Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

s.i.r.e. posted:

I took a break from the game to play other things and I'm getting back into it just to finish it up and get it off my hard drive but I'm running into the issue I had before with the combat being horseshit and making the game a chore. Should I just bump it down to Easy and put everything into powering up my guns so I can just destroy everything quickly? Is there an OP weapon I can raze the whole game with?

Go to the Beam and Wave lab in Hardware and get ye Q-Beam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
I finally beat the game and screwed around at the end to get the various endings. What a ride! At about 29 hours, the game's length felt just right, and so far this has been my favorite game this year.

Disclaimer: I haven't gotten around to beating Zelda or Horizon, and I haven't even cracked Nier or Nioh.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks the patch finally hit Xbox.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dogen posted:

Stealth+security weapon boost+sneak attack boost+shotgun for typhon, upgraded stun gun for robots, q beam for the bigger typhon.
Upgrade the stun gun ASAP for everything, then use whatever. A fully upgraded gold pistol + sec. weapons boost was a better weapon for me against the Nightmare than the Q-beam for awhile, and it was far better against enemies I could stun.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Q-beam wasn't very good against the Nightmare for me. Bullets deleted it though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Fully upgraded Q beam wrecks it as well as anything and you start to have quite the surplus of cells toward the end of the game

I use the pistol to finish things off but it feels like the resource:damage ratio is poor compared to any other weapon

Dogen fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 27, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Q-beam is good against technopaths and telepaths, since going up close can be a pain, especially in space.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blattdorf posted:

Q-beam is good against technopaths and telepaths, since going up close can be a pain, especially in space.

Stun gun with improved range :eng101:

Because it's such an enemy specific weapon you'll never be short of ammo when you need it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I decided to go on a spacewalk outside the Cargo Bay to recover the fabricator schematics for the auto-turret earlier than the game wants me. I can't find the breach. Does the breach only appear after I go into Deep Storage?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Blattdorf posted:

The Q-beam is awful because you need to stay exposed for too long while the energy builds up on the target. Use the disruptor gun instead, or Psychoshock.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Blattdorf posted:

Weavers too, IIRC

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kurzon posted:

I decided to go on a spacewalk outside the Cargo Bay to recover the fabricator schematics for the auto-turret earlier than the game wants me. I can't find the breach. Does the breach only appear after I go into Deep Storage?

No idea but I'm wondering why you would want to craft turrets at all. Sounds like a waste of those sweet precious minerals but if you want to drown the lobby in an ocean of them or something, go nuts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kurzon posted:

iirc yes, you can hear the explosion and the ground shakes when it happens.

edit: Speaking of, that's one of two of the effects I absolutely love. Occasionally the ground will just rumble, and you know that's a real bad thing because you're in space. The other is that creepy ominous droning you hear sometimes when you're out spacewalking. What even is that noise?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 27, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing I never figured out is when you're near the G.U.T.S. Entrance in the Arboretum is you can clearly hear a Typhon of some type thumping about in the ceiling and walls. Is there some way to go flush the fucker out, or is it just permanently tantrumming about in there out of sight?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Kurzon posted:

The Q-beam is awful because you need to stay exposed for too long while the energy builds up on the target. Use the disruptor gun instead, or Psychoshock.

That's why you use nullwave or psychoshock and then pop combat focus so you can maximise the time you get to enjoy them frying to a crisp. :science:

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Jawnycat posted:

Not sure if this is based on gender, but all my male Yu runs have had January's comment after killing the head of hardware labs's phantom be "They don't seem to have liked you" while my current female Yu run got something along the lines of "They seemed to admire you - unfortunate".

You just reminded me of something. I killed the phantom and got "They seemed to admire you - unfortunate.". So I wondered if I could do something besides killing it and reloaded my quick save.
I couldn't find anything to do besides killing it, so I killed it and got "They don't seem to have liked you".

Edit:

Dogen posted:

It's random. I've had both when I died and had to go back through that part.

Mongolian Queef fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 27, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
since i've used enough mods to get turrets to target me which of the damage ones are particularly good? i've got psychoshock and the telekinesis and the biological/machine controls that come from those. Are the suit upgrades randomised like the bone charms in dishonoured just i've got lower psi use for general use and telepathy. Do all the weapons have better versions from a quest or just the pistol and are there many more weapons after the Shotgun/q beam?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Electroshock does tons of damage to machines and stuns machines and organics which lets you deal more damage with other weapons. Definitely pick that one up and upgrade it to max. That, psychoshock and the mind controls should make every encounter trivial

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What's the best way to get mineral material because i never have enough

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jose posted:

Throw Recycler Charges into storage rooms with all those useless machines and things.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jose posted:

Recycle all your extra booze and guns a nd spare parts and suit repair kits and psi hypos and foods with nonorganic components and all your extra qbeam ammo.

Also create scrap piles and drag everything in an area into them and usr a recyclet grenade, usually good for like six mats or so.

You have Dismantle right?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I have dismantle but ive been recycling weapons instead of dismantling them

I never get much more than a 1.00 mineral material from recycle grenades.

I'm very aggressive at recycling anything that had mineral material.in it. Wish you could swap the typed somewhere

Jose fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 27, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hello this is very good and fun

but the music, or lack of it, kinda sucks. what is up with that? I have it turned up but it's all just atmospheric aliens chirping or whatever?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You can swap organic material with exotic..

By turning a body into a phantom, then murdering it :gibs:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the game is pretty stingy with the amoun of psi mods you can get before turrents target you

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jose posted:

since i've used enough mods to get turrets to target me which of the damage ones are particularly good? i've got psychoshock and the telekinesis and the biological/machine controls that come from those. Are the suit upgrades randomised like the bone charms in dishonoured just i've got lower psi use for general use and telepathy. Do all the weapons have better versions from a quest or just the pistol and are there many more weapons after the Shotgun/q beam?
Psychoshock and the mind controls are pretty much the best in class abilities and will be easily enough to carry you though throughout the game if you're not relying on psi for your damage entirely. If you are, you might as well grab each of them since eventually your main barrier to psi spam is cooldowns rather than psi. Do the psychic water quest ASAP. Chipsets are randomized, yes. The only weapon that has a better version is the golden pistol since the golden shotgun is both a preorder bonus and statistically identical to the shotgun. Your weapons are limited to the wrench, GLOO, stun gun, pistol, shotgun, Q-beam, and grenades (lure, recycler, EMP, and nullwave).

GlyphGryph posted:

Electroshock does tons of damage to machines and stuns machines and organics which lets you deal more damage with other weapons. Definitely pick that one up and upgrade it to max. That, psychoshock and the mind controls should make every encounter trivial
I have a stun gun for this, but I guess I need something else to spend my massive collection of neuromods on. I've maxed out every engineer skill except for the wrench buffs, a good chunk of security, a decent amount of scientist, and some psi dabbling.

Jose posted:

the game is pretty stingy with the amoun of psi mods you can get before turrets target you
Honestly, its not bad. You can get psychoshock and mindjack without triggering it, and that's two of the best three Typhon abilities. Doesn't give you much to play with, but enough. And if you do decide to play with powers, its not like the turrets attacking you is a huge deal since you can just grab Machine Mind or melt them with a stun gun. Seriously, that little gun is the most useful item in the game and a fully upgraded one is probably what I'd miss most if I do a Typhon-only or mod-free run.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Am i making a mistake crafting neuromods whenever i've the resources for it?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jose posted:

The only time you might want to hold off on crafting neuromods is if you're low on shotgun or pistol ammo and need the resources for those instead. Otherwise, craft as many as you can at each fabricator you see.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Jose posted:

not at all. keep on plugging transhumanism straight into your eyehole

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jose posted:

As long as you have enough resources (ammo, medkits, psi-hypos, whatever it is you use) to deal with whatever enemies you meet, you can safety convert all excess resources into skill points.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Tony Montana posted:

hello this is very good and fun

but the music, or lack of it, kinda sucks. what is up with that? I have it turned up but it's all just atmospheric aliens chirping or whatever?

The music is kept pretty low because it's very helpful to hear the typhon near you. I think they also tuned it down from the original because people complained after playing the demo that it was pretty overpowering. A lot of it is also atmospheric stuff you might be able to confuse for background noises of the area you're in, like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4FFxR-uKA
(I kind of hate this music, it makes me tense as gently caress when it plays)

And then there's the ubiquitous battle music that's just kinda flittering noises and rattles assaulting you, kinda like fighting a mimic, which you mostly hear in short bursts and barely parses as music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-V09T0LOPw

You get occasional shots of more traditional "music" when entering new setpieces or plot beats, but depending on how much time you spend dicking around ignoring the plot, these moments can seem few and far between.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

As long as you have enough resources (ammo, medkits, psi-hypos, whatever it is you use) to deal with whatever enemies you meet, you can safety convert all excess resources into skill points.

Man, end game i end up recycling the last couple neuromods i find, because i'm already maxed out. I also ended the game with like 200 metal and three digit synthetics too, and that's with regularly crafting more shotgun and pistol ammo. I never end up using recycler grenades for anything other than getting rid of obstacles, either.

I guess i did end up recycling like 80% of the weapon upgrades i found, so that probably helped

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

I have a stun gun for this, but I guess I need something else to spend my massive collection of neuromods on.

The typhon ability has a big aoe that lets you hit multiple enemies at once, deals a good amount of damage, hit from further away than even a fully loaded gun... and allows you to one two punch them by following up with the stun gun (which will deal more damage since the enemies are disabled)

If you like the stun gun then youll love the typhon ability imo, since its basically a long range AoE stun gun

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jose posted:

I have dismantle but ive been recycling weapons instead of dismantling them

I never get much more than a 1.00 mineral material from recycle grenades.

I'm very aggressive at recycling anything that had mineral material.in it. Wish you could swap the typed somewhere
Since you have dismantle you can make Crossbows for two synthetic then tear them apart and recycle the spare parts for metal.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
started another playthrough, though it's on hold while i finish dishonoured 2 now that i have a powerful computer.

going to agree with something someone else said a bit earlier here: my only thing I think the game did badly (as opposed to just not doing something as well as it could have, like the antagonists) is the last 1/4 of the game where you're just retreading the same territory. maybe instead of the arrival in the shuttle later on they could've had a large military ship arrive you needed to explore, like the rickenbacker providing a natural late-game playground. they could've given it a different aesthetic, since it would be designed less for science and crew amenity - hostile, cramped.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Was looking forward to Shawn Elliot's dev insights, but apparently Zenimax didn't allow him to go on podcasts.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Since you have dismantle you can make Crossbows for two synthetic then tear them apart and recycle the spare parts for metal.
poo poo, this is a good plan. Thanks! Not that I needed it, but now I can go completely hog-wild on metals.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I turned into a coffee cup to hide from an alien, then I beat that alien to death with a filing cabinet.

A+ game

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I ended up not caring much for the main story. I preferred the workplace grievances from the e-mails - in fact I thought this might serve into a wider point ala Bioshock and was disappointed that it never goes that way.

Quality game but. Aside from having to suffer the painfully slow loading screens again and again as I wrapped up quests towards the end I had a great time with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Rinkles posted:

Was looking forward to Shawn Elliot's dev insights, but apparently Zenimax didn't allow him to go on podcasts.

Boo, at least we got some insight on twitter :(