Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The online lobby interface for Arms is slick as hell and deserves more praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah I have to agree

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

SeANMcBAY posted:

*spams L*

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Volleyball is pretty fun but it doesn't make much sense in the 5-10 minutes I played of it

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah it's pretty drat cool

And I'm about 5 hours into Zelda now and...it seems fine? I think there are a lot of things kind of clunky about the game and overall it's good but I'm not being blown away like so many other people were. Did people just have mega low expectations going in based on Skyward and Twilight?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

At this point if you aren't personally seeing it, that's fine, but at the same time, "everyone had lowered expectations and that's why they were so impressed" and comments like it are pretty wearying.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Monster Hunter XX for Switch was revealed. It's very much an upress to 720 with better lighting it seems.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Monster Hunter XX

36280 Yen for a bundle with a custom dock and game.

Cross Play with 3DS version of XX

One way save transfer from Monster Hunter X

Dehry fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 27, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Play it on your TV in glorious 240p

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

TFRazorsaw posted:

At this point if you aren't personally seeing it, that's fine, but at the same time, "everyone had lowered expectations and that's why they were so impressed" and comments like it are pretty wearying.

I didn't say I wasn't liking it, I just don't see what's the best thing ever about it. It just seems like a decent open world game that cobbles together bits from other games in a compelling way. And I very much appreciate how little hand holding there is considering its pedigree.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nah, man, docked will do 1080 so you can see all the artifacts those textures got.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yodzilla posted:

I didn't say I wasn't liking it, I just don't see what's the best thing ever about it. It just seems like a decent open world game that cobbles together bits from other games in a compelling way. And I very much appreciate how little hand holding there is considering its pedigree.

That's the secret, then. It takes all these things and puts them together in a way that's presented well and allows freedom. It's less about creating something new and more distilling it into something that's more than the sum of its parts. BoTW does a lot of things other games do, but not all at once, and not nearly as well.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

The lowered expectations are from people thinking it's still 2006 and motion controls are bad

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Dehry posted:

Monster Hunter XX

Cross Play with 3DS version of XX

Only online, though. No local multi mode.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's the secret, then. It takes all these things and puts them together in a way that's presented well and allows freedom. It's less about creating something new and more distilling it into something that's more than the sum of its parts. BoTW does a lot of things other games do, but not all at once, and not nearly as well.

That's basically the gist of it; it may be one of the weaker Zelda's in terms of composition but mechanically it is far and away an amazing game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not seeing how it's weaker in "composition" either, but to each their own.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Lemming posted:

The lowered expectations are from people thinking it's still 2006 and motion controls are bad

Even without motion controls Skyward and Twilight are bad games.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's basically the gist of it; it may be one of the weaker Zelda's in terms of composition but mechanically it is far and away an amazing game.

Yeah everything feels put together really well even if I'm still fumbling around in combat. I don't think I quite get why some weapons have a dodge and some weapons just make me jump when locked on. Can I only dodge with a one-handed weapon and a shield?

Also I keep waiting for some sort of story something in the shrines but I'm starting to think that never happens. I'm good to just skip all of the animations at the beginning and the end, right?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

pissdude posted:

Consider that in fighting games, a big part of the appeal is "getting better through practice". Where's the gratification in just buying the game and being so good that you win off the bat?

get good nerd

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm not seeing how it's weaker in "composition" either, but to each their own.

I mean the plot is pretty non-existent and the dungeons, while cool, are over in about ten minutes. Mechanically it's awesome but it doesn't really go anywhere too interesting.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

Even without motion controls Skyward and Twilight are bad games.

Yeah everything feels put together really well even if I'm still fumbling around in combat. I don't think I quite get why some weapons have a dodge and some weapons just make me jump when locked on. Can I only dodge with a one-handed weapon and a shield?

Also I keep waiting for some sort of story something in the shrines but I'm starting to think that never happens. I'm good to just skip all of the animations at the beginning and the end, right?

You're fumbling your inputs. You can always jump, but when you're locked on, the direction you point to determines if you jump forward to do a lunging attack, backflip dodge or dodge to the sides.

Story is found elsewhere, basically. You can skip shrine animations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

wait are you loving serious

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
no monhonexx in usa??

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
In the short amount that I played online before my Toddler ran in screaming "I want a turn, i want one!", I felt kind of weird about Arms. I remember having more fun playing against my friend at the Switch Preview event. I got thrown into a 2 on 2 match and it just felt chaotic. Not sure if I liked it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah it's pretty drat cool

And I'm about 5 hours into Zelda now and...it seems fine? I think there are a lot of things kind of clunky about the game and overall it's good but I'm not being blown away like so many other people were. Did people just have mega low expectations going in based on Skyward and Twilight?

Zelda felt clunky to me for about that long then you sort of attune to it and it feels great.

Be my Nintendo Friendo, Yod?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You're fumbling your inputs. You can always jump, but when you're locked on, the direction you point to determines if you jump forward to do a lunging attack, backflip dodge or dodge to the sides.

Story is found elsewhere, basically. You can skip shrine animations.

Ah cool, thanks.

Feenix posted:

Zelda felt clunky to me for about that long then you sort of attune to it and it feels great.

Be my Nintendo Friendo, Yod?

Haha sure as soon as I figure out where/how to do that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I missed the first test punch driving but I look forward to the early morning one tomorrow.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I will miss all of them

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Kaewan posted:

Quick question for Japan goons. Do the physical carts support multi language? I know you can change the language setting on the switch to English. What about Portuguese?

I'm in Japan and gonna be flying back to Brazil soon. Being able to play Mario Kart, BotW and such with my non-multilingual family/ friends would be fabulous. I wouldn't buy one in Brazil because they will never be lower than $600 USD there.

The hardware system settings can be set to Portuguese.

Unfortunately, Zelda (the JP cart, anyway) only has JP, English, French (France), Fr (Quebec), German, Spanish (Spain), Sp (Lat Am), Italian, and Russian.

MK8 appears to match the system settings, so I'm seeing text like, "Um Jogador," which I guess is what you need.

Comedy option: 1-2 Switch (JP cart). No Port. support, but includes Spanish at least.
Can't be bothered to go through all other language options.

Snipperclips definitely does not support Portuguese.
It defaults to English with Port set as the hardware language.
Spanish is supported.

Fast RMX appears to be entirely in English, though that's hardly a problem.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
ok my joy-cons stopped synching in with my switch, i have no idea why.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I mean the plot is pretty non-existent and the dungeons, while cool, are over in about ten minutes. Mechanically it's awesome but it doesn't really go anywhere too interesting.

I think that the world is legit interesting to explore and traverse, and that makes up for what you mention.

I really hope that I don't sound dismissive here. We agree that "gayme is gud", yeah? :shobon:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I still find it hard to believe that people play Zelda games for the plot

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think Zelda's storytelling excels in the sense that the world is immersive and they're able to effectively tell a story about reclaiming what you'd lost with a few cutscenes and both visual and textual world building. It's not revolutionary, but it's effective, which is all that's necessary.

Again, it's the larger whole, not the individual pieces.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Maybe I'm pedantic but to me I consider that atmosphere. The actual plot beats of Zelda games you can see from several miles away

Edit: I did really enjoy the memories in BOTW, though. Finding them out of order was also really neat

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

I think that the world is legit interesting to explore and traverse, and that makes up for what you mention.

I really hope that I don't sound dismissive here. We agree that "gayme is gud", yeah? :shobon:

Absolutely, Breath of the Wild is Good. I mean more that previous Zeldas had side quests around a focused central track while Breath is more Elder Scrolls where there is a largely irrelevant main story and the little side things are great. The best of the former is Majora's Mask, for example, where you had the major timeline editing thread and then a lot of interesting side things for all the masks.

Do I think that a better grip on the central idea would have been better and would "justify" a lot of the effort more? Yes, but that doesn't mean that it isn't fun to play.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/868149231357480960

Wish there was more RPG in Mario Golf? Well I sure as hell do. Bring it!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i wish we'd get another tennis with rpg stuff like the gameboy (color?) one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Absolutely, Breath of the Wild is Good. I mean more that previous Zeldas had side quests around a focused central track while Breath is more Elder Scrolls where there is a largely irrelevant main story and the little side things are great. The best of the former is Majora's Mask, for example, where you had the major timeline editing thread and then a lot of interesting side things for all the masks.

Do I think that a better grip on the central idea would have been better and would "justify" a lot of the effort more? Yes, but that doesn't mean that it isn't fun to play.

Funny, I always considered the side quests, like gathering the mask and getting helper marks to be the real meat of Majora's Mask.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fancy Hat! posted:

https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/868149231357480960

Wish there was more RPG in Mario Golf? Well I sure as hell do. Bring it!

Battle Golfer Yui did it first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dudGXi90OZI

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Funny, I always considered the side quests, like gathering the mask and getting helper marks to be the real meat of Majora's Mask.

Same, but it was all tied together by the time altering thread. A lot of sandbox games nowadays don't have that kind of connection, all the side stuff is just kind of there, thrown in haphazardly for the sake of more gameplay. Breath is much more crafted than most in that sense, of course, but it doesn't have the tie-ins that the earlier games had.

It's a structural thing, really. It doesn't change the gameplay at all, just more the overall feeling of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Monster Hunter XX looks pretty agreeable to me re: porting from a 3DS game. They've had "semi-HD" (720p?) assets for monsters, character models, and armor since 4U, so that transition to a larger screen isn't as bad as I expected -- about in line with the Wii U port of 3U, if not better. Will definitely get it, especially considering the US hasn't got XX yet (Generations was the export name of MHX.)

Too bad the port will take like a year to make it out of Japan.

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 27, 2017

• Locked thread