Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I have never seen or heard of a vertical nipple piercing.

You're one image search away from a whole new visual experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can't watch a successful old TV show for the first time now and get it unless you're watching it in the context "interesting to see what the original was everyone has been copying from ever since" and that's just not entertaining. No-one had really done cheesy garbage like that on big-time television until then and it was refreshing.

tl;dr: Twin Peaks was cool when you watched it one episode at a time way back when. I'm sorry you were born too late.

I'll be honest I watched the first episode up until that fat kid moonwalked away from his locker in the background and I was like "yeah I see where this is going I'm good"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'll be honest I watched the first episode up until that fat kid moonwalked away from his locker in the background and I was like "yeah I see where this is going I'm good"

I don't know if this means you watched it all or didn't watch after that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

That guy is awesome and is never seen or heard from again. I'm hoping he shows up in the new series at some point.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know if this means you watched it all or didn't watch after that.

Technically I watched until the third episode cause my roommate made me but that was the point I tuned out, although i did laugh at it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Modern comedy is terrible. Who is telling these people like Hasan Minhaj that talking seriously about racial and social justice issues is funny? I mean, the stuff he says is reasonable for the most part but it seems like he and "comedians" like him care more about letting people know they are "woke" than making jokes.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Google the word "clapter," dude, it's a thing and it's not going anywhere since the world is increasingly gamified and backpats for being right-on can be counted down to the fourth decimal

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dad jokes are great

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Modern comedy is terrible. Who is telling these people like Hasan Minhaj that talking seriously about racial and social justice issues is funny? I mean, the stuff he says is reasonable for the most part but it seems like he and "comedians" like him care more about letting people know they are "woke" than making jokes.

How does that represent all of modern comedy? That's one thing.

And Daily Show style comedy is probably doing itself and others a disservice by always falling back on "hey we are just comedy!" because the comedy is secondary and and they and everyone else know it.

oldpainless posted:

Dad jokes are great

Agreed. I thought they were the worst until my 30's and all of a sudden it clicked.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

How does that represent all of modern comedy? That's one thing.

And Daily Show style comedy is probably doing itself and others a disservice by always falling back on "hey we are just comedy!" because the comedy is secondary and and they and everyone else know it.

It's called an "example". It is an easily recognizable thing that represents a growing trend. If you watch any of the netflix comedy specials whether it's that guy or aziz ansari or whoever it definitely is trending toward that style.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Dad jokes are great

I can't stand any joke with an obvious story based setup. Any time anyone's like "here's a joke I heard" or similar I know I'm going to sit through their whole spiel and pretend to chuckle at the end. None of those jokes are funny they're just the humor equivalent of smalltalking about the weather

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's called an "example". It is an easily recognizable thing that represents a growing trend. If you watch any of the netflix comedy specials whether it's that guy or aziz ansari or whoever it definitely is trending toward that style.

I used to like aziz ansari until I watched two of his standup routines and realized he's indefensibly bad. Masters of None is pretty painful too

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

I can't stand any joke with an obvious story based setup. Any time anyone's like "here's a joke I heard" or similar I know I'm going to sit through their whole spiel and pretend to chuckle at the end. None of those jokes are funny they're just the humor equivalent of smalltalking about the weather

Some of them definitely go on too long but if the person tells them in an engaging way they can still be pretty fun as long as nobody knows the punchline. There's definitely a line though and I don't think anyone can pull off an obnoxiously long one like "better nate than lever" verbally.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I can't stand any joke with an obvious story based setup.
The ideal venue for those shaggy dog jokes is IRC (or a MUD or something similar) where it's just people half paying attention to the chat while doing other things. Anywhere else they're obnoxious.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I used to like aziz ansari until I watched two of his standup routines and realized he's indefensibly bad. Masters of None is pretty painful too
I mostly liked Master of None, but I couldn't tell whether the protagonist was obnoxious on purpose and we're not supposed to like him or if the writers just didn't realise that he was kind of an arsehole.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Master of None is great, but this thread not liking it is the least surprising news I've heard all day.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Master of None is great, but this thread not liking it is the least surprising news I've heard all day.

Well, it shouldn't be considering the whole premise of the thread is "I don't like popular thing".

I've never seen the show but I haven't like Aziz in anything else he's been in (parks & rec is good despite him, not because of him) so I would be surprised if I did. Especially since from what I've heard it tries to be address serious topics which goes back to my original complaint of things I don't like in modern comedy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why shouldn't comedy be able to address serious topics?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Why shouldn't comedy be able to address serious topics?

It's not that it shouldn't be able to, it's that I don't find it funny, which is generally what I'm looking for when I watch something labeled "comedy". There's also a way to do it while still being funny, but the examples I mentioned don't and instead go for the "let me get serious for a minute" style. Don't get serious, if you want to make a serious point do it in a funny way or not at all, you're a comedian.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Those shows are comedy because they throw jokes in between everything. I agree they have become much less funny and more serious over the years but they don't fit in with regular news. The Daily show was actually pretty drat funny a decade ago.

Master of None doesn't even fit in with that. It's not set out just to tackle serious subjects. It's more of a dramedy (for lack of a better term) where the characters are funny, but it's a slice of life thing about coming into adulthood. it's also funny and good.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Brooklyn Nine Nine is weird like that. Great, diverse range of characters which address a lot of topics in a fantastic way, but when it becomes the central story of a Very Special Episode it feels really out of place and half-baked.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Aziz Ansari owns.

Being politically Pro Life makes you a p bad person.

If you still support Trump and you arent a wealthy person or directly benefitting from him, youre either an idiot or a shitheel.

Buying cheap toilet paper on purpose makes you a p bad person.

Mass Effect Andromeda is actually pretty good.

Someones profession or hobby before politics is irrelevent in and of itself, but their behavior while doing so and while in office/up for election is VERY relevent.

Journalists should have additional protection under the law from assault, libel, slander, and all other crime if its done while they are doing journalism, ESPECIALLY from the government. There is only one profession listed in thr Constitution alongside the 3 branches of government and if government takes a step to marginalize the press, it should come with heavy penalties, up to and including interfering with democracy/sedition against the state.

Declarations of Faith in political discourse should be grounds for censorship or at least a mandatory laughing period.

The Rock is a great performer and actor but has yet to put in the caliber of work to be mentioned alongside Stallone, Willis, Schwarzenegger, etc. He could do it, but needs more non Baywatch like poo poo.

Not having your voicemail set up is indicative of Riff Raff status.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wow, that is certainly a Jastiger bad opinion bomb.

The only one I am going to single out is the Rock one. He singlehandedly resurrected the fast & furious franchise and for that alone he deserves a ton of credit. His more serious/sentimental movies like San Andreas, Snitch, The Game Plan, Race to Witch Mountain, even Tooth Fairy are also at the very least above average.

He might not have the same type of appeal as Schwarzenegger et al. but he's definitely going to be remembered as one of the top modern (mostly) action stars. It's just fun watching him kick the poo poo out of the bad guys without resorting to shaky cam matrix fighting like Jason Statham etc.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fast and furious sucks after the first one

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Fast and furious sucks after the first one

2-4 suck I'll give you that but 5-8 are all more or less great, especially 5 :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The rock is a pretty charismatic and likable dude but I find Americas obsession with him pretty baffling and most of his movies are really stupid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

You're really stupid!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry Rock.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
He was great in southland tales. Dude has range he just does a lot of middle of the road bullshit.

All of the fast and furious movies are garbage though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

All of the fast and furious movies are garbage though.

The only movie series I enjoy more is Crank (and I hope they keep making more of those) and I will defend them to the death.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like the first fast and furious where it's set on earth and the characters are human and the cars and real. When everyone becomes a superhero super-spy driving CG cars with physics defying powers I lost interest. This is why Mad Max is super good because pretty much everything was a real vehicle doing real stunts.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I said rock
What's the matter with you rock?
Don't you see I need you, rock?
Good Lord, Lord
All on that day

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I like the first fast and furious where it's set on earth and the characters are human and the cars and real. When everyone becomes a superhero super-spy driving CG cars with physics defying powers I lost interest. This is why Mad Max is super good because pretty much everything was a real vehicle doing real stunts.

Plus ultra flamboyant apocalypse is a much cooler setting than meatheads who are stuck 1999 driving tacky cars and cracking an endless stream of lame one liners.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Plus ultra flamboyant apocalypse is a much cooler setting than meatheads who are stuck 1999 driving tacky cars and cracking an endless stream of lame one liners.

Anyone who can't get enjoyment from watching a giant safe crush a ton of police cars and destroy a large part of a city while being dragged by two cars or cars parachuting out of an airplane is no friend of mine.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Fast and furious was literally always awful and the fact that there are now 8 movies and people are excited for them is the most baffling poo poo I can think of in recent memory.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIY5b1JMvGs

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Fast and furious was literally always awful and the fact that there are now 8 movies and people are excited for them is the most baffling poo poo I can think of in recent memory.

Same but Star Wars

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You can thank incredibly aggressive marketing for that one.

I like Star Wars and even I think it's absolutely obnoxious how much it's permeated out culture.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

Fast Five and onward are really fun and I don't even like action movies. The movies are all super self aware about being cheesy excuses for explosions and characters driving personalized vehicles and having different skills and people suddenly coming back from the dead in surprise reveals and stuff. They're basically 80s cartoons or if Michael Bay knew how to have fun

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The_Rob posted:

Nobody cares about the first four except some weird people that love the Tokyo one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think Frank Lloyd Wright is overrated. There were countless other architects at the same making much more interesting buildings. He made some pretty nice houses, but his use of space/site was suburban as gently caress and his ideas on urban planning were wrong as hell. A lot of his work was poo poo, sure it looked neat but they were disasters as buildings. Architecture is functional, buildings are machines and if they mechanics don't work it doesn't matter how pretty the machine is. Obviously though there's the need to experiment and the need to fail, but a lot of Frank's highest regarded work (like falling water) are absolute failures as buildings. Sometimes architects get so far up their own asses with the art side of their job that they totally forget about everything else. Become a sculptor if you just want to make cool shapes and forms, architecture is as much a technical art as it as an antithetical one.