Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I am sure all those storage appliances that companies are dependent on will be issued prompt patches that will be installed by IT staff

Synology's will autoupdate and restart with a 1 hour warning which is kinda nice but also you can't configure a maintenance interval last I checked so its probably getting turned off my the small business segment. I get an email notification at like 5am a few times a month

yeah we replaced a old as gently caress and very expensive netapp with a $5k synology at work and its been excellent if you just need some network shares and snapshotting. they patch really reliably as well

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

it's pretty tricky actually! I implemented something like that once, and I used both a monotonic clock timer (which technically doesn't even exist on iOS but there are ways) and a "remaining block time" setting that was updated every second, so that it would be unaffected by changes to the device clock both while the app was running and while it was dead or sleeping (I should have used a keychain item or a private file instead of a setting, because settings can be altered through itunes/icloud backups). I also pessimistically incremented the failed attempts counter before even checking the pin, so that you couldn't terminate the app at just the right time to get free infinite tries

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

chipotle got hacked lol

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2017/04/25/chipotles-restaurants-hacked/%3Fsource%3Ddam

suddenly I know why my bank just sent me a new card

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i looked at my credit card statement and it's just a bunch of dumb bullshit

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Phone posted:

i looked at my credit card statement and it's just a bunch of dumb bullshit

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

hackbunny posted:

it's pretty tricky actually! I implemented something like that once, and I used both a monotonic clock timer (which technically doesn't even exist on iOS but there are ways) and a "remaining block time" setting that was updated every second, so that it would be unaffected by changes to the device clock both while the app was running and while it was dead or sleeping (I should have used a keychain item or a private file instead of a setting, because settings can be altered through itunes/icloud backups). I also pessimistically incremented the failed attempts counter before even checking the pin, so that you couldn't terminate the app at just the right time to get free infinite tries

that's actually really interesting and brings up the question of why modern phones/oses let you set up a custom date.

why not just set a hard limit at the date the firmware was signed and/or the last known good date as established by the an https connection to trusted ntp server?

it just seems to invite trouble every time

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

epic hides all description of security bugs in a secret folder they only the person fixing has access to. they never disclose them to customers until they're patched. most of them are straight up code injection due to heavy use of the x and d @ operators in their code.

which epic and what are x/d operators?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

that's actually really interesting and brings up the question of why modern phones/oses let you set up a custom date.

why not just set a hard limit at the date the firmware was signed and/or the last known good date as established by the an https connection to trusted ntp server?

it just seems to invite trouble every time

For Use off a working internet/wireless in general connection

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

do people do ntp over https now?

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best

ultramiraculous posted:

MUMPS is a pos prerequisite

perhaps you have arrived prematurely

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Subjunctive posted:

do people do ntp over https now?

no but there's jacob appelbaum's tlsdate (lol)

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
the x and d operators make your code funnier

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I am sure all those storage appliances that companies are dependent on will be issued prompt patches that will be installed by IT staff
don't forget multi-function printers

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ultramiraculous posted:

look at cis autodrag's posting history in the terrible programmers thread. it's so worth it.

e: maybe it's actually the pl thread, poo poo i forget

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shaggar posted:

I would like to see what someone like tavis would do to an EHR. they'd probably try to sue him into the dirt.

I'm getting hard just thinking about the idea of a lovely EHR company trying to sue Tavis and unexpectedly slamming into a wall of Google lawyers, then furiously trying to back pedal out of danger.

ratbert90 posted:

It's for our embedded product. We don't have an established security bug bounty program, but his worry is that other companies in our industry might go: "See, THEY have bugs, so don't buy them. :smug:"

(Our competitors also do not have security bug bounty programs either.)

"We find and fix our bugs, and provide patches for our customers. TurdCo just leaves you flapping in the breeze because they'll never admit they make a mistake. Do you want to have uncorrectable liabilities in your company starting the day you buy their product, leaving YOU vulnerable? Or do you want to go with someone that will keep an eye and an ear open, and make it right?"

Your sales people are garbage if they don't know how to frame this.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
heathrow is having major computer problem, wouldn't be surprised if it's related to the wannacry stuff

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/868404776790306817

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
those shades of red go well with the digital 9/11 graphic

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

look at cis autodrag's posting history it's so worth it.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

invlwhen posted:

MUMPS is a pos prerequisite

perhaps you have arrived prematurely

ur mama arrived prematurely, :regd12:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Volmarias posted:

I'm getting hard just thinking about the idea of a lovely EHR company trying to sue Tavis and unexpectedly slamming into a wall of Google lawyers, then furiously trying to back pedal out of danger.

they have the money and connections to take google on and i'd love to see it happen

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Volmarias posted:

I love the idea, but EHR has so much low hanging fruit that it's almost not worth someone like Tavis' time.

See this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKarNH_wp0g

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

I love the idea, but EHR has so much low hanging fruit that it's almost not worth someone like Tavis' time.

See this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKarNH_wp0g

wait is that query only returning a single row based on some os/ugly packard bell shitware app authentication that already happened or does that example only have one provider?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

After looking at posts like this I assume that the bar is on the ground, but given that this is highly sensitive information you could make the argument that it would serve the public good even if it's the security version of dunking in the special Olympics

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cocoa Crispies posted:

wait is that query only returning a single row based on some os/ugly packard bell shitware app authentication that already happened or does that example only have one provider?

look to your heart for the answers you are looking for

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Phone posted:

look to your heart for the answers you are looking for

speaking of...

tl;dr: there is effectively no device security on remotely programmable pacemakers and it's not especially difficult to acquire the vendor specific programmers. the software itself is swiss cheese and the platforms are often ancient and unsupported

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The example has only one provider, it's a dummy install the person making the video whipped up.

I can personally confirm it works as demonstrated though. Eaglesoft is a joke in a lot of ways (search "Beaglesoft" on DailyWTF and note the age of the article, then realize that problem also still affects at least as far as version 17), but the competition isn't much better unfortunately. Dental software is a sea of poo poo, and basically we get to pick which piece of corn to ride on.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

infernal machines posted:

speaking of...

tl;dr: there is effectively no device security on remotely programmable pacemakers and it's not especially difficult to acquire the vendor specific programmers. the software itself is swiss cheese and the platforms are often ancient and unsupported

Worth mentioning is that the programmers are the hardware equipment for pacemakers, not the people that developed the firmware. Though I imagine that they wouldn't be especially difficult to acquire either.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It is a bit of a hard problem, though. You want the pacemaker to be easy to program, without network downtime or a central point of failure making it impossible to reprogram the device of a patient, a patient that theoretically might come from the other side of the globe and with no previous contact with your hospital.

Maybe they could make some two-tier system, where skin contact programming requires no auth, but wireless programming requires some kind of authentication.

edit: Reading the article, it seems like programmers already do something like this - requires skin contact programming to read a device key which is then used for wireless programming. The whole article smells a bit of FUD - that 8000 vulnerabilities number makes me suspect they just enumerated third party components used, then summed up all CERT issues for those components, regardless of whether the device in question used a vulnerable version of the component or not.

Also, as long as the device isn't connected to a network, I don't see the issue with unencrypted patient data on a device. After all, it's not like physical paper with patient data has any form of encryption either.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 27, 2017

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
they should just go back to nuclear powered pacemakers

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I read the argument a while ago that if someone wants to kill you by reprogramming the pacemaker, and they have to get close enough to do it that they'd be able to stab you to death anyway, extra authentication and poo poo on the pacemaker isn't gonna save your life

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just read their paper and it's even more stupid there. Oh no, the devices didn't obfuscate the firmware! They didn't strip symbols out of the firmware! They used standard microcontroller CPUs!

They point out some real flaws (like hardcoded passwords when the home monitoring devices call home) but it's all buried under a ton of unneccessary fearmongering.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they don't require signed binaries either, so it's not impossible that a compromised binary could end up on a legitimate system and affect multiple patients

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Instant Grat posted:

I read the argument a while ago that if someone wants to kill you by reprogramming the pacemaker, and they have to get close enough to do it that they'd be able to stab you to death anyway, extra authentication and poo poo on the pacemaker isn't gonna save your life

isn't that just a question of transmitter power though, or is there a distance-bounding protocol somewhere?

also my favorite part of that eaglesoft video is the godawful ui that looks like a desk

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Instant Grat posted:

this is mega retarded. giga retarded even. think about what you just wrote and then throw your computer in the trash. what an idiotic thing to say, I'm not even attempting to refute this ridiculous assertion. what is it about security that makes people into the smartest idiots on earth

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i thing they just read that somewhere and are posting it as comedy here, rather than agreeing with it

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

hackbunny posted:

this is mega retarded. giga retarded even. think about what you just wrote and then throw your computer in the trash. what an idiotic thing to say, I'm not even attempting to refute this ridiculous assertion. what is it about security that makes people into the smartest idiots on earth

Dunning Krueger and makes it people the loving worst case in point the AV thread in grey forums

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Truga posted:

i thing they just read that somewhere and are posting it as comedy here, rather than agreeing with it

yeah i have spent like 0 microseconds considering the implications of pacemaker security and even i am not dumb enough to think "you can strangle someone to death so preventing randos from beaming kill signals to our customers is pointless"

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

So is Microsoft dropping EMET because they're rolling all the features in to the base OS at some point or because they have some idiotic dream that all apps in a year will come through the Windows store and enforce opt-in for all the security features that EMET enforces? Because there's still going to be decades of legacy applications that could benefit from it

There are a lot of features in EMET that aren't being rolled into Win10: https://insights.sei.cmu.edu/cert/2016/11/windows-10-cannot-protect-insecure-applications-like-emet-can.html

e: I guess they extended EOL into 2018 at least.

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

anthonypants posted:

don't forget multi-function printers

hahah oh god I forgot that "functionality"

• Locked thread