Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You can have a villain without fighting her directly. In fifth Element Corbin and Leeloo Dallas never even meet the main villain.

Leeloo does (briefly), Corbin doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Leeloo does (briefly), Corbin doesn't.

I do not believe you remember who the main villain was.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
[quote="Gatts" post=""472744935" "]
a Master and Commander type ship to ship naval warfare and strategy.
[/quote]

It's a shame that movie still basically stands alone in modern films about that era. The Galapagos parts were so good.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

It would also work with Wrath of Khan type scenario where they never fight directly they just have their ships fight, especially since ships are a big part of the Pirates franchise

Pirates 4 never had a single canon on a ship fire

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Butts posted:

Well she also spit hot fire at mr shadow at the end...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

I assumed he was referring to Zorg and not the big evil planet. Although you could argue everyone on earth met the big evil planet.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The MSJ posted:

In this age of Trump, Underworld should be about Selene's werewolf-vampire daughter uniting everyone to fight a disgusting troll that controls the internet.

After how utterly dire Blood War was this is would be a step up.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm not gonna lie, jiangshi would be loving hilariously awesome in the Underworld series.

They'll shoot guns like the rest of the vampires but now they'll be bouncing around the place. I figure it'd be high time for matrix wall running to make a return or something.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Electromax posted:

It's a shame that movie still basically stands alone in modern films about that era. The Galapagos parts were so good.

I want to live in the world where we got five Master and Commander movies instead of five Pirates of the Caribbean.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

More and more negative reviews are piling up for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, its already sitting at a metascore of 38 and the drat thing hasn't even come out yet.

That's only six points less the BvS!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I want to live in the world where we got five Master and Commander movies instead of five Pirates of the Caribbean.

Well...now I do, too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cooked Auto posted:

After how utterly dire Blood War was this is would be a step up.

You kidding? It was a crap movie by any objective metric, but as far as pure enjoyment goes, very little this year has beaten it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Electromax posted:

I'm kind of surprised they didn't rewrite the scene where Jack Sparrow has a 300-2-esque sex fight with the female villain when they recast to Javier Bardem.

If it ends with him flipping a coin, that would be a nice send off.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It was a crap movie by any objective metric

Like what?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

It looks like absolute rear end (the fact that it cost 35 mil to make is genuinely loving astounding and makes me wonder if a lot of that money literally got set on fire, Joker style), the actors are either talentless or sleepwalking, the script is simultaneously exposition-heavy and utterly nonsensical, the action choreography is weightless DBZ nonsense... basically any way a movie can conceivably go wrong, Blood Wars barrels loving headfirst into.

However, this has the end result of making it utterly hilarious. It is absolutely not a lazy movie; it's just incompetent.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Sir Kodiak posted:

The world is a lesser place without debauched sloths on the big screen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Let's make it four Master and Commanders and one Pirates

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

More seafaring films in general would be nice, but that's the kind of expense you can't really afford unless you're making a blockbuster.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Let's make it four Master and Commanders and one Pirates

Yeah, I like the first Pirates movie. Just give Master and Commander the four sequels.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

davidspackage posted:

Honestly, I want to see it for Geoffrey Rush ha-ha-harring and Javier Bardem acting through a mouth full of tar.

Have there been roles for Bardem where he HASN'T had some kind of speech impediment???

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It looks like absolute rear end (the fact that it cost 35 mil to make is genuinely loving astounding and makes me wonder if a lot of that money literally got set on fire, Joker style), the actors are either talentless or sleepwalking, the script is simultaneously exposition-heavy and utterly nonsensical, the action choreography is weightless DBZ nonsense... basically any way a movie can conceivably go wrong, Blood Wars barrels loving headfirst into.

However, this has the end result of making it utterly hilarious. It is absolutely not a lazy movie; it's just incompetent.

I don't mean how is it bad but what are the "objective standards" of movie quality

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Fried Watermelon posted:

Pirates 4 never had a single canon on a ship fire

The climax of Pirates 3 was two guys swordfighting in a whirlpool while the huge intercontinental armada they spent an entire movie amassing just kind of chills in the background.

People complained about the Kraken dying offscreen between movies but at least that kind of worked with the whole "magic is dying, we're approaching the modern age, there's no place for men like us anymore" theme they were going for, the wet fart of a final naval battle was what really disappointed me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

I don't mean how is it bad but what are the "objective standards" of movie quality

Perhaps I phrased it poorly, but the stuff I mentioned was what I was referring to when I said that. Maybe it'd be more accurate for me to say the movie lacks technical merit, or is poorly-crafted.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Pirates of the Caribbean is like Shrek where it's a real good (some would say great) and refreshing movie that had it's reputation in the public imagination tarnished by endless cash-in sequels.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I still will watch shrek or pirates 1 any time I catch them flipping channels, but I'd rather take a nap than watch the sequels

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

galagazombie posted:

Pirates of the Caribbean is like Shrek where it's a real good (some would say great) and refreshing movie that had it's reputation in the public imagination tarnished by endless cash-in sequels.

Shrek kind of suffers from how terrible the humans in it look now but Pirates has aged really well, the skeletons are super fake but they're cartoony enough and have enough personality to feel more akin to the Harryhausen skeletons from Jason and the Argonauts.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Perhaps I phrased it poorly, but the stuff I mentioned was what I was referring to when I said that. Maybe it'd be more accurate for me to say the movie lacks technical merit, or is poorly-crafted.

I mean, I bet it sucks but it sounds like you liked it. There's no equations to prove the movie is bad even though you enjoyed it

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Just saw Pirates. The first is one of my favorite films but the rest of them sucked rear end. Going into this one I didn't have a high expectation at all but I gotta say it was pretty great. It gets closest in tone to the first than any of the other ones. Definitely a good summer flick.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 27, 2017

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Phylodox posted:

It's patently absurd, of course, but Depp can't very well just come out and say, "I can't fight a woman onscreen because I'm an accused wife beater," so it'll have to do. I don't even think anyone is supposed to take that excuse seriously. We all know why he can't beat up a woman in the new Pirates movie, but he has to at least pretend we don't.

Wasn't it filmed way before all that came out? And his veto would have come before filming even started, so it doesn't seem like it could have been because he wanted to avoid any extra controversy, he just didn't want a female villain for some reason (misogyny).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

People complained about the Kraken dying offscreen between movies but at least that kind of worked with the whole "magic is dying, we're approaching the modern age, there's no place for men like us anymore" theme they were going for, the wet fart of a final naval battle was what really disappointed me.

"Magic is dying", next movie: "let's fight a literal pirate-wizard!"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You kidding? It was a crap movie by any objective metric, but as far as pure enjoyment goes, very little this year has beaten it.

I dunno, saw it last Thursday with some friends and the consensus amongst us was that it was kinda bad to awful.
In our case it was just so overall bad that it didn't really roll over to being funny for us. v:shobon:v

I had no idea there was a sequel (or another one) to Detective Dee and the Phantom Flame in post-production. If anything the first movie was really good and I need to check out the rest of them.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm baffled by the knowledge that World war Z 2 is going to be a thing. :psyduck:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

More like World WAr ZZzzzzzZZZzzzzz

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

I'm baffled by the knowledge that World war Z 2 is going to be a thing. :psyduck:

First movie was a surprise hit.

Also the sequel is directed by David Fincher.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I have a lot of legitimate love for Pirates 1. It works for me in every way, from the light slapstick and call backs to the ride. Even bland as hell Will Turner grew in me.

The sequel was okay. The sword fight focus of 2 was a nice choice and the Kraken and Davey Jones were visually great and properly menacing.

3 was, as mentioned, a terrible shart because all the setup and promise of the Kraken and big ship melee was dropped (due to time, budget, a choice?). I literally can't recall Pirates 4, despite having seen it.

Pirates 5 is better than 3 if only because they one up the ridiculous Looney Tunes of Fast Five by substituting two sports cars with horse power in the hundreds to do the same gag with literally 10 horsepower. It sort of feels like a Fast and Furious cross with National Treasure and a Pirates reskin. It's too lazy with moving groups of characters around and Depp is kind of bad, but other than that, it's fun enough for a ticket.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Ape Agitator posted:

3 was, as mentioned, a terrible shart because all the setup and promise of the Kraken and big ship melee was dropped (due to time, budget, a choice?). I literally can't recall Pirates 4, despite having seen it.

I think the problem with 3 was they got so caught up with the HUGE, EPIC FINAL BOSS FIGHT that they either forgot about everything else or didn't think it was important enough to warrant that kind of effort. The whirlpool fight has so much poo poo going on in it but everything else just feels like an afterthought.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ape Agitator posted:

Choice is the most likely/reasonable answer. Both films were shot back to back.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The maelstrom fight in POTC3 is one of the dumbest things ever put on film.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Casimir Radon posted:

The maelstrom fight in POTC3 is one of the dumbest things ever put on film.

Still pretty metal though. :black101:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

Still pretty metal though. :black101:

It was just good business:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pirates 1 is a legit good movie. Basically after that the franchise takes a nosedive once you get about halfway through the second.

So Baywatch is DOA at the box office this weekend and is only going to bring in around $21 million which is pretty low for a movie with The Rock in it. Meanwhile Pirates 5 is looking at about a $75 mil weekend.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-pirates-of-the-caribbean-baywatch-2-1202446564/

• Locked thread