Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

When I saw that holding Dash/Jump would cause him to shrink/expand, everything suddenly clicked. But Min Min is still the best.

ARMS...is good. I can only imagine what a treat local multi is.

Minmin by far is my personal fave, and 2P online was a blast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
ARMS IS GOOD

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
I couldn't get my head around the motion controls but the Pro Controller felt great. I settled into using Master Mummy with dual Retorchers, so I could soak hits as I close distance and gatling punch them to death.

Does anyone know what holding dodge until you start glowing does? Is it just a charged punch like with guarding?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I'm kinda meh on ARMS. It's actually better than I thought from the previews, but it's not my bag.

I like that Nintendo is willing to try new things.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Depressing Box posted:

Does anyone know what holding dodge until you start glowing does? Is it just a charged punch like with guarding?

Yeah, charged punch. You can hold dodge or jump to activate it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Golashes posted:

I bought Disgaea 5 because I'm a disgusting human. I'm guessing I should not use all the bonus content (at least at the start) because the characters are overpowered as gently caress?

If you aren't breaking the game at all times you aren't playing Disgaea properly. :colbert:

Besides, if you do the postgame there will be plenty of time for you to suffer.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The Snapchat yellow branding is sick

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Here's a pro tip: always punch Mechanica first in a three person fight, or she will crush your skull with a hammer

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I don't know how to feel about ARMS. I totally see the potential and I love the idea of the motion controls, but I lost every single game because my opponent just crushed me and I think it's because the motion controls just didn't work. I almost won one fight and I knew I just needed a grab but putting my controllers forward just made me fly bad punches.

I'm hoping I can try a test fire with the pro controller and see if I do better otherwise I'm cancelling my pre-order. No use in buying a game where I'll get curb stomped 24/7.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Had a lot of fun punching people with my mummy arms! Now that it's over I see that, yes, there is a way to change targets. Thank God! Would have helped a lot while playing.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

The Black Stones posted:

I don't know how to feel about ARMS. I totally see the potential and I love the idea of the motion controls, but I lost every single game because my opponent just crushed me and I think it's because the motion controls just didn't work. I almost won one fight and I knew I just needed a grab but putting my controllers forward just made me fly bad punches.

I'm hoping I can try a test fire with the pro controller and see if I do better otherwise I'm cancelling my pre-order. No use in buying a game where I'll get curb stomped 24/7.

Consider that in fighting games, a big part of the appeal is "getting better through practice". Where's the gratification in just buying the game and being so good that you win off the bat?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got like 7 perfects in a row with Mechanica lmao

Pros: Game is really fun and matches are so fast it didn't really matter if I lost while testing the cast, had fun

Cons: I felt like I saw everything the game has to offer in just 30 minutes. Played the full hour but a lot of it by the end felt kinda samey.

Personal opinions on the cast

Spring Man: Mediocre, only played a few rounds with him. Didn't really have that many fun gimmicks going for him so got bored
Ribbon Girl: Nobody loving knows how to deal with her jump spam. So many whiffed grabs vs me because I just bounced around like a tart.
Master Mummy: loving hilarious in 1v1v1. Get the other jerks to fight and just heal cheese while they die. Feels kinda useless outside that one specific cheese strat.
Min-Min: I don't know I shot a dragon beam a couple times and won my rounds. Felt unimpressive and kinda just there.
Mechanica: Her hover and dodge boosts are insane. People just cannot handle the hammer and her movement a lot of the time. Bonus points for having super armor.
Ninjara: He quick. I like his dodge skills but a lot of the time I felt like I was getting grabbed anyway or punched so eh.
Helix: He has a steep rear end curve to him I tell you what. I have no idea what to do with this guy and he sucks rear end at v-ball so stopped using him pretty fast.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I played in handheld mode and I won quite a bit

Maybe I will try motion during the next play period

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

pissdude posted:

Consider that in fighting games, a big part of the appeal is "getting better through practice". Where's the gratification in just buying the game and being so good that you win off the bat?

After the last hour I can say it's extremely satisfying

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

pissdude posted:

Where's the gratification in just buying the game and being so good that you win off the bat?

you've never been a bully, have you

beating little kids online with no chance of reprisal is fun

its why I buy Call of Duty

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Wendell posted:

Had a lot of fun punching people with my mummy arms! Now that it's over I see that, yes, there is a way to change targets. Thank God! Would have helped a lot while playing.

You gotta check the help section, I had no idea how Helix moved before and that's probably why I got owned repeatedly as the goo man.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Protip: In V-Ball if you grab the ball you add a spin to it for a second- next hit be it yours or the enemy will super spike it into the dirt on the enemies side. It's easy to do and I went undefeated because no one else was doing it and they were just cat-pawing it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Helix is good because people forget that your arm is slowly blobbing its way into their ankles and let their guard down, only to feel that sweet shin music.

But I liked Mummy Master best, he is slow and strong.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

I mean, yeah, i get the appeal of "being good" day 1 or whatever. More specifically I was asking that guy why he's interested in a fighting game where he has no desire to improve and heighten his skills and climb to the top

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

pissdude posted:

I mean, yeah, i get the appeal of "being good" day 1 or whatever. More specifically I was asking that guy why he's interested in a fighting game where he has no desire to improve and heighten his skills and climb to the top

It's called "the casual fan", where normal people reside.

Personal example:
I like Street Fighter, and I like being the best among my friends and family, but I have zero interest in putting in the time and effort to actually be good at a competitive level (only VF4 Evo and VF5, my true loves...:allears: ). That's not why I play it.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 27, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yeah but presuming you're gonna lose every match isdifferent from being competitively good

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

i guess i just can't wrap my head around the concept of being interested in an inherently competitive game at all if you're not at least willing to play and accept that you will be curbstomped by people at times and also win at times. it's just weird to even think about buying a fighting game and then playing it and going "gee i dont wanna lose so im gonna cancel my preorder"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The full game will also have matchmaking so even if you're not good it will put you against people of the same skill level

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I only played a bit but I didn't like what I played. I'll try again tomorrow to try out with the pro controller, but I didn't like it very much.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

I mean it's a fighting game you've played about an hour of, you'll get better at it.

Personally I found the motion controls worked well and I won most of my games but I can see some people would prefer the conventional controls

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I got like 7 perfects in a row with Mechanica lmao

Pros: Game is really fun and matches are so fast it didn't really matter if I lost while testing the cast, had fun

Cons: I felt like I saw everything the game has to offer in just 30 minutes. Played the full hour but a lot of it by the end felt kinda samey.

It's a fighting game, this is normal (until people tart playing heavily and a meta develops).

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's easy to think you've seen all the depth the game has when everyone is hot garbage

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

HyperPuma posted:

arms is awful

Couldn't play the testfire but this is all I need to hear to know I want to buy it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It's easy to think you've seen all the depth the game has when everyone is hot garbage

Also dumb to declare something cheap after everyone only getting an hour in. Remember Little Mac when Smash 4 first came out.:lol:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What game shows off HD rumble that's not 12 Switch?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

Also dumb to declare something cheap after everyone only getting an hour in. Remember Little Mac when Smash 4 first came out.:lol:

:lmbo:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Inzombiac posted:

Thumper. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe uses it pretty effectively too but it's much more subtle.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

There's Blaster Master 0 which is very much not subtle.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Blaster master will rumble your switch to pieces

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Quick question for Japan goons. Do the physical carts support multi language? I know you can change the language setting on the switch to English. What about Portuguese?

I'm in Japan and gonna be flying back to Brazil soon. Being able to play Mario Kart, BotW and such with my non-multilingual family/ friends would be fabulous. I wouldn't buy one in Brazil because they will never be lower than $600 USD there.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Inzombiac posted:

People ITT were saying that Tumbleseed makes interesting use of it: you can feel the seed roll across the bar, and you can actually feel the features of the seed. You could tell if the heart-shaped seed was on its point or not, for example.

Fast RMX will make your joycon jitter but it's only really dramatic in a few places on certain tracks.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I only got about 20 minutes with Arms. Some thoughts:

- holy poo poo I love all the characters
- I have no idea what I'm doing but fights are fun
- volleyball sucks

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Test punch was the first time I've tried the wrist strap things since day1.

Does it always feel like you're going to break something when removing them? I'm also not clear on how the lock works, or why its exists at all

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i only got to play one 1v1 fight out of seven matches. arms seems ok but this demo is hot garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

eddiewalker posted:

Test punch was the first time I've tried the wrist strap things since day1.

Does it always feel like you're going to break something when removing them? I'm also not clear on how the lock works, or why its exists at all

i think nintendo purposefully made them hard as heck to remove since they are supposed to be the anchors that keep a joycon from being flung into your tv

• Locked thread