Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Zore posted:

I mean, there were a bunch of connections from Awakening to every game in the series to that point. Except maybe Sacred Stones? I can't remember.

There weren't any direct connections to Sacred Stones but the way the Fire Emblem was treated and how the stones needed to be gathered in order to seal an ancient demonic enemy was pretty clearly a reference (on top of the more direct reference to FE1/3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Honestly Alm is probably my least useful (most average) unit and his only saving grace is he can crit well and often.

Newbies: I know it seems like Forsythe sucks right now but stick it out; he eventually destroys everything owing to his giant sack of HP and somewhat okay resistance.

I stupidly followed this thread's advice and made Atlas a mage and now I have SO MANY MAGES, TOO MANY drat MAGES UGGGHHHH

Edit: some of these tracks remind me of the music from Nier and how I wish I was playing Nier again ~

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 26, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Big Whoop posted:

Honestly Alm is probably my least useful (most average) unit and his only saving grace is he can crit well and often.

Newbies: I know it seems like Forsythe sucks right now but stick it out; he eventually destroys everything owing to his giant sack of HP and somewhat okay resistance.

I stupidly followed this thread's advice and made Atlas a mage and now I have SO MANY MAGES, TOO MANY drat MAGES UGGGHHHH

Edit: some of these tracks remind me of the music from Nier and how I wish I was playing Nier again ~

Once you get Alm's unique weapon, make sure to use him enough to unlock its second art. It makes him incredibly powerful even with mediocre stats.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The best class five Atlus is archer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Big Whoop posted:

my alm ended the game with 24 defense this run

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Once you get Alm's unique weapon, make sure to use him enough to unlock its second art. It makes him incredibly powerful even with mediocre stats.

The royal sword?

I think I may be *a little* overleveled, I took out 5 necrodragons with within 4 turns

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 27, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Big Whoop posted:

The royal sword?

yes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Big Whoop posted:

The royal sword?

I think I may be *a little* overleveled, I took out 5 necrodragons with within 4 turns

Necrodragons are super weak so not really.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah poo poo I just stick the ones that make sense with 'em. Celica has her signature weapon (I assume) as well.
I didn't bother changing Saber's golden dagger because even though he's my bff now or whatever it's his, drat it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Big Whoop posted:

Yeah poo poo I just stick the ones that make sense with 'em. Celica has her signature weapon (I assume) as well.
I didn't bother changing Saber's golden dagger because even though he's my bff now or whatever it's his, drat it.

Celica doesn't really have a signature weapon the same way Alm does. She does have an exclusive weapon but it's not just handed to you the same way the royal sword is, and there's plenty of argument for giving her a mage ring instead over it anyways

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Crit quotes are unfortunately pretty unremarkable this time around but my favorite has got to be Saber's "Get a load of THIS!!"

Really any Saber quote is great, what a kickass voice.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finished the game and Python turned out to be my best unit, which was probably because archers and mages really loved targeting him for some reason and the killer bow is sick.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my review of this game is that my friend called python's haircut 'the most lesbian haircut' and then got her hair cut like it. 8/10.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I was wondering what to do with Alm in Thabes cause even with his great stats and sword most of the enemies in the lower levels have a non-zero crit rate on him and you can't turnwheel his death, but eventually I found out Alm's true calling: Give him a Killer Bow, master that skill, and keep Celica near him constantly. There is nothing down there that can survive dual hits from Hunter Volley at an 80% crit with Alm's attack stat. Him and Bow Knight Gray pretty much cleared out the entire dungeon by themselves.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
your friend has the hair of a bad unit

it's pretty good hair though

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Endorph posted:

my review of this game is that my friend called python's haircut 'the most lesbian haircut' and then got her hair cut like it. 8/10.

It looks identical to Lukas'.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

gotta go fast

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

It looks identical to Lukas'.

you know nothing about hair

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

your friend owns

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I did however just name an iron bow 'PYTHON SUX' so I'm a little conflicted

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

There's no "literally unusable" characters like Revlation Odin or whatever, but Python, Luthier and Clive seem to be pretty bottom of the barrel.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

My Clive's a loving monster and is running around with a blessed lance being more unkillable than either of my Barons, and the last few maps have basically been Clive and Mathilda power hour. Luthier and Python are pretty useless though, yeah.

Although I guess my game is borked or something because Alm's party is ten times better than anybody in Celica's except the lady herself and two of the three peg knights, and apparently that's wrong or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

There's no "literally unusable" characters like Revlation Odin or whatever, but Python, Luthier and Clive seem to be pretty bottom of the barrel.
Clive, Luthier, and Python are all fine. Luthier and Clive are kinda mediocre stat-wise and Python needs to be fed some kills, but they all have moments of usefulness or ways in which they can help.

The real bottom of the barrel are Forsythe (low move, needs to be fed kills, offers nothing over Lukas), Mycen (comes too late, might not even get deployed due to how the final dungeon works,) Atlas (pretty much impossible to use without specifically grinding for him), Jesse (always a tier behind Kamui and Saber and offers nothing over them,) and Nomah (just a worse version of Boey without any early game availability). I'd say Delthea too for the same reasons as Atlas but I know I'd get run out of the thread.

Of course, this is a game that basically encourages grinding, so unless you're specifically going for a low turncount run it doesn't exactly matter.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In fire emblem there is also always the chance that the bad characters will get really good level-ups while the supposed good characters won't so experiences vary

Andrast fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 27, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I find that the usual reason Ninos are bad is because of the opportunity cost of deploying them and because you have to go out of your way to set up kills

In a game where you deploy everyone and nobody ORKOs Est and Delthea are fine, even good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Delthea still has her uses, like auraing guys, but in a ltc run (which is the only point where a tier list even matters) she's insanely unlikely to even get seraphim, much less promote or get ragnarok. Especially since mages have low move and Alm's maps are filled with archers and his dungeosn are filled with gargoyles. Actually, you definitely aren't bringing her into dungeons.

Est is fine, though. She flies and Celica's route is Celica's route.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nomah was definitely the worst unit for me, boring too. But even he can heal.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

Delthea still has her uses, like auraing guys, but in a ltc run (which is the only point where a tier list even matters) she's insanely unlikely to even get seraphim, much less promote or get ragnarok. Especially since mages have low move and Alm's maps are filled with archers and his dungeosn are filled with gargoyles. Actually, you definitely aren't bringing her into dungeons.

I mean the conversation was about general usefulness, not LTC or tier lists but okay

e: I guess I can grant she isn't good in dungeons before she gets going and won't get going without being brought to dungeons, but since dungeons are easy enough even with bad characters I always brought my crappiest folks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also arrow is a really good spell and he gives Boey and Mae +5 hit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean the conversation was about general usefulness, not LTC or tier lists but okay
i mean, i acknowledged that by saying everyone is useful in a normal run because it's a game that encourages and occasionally softly forces you to grind, so there's no real point debating usefulness in that scenario. just trying to have a conversation about game balance here.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Atlas's slow start is seriously overblown, I'm doing a Blitzkrieg run and he's honestly performing well. Merc's 10 Spd allows him to double most stuff in Act 3 and his high Atk lets him score KOs easily. If Celica has a worst unit it's Valbar.

Python starts rough but he's an archer so he'll always find a use, and Luthier gets Excalibur and Thunder right off the bat so he's serviceable. Forsyth is irredeemable though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

also arrow is a really good spell and he gives Boey and Mae +5 hit

I never noticed because he was never close enough to the front lines for them to get buffs.

His biggest crime is that he's just the most forgettable person though. Seriously his recruitment has got to be the most awkward in all the series.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I never noticed because he was never close enough to the front lines for them to get buffs.

His biggest crime is that he's just the most forgettable person though. Seriously his recruitment has got to be the most awkward in all the series.

someone's never played thracia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Did you go back and promote Atlas at the sea shrine?

And Valbar has move issues, doubling issues, and, uh, the fact that magic exist issues, but his walling at Grieth's fortress/during the fight with Deen if you pick Sonya is enough to make him better than Nomah.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

it was slightly less awkward in gaiden og. on the other hand arrow was 1-2 range in gaiden og and more inaccurate so it was pretty useless and his best spell being useless made nomah hands down the worst unit in the game.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I did, yeah. Of course that causes map encounters to spawn but that's ~3 turns lost so no big deal. And I feel like Atlas' ORKOing potential in the future could make up for it.

At Merc Level 1 he already ORKOs the witches in Sonya's map with a Blessed Sword, and at Grieth he could one-two the Myrmidons there with some other unit like Boey, so it wasn't actually that hard to get him to Myrmidon at Dragon Shrine. So in a regular run he should still do well and pick up the pace quickly enough. Of course Saber and Kamui outclass him, but Saber and Kamui outclass everyone in Celica's route and having another Brave Sword user could be useful.

I haven't done Deen's map so fair enough. But Grieth's fort was doable with Saber and Kamui leading the charge + Genny's Physic backup. Valbar didn't even manage to get to the plain squares before the map ended.oops wrong map

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 27, 2017

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Endorph posted:

Mycen works fine. I took him into the endgame dungeon and he held his own. As a final resort if you did everything wrong, he is good.

I just simply went with Luthier for my endgame mage. Probably helped that his crit chance was pretty high.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

someone's never played thracia

I have not, but give them a few years and hopefully there'll be a Thracia Echoes.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Echoes has a fairly straightforward tier list, imo:

enemy units with upheaval

[unassailable gap here]

every female spellcaster (mae and celica typically being the strongest but really it's whoever has the mage [and speed] rings)
alm
mathilda
saber
catria
palla
non-saber mercenaries
clair
every male mage
archers
lukas
est
clive
The Rest

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

Clive, Luthier, and Python are all fine. Luthier and Clive are kinda mediocre stat-wise and Python needs to be fed some kills, but they all have moments of usefulness or ways in which they can help.

The real bottom of the barrel are Forsythe (low move, needs to be fed kills, offers nothing over Lukas), Mycen (comes too late, might not even get deployed due to how the final dungeon works,) Atlas (pretty much impossible to use without specifically grinding for him), Jesse (always a tier behind Kamui and Saber and offers nothing over them,) and Nomah (just a worse version of Boey without any early game availability). I'd say Delthea too for the same reasons as Atlas but I know I'd get run out of the thread.

Of course, this is a game that basically encourages grinding, so unless you're specifically going for a low turncount run it doesn't exactly matter.

I didn't grind poo poo, I just handed my Forsyth the Ridersbane and left him in the way to my squishies, and he completely shits all over my Lukas. Turns out that in a game where promotion ups your stats to the baseline anyway, a character with off-growths for the class (in this case, speed) is pretty great. :colbert: Lukas didn't start catching up until he got my first Fork.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Luthier comes with excaliber. Unless you have a kickass kliff/tobin, he will be a very good mage for you. And delthea starts with pretty good bases, more speed than half the cast outside of the merc line.

• Locked thread