Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Trump is a rich white guy who for years has had to rely on foreign investment for his business dealings. The IC won't give that the same amount of scrutiny as a major civil rights figure but they'd absolutely be keeping tabs on it, and when he announced his candidacy he'd be a very high priority for them to dig in to. If they don't have thousands of pages of info on Trump (and thousands more on the rest of his hosed up family) I'd be truly amazed. They have hundreds of pages even on small time cult leaders most people have never heard of. They're going to have tons on actual people who matter because it's their job to do so.

The question isn't about what intelligence they have, it's about whether they'll act on it, and if they do, to what extent. I highly doubt the FBI or CIA will treat Trump the same way they treated MLK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Hollismason posted:

So what are the odds Puerto Rico becomes a state? Cause I am reading that there is a really big push for that right now.

A Puerto Rican state would mean that the Senate becomes 51-51 split, so zero until at least 2018.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what exactly is Kislyak's role in government and why has everyone in the gop had what appears to be disturbingly regular contact with him

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

mcmagic posted:

This isn't high treason, it's stupid treason.

im high as gently caress on this treason bro

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Farchanter posted:

A Puerto Rican state would mean that the Senate becomes 51-51 split, so zero until at least 2018.

It would kind of be hilarious if that happened.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

So what exactly is Kislyak's role in government and why has everyone in the gop had what appears to be disturbingly regular contact with him

Ambassador to the US, and as a consequence of the cold war much like our Ambassador to Russia that title at least partially translates to spymaster

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 27, 2017

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Do David Frum and Robert Costa just live at MSNBC studios at this point

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hollismason posted:

So what are the odds Puerto Rico becomes a state? Cause I am reading that there is a really big push for that right now.

It's still pretty contentious, and the upcoming referendum is seen by a lot of people as a smokescreen to distract from the government cutting services and cancelling an independent audit of the territory's finances (Which would have likely uncovered a fair amount of corruption). I really just don't see it happening anytime soon, and that's without factoring in the Repulicans in Congress trying to block it.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Don't forget that CIA and NSA make assessments, FBI brings cases and has different standards. It is an important distinction that Brennan mentioned in his testimony.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Cabbit posted:

To be fair, we've never really tested this theory against high treason, have we? I mean, I'm sure rich and powerful people in America have committed treason, but never so sloppily as this.

I'm gonna be ever so slightly optimistic and say rich and powerful people would be down with allowing the Kush to go down for this, particularly if damming proof comes out

1. power in politics and real estate is a zero sum game. If someone goes down, someone else will fill the void.

2. At the same time, you don't want to set a precedent for taking down powerful people for doing poo poo you'll probably just turn around and do

3. You also want to discourage other rich and powerful people from doing dumb poo poo like this because otherwise you'll end up with a tragedy of the commons (prole uprising)

This would be why a culture might perpetuate a strong taboo against killing a king or whatever. Even if a rival king would like his enemy to drop dead, he doesn't want the concept of killing a king to ever be considered noble because that would imperil his own position.*

*kings who counted on this taboo to save themselves were often disappointed so :shrug:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Evil Fluffy posted:

And at that point, Hispanics become 'white people' like the Irish did. If they can pull off even marginal success in that then demographic concerns will be nullified for decades.

Do you really think that in the current conservative climate that you can marry white nationalism with the Latino vote? They do share some social issues but their view on economics are wildly different. Whites won't accept them without jettisoning a significant number of white supremacists. It'll take years. It won't happen overnight.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Farchanter posted:

Isn't Puerto Rico pretty conservative?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hollismason posted:

Two new Senators and at least one new Rep, all with D's beside their names, so... none?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Besides my Puerto Rican mom, no. I think a lot of people just assume they're like South Florida Cubans, and even that population is skewing more liberal with the young folks these days.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

And at that point, Hispanics become 'white people' like the Irish did. If they can pull off even marginal success in that then demographic concerns will be nullified for decades.

I don't think that's possible this time around in as fast as a time frame as would be needed. The GOP has been trying and failing to court Hispanics for a while now. It isn't quite as strong as the black vote but when your pet orange hate golem made "lol gently caress Mexico" an actual part of his platform it's kind of hard to convince them to vote for you. Do remember that that was also a time when white people were a pretty big majority. Even without Italians, Irish, Slavs, etc. white people were still the majority. White people are careening rapidly into minority status.

This is especially true with the amount of race mixing going on. To the GOP if you are half white and half not white you are 100% not white. Do remember that much of the American South didn't repeal anti-miscegenation laws until 1967.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So could Kush panic at the prospect of going to prison like Daddy, scream for immunity and throw Trump and the rest of his inner circle under the bus?

Cause man...that'd be just great. :allears:

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
So, Trump can wave a hand and pardon anyone for anything. However, people have been in Guantanamo Bay for over a decade now without any charges....

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't think that's possible this time around in as fast as a time frame as would be needed. The GOP has been trying and failing to court Hispanics for a while now. It isn't quite as strong as the black vote but when your pet orange hate golem made "lol gently caress Mexico" an actual part of his platform it's kind of hard to convince them to vote for you. Do remember that that was also a time when white people were a pretty big majority. Even without Italians, Irish, Slavs, etc. white people were still the majority. White people are careening rapidly into minority status.

This is especially true with the amount of race mixing going on. To the GOP if you are half white and half not white you are 100% not white. Do remember that much of the American South didn't repeal anti-miscegenation laws until 1967.

Even the minorities that don't get explicitly poo poo on most of the time vote Dem. The GOP keeps failing to court Asian voters too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Al Borland Corp. posted:

PR has weird politics. Federal Income tax rates and anti-latino policies (the two big draws for GOP voters in the US) are off the table there, so their version of the Republicans have been pretty successful at territory-level politics.

That wouldn't translate to the current national GOP, though.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
You guys are thinking that this Kushner thing matters. Classic mistake.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Kushner's spokesperson released a statement about the Reuter's story about the 3 undisclosed meetings with Russians, but not the secret backchannel story:

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/868282213611192320

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Michael Scott posted:

Your cute kitten avatar is the only thing redeeming this post.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Michael Scott posted:

Haha nice man, definitely. Great stuff.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
loving :laffo: that the Russians thought they could influence the Trumps quietly on the DL. It's like a Cohen Brothers comedy come to life.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Bhaal posted:

I love this part. You're gonna love it too.

Are you ready?

https://twitter.com/bencjacobs/status/692155362552778752

gently caress, this video is hilarious every time I see it.
I want to die.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tarezax posted:

Even the minorities that don't get explicitly poo poo on most of the time vote Dem. The GOP keeps failing to court Asian voters too.

Oh wow yeah the Asian vote wasn't far behind the Hispanic vote.

It's almost as if when your party has a message of "everybody that isn't of Anglo-Saxon decent is a stinky and stupid and bad person" as part of its core people who aren't that don't feel particularly inclined to vote for you. Absolute madness, I say!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Moatman posted:

gently caress, this video is hilarious every time I see it.
I want to die.

I hate myself, too, friend

e: when I look at the little datestamp on that twitter post, my heart sinks

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

I hate myself, too, friend

None of you hate yourselves as much as I do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do you have any idea how many lines of code I write a day? If I ever wrote "Drop table * from *; commit;" I don't remember it

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/greatopinionman/status/868290625807974400

https://twitter.com/greatopinionman/status/868290785833299968

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/868257153622134784

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/868258119025127426

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If Christie manages to put both Kushners in jail I will buy that rear end in a top hat a drink.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Calaveron posted:

He's their top spymaster and recruiter Ambassador to the US so clearly there's lots of really good and legit reasons to speak with him and forget/omit those meetings when legally required to disclose them.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Do you really think that in the current conservative climate that you can marry white nationalism with the Latino vote? They do share some social issues but their view on economics are wildly different. Whites won't accept them without jettisoning a significant number of white supremacists. It'll take years. It won't happen overnight.

It's not like "the Irish are white people and not negroid monsters" is something that WASPs just all accepted immediately either. Yes it'd take years but it'd also allow a lot of awful and "I'm not racist, but" Hispanics to embrace the GOP when they otherwise wouldn't. I mean you already see the foundation for it with native born hispanic citizens who see immigrants and refugees as subhuman scum. Or the whitewashing that some people attempted for Zimmerman when he murdered Treyvon Martin.

The main reason it likely won't happen soon (if ever) is because the last decade or so has seen conservative racism towards Hispanics skyrocket, and Trump's only accelerated it even more. That doesn't mean it's impossible and sooner or later that push will happen. The GOP just needs the right face(s) for it. Like if Rubio wasn't a hopeless moron he'd have been a prime candidate for that push.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Considering how many times trump has brutally humiliated Christie and how much he hates kushner that's not the most surprising thing ever.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't know how they manage to stab each other in the back so many times, with only one back and two arms each

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/868289543849484288

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Franks Happy Place posted:

Almost certainly either IC or senior officials with clearance to read this stuff.

Either way the Trump admin is turbofucked.

Note to future admins: If you decide to commit treason espionage during your campaign, you probably don't want to start your presidency by going out of your way to repeatedly poo poo on the IC

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's not like "the Irish are white people and not negroid monsters" is something that WASPs just all accepted immediately either. Yes it'd take years but it'd also allow a lot of awful and "I'm not racist, but" Hispanics to embrace the GOP when they otherwise wouldn't. I mean you already see the foundation for it with native born hispanic citizens who see immigrants and refugees as subhuman scum. Or the whitewashing that some people attempted for Zimmerman when he murdered Treyvon Martin.

The main reason it likely won't happen soon (if ever) is because the last decade or so has seen conservative racism towards Hispanics skyrocket, and Trump's only accelerated it even more. That doesn't mean it's impossible and sooner or later that push will happen. The GOP just needs the right face(s) for it. Like if Rubio wasn't a hopeless moron he'd have been a prime candidate for that push.

Agreed. Essentially they'd have to go back to the compassionate conservative narrative and it'd take at least a decade before they made real headway. Every day in this new direction is further from the old one.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Oh poo poo is Reek finally trying to get revenge on Ramsey?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lemming posted:

I don't know how they manage to stab each other in the back so many times, with only one back and two arms each

Chris Christie has at least 3 backs dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember when most of us thought that Jared was the intelligent one among Trump's inner circle? Fun times.

He probably still is

• Locked thread