Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Yaya posted:

The Canucks are Canada's team because they're an embarrassment and are never winning a cup ever

The Canucks are Canada's most successful team since 1994 if you define success as Stanley Cup Finals reached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zeeman posted:

The Canucks are Canada's most successful team since 1994 if you define success as Stanley Cup Finals reached.

I do not.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
...president's trophies won?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The Senators are Canada's most successful team since 2017 if you define success as getting the farthest in the playoffs.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The Oilers are Canada's most successful team since 2010 if you define success as winning the draft lottery.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Since the Canucks joined the NHL, The Canadiens have won 8 Stanley Cups and the Canucks have won *just checking the numbers* 0
Since the Oilers and Flames joined the NHL, The Canadiens have won 2 Stanley Cups, the Oilers have won 5, the Flames have won 1

Therefore, The Oilers are the best Canadian team, The Canadiens second, Flames third, and Sens/Canucks/Leafs/Jets can fight over the participant ribbon.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Some slight jersey news, while the Oilers are going to navy blue, the Sabres are going from navy to Royal blue, as well as losing all silver, and the extraneous piping.

Basically they're going full throwback. Not a bad choice. I'm praying the Avs do the same.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

LumpyGumby posted:

Some slight jersey news, while the Oilers are going to navy blue, the Sabres are going from navy to Royal blue, as well as losing all silver, and the extraneous piping.

Basically they're going full throwback. Not a bad choice. I'm praying the Avs do the same.

That's awesome and long overdue.

Avs and Flames gotta ditch that Reebok poo poo

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
https://twitter.com/CallumFraser18/status/868104245131739136

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

LumpyGumby posted:

Where are you seeing this and also that's cool

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Duke Chin posted:

Where are you seeing this and also that's cool

This appears to be the source:
https://twitter.com/bziolkowski49/status/868153697502728192
https://twitter.com/bziolkowski49/status/868154055419408384

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The Flames should go full time with their retros. And ditch the loving flags on the shoulders.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Kilza posted:

This. This isn't like the MLB or NBA where there's only 1 Canadian team, therefore they're defaulted to as "Canada's Team". You can't define one of the seven Canadian teams in the NHL as "Canada's Team". That's not how it works.

canada's team is the seattle mariners

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

the sources are two random radio dudes from the buffalo area. but with that said, this wouldn't be the first time this offseason a buffalo radio personality broke some sort of of team news

one way or another, i hope they're right. the sabres' current jerseys are pretty good overall, but the gray piping and armpits are totally unnecessary, and the shade of blue they've been using is so dark that it looks black most of the time on TV. those two relatively small changes would go a long way

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

the talent deficit posted:

canada's team is the seattle mariners

Whenever Toronto plays here safeco field fills up EASILY 3/4ths as Blue Jays folk. It's practically an Other-Home game for them.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It's appalling how long they stuck with those designs even as one by one, teams rolled back or eliminated all the dumb poo poo Reebok invented to go with the Edge jerseys.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

They're probably the last holdouts for truly lovely jerseys in the league which is a shame because they both have franchise history for great jerseys.
The Avs could even just go with that "C" logo they've using for their alts and have that be a step up and the Flames will never do better than the orange ones.

Also the Caps need to go back to the classics. That weird maroon poo poo they're rocking right now is sad. And Columbus to a degree though I would say they don't really have a good jersey to draw from.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's appalling how long they stuck with those designs even as one by one, teams rolled back or eliminated all the dumb poo poo Reebok invented to go with the Edge jerseys.

It was pretty much us, Calgary, and Ottawa that haven't updated and it's infuriating, especially when you see what they did to teams most affected by the first wave of RBK changes, ie the Stars went from DALLAS to a sweet beautiful green, Nashville went from boring white and silver to gold, and how so many teams went retro.

I'd kill for a new Nordiques uni, or to bring back the mountain stripes.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know
The Senators aren't Canada's team. Judging by the empty seats they aren't even Ottawa's team. :rimshot:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Homeroom Fingering posted:

The Senators aren't Canada's team. Judging by the empty seats they aren't even Ottawa's team. :rimshot:

I don't give a poo poo about hockey but I know when the Senators make the playoffs, there are jerseys and flags everywhere. Last week I was sitting in the emergency room with my wife in a patient overflow room with a TV and people kept coming in to check the game, and shout updates to people in the waiting room. The Senators just have some obstacles particular to Ottawa hockey getting maximum attendance.

http://ottawacitizen.com/business/local-business/bagnall-the-senators-grapple-with-multi-faceted-marketing-challenge

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Duke Chin posted:

Whenever Toronto plays here safeco field fills up EASILY 3/4ths as Blue Jays folk. It's practically an Other-Home game for them.

They'll jump off the bandwagon quickly, though. The amount of blue jays hats have already drastically dwindled this year.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

They'll jump off the bandwagon quickly, though. The amount of blue jays hats have already drastically dwindled this year.

That might have something to do with Canadian teams actually making the NHL playoffs this year. :ssh:

I suspect that hats will now start to change over as hockey wraps up.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RIP Ottawa, the worst garbage team to come within a goal of the Stanley Cup Finals since the last time something similar happened which probably wasn't that long ago:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

That might have something to do with Canadian teams actually making the NHL playoffs this year. :ssh:

I suspect that hats will now start to change over as hockey wraps up.

Nah, it only started when the Blue Jays started making the playoffs. Used to be when you saw a Blue Jays cap, the person underneath it would actually be from Ontario.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

eXXon posted:

RIP Ottawa, the worst garbage team to come within a goal of the Stanley Cup Finals since the last time something similar happened which probably wasn't that long ago:

I'm EK going loving ham. :stare:

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I, too, know what it's like to support a team propped up by a single Herculean player.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Ceci played 448 minutes of hockey and had 1 point.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Ceci played 448 minutes of hockey and had 1 point.

:eng101: One point for.

Fun fact: The Sens' playoff run this year had two fewer minutes of hockey than the year they went to the SCF.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mirtle has a piece up further elaborating on the Dubas thing, but it's behind a paywall. TL;DR is that Lou needs to get the gently caress off this team as soon as possible as the FO has basically marginalized the analytics team under him, he has no interest in mentoring anyone or hearing competing voices because he's Lou, and Mirtle suspects its Shanahan that ultimately pulled Dubas back to the org. One more year of this walking anachronism, I hope he doesn't gently caress it up.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
https://twitter.com/sungarrioch/status/868516373378605058

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Oh poo poo he's self aware

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think the 5 years remaining on his deal would scare off vegas but 7MM for 2 or 3 years would be fine if that gave them enough salary to take another matt murray or whatever cheap RFA.

Looking at the capfriendly quick protect thing maybe dzingel is exposed and i'd take him

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Mirtle has a piece up further elaborating on the Dubas thing, but it's behind a paywall. TL;DR is that Lou needs to get the gently caress off this team as soon as possible as the FO has basically marginalized the analytics team under him, he has no interest in mentoring anyone or hearing competing voices because he's Lou, and Mirtle suspects its Shanahan that ultimately pulled Dubas back to the org. One more year of this walking anachronism, I hope he doesn't gently caress it up.

Good news is that it looks likes Kyle is still Shanny's boy, and really that's all that matters. I'm guessing Dubas got pretty far along with the Avs and gave Shanahan a chance to talk him out of it. I hope Shanahan is a good enough boss that if he lost faith that Dubas could do the job, either in skill or ability to handle to organization, he'd have let him go since why keep a disgruntled guy that will bolt ASAP unless you have big plans for him.

Does set up an interesting dynamic between Shanny and Lou though as it tells Lou he's #2 in Shanny's mind. If what Mirtle says is true, it's a pretty clear "don't gently caress with my boy" message and I don't think he'd pick that fight with the old man unless he meant it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'd give Jultz a big offer sheet if I were Vegas. They have tons of cap space and he's an excellent puck moving defenseman/PP QB.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

Good news is that it looks likes Kyle is still Shanny's boy, and really that's all that matters. I'm guessing Dubas got pretty far along with the Avs and gave Shanahan a chance to talk him out of it. I hope Shanahan is a good enough boss that if he lost faith that Dubas could do the job, either in skill or ability to handle to organization, he'd have let him go since why keep a disgruntled guy that will bolt ASAP unless you have big plans for him.

Does set up an interesting dynamic between Shanny and Lou though as it tells Lou he's #2 in Shanny's mind. If what Mirtle says is true, it's a pretty clear "don't gently caress with my boy" message and I don't think he'd pick that fight with the old man unless he meant it.

Lou's got one year on his deal and is 75, the writing's on the wall for him no matter what. The general fan perception when he was hired was that he'd be a figurehead while Hunter/Dubas worked their way into more responsibility, but we all should have guessed that it's Lou loving Lamoriello and he was always going to do poo poo his way even if he was getting lame ducked.

Shanahan's tenure has been pretty interesting in that he's really motivated to acquire/deal with lots of different hockey minds but he doesn't really seem to be able to distinguish the good from the bad. Guy went from thinking that Dave Nonis and Randy Carlyle were somehow worth another shot after years of incompetence, then hiring Dubas and every analytics guy under the sun, to handing the keys to a stubborn geriatric that never figured out post-lockout drafting and team building. At some point he's going to have to commit to a vision instead of just hiring everyone that has a reputation or impresses him in interviews.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'd give Jultz a big offer sheet if I were Vegas. They have tons of cap space and he's an excellent puck moving defenseman/PP QB.

The team with literally one prospect should not be offer sheeting anyone

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they can just pick him in the expansion draft, although i assume offer sheet means that pens fans are resigned to lose matt murray too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

The team with literally one prospect should not be offer sheeting anyone

They have 2 now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Aphrodite posted:

They have 2 now!