Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Any Republican that sends thoughts and prayers for that can gently caress him or herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Peven Stan posted:

In my city democrats have mismanaged things for decades. They also run a machine political operation where all candidates are carefully vetted for loyalty to the local party organization and/or major donors to the party.

For example, the alderwoman in my ward became the mayor so they are going to have a special election. The ward party committee had a backroom session to pick the candidate and decided to go with a young hedge fund manager who is up and coming in city politics.

The only hitch was that she's been living in the city only for 1.5 years when you need to be a resident for 3 to stand for election. They literally broke their own laws to get her on the ballot and had to scramble at the last minute to pick a new one.

Compare this rigid machine bullshit to how local republican committees operate, which is let any dittohead show up and run for office. As long as they put in the effort of campaigning they can win. It results in the GOP having a reliable farm system for candidates to spread their filth views everywhere vs. the democrats being reliant on big city machines to produce candidates of dubious quality and merit.

4th ward has good bars tho

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Xae posted:

There was an NPR interview with one of McMasters friends. They were in the same West Point class together decades ago and have been friends ever since.

The friend said that is what is happening. McMasters is slowly sacrificing his own legacy and credibility to keep Trump from jumping the country off the deep end.

We just have to hope that McMaster can channel his inner Jack Ryan if Trump wants to nuke some place and can prevent it (see: The Sum of All Fear).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

White Supremacist Mr Christian

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Republicans need to call it what it is: radical right wing terrorism.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DaveWoo posted:

Man, it's embarrassing to see a respected military guy like McMaster shred his own reputation by making excuses for Trump:

https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/868459645928656896

SECURE communications does not mean DISCREET.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 27, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nerdz posted:

I don't know if it's because of the current time, but all of these last few tweets with damning news have like zero trump supporters in them. It really feels like his online support is getting tired and dying down. it really is a lot easier to attack than to defend.

It seemed really obvious even at the time that "online communities" for trump were largely manufactured astroturfing. Both really astroturfing where like russian chat bots were literally spamming twitter. But also that weird internet age phenomenon where a small number of people can dominate a forum in an organized and outsized way by seeming like a lot of people in a way where they aren't paid by anyone so it's weird to call it astroturfing but it's also a manufactured fake thing.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Was Obama selling out to Iran having secret communications with the regime when brokering the nuclear deal?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

happyhippy posted:

SECURE communications does not mean DISCREET.

I'm just picturing Jared running back and forth huffing and puffing between the Russian Embassy and the White House as Trump relays messages :allears:

Xae posted:

There was an NPR interview with one of McMasters friends. They were in the same West Point class together decades ago and have been friends ever since.

The friend said that is what is happening. McMasters is slowly sacrificing his own legacy and credibility to keep Trump from jumping the country off the deep end.

On the other hand, NPR also had on a journalist who discussed the Trump administration on Fresh Air, and, when asked why the hell McMasters was suddenly making all these public excuses for the administration, recalled when they wrote an article all about McMasters as his star rose. The article was glowing on the subject of McMasters and his military unit and had nothing but nice things to say. McMasters called up the journo after the piece came out and absolutely chewed them out because the piece said things in his unit weren't great before he got there and shaped things up.

The journalist concluded that McMasters hates when anything he's affiliated with is made to look bad, and that he'll totally defend its honor for no other reason besides that he's affiliated with it.

In short, it's just as likely that McMasters is slowly sacrificing his own legacy and credibility as a matter of stupid and misguided honor/loyalty as it is that he's selflessly just trying to help the country. Could even be both.

It's also worthy to note the sheer number of powerful, even smart people who have jumped on the USS Trumptanic over the past year or so only to find themselves in swiftly sinking lifeboats because they thought they could ride Trump's coattails. I don't think riding coattails was McMasters' motive, but exactly why you're Trump's pawn or how smart or strategic and how much of a "warrior-monk" :barf: you are doesn't loving matter. At the end of the day, you're just a piece on the board, and you'll be sacrificed long before any of Trump's pets.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 27, 2017

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Xae posted:

I didn't hear this interview. I see the part where McMasters is sacrificing his reputation and credibility. I fail to see how it in any way helps the country or does anything but enable Trump.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It seemed really obvious even at the time that "online communities" for trump were largely manufactured astroturfing. Both really astroturfing where like russian chat bots were literally spamming twitter. But also that weird internet age phenomenon where a small number of people can dominate a forum in an organized and outsized way by seeming like a lot of people in a way where they aren't paid by anyone so it's weird to call it astroturfing but it's also a manufactured fake thing.

I'm actually a Chinese bot thank you.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zwabu posted:

I didn't hear this interview. I see the part where McMasters is sacrificing his reputation and credibility. I fail to see how it in any way helps the country or does anything but enable Trump.

Stability, even under the Cheeto Nazi, is preferable to the chaos of purging the government of traitors. At least I think that's his angle. He's full of poo poo obviously.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
He thinks anyone who doesn't follow "Christ's message of love, charity, and forgiveness" should be shoved into ovens and burned alive... I get a headache just trying to imagine how one person could think both of those things, and this guy fit them together into one sentence like it was nothing.

Potato Salad posted:

White Supremacist Mr Christian
Yet another thing in 2017's long line of items that would be too stupid and/or on-the-nose to write into a fictional story.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Wasn't McMaster effectively ordered to join the Trump administration, since he was active duty?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Wasn't McMaster effectively ordered to join the Trump administration, since he was active duty?

no, jesus loving christ an officer cannot be ordered to resign and take up a specific civilian job why would you even i what huh what

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I'm curious where Europe goes from here. The USA is clearly unreliable as a partner, as Trump and a good majority of the GOP would rather slobber the dicks of such fantastic nations like the KSA and Russia.

In a post Brexit-Trump world, what does Europe do? The USA can't be relied upon as our political leadership is a loving joke. Russia is an existential threat again. AND you can expect more refugees as Africa/Middle-East continue to suffer from the effects of climate change, terrorism, and years of lovely leadership.

The good news is, the European voting system isn't as moronic as the USA's, so Greet Wilder's and Le Pen didn't win and it looks like Merkel will continue on in Germany. Does Europe reform the EU? Do they begin to re-do NATO as less of a North American alliance and a more mainlaind Euro-Centric one? The next decade will be interesting as the political alliances we have grown used to since the Cold War era fall apart and reform.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not just that - they're straight up not reporting the biggest political story/stories going on right now. you can't survive just ignoring that poo poo.

on john oliver they showed some fox news psycho reporting it was a whole lot of nothing but then two days later some more poo poo leaked out and he's like yeah poo poo is happening. it gets to a point where spin is impossible even for these nut jobs.

i really don't understand the constant self owning. if you want to survive you have to act like it didn't happen there's really no way to actually spin it. why the gently caress confirm it.

i want to believe it's basically 'blink twice if there is russian colusion' and mcmaster is tying to stay in his seat while keeping trump from nuking anyone, but the more likely scenario is that someone ghostwrote his book and he's actually scum

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Lieutenant, your country thanks you for your service. Please report to the Cinnabon in Spokane, WA, where you will serve out the remainder of your commission.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Charliegrs posted:

Holy poo poo America has a lot of nihilists

Ve cut off your johnson, Kushner!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When r/The_Donald was first created, I remember thinking it was ironic. At what point did it become alt-right central?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Josh Lyman posted:

When r/The_Donald was first created, I remember thinking it was ironic. At what point did it become alt-right central?

Irony is the devils brain trap.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

DaveWoo posted:

Man, it's embarrassing to see a respected military guy like McMaster shred his own reputation by making excuses for Trump:

https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/868459645928656896

What good does discreet back channels do if the President is going to boast about anything discussed at the first opportunity?

Also for a government that runs off of "Not really but really" bribes that this Russia stuff is too corrupt for them to cover. God, politics has made me so cynical.

Josh Lyman posted:

If it was ironic at first then the same thing happened to it as 4chan's ironic love of MLP. When reality mirrors parody.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm curious where Europe goes from here. The USA is clearly unreliable as a partner, as Trump and a good majority of the GOP would rather slobber the dicks of such fantastic nations like the KSA and Russia.

In a post Brexit-Trump world, what does Europe do? The USA can't be relied upon as our political leadership is a loving joke. Russia is an existential threat again. AND you can expect more refugees as Africa/Middle-East continue to suffer from the effects of climate change, terrorism, and years of lovely leadership.

The good news is, the European voting system isn't as moronic as the USA's, so Greet Wilder's and Le Pen didn't win and it looks like Merkel will continue on in Germany. Does Europe reform the EU? Do they begin to re-do NATO as less of a North American alliance and a more mainlaind Euro-Centric one? The next decade will be interesting as the political alliances we have grown used to since the Cold War era fall apart and reform.

There was an article in Macleans that read like some lunatic's fever dream, where Scotland would separate from the UK after Brexit, then join Canada, and the resulting country would then join the EU. It seemed pretty deranged at the time, but maybe just because everything is so bizarre now, it seems like something that could actually happen and might not be a terrible idea.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't think there has ever been a single thing on the internet that considered itself "ironic" that wasn't basically just that actual thing past a day or two.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember it exploding in popularity around the time the Republican race went down to him, Cruz, and Kasich.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Seemed about a month after it started. I remember it starting out seeming like a joke on Trump and then became true believers.

It was like when people started saying Murica making fun of US nationalism and within a few months actual nationalists were using it unironically.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

skylined! posted:

i want to believe it's basically 'blink twice if there is russian colusion' and mcmaster is tying to stay in his seat while keeping trump from nuking anyone, but the more likely scenario is that someone ghostwrote his book and he's actually scum

It was written as part of his PhD program. I think he wrote the book, it's just that it's easier to critique in theory than it is to do in practice — and that the critiques that he put forward didn't necessitate public criticism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

PT6A posted:

There was an article in Macleans that read like some lunatic's fever dream, where Scotland would separate from the UK after Brexit, then join Canada, and the resulting country would then join the EU. It seemed pretty deranged at the time, but maybe just because everything is so bizarre now, it seems like something that could actually happen and might not be a terrible idea.

Canada should definitely be in Eurovision.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Willie Tomg posted:

no, jesus loving christ an officer cannot be ordered to resign and take up a specific civilian job why would you even i what huh what

He's still active duty. NSA isn't civilian as such.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/868482621671489536

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Willie Tomg posted:

Willie Tomg posted:

Lieutenant, your country thanks you for your service. Please report to the Cinnabon in Spokane, WA, where you will serve out the remainder of your commission.

McMaster is still on active duty:
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-02-20/general-h-r-mcmaster-tapped-as-u-s-national-security-adviser
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mcmaster-senate-confirmation-star-general/story?id=45640246

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

"I just had a tremendous discussion with Prime Mister Justin Bieber" - Trump, probably.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I like that he's upset with Germany now over some nonsense so he seems to have forgotten to be pissed off at Canada over whatever nonsense he was upset about a few weeks ago.

Christ he's a loving idiot.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

I like that he's upset with Germany now over some nonsense so he seems to have forgotten to be pissed off at Canada over whatever nonsense he was upset about a few weeks ago.

Christ he's a loving idiot.

He said it was over trade because he still doesn't understand you can't do a trade deal with only Germany.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
welp

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 27, 2017

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
gently caress mixed up mattis and mcmaster.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ularg posted:

"I just had a tremendous discussion with Prime Mister Justin Bieber" - Trump, probably.

I seriously think Trump couldn't remember Justin Trudeau's last name there.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Burt Buckle posted:

I've seen confederate flags flying in Maine.

Pages back, but I've seen them in Newfoundland. :shrug:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

dont be fooled by the maple syrup that i got

i'm just justin from canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

Kim Dotcom promised evidence then couldn't produce any, every initial source claiming to have information on Seth Rich has since recanted. I'm about as concerned about Seth Rich's murder being more than a mugging as I am about Apollo 11 not having actually visited the moon.

More specifically:

Kim Dotcom sent a malicious link to Seth Rich's e-mail in an attempt to gain access to the e-mail account so that he could forge an e-mail that makes it look like Seth was working with Wikileaks/was assassinated.

As he did this, he contacted Hannity promising he'll have something in the next few days.

He was fully confident that when Seth Rich's dad checked his son's e-mail, he'd click on that link. Seth Rich's dad never did.

So, Kim got nothing.

• Locked thread