Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DLC Inc posted:

it was day 1 of a 1hour stress test, chill

*Posts opinion about how I think ARMS won't sell well, but that I'm still buying it because despite short playtime I can see the positive's regardless*

"LOL, CHILL OUT MAN"

I'm not calling the game a dumpster fire, maybe you need to relax? I could be totally wrong too, that's just how opinion works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly surprised they can pull off those moves with these poo poo controls I want my money back

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

Honestly surprised they can pull off those moves with these poo poo controls I want my money back

I'm going to take all of your money and jump in a volcano.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Give me an example of a popular game that doesn't have skill tiers and doesn't use matchmaking or other systems to make it still enjoyable for everyone. Ever join a shooter like BF1 a few weeks after release? How'd that go? But in time you get better.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
ARMS is fun if you have friends which is probably why a lot of goons didn't enjoy it

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Arms was mediocre, sorry to say

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just like my posting

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't like the extremely limited test punch since I won't be able to try it out at all.

I'm definitely not buying ARMS without being able to try it either since I usually don't like these types of games.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 27, 2017

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Couldn't play as Twinelle in demo 0/10 will not buy.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I thought someone said there was a toilet guy, I didn't see a toilet guy. Very disappointing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rank matches are in rooms so you could theoretically cheese the rankings wtf

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ARMS seems like an alright fighting game but it's coming out during a time when there's a ton of good fighting games dropping (i.e. Injustice 2, Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, Tekken 7) and in the near future there's some potentially hot ones coming (Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Gundam Versus, Fire Pro Wrestling World) and I just can't justify this to myself right now when I've already got Tekken 7 on the way. I'll probably pick it up way down the line when I need a Nintendo injection.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Arms was mediocre, sorry to say

it's not good and really doesn't deserve the breathless praise it's getting

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Give me an example of a popular game that doesn't have skill tiers and doesn't use matchmaking or other systems to make it still enjoyable for everyone. Ever join a shooter like BF1 a few weeks after release? How'd that go? But in time you get better.

I did give an example of how a Nintendo game had an easier entry?

Splatoon. I bought that game months after it came out. I wasn't that great at first, but with the team system in place, you had a lot more chances to screw up and still learn the game because you could see what your teammates did and also had some more breathing room to figure out mistakes. Even if you totally sucked, you'd still win games here or there. Getting better meant you won more. This also meant things could go the other way and no matter how good you were you could lose if everyone else sucked, but it was still fun.

I just think the 1vs1 nature of fighting games means that people who easily get discouraged aren't going to stick it out because there's no fun in playing something if you just lose 24/7. I have a boardgame called Quantum I played with friends. I won all 5 games we've played so far. Guess what boardgame they don't really feel like playing when I bring stuff over anymore? They'd rather play another game they as much fun with, but that I lose a lot at too because then it's fun for everyone.

Again, I'm not calling ARMS a bad game, at all. No need for people to get super defensive, I just don't think as an example, that all the people who bought the Switch at my work are going to be into this game. They had a Mario Kart tournament and played it at 100cc. That kind of crowd isn't going to be playing ARMS I think.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

it's not good and really doesn't deserve the breathless praise it's getting

We get it, chill the gently caress out.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How can one system not have a single good dpad over four controllers

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ARMS has modes other than 1v1. I got carried a few times in a 2v2 and there are also brawl modes with every man for himself.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

you seem like the one getting irrationally angry and cursing over someone saying a punch man game is not good :shrug:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ometeotl posted:

???? he didnt seem mad or anything

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's more the barrage of your bad "this game is objectively bad and if you disagree you are wrong" posts. I haven't even played the Testpunch yet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Maybe you should so you can see how bad and not good it is.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

DoctorWhat posted:

local multiplayer my dude

if you've never gotten together with 3 friends in the same room and hunted mons for hours, you're missing out

jyrque posted:

Monster Hunter also fits very well in daily commute as missions average at about 15 minutes so you can hunt a beast while taking the bus/train easily.

In Japan you also have dudes hang out at cafes and whatever just gaming with strangers so it makes more sense there.

So, multiplayer (with friends or total strangers) and the length of the hunts are reasons Monster hunter is better on a portable system?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

It's more the barrage of your bad "this game is objectively bad and if you disagree you are wrong" posts. I haven't even played the Testpunch yet.

I think actually he was giving a mature and reasonable opinion and mature discourse is something to be lauded and encouraged, imho

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Wheany posted:

So, multiplayer (with friends or total strangers) and the length of the hunts are reasons Monster hunter is better on a portable system?

Yes?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I think all games are better on a portable system because I like playing games on portables

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I think actually he was giving a mature and reasonable opinion and mature discourse is something to be lauded and encouraged, imho

He talks about 1v1 is his opinion but there are other modes so I wouldn't go as far as to say well reasoned. It also ignored the potential for effective match making, which doesn't occur when your finding board game opponents.

There are more issues as well. Board games, especially in depth and competitive games are selling more and being made more than ever before. If the experience of these games were losing a lot and quitting in frustration this wouldn't be the case.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 27, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Black Stones posted:

Splatoon. I bought that game months after it came out. I wasn't that great at first, but with the team system in place, you had a lot more chances to screw up and still learn the game because you could see what your teammates did and also had some more breathing room to figure out mistakes. Even if you totally sucked, you'd still win games here or there. Getting better meant you won more. This also meant things could go the other way and no matter how good you were you could lose if everyone else sucked, but it was still fun.

Exactly this. Even if you don't contribute at all, a team being down one player is a lot less severe in a 5-person team than when playing 1v1

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mace Bacon posted:

Couldn't play as Twinelle in demo 0/10 will not buy.

This is the real problem, Helix doesn't have that booty.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah the classic Nintendo fan "don't insult our games" reaction

Ometeotl posted:

Why are you so mad this game is bad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you play a 1 on 1 fighting game online and expect not to be destroyed until you learn how to play properly it the problem is you not the game

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yo if my PC monitor has only VGA, DVI-D and DisplayPort adaptors whats the best way of getting my Switch to display on it. I tried a basic HMDI-to-DisplayPort adaptor (this one) but it didn't work because you need a special super-expensive type apparently.

Anyone else ran into this? Whats the cheapest solution?

edit: Just realised can't be the DVI-D one since that one has my PC signal. So either VGA or DisplayPort.

edit2: Youtube says what I want is HDMI-to-VGA with an audio adaptor, giving this a shot.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 27, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zelder posted:

All these "I lost in this brand new fighting game, I don't like this game" posts kinda bum me out

Edit: obviously no one should feel obligated to play if they're not having fun, it's just a sad reminder why fighting games aren't as big as I'd like

just more fuel for the scrubquotes twitter account

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

"I really don't think Counterstrike is going to make it. I tried the Global Test Cyka Blyat and when you die you have to wait until the end of the round. Players with sniper rifles camp and kill everyone with little experience with the shooter genre. Frankly only games like Doom will survive."

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
ARMS was fun last night and I'm looking forward to playing more tonight. Cheers, goons

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I played ARMS

I enjoyed playing ARMS

I think ARMS is probably good

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

XyrlocShammypants posted:

ARMS has modes other than 1v1. I got carried a few times in a 2v2 and there are also brawl modes with every man for himself.

The 2vs2 I got creamed in the couple of times it happened. I have no idea why. I'd do some damage, but every time the other team was at full health or just damaged a little. I'm hoping at full retail release that I can play around with that a little more because I'm not sure if the tethering system effects damage at all.

I never had a 4 man brawl, always 3 mans and they sucked. If I punched one person, the other now not getting punched would just rocket his fist up my rear end in a top hat. It was the worst.

That being said, I really want to try a test punch with the pro controller because I think my problem for a bit was motion controls. It never blocked right for me, I would move my controllers in and then it would punch for some reason. So I have a feeling that perhaps some of my negative experience is dictated on the fact that motion controls still aren't 100% responsive.

Also, with the matchmaking, it was awful. Everyone would be floating around and I'd see somebody with 0-4 points compared to my 1-3 points and instead of getting paired with them. I'd get the person with 50 points. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean I'm getting paired with someone who's been playing for a while? Why not pair me up with the low point person. Maybe they left the lobby and came back, but there's a higher chance it means they're also new?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Gorgolflox posted:

I thought someone said there was a toilet guy, I didn't see a toilet guy. Very disappointing.

Look in the mirror

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Matchmaking isn't on during the global test punch, it's just lobby based matching among 8 players

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

goddamn, sorry for mentioning I thought ARMS was good but not for me. Didn't realise it'd turn into a slapfight not unlike the game itself !!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

The 2vs2 I got creamed in the couple of times it happened. I have no idea why. I'd do some damage, but every time the other team was at full health or just damaged a little. I'm hoping at full retail release that I can play around with that a little more because I'm not sure if the tethering system effects damage at all.

I never had a 4 man brawl, always 3 mans and they sucked. If I punched one person, the other now not getting punched would just rocket his fist up my rear end in a top hat. It was the worst.

That being said, I really want to try a test punch with the pro controller because I think my problem for a bit was motion controls. It never blocked right for me, I would move my controllers in and then it would punch for some reason. So I have a feeling that perhaps some of my negative experience is dictated on the fact that motion controls still aren't 100% responsive.

Also, with the matchmaking, it was awful. Everyone would be floating around and I'd see somebody with 0-4 points compared to my 1-3 points and instead of getting paired with them. I'd get the person with 50 points. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean I'm getting paired with someone who's been playing for a while? Why not pair me up with the low point person. Maybe they left the lobby and came back, but there's a higher chance it means they're also new?

Well in this demo, playing for a while just means they've been playing in that lobby for about 40 minutes. Actual competitive mode will have ranks and match making based on that.

well why not posted:

goddamn, sorry for mentioning I thought ARMS was good but not for me. Didn't realise it'd turn into a slapfight not unlike the game itself !!

I... don't think anyone is talking about your post?

• Locked thread