneys and top lists. The dial is good, it has a lot of upgrade options, and the contracted scouts get EPTs. Not even Rebel Y-Wing pilots got those unless you put the astromech droid on it - and I believe that's a unique one to boot.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

alg posted:

drive your car off a cliff instead of playing stupid jumpmasters
|/

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jump masters are some of the most fun minis to paint. Not seeing the problem here.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Thusly, AndyElusive scored two Stress tokens and a Focus.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I was listening to the Mynock Squadron podcast and they brought up Jumpmasters. They made a point that for its cost, they're pretty good. Despite multiple changes to the upgrades people use with it, it's still seen in tourneys and top lists. The dial is good, it has a lot of upgrade options, and the contracted scouts get EPTs. Not even Rebel Y-Wing pilots got those unless you put the astromech droid on it - and I believe that's a unique one to boot.

That's great, the Jumpmaster is a good ship; people still need to get their dicks out the blender about it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I think part of the frustration over the Jumpmaster is that, in addition to being one of the best ships around for its price, it's not exactly fun to play against. It's got a great dial with a white sloop (So it's hard to outmaneuver), it's got a turret (So it typically doesn't matter if you do manage to outmaneuver it), it's hardy as hell, and they fit into a number of different list archetypes, meaning you see them all the loving time.

Can they be beaten? Sure. Are the OP? Possibly. Would I cry if they were nerfed? Not a tear.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think part of the frustration over the Jumpmaster is that, in addition to being one of the best ships around for its price, it's not exactly fun to play against. It's got a great dial with a white sloop (So it's hard to outmaneuver), it's got a turret (So it typically doesn't matter if you do manage to outmaneuver it), it's hardy as hell, and they fit into a number of different list archetypes, meaning you see them all the loving time.

Can they be beaten? Sure. Are the OP? Possibly. Would I cry if they were nerfed? Not a tear.

It's funny how this describes my feelings about the Falcon way, way back when it first came out.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

a jumpmaster costs only 2 points more than fels wrath

let that sink in

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
What is the Fel's Wrath you speak of? I've never seen it.....

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
Here is my take on the jump master outcry, not that anyone should care what I think.

As a filthy casual, I don't give a poo poo about the jump master. I do see the point from the competitive scene why people are questioning its cost...
...and that is why I am a filthy casual. The day I start chasing the meta and only flying what is "viable" is the day I probably hang it up and call it quits. Chasing that unicorn meta doesn't sound fun to me. Since I started playing, it seems like there is always something that people are complaining about that is overpowered.

Maybe I am lucky in the local X-wing community here. Most of the store tournaments I attend have a pretty good mix of whatever. There may be one or two that show up with a net list and those one or two players never socialize, never come to the fun random game nights held by our local community.

Most of the people I play with are filthy casuals as well as we all play for fun, have lots of real world commitments, practice good hygiene, etc... so I am probably in a bubble.

Nerf or no nerf, I am good either way. I think the most sensible change I have heard is moving some of the upgrades (torpedoes, EPT, etc..) to the title card.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If something is ruining the tournament scene and nothing gets done, people will stop playing tournaments. That will affect people who play at league. The health of the meta and the game affects casual players to a point.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Dengar with title is fairly priced starting at 45 points. It's a really good ship, and it's OK for things to be really good.

The other ships without title are total steals for the points vs. how capable they are. Contracted Scout is 5 points cheaper than the Wild Space Fringer, has a comparable dial (I'd say the white sloop makes the Scout better), trades a missile and cannon slot for 2 torpedo slots and adds an EPT, Salvaged Astro slot, and Illicit. Madness.

Jumpmasters are fun and cool ships and I'm glad they are in the game. From a competitive scene perspective, they do bad things to the meta because of how cheap they are.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

enigmahfc posted:

What is the Fel's Wrath you speak of? I've never seen it.....

A ps5 tie interceptor.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

canyoneer posted:

Dengar with title is fairly priced starting at 45 points. It's a really good ship, and it's OK for things to be really good.

The other ships without title are total steals for the points vs. how capable they are. Contracted Scout is 5 points cheaper than the Wild Space Fringer, has a comparable dial (I'd say the white sloop makes the Scout better), trades a missile and cannon slot for 2 torpedo slots and adds an EPT, Salvaged Astro slot, and Illicit. Madness.

Jumpmasters are fun and cool ships and I'm glad they are in the game. From a competitive scene perspective, they do bad things to the meta because of how cheap they are.

Lol, Dengar's at least a point under, probably two. Han and RAC and Rey are all 46, and he's definitely better than either Han or RAC, and probably than Rey.

You're also drastically underestimating the dial; green hard turns and white turnarounds are the holy grail of dials, and it has *both*.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

canyoneer posted:

The fringer was a piece of poo poo, same for the outer rim smuggler, so that's not much of a point of comparison.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
My local TO and I had a game and were shooting the poo poo. He told me about one national he went to and playing against this one guy who really got into his head during the game. Everything is going well until the ships finally start shooting. Then during movement his opponent would hand him a template for his next move before he even flipped the dial.

Yeah sure you can predict some movements, but calling all of them for a round or two is just baller and would gently caress with anyone.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Contracted Scout is one more point than a Dagger Squadron and 2 more than a Red Squadron Pilot, lol.

Edit: even the "bad" side of its dial has white hards and sloops.

alg fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 27, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Panzeh posted:

The fringer was a piece of poo poo, same for the outer rim smuggler, so that's not much of a point of comparison.

I'd say so, because the Contracted Scout is 5 points cheaper than WSF and is better in every way.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

TheCenturion posted:

A ps5 tie interceptor.

...that was a joke about no one playing Fels Wrath.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

My local TO and I had a game and were shooting the poo poo. He told me about one national he went to and playing against this one guy who really got into his head during the game. Everything is going well until the ships finally start shooting. Then during movement his opponent would hand him a template for his next move before he even flipped the dial.

Yeah sure you can predict some movements, but calling all of them for a round or two is just baller and would gently caress with anyone.

Was it Morgan Reed (exAus champ and world's runner up)? I heard he likes to do that in his games.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

Was it Morgan Reed (exAus champ and world's runner up)? I heard he likes to do that in his games.

Yep. That's who it was.

Just loving baller way to throw someone off their game.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

enigmahfc posted:

...that was a joke about no one playing Fels Wrath.

Yeah make that joke. I may have to fly him at the Aus Open next week.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Morgan Reid is a (ex?) military man and does all this power pose kind of stuff during games. Someone was telling me it's a thing that's taught in the military to establish a hierarchy and dominance. Once you know about it then it becomes kind of funny.

He is a good pilot though.

I also do the predicting peoples move thing before they flip a dial but only to practice, not as an intimidation tactic. I'll usually just ask to see if I got it right.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The template handing thing just kind of makes him sound like an rear end in a top hat. "Mind games" in tabletop stuff is always really pathetic.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya I'd get kind of annoyed after a while even if he was a cool dude off the table.

The military doesnt care what you do when you're playing with your little space ships. So quit trying to excert your dominance. If you're guessing enemy manuevers right then it'll show during the game.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Well the garbage ships builds for the Aus Open that I keep babbling about have been finally selected

Scum

Star Viper/Black Sun Vigo/Auto Thrusters 29pts

Star Viper/Black Sun Enforcer/Seismic Torp/Auto Thrusters 29pts

Khiraxz Figter/Graz the Hunter/Glitterstim/Vectored Thrusters 29pts [/b]

Imperial

Cutlass Sq/Tie Punisher/Acc Corrector/Seismic Charge/Lightweight Frame 28pts

Tie Interceptor/Fel's Wrath/Royal Guard/Auto Thrusters/Hull Upgrade 28

Sigma Sq/Tie Phantom/Recon Spec/FCS/Lightweight Frame 32pts

Rebel

Knave Sq/E-wing/Sensor Jammer/BB-8/Stealth Device 36pts

Outter RIm Smug/YT-1300/Cassian Andor/Bo Shek/APL 33pts

Rebel Op/HWK-290/TLT 22pts

Basically the people who make it to the top 8 on day 2 have to pick one of the 9 ships 1st place picks first and so on. Obviously the hawk would be the best pick and the yt-1300 the worst

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Yesssssssss StarVipers! :dance:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
My local X-Wing group is having another 33 pt Mosh Pit today. I'm thinking of bringing this.

"Snap" Wexley (28)
Wired (1)
BB-8 (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 32

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

canyoneer posted:

I'd say so, because the Contracted Scout is 5 points cheaper than WSF and is better in every way.

It was a piece of poo poo well before jumpmasters came.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The template handing thing just kind of makes him sound like an rear end in a top hat.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Its right up there with the guys that use Store/regional plaques as shield tokens just to show how many times they've won. I had a guy do that at just a regular store tournament last year or so. I laughed then beat him (well, his list , not him).

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

There is a regular that uses the coins as shields and puts up the plaque and stand at every game. I can't help but laugh every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
We have a regular in our area who attends regionals and went to Worlds this year, and he uses one of those challenge coins to determine initiative when there's a points tie and as his Palpatine marker to indicate that he's used him.

It's always a little goofy, but luckily he's a really chill dude who regularly helps out newer players at casual nights and tournaments by offering good advice and lending ships, cards, and list-building tips. My friends and I are not very competitive players and so we never offer the guy much challenge when we play against him, but he always enjoys playing anyway while dazzling us with his sparkly dice and other various tournament knick-knacks.

• Locked thread