Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Well I don't really see how a portable system does multiplayer any better than a non-portable one does, except if you want to punch the other players irl.

I also think that the length of the hunts is irrelevant to the game being better on one system versus another, except I get that it's a pain having to suspend in the middle of a hunt when you get to work or whatever. But if 15-minute missions are good on portable, they are probably good on a non-portable system too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Wheany posted:

Well I don't really see how a portable system does multiplayer any better than a non-portable one does, except if you want to punch the other players irl.

I also think that the length of the hunts is irrelevant to the game being better on one system versus another, except I get that it's a pain having to suspend in the middle of a hunt when you get to work or whatever. But if 15-minute missions are good on portable, they are probably good on a non-portable system too.

It does it differently. You can bring it with you and play with your friends at the coffee shop. The fact that a hunt lasts slightly less than your train commute means you can hunt during your train or bus ride and then go to work or school or home.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I like everything about ARMS except for the past where it's a really slow fighting game

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Good characters and presentation, just make it a different game!!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Monster Hunter went portable because everyone in Japan lives in a 15 by 15 inch cube and they don't have a place to sit and play in their homes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wheany posted:

yeah it's much better because you can bring systems to each other's houses, workplaces, bars, parties (rooftop or otherwise) etc without lugging a crate's worth of poo poo. you can also play versus Puyo Puyo on the train or bus which basically owns.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hace posted:

The graphics and sound are so top-notch. It's so colourful and fluid. That UI is great, too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually I think it's worse because no one has a solid connection compared to a hard wire especially in twitch based games

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Zelder posted:

Well in this demo, playing for a while just means they've been playing in that lobby for about 40 minutes. Actual competitive mode will have ranks and match making based on that.

That will definitely help out.

I really want to try a test punch again, but I have a wedding to go to today, so tomorrow is only time I can try again. I kinda wish they would open it for 2-3 hours at a time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gonna freak some people out right now but I gotta say it.

It is my opinion that ARMS is a video game.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Actually I think it's worse because no one has a solid connection compared to a hard wire especially in twitch based games

every single one of your posts is a goddamn bummer or killjoy

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm gonna buy arms when they port it to the 2ds xl

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ARMS just makes me want Gundam Versus even more

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

well why not posted:

yeah it's much better because you can bring systems to each other's houses, workplaces, bars, parties (rooftop or otherwise) etc without lugging a crate's worth of poo poo. you can also play versus Puyo Puyo on the train or bus which basically owns.

Sure you can but I think a pretty big majority of multiplayer gaming happens over the internet these days anyway which means you don't have to lug anything anywhere.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Infinitum posted:

ARMS just makes me want Gundam Versus even more

:yeah:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well why not posted:

every single one of your posts is a goddamn bummer or killjoy

Sorry I'm being realistic? A hardware is always better than any wifi connection EVER

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hace posted:

Its not a fighting game. Its basically virtual on.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Sorry I'm being realistic? A hardware is always better than any wifi connection EVER

You can connect your device to the internet by cord, rather than wifi. Minds blown.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XyrlocShammypants posted:

You can connect your device to the internet by cord, rather than wifi. Minds blown.

Then it's not portable...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Then it's not portable...

What? So a laptop isn't portable?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

well why not posted:

goddamn, sorry for mentioning I thought ARMS was good but not for me. Didn't realise it'd turn into a slapfight not unlike the game itself !!

don't apologize for speaking truth about an Objectively Bad Game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why do people always get so loving weird in the switch thread?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are you arguing? You literally can't have the Ethernet plugged in and switch in portable at the same time. Same with a laptop. A wired connection is better than a wifi. You don't see pro Dota or pro CS players playing on wifi.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Andrast posted:

Its because Nintendo is dead!!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

What are you arguing? You literally can't have the Ethernet plugged in and switch in portable at the same time. Same with a laptop. A wired connection is better than a wifi. You don't see pro Dota or pro CS players playing on wifi.

Regular people who aren't pros play Dota on wifi all the time. Who loving cares about idiot pros.

You know what else pros do? Refuse to play on Bluetooth devices, play with super high end machines, sometimes wear silly glasses and sit their dainty asses on expensive gaming chairs. What does that matter at all to normal people

Most portable devices other than phones have plugged in modes. That the Switch allows for the pro controller and switch itself to be grounded or wifi is a plus and doesn't take away from its portability.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 27, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Its not a fighting game. Its basically virtual on.

please stop comparing a Good Game with one that people are already getting tribal about despite only playing it for at most 2 hours

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Andrast posted:

Because Nintendo is my favorite corporation.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

please stop comparing a Good Game with one that people are already getting tribal about despite only playing it for at most 2 hours

That's a mean thing to say about Virtual On.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Regular people who aren't pros play Dota on wifi all the time. Who loving cares about idiot pros.

Regular people don't play dota

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Dota would be perfect on the switch

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Zelder posted:

Regular people don't play dota

True

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Regular people don't have the right to determine what's best in a multiplayer game. No one asks some random person to do the tier lists in Street Fighter they ask the pros.

TomVanDam
Apr 25, 2010
I'm kinda digging arms, the controls are taking some getting used to and only being able to practice on real people is making that take longer than usual. The same question remains though. Does Arms have legs? (Im so sorry if that jokes been made so much it makes people hate me)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

4 inch cut no femmes posted:

Then again, what game wouldn't be :thunk:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Arms is actually good. Sorry you are bad at video games?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

well why not posted:

goddamn, sorry for mentioning I thought ARMS was good but not for me. Didn't realise it'd turn into a slapfight not unlike the game itself !!

Don't give yourself that much credit. :) The friction stems from low-content repeat drive-by neggers.

It's annoying but that's their gimmick here so I just kind of tune it out. I figure they want the rise anyway, so why accommodate?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

TomVanDam posted:

I'm kinda digging arms, the controls are taking some getting used to and only being able to practice on real people is making that take longer than usual. The same question remains though. Does Arms have legs? (Im so sorry if that jokes been made so much it makes people hate me)

after seeing all the free content they added to splatoon over the life of the game, i am confident that if you like the core gameplay there will be plenty more for you to enjoy over the lifespan of the game

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Arms is actually good. Sorry you are bad at video games?

it's not actually. thankfully the circlejerk will be short since the new Best Game Ever comes out shortly after

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

4 inch cut no femmes posted:

Dota with the diablo 3 analog movement on consoles would make so many dumb people upset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

it's not actually. thankfully the circlejerk will be short since the new Best Game Ever comes out shortly after

i don't think they've announced a release date for that golf rpg yet

• Locked thread