Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

I can confirm they don't. Ideally I guess you're supposed to tailor your stages to what your situation at the time demands; for example, as UE I would pick food for the first upgrade, production and influence for the second, and double up on influence + 1 slot for production for the third.

Well poo poo. I don't know what to believe any more. I do remember checking between upgrade stages and I did think they wouldn't stack.

well that makes two of us, i feel like my systems got stronger, but i might be wrong too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Given how slick and informative the UI is, it seems really weird that they wouldn't stack while
- the UI gives you no warning or indication of it, and
- the UI lets you add the same luxury good to more than one development stage.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Warfare isn't so hot, however, since the AI apparently is dogshit terrible at designing ships? I mean, when your basic attack ship does single digit damage to whatever I design, your ability to spam ships and grow pops super fast is kinda useless. At least I can confirm that the "bigger ship = plain better than point equivalent in smaller ships" theory is true as of now.

That seems accurate, but also the way it should work. If small hulls were just as good as their point equivalent in larger hulls, you'd never bother with the greater research/production cost.

I don't know about the AI being bad at designing ships, or for that matter how much room there is to be 'good' at it. With the exception of the absolutely critical siege module and some of the fleet buffing ones, most of the utility stuff just seems way too marginal and circumstantial when I look at them. I had the same issue with a lot of the equipment in EL (Ring: +12% morale when at < half health and adjacent to two enemies during a siege!). Are people really getting mileage out of the +10% chance to be targeted/-10% chance to be targeted/+2 manpower killed with every shot/etc modules?

In terms of impact, the much bigger warfare issue with the AI is that it seems totally oblivious to the card system, which definitely does make a huge difference.

Just a line or two of code telling it "pick the +shield card if they have tons of energy damage, pick the +armor card if they have tons of ballistic damage" would make combat way harder.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Is it viable to play this game as peaceful scientists/traders/builders? I keep trying to play this way as Sophons, but run up against pirates and neighbors with stronger navies that then declare war or raid me. I then research military technologies and build up a defensive navy, and all of a sudden the militarists are in control of my government.

I wish there was a way to build up positive relations with other empires through trade routes(and maybe there is and I'm missing it) or some bloc building system like religions in Civ IV.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

prometheusbound2 posted:

Is it viable to play this game as peaceful scientists/traders/builders? I keep trying to play this way as Sophons, but run up against pirates and neighbors with stronger navies that then declare war or raid me. I then research military technologies and build up a defensive navy, and all of a sudden the militarists are in control of my government.

I wish there was a way to build up positive relations with other empires through trade routes(and maybe there is and I'm missing it) or some bloc building system like religions in Civ IV.

Unfallen, my friend. They can get bonuses for the number of Peace treaties you have with other races.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

prometheusbound2 posted:

The Militarists being in power doesn't make you go to war with anyone. You do need to build up a fleet to chase off pirates and ward off other civs, but there's nothing forcing you to go to war with anyone.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
My invasions don't seem to be making much sense. I went to invade a system, and the battle went poorly, with most of my guys dying. At the end of the battle it says something like 185/700 remaining. The next turn I get the same ground battle prompt without trying to attack and I'm back up to 700/700. What's up?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm interested in this game, but I'm curious about the...I guess, feel of it, for lack of a better word.

I know it's a 4x, and I know that each faction has a questline. But does it mostly play like a traditional 4x, where you're just chasing a victory condition, and also there's this quest thing going on on the side that you can do to buff up your empire? Or is the focus of each game on completing the story, and all the 4x stuff is a means/obstacle to that end? And is it the same story/quests every time, or does it encourage multiple plays to see all the alternate branching paths?

I guess my question would be, is this a story-driven game now, or is it just "New space 4x, now with quests!" I played endless space 1, and it was...fine, but I don't think I'd ever finished a game because I'd always get bored after the midway "you've passed the point of no return toward victory, it's just busywork now" point. I can see how theoretically the new story quest thing can help address that and give you a reason to keep playing once you've passed the usual 4x victory marker, I guess I'm just curious about how well it actually pulls that off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I also have invasion issues. My troops never seem to refill on ships unless I send them back to my space and let them sit in orbit for a while. I swear I saw supply transports before, but even sitting around in neutral space right next to my home system everyone stays at 0/150 troops, my systems never send supply ships.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

You can bribe any factions except Cravers into peace with you by offering enough resources as part of the peace deal. It's a strong way to play even when the pacifist party isn't in power and ridiculous with their mandatory law, which is hands-down the most broken law in the game. You'll end up with a substantial amount of militarist support just from fighting pirates, but not so much that they'll take over your government. Lumeris are a great choice if you want to opt out of the military side of the game as much as possible- in addition to being pacifists, they spend Dust instead of Influence to get minor factions to like them, so you can assimilate any nearby minors very quickly and stop worrying about pirates. If some do get through, there's no need to research any military technology; just buy a fleet off the marketplace with your ample Dust reserves.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm interested in this game, but I'm curious about the...I guess, feel of it, for lack of a better word.

I know it's a 4x, and I know that each faction has a questline. But does it mostly play like a traditional 4x, where you're just chasing a victory condition

Definitely this. The story isn't very developed at all, even compared to Endless Legend, let alone games in other genres.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

My invasions don't seem to be making much sense. I went to invade a system, and the battle went poorly, with most of my guys dying. At the end of the battle it says something like 185/700 remaining. The next turn I get the same ground battle prompt without trying to attack and I'm back up to 700/700. What's up?

Your fleet has a total manpower stock, but in each turn, you can only deploy a set amount of Manpower (in your case 700).

So 700 of your guys went down, most of them died, and then next turn it refilled to 700 from the fleet stock.

I think most of us are annoyed with this system to varying degrees.

Some of the technologies increase how many guys you can send down at once. I pretty much always choose Bombardment unless I have an overwhelming advantage.

Baronjutter posted:

I also have invasion issues. My troops never seem to refill on ships unless I send them back to my space and let them sit in orbit for a while. I swear I saw supply transports before, but even sitting around in neutral space right next to my home system everyone stays at 0/150 troops, my systems never send supply ships.

No, that's normal. You can only refill ship manpower in your space.

It takes a single turn, unless you don't have enough Manpower in your Empire, in which case it refills as fast as it can.

The 'supply ships' you saw were probably going to a colony.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 26, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

My old friend "the perpetually pending turn before an election" has made his ugly face seen. Any known fix?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

prometheusbound2 posted:

I assume it works just like other 4xs where if you have no military or a very weak military, the AI can tell and will bully/murder you.

I do think the Senate goes Militarist way too easily right now. As you said, just vaguely defending yourself for a few turns tends to flip your Ecological/Scientific Utopia into Sparta.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The way I played (with Unfallen) was to keep a good buffer of one or two systems between my closest neighbor (unless they're Craven, in which case I restart), then build up resources on my side til I have enough to broker peace. Once you've got a peace treaty it seems like things stay pretty steady.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

[1.0.6] Preview

[IA]

Fixed: Map Sharing correction (evaluation)
Fixed: handling of rare resources
Fixed: loop in AI behavior when idle
Fixed: allocation of influence
Fixed all costs of diplomatic terms for AI
Fixed: Tweaked transitions duration so AI asks for map sharing less often and can ask for peace more often
Fixed: Shipdesign costs for AI
Improved AI colonization behavior
Increased AI aggressiveness
Better evaluation of trade agreement terms

[PERFORMANCE]

The technology helper is now active only for human players.

[FIXES]

Fixed an issue where political events of global, Academy and Academy - Finale quests had missing GUI elements.
Fixed a broken save issue due to migrations (reported here)

[VISUAL]

More nebulae and stellar winds in Galaxy Spiral 8

We also made a lot of improvements on the multiplayer. Several desync causes have been fixed, especially on these topics:

- Vision Visibility

- Fog of war

- Fleet movements

- Probes

- Systems revealed by quests

- VisionSharing & MapSharing (diplomacy term)

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
The module slots on the bigger ships are a bit weird when it comes to fleet buffs. As a test, I had a medium-sized coordinator ship that has a default speed of 4. I toss on two +3 speed engines to get 10, and then I put two +1 fleet speed modules, the H-Field Fleet Accelerator. If I'm understanding correctly how module sizes work on bigger ships - and assuming the fleet modules stack - I should be getting x2 on each of those fleet speed modules for +2 speed each, providing 14 speed in total.

This sounds right, because it definitely uses twice as many resources to use those modules than it would on a smaller ship, and if you look at the speed total after jumping in and out of the edit ship screen it seems to add up correctly, but in practice this doesn't seem to be the case. When actually built and moving, the total speed only adds up to 12, which suggests they're not x2 despite what the ship design screen shows and still using twice as many resources.

(As a side note, it seems ship blueprints actually affect other designs, at least visually. If I have a ship with fleet modules, not even built, just as a blueprint in the fleet/ship design menu, it appears to boost the speed of every other ship design in the list. When actually built, this isn't the case, so it's just a visual bug - but it makes if difficult to tell how fast ships actually are until you build them, especially if you have multiple designs that use fleet modules, where the effect compounds.)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Davincie posted:

[PERFORMANCE]
The technology helper is now active only for human players.

lol, seriously they gave it to AI? No wonder it lagged.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Avasculous posted:

I think most of us are annoyed with this system to varying degrees.

Some of the technologies increase how many guys you can send down at once. I pretty much always choose Bombardment unless I have an overwhelming advantage.

Bombardment never worked as the tooltip described in the beta and initial release. Don't know if it got fixed in one of the subsequent patches but if you're selecting bombardment constantly that might be why you're annoyed with the system.

Also most of the annoyances I've seen people having is that they can't bum rush a strong system in one turn. Which is fine to be annoyed about if that's what you want, but hardly much of an actual criticism on the system.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

drat, got stuck with the turn "pending" bug. Even going back a few turns it still hits me at the same turn. RIP
Mousing over the turn button it seems 2 of the AI's are ready and 2 are "in encounter"

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 27, 2017

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

nessin posted:

Bombardment never worked as the tooltip described in the beta and initial release. Don't know if it got fixed in one of the subsequent patches but if you're selecting bombardment constantly that might be why you're annoyed with the system.

Oh, that's concerning. I feel like it's more effective than Blitz, but obviously I've never Save/Loaded to test that.

quote:

Also most of the annoyances I've seen people having is that they can't bum rush a strong system in one turn. Which is fine to be annoyed about if that's what you want, but hardly much of an actual criticism on the system.

Actually, the main thing that annoys me is the potency (and ease) of spamming Conscription. I think it should either have some cost (approval?) or limit (only generates infantry?) added to it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Avasculous posted:

Actually, the main thing that annoys me is the potency (and ease) of spamming Conscription. I think it should either have some cost (approval?) or limit (only generates infantry?) added to it.

I think some sort of cooldown would work. Like, 5-10 turns or something. So if you have an overwhelming manpower advantage you can actually leverage it by throwing enough troops into the grinder.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I am like, aggressively terrible at these Endless games. What are the traits to take to make a cheaty custom race?

Gargantuan Population seems really good.

What's dictatorship like? Do I just not have to deal with elections? Also, what's the downside of having to deal with elections?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm impressed at how many significant choices there are in the United Empire faction quest. Choosing your successor, and at one point deciding whether or not to re-brand your empire Sherydn or Mezari which further colors your later quest objectives. Nice.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

RVT posted:

I am like, aggressively terrible at these Endless games. What are the traits to take to make a cheaty custom race?

Gargantuan Population seems really good.

What's dictatorship like? Do I just not have to deal with elections? Also, what's the downside of having to deal with elections?

Riftborn or vodyani worker traits w/o the controls those races have are nuts almost on thier own

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RVT posted:

Dictatorships have "elections", they just ignore the results and do whatever you decided. However, if you go too much against the will of the people they might get super pissed off and revolt.

The Cravers have a special government where the slaves don't get votes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

drat, got stuck with the turn "pending" bug. Even going back a few turns it still hits me at the same turn. RIP
Mousing over the turn button it seems 2 of the AI's are ready and 2 are "in encounter"

Check and see if an election vote is on the upcoming turn. A cursory google scan has this as a legacy bug from the beta which, given its longevity, is probably unfixable. I wondered if maybe forcing a government change in the runup might help but whoops, I never bothered to learn xenology or w/e

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The way I played (with Unfallen) was to keep a good buffer of one or two systems between my closest neighbor (unless they're Craven, in which case I restart), then build up resources on my side til I have enough to broker peace. Once you've got a peace treaty it seems like things stay pretty steady.

What difficulty are you playing at? With two games playing as Unfallen next to the Cravers, I had no problems with them on Normal. Find a choke point to hold, sit a fleet on Guard there, and their fleets were never really an issue. Push in to their systems when they declare war and take out one or two, and they'll be crippled for the rest of the game since they can't expand past you until they unlock more tech, which puts them severely behind.

Avasculous posted:

There is a cost to Conscription, a very serious one since it kills a population when used.

Edit: And if paired with the tech that let's your systems produce manpower at the cost of a population, that's two pop a turn.

Onean fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 27, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Onean posted:

There is a cost to Conscription, a very serious one since it kills a population when used.

Yeah, but that's like 10-25 free turns for them, and even the penalty hurts the attacker more than the defender since they're the ones who will end up controlling that system.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 27, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That's fair on the delay. I think it's kind of intended though, since it gives the defending force some time to respond so you don't just immediately lose a system if you're attacked and your closest fleet is on the other side of your empire. It's probably too many turns, though.

For the cost to attackers, I haven't had any issues with it. I've only played a few games past turn 70 though, and they've all been Unfallen. By the point I'm seriously going after enemy systems I already have my maximum systems before penalties, and likely already am far enough ahead of everyone else in the game I don't need any more anyways. Edit: And when I did take planets, having more space for my pops was preferable to keeping their pops.

I think I need to step up the difficulty a couple levels, which is weird for me. Even though I really enjoy the 4X genre, I've always been awful at them and rarely play higher than Normal. I have had hardly any of the complaints towards space combat I see around the web, or ground combat I see in this thread. Maybe it's just my kind of playstyle, I don't know.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I play super turtle-pacifist and the AI has let me so far, and I can comfortably beat the game on Hard and I'm working on Serious next. I'm not great at 4X but I think the difficulty levels are just misleadingly named and Hard is what I'd call normal difficulty.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
How do I decrease the penalty for "Over Colonisation"? There is ONE tech I see that does it, which removes it from -120 to -100.

What ship is the best one to convert to a troop "I need 500,000,000,000 men women and robots to take that one planet" transport. Is is the co-ordinator ship or is there a better hull for it?

In the ground combat, all my tanks fire and hit empty land behind the front line. Huh?

With half my empire headed into revolt I'm stun locked into Anarchy -> One Turn of random ruler -> Anarchy again.

Do you pay any upkeep for ships in a hanger?

I saw a reference to constellations, but don't see them on the map? What do they do?

Is it possible to take over a system just using influence as a culture bomb? Can you stop someone doing it without using influence in another way?

My current game seems to be stuck with a single rebel corvette "choosing it's strategy". Well played AI, getting me to start a new game and never allowing me to kill you in the current one.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Comstar posted:

How do I decrease the penalty for "Over Colonisation"? There is ONE tech I see that does it, which removes it from -120 to -100.

What ship is the best one to convert to a troop "I need 500,000,000,000 men women and robots to take that one planet" transport. Is is the co-ordinator ship or is there a better hull for it?

In the ground combat, all my tanks fire and hit empty land behind the front line. Huh?

With half my empire headed into revolt I'm stun locked into Anarchy -> One Turn of random ruler -> Anarchy again.

Do you pay any upkeep for ships in a hanger?

I saw a reference to constellations, but don't see them on the map? What do they do?

Is it possible to take over a system just using influence as a culture bomb? Can you stop someone doing it without using influence in another way?

My current game seems to be stuck with a single rebel corvette "choosing it's strategy". Well played AI, getting me to start a new game and never allowing me to kill you in the current one.

There are techs that increase how many planets you can colonize without penalty, they're on the left side of the tree. You start with 6 and can research up to 12. You can check what you're at on the Empire screen.

Whatever hull has the most support module slots. Edit: Then fill those slots with your best manpower modules, which can be researched in the top tech tree. You can also compare which ship size is best by looking at the manpower number while creating a design, it's in the middle of the top row of stats in the box top right.

I don't think that matters?

See point 1. Also, build happiness improvements which are also researched on the left tree.

Yes. You can check by looking at your Military screen.

Constellations are a group of systems linked by normal starlanes. Any system you need Baryonic Radiation or the black hole tech to reach are either in a different constellation or solitary systems. If you zoom out far enough you'll see constellation names.

Yes. It needs a tech, again in the left tree. The only way to prevent it is to not let your systems fall under the influence circle (or vines if they're Unfallen) of another Empire. Your Influence generation determines how resilient your borders are against other Empires.

That's a bug that's seemingly being fixed soon, the patch is up on the beta for ES2 in Steam.

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 27, 2017

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can mitigate the penalty with happiness buildings, personally ive never really been in threat of an actual revolution, there does seem to be a real lack of direct techs for it though, es1 had at least a few

you can take over systems with influence, it needs a tech too. takes a while and then a counter pop ups with a decreasing influence cost to buy it

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Davincie posted:

you can mitigate the penalty with happiness buildings, personally ive never really been in threat of an actual revolution, there does seem to be a real lack of direct techs for it though, es1 had at least a few

As long as we're taking about over-colonization, that's addressed by the techs that increase how many systems you can control without penalty. Over-population, the modifier that applies to an individual system when its population gets high, is handled by just happiness improvements I believe.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Switching to a Federation also gives you an increase to the amount of systems you can colonize without the overextension penalty. Though if you've already tanked your approval below 50, you can't change governments.

I played another game to completion, this time a wonder victory with the Unfallen on Hard. The end-game lag has been reduced a little but it's still there, I think I'll finally put it down until they improve the performance through patches. At this point after three complete playthroughs over 25 hours I still think it's a very good 4X game that will be excellent with some more polish. It's also a little too easy to win by Economy even without trying, conversely it also gives the game an internal invisible clock where you are racing against time to win before one of the AIs (usually the Lumeris) stumbles into an Economy victory. Science also seems like a fairly easy victory to get. The triad of Science/Wonder/Economy are too synergistic with each other, it's easy to switch strategies from one to the next on the fly, and in my latest game I actually postponed a science victory on purpose just to get the achievement for a wonder victory. (To be fair I've played a ton of 4X and they might have purposefully tuned the difficulty for 4X newbies, but if anything the game seems specifically geared towards people who've played Amplitude's previous games as well.)

I want to give Endless Legend another try (I bounced off after about 30 hours and before the DLC were released) but the combat in that one just didn't appeal to me at all. Maybe I'll just auto-resolve everything. I also enjoy the quicker pace, especially of expansion, in ES2 compared to EL. The best part of every game so far has been the first 2-3 hours when you're hunting for curiosities and colonizing, after that borders start freezing and you focus on going tall and clicking End Turn a lot. Stellaris has the same pacing problem. ES2 mitigates it somewhat through questlines, travel methods that open up once you progress in technology and curiosities that can only be found at a certain stage of the tech tree, but at least in this last game those end-game curiosities were just resources I never needed for anything because I'd almost won anyway. Going for end-game curiosities could be a nice high-risk comeback mechanism where if you find yourself unable to be on pace for a victory you could do some questlines or challenges through curiosity hunting to catch up.

NB: I apparently got lucky and didn't run into a single show-stopper bug.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 27, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, I was a little disappointed too that the higher tier curiosities were largely just more of the lower tier ones or better luxuries. That seems like a pretty simple system to improve later though, so here's hoping they do.

Amplitude was really good about filling out the middle of Endless Legend over the course of the expansions, so I hope you do take another look at it. Auto-resolving combat is perfectly fine, though you may miss an odd edge case where you can pull a victory out of a severely imbalanced matchup. Those are pretty rare unless you're aiming for them though, and if you don't like the combat there's no reason to torture yourself with it.

ES2 is a little better about the mid-game slump than most other 4X games are, but I think it's just a matter of priorities that makes almost every game in the genre launch like that. Getting the base systems in and working does take a lot of time, money and work hours, but it would be nice to have a really well balanced game that had engaging mechanics throughout​ an entire save at launch. At least with Amplitude there's a great chance we'll get some excellent content down the road that fills in any sparse stretches.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
poo poo I cant get my turn 100 colossal galaxy save to load. Anyone else had this

Edit: it loaded but turns are taking minutes to end. Cant believe this is still an issue lol

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 27, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Surprise Giraffe posted:

poo poo I cant get my turn 100 colossal galaxy save to load. Anyone else had this

Edit: it loaded but turns are taking minutes to end. Cant believe this is still an issue lol

My Sophons game also refuses to load. Not convinced the game should've left Early Access - if it can't get loading save games right, it probably shouldn't pretend to be ready for prime time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Onean posted:

Yeah, I was a little disappointed too that the higher tier curiosities were largely just more of the lower tier ones or better luxuries. That seems like a pretty simple system to improve later though, so here's hoping they do.

Amplitude was really good about filling out the middle of Endless Legend over the course of the expansions, so I hope you do take another look at it. Auto-resolving combat is perfectly fine, though you may miss an odd edge case where you can pull a victory out of a severely imbalanced matchup. Those are pretty rare unless you're aiming for them though, and if you don't like the combat there's no reason to torture yourself with it.

I started a game with the Vaulters on Normal. I'm 90 turns in and I have only two cities and I've barely begun setting up a third. Everything feels like it's progressing incredibly slowly and I'm worried it's not the pacing but because I'm doing something terribly wrong and lagging behind the AI. Roaming neutral armies in particular are a loving nightmare, you have to build multiple units to have exploration/settler parties and units can take 10-20 turns to build. Is this just the way the game is supposed to be?