Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I generally just shoot aperture priority. Is there not some sort of shift-like button to toggle between shutter and aperture for manual? On the A55 it had one dial that I believe controlled aperture and if you held another button down it would control shutter speed.

I also really like the swivel screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

huhu posted:

I generally just shoot aperture priority. Is there not some sort of shift-like button to toggle between shutter and aperture for manual? On the A55 it had one dial that I believe controlled aperture and if you held another button down it would control shutter speed.

Sounds like you're used to it so the 5xxx series should work well then. Swivel screen is a great thing to have as well.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

huhu posted:

D5300 owner here. Yeah in Manual you can switch between aperture/shutter control by holding a button next to the shutter release. Similarly ISO can be changed holding a button on the front of the body.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
D7500 was announced. Doesn't really do much for me since I already own a D7200 and am buying a D500 next month, but could be an interesting option for folks who don't want to quite spend D500 money.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I liked the IQ with what I was able to shoot, the issue is the focus was just worthless at times. It was weird, I double checked and when the focus would stop working it was always when it was at full zoom, pulling back through the range didn't help, only a reset of the camera did.

I have it boxed and ready to go to B&H but I am a little concerned that I could get another one like this.

Edit: Just did some further testing with it, the issue is when the lens pushes past infinity mark on the focus dial no matter the focal length.

Hey how did your return work out with the lens?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Hey how did your return work out with the lens?

Well I'm crazy and sold all my Nikon gear and went micro four thirds. It's crazy but I enjoy it a lot more and honestly had no real need for a f2.8 tele. It was GAS :(

Upside. I love my m43 gear and take it with me everywhere.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Well I'm crazy and sold all my Nikon gear and went micro four thirds. It's crazy but I enjoy it a lot more and honestly had no real need for a f2.8 tele. It was GAS :(

Upside. I love my m43 gear and take it with me everywhere.

I've started selling my Nikon gear too. Mostly because it can't keep up with M4/3 as far as work is concerned.

Oh yeah if anyone wants a lightly used 85mm f/1.8G it's still sitting on my shelf not being money I need.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I've started selling my Nikon gear too. Mostly because it can't keep up with M4/3 as far as work is concerned.

Oh yeah if anyone wants a lightly used 85mm f/1.8G it's still sitting on my shelf not being money I need.

What are you doing with the m43 gear? Mine was due to portability, the quality was great out of both the D750 and D7100. Features wise m43 just keeps adding things that are of use to me.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What are you doing with the m43 gear? Mine was due to portability, the quality was great out of both the D750 and D7100. Features wise m43 just keeps adding things that are of use to me.

4K web video, trade shows, bizarre circumstances for photos, high frame rates, etc.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

4K web video, trade shows, bizarre circumstances for photos, high frame rates, etc.
Good points all around, the 4K on my G85 is outstanding.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Good points all around, the 4K on my G85 is outstanding.

Hey, that's the body I got to serve as a second when work buys me the GH5!

How are you liking it so far? Have you messed around with the 4K photo features like post focus/focus stacking?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

How are you liking it so far? Have you messed around with the 4K photo features like post focus/focus stacking?

I feel bad for talking about m43 in the Nikon thread :(

However, I really can say I love this thing. After getting used to the menu system and assigning my function buttons to what I wanted it is perfect, and that's a hard thing for me to say most of the time. I haven't used the 4K photos yet but I haven't had a true need for it yet. The post focus stuff is rather slick, the focus stacking I actually just realized it had. I have a Oly em10 mk ii I bought for cheap to do some live composite stuff and was using it for focus stacking, but I will utilize the G85 for it now.

All around it is a fantastic camera.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

I'm planning on buying a GH5 this year with the 100-400mm lens to suppliment my D7200 & D500 (I have a 200-500mm for those as well as a 150-600mm I've yet to be able to sell).

Not replacing, supplementing. I want the GH5 for the 4K60/1080p180 video, keeping my Nikon gear for the photography side. (why am I running around with super-telephotos? birds.)

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Kenshin posted:

I'm planning on buying a GH5 this year with the 100-400mm lens to suppliment my D7200 & D500 (I have a 200-500mm for those as well as a 150-600mm I've yet to be able to sell).

Not replacing, supplementing. I want the GH5 for the 4K60/1080p180 video, keeping my Nikon gear for the photography side. (why am I running around with super-telephotos? birds.)

If you don't need the V-LOG features and stuff the GH5 offers look at the G85 for a LOT less. The 4K output from it is stunning.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

If you don't need the V-LOG features and stuff the GH5 offers look at the G85 for a LOT less. The 4K output from it is stunning.

I need the framerate stuff, and mic input, and other advanced features.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
On the (Danish) Nikon Store, a refurbished D500 is only €120 more than the new D7500 (vs €430 for a brand new D500 at an online retailer). Of course neither is in stock right now, but would there be any serious downsides to the refurb?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

NFX posted:

On the (Danish) Nikon Store, a refurbished D500 is only €120 more than the new D7500 (vs €430 for a brand new D500 at an online retailer). Of course neither is in stock right now, but would there be any serious downsides to the refurb?

I usually prefer refurbs tbqh. I don't think I've ever bought a non-refurb body in any system.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

NFX posted:

Never had a problem due to it being a refurb.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

NFX posted:

The D500 is a better camera in general anyway, so yes you should probably get that.

(The D7500 is just a D500 with fewer features)

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Anyone have a guess as to why a D750 in live view tethered to a computer would be taking pictures with a circular crop?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

aricoarena posted:

Anyone have a guess as to why a D750 in live view tethered to a computer would be taking pictures with a circular crop?

It's not a DX lens is it?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

nielsm posted:

It's not a DX lens is it?

I was just going to edit my post to say I thought of that. I was called about this so I don't have camera in front of me but I think they said the lens was 16 to 80 asph which looks like is only a DX. I called them back and tried to explain it.

You know if the image circle will give full covered more zoomed in?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

aricoarena posted:

I was just going to edit my post to say I thought of that. I was called about this so I don't have camera in front of me but I think they said the lens was 16 to 80 asph which looks like is only a DX. I called them back and tried to explain it.

You know if the image circle will give full covered more zoomed in?

I don't know about that particular lens, but typically they do.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My old 18-55 DX kit lens (no VR) covers a full frame from around 24 mm in.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Cool, thanks everyone. I told them to try zooming in when I called back earlier.

They figured out DX crop mode.

Literally have never owned a nikon, own more film cameras than digital, and dont have a dslr but they know i like cameras so i must know how they all work right?

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 28, 2017

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

aricoarena posted:

Cool, thanks everyone. I told them to try zooming in when I called back earlier.

They figured out DX crop mode.

Literally have never owned a nikon, own more film cameras than digital, and dont have a dslr but they know i like cameras so i must know how they all work right?

Or you're willing to figure out their problems for them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Just pulled the trigger on one of those sweet D500 + 16-80mm + battery grip bundles for ~$2350. :v:

Can't wait, my D7200 will make a great backup body.

EDIT: got it in the mail yesterday. Holy poo poo the whirrrrr it makes when shooting at 10fps. :D That 64gb XQD card was worth it, gonna get some sweet inflight bird pictures with this thing and my 200-500mm.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 26, 2017

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cross-posting from gear:

I'm thinking about buying a Nikon 85mm 1.8G - is there anything else in the neighborhood I should be considering? I'd primarily use it for portraiture and maybe pseudo-macro? (It's supposed to focus at 2.62ft, at which I figure 85mm on DX would be pretty tight if not exactly macro.)

Will I love it? Is there anything to worry about with it?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Krakkles posted:

The reproduction ratio is 0.125x. Take a 1:1 macro lens and divide the size of the objects in the photos by 8. That will be the size of the objects in the photos done by the 85mm 1.8.

Just for contrast the reproduction ratio of the 18-55 DX that comes with most lower end Nikons has a max reproduction ratio of 0.3x

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 26, 2017

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

The reproduction ratio is 0.125x. Take a 1:1 macro lens and divide the size of the objects in the photos by 8. That will be the size of the objects in the photos done by the 85mm 1.8.

Just for contrast the reproduction ratio of the 18-55 DX that comes with most lower end Nikons has a max reproduction ratio of 0.3x
Would a 85mm 3.5G also be usable for, say portraiture? It looks like it offers true 1:1.

I'd like to have an actual macro lens, so I might actually go for that. What other lenses should I look at also?

Edit: looks like a 60mm 2.8D and a 105mm 2.8D are both pretty inexpensive. Which one should I get?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 26, 2017

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Krakkles posted:

Would a 85mm 3.5G also be usable for, say portraiture? It looks like it offers true 1:1.

I'd like to have an actual macro lens, so I might actually go for that. What other lenses should I look at also?

Edit: looks like a 60mm 2.8D and a 105mm 2.8D are both pretty inexpensive. Which one should I get?

Check out the Tamron SP 90mm. Adaptall/MF and early AF versions are hilarious cheap these days too. The new VR one is spendy, natch.
I think they make for an OK portrait lens but background highlights can be eh when at 'regular' focus distances imo. Much prefer the 85mm in this focal length range for that.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Krakkles posted:

Cross-posting from gear:

I'm thinking about buying a Nikon 85mm 1.8G - is there anything else in the neighborhood I should be considering? I'd primarily use it for portraiture and maybe pseudo-macro? (It's supposed to focus at 2.62ft, at which I figure 85mm on DX would be pretty tight if not exactly macro.)

I have the 85 1.8G and as far as the "look" it gives, it's by far my favorite. And I'm not talking just portraits; I mean I will pick it if at all practical for any subject. Don't know how you could not love it, but admittedly I haven't tried its competitors.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
I've been using a d3100 for a few years and I've loved the poo poo out of this little camera. I'm trying to upgrade to something with better dynamic range, low light capability, and autofocus. I'm not ready to commit serious $$$ though and the D7200 is looking like a very attractive intermediate that hits all my selling points for a very low price. Does this seem like a reasonable upgrade?

E- bonus question. If I go with this and am able to use more autofocusing lenses that I've been missing out on with my d3100, are there any lenses you'd recommend that I can get for cheap used that will work with this thing? I mainly shoot with my 35mm f1.8, but I really like my tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I'd love something fast that's in between the two, but I've also been on the lookout for a zoom that isn't a kit lens.

TheBananaKing fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 27, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just rented the Nikon 200-500 for a vacation and holy crap is it huge. It makes my 50-150 (the size and weight of a 70-200) look like a toy in comparison. Let's hope it's fun to shoot with, and prevents me from getting eaten by bears.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

TheBananaKing posted:

I'm not ready to commit serious $$$ though and the D7200 is looking like a very attractive intermediate that hits all my selling points for a very low price. Does this seem like a reasonable upgrade?
I think that sounds like a great idea.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Fun side-effect of XQD cards vs. SD Cards (because I just got a D500): the imports into Lightroom are waaaaay faster. (both card adapters using USB 3)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is LR still loving dumb about the way it imports poo poo? On my version it'll stop copying while it does the initial conversion, it's so loving dumb.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

evil_bunnY posted:

Is LR still loving dumb about the way it imports poo poo? On my version it'll stop copying while it does the initial conversion, it's so loving dumb.

Are you converting to DNGs?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

thetzar posted:

Are you converting to DNGs?
Ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

That mind-numbingly idiotic behavior is one of the reasons I stopped doing that, so I don't have a direct answer as to whether it's still a problem. But in no longer doing a DNG conversion, I found that performance with backup software was improved too— changes result in a new sidecar XMP to be backed up, not a whole new 40mb DNG.

If you really want DNGs, though, you can do the conversion on demand from the Photo menu. It's an annoying extra step to do after import, but it does let you choose when Lightroom is going to spend time doing it.