Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Antti posted:

I started a game with the Vaulters on Normal. I'm 90 turns in and I have only two cities and I've barely begun setting up a third. Everything feels like it's progressing incredibly slowly and I'm worried it's not the pacing but because I'm doing something terribly wrong and lagging behind the AI. Roaming neutral armies in particular are a loving nightmare, you have to build multiple units to have exploration/settler parties and units can take 10-20 turns to build. Is this just the way the game is supposed to be?

You might have just had a bad start or didn't connect the dots between your available nearby planet types and the research needed to colonize them. The initial expansion is slow and the first 30-40 turns can drag, but by turn 90 you should be riding the edge of your over-extension penalty with a good base across all your systems even on a small map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

nessin posted:

You might have just had a bad start or didn't connect the dots between your available nearby planet types and the research needed to colonize them. The initial expansion is slow and the first 30-40 turns can drag, but by turn 90 you should be riding the edge of your over-extension penalty with a good base across all your systems even on a small map.

He is talking about Endless Legend

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

nessin posted:

This thread includes Legends as well as Endless Space, Endless Space 2, and Dungeons of the Endless.

Vaulters aren't in Endless Space 2. Regardless of the 'Mezari' showing up for the United Empire but it's not the same.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

He is talking about Endless Legend

I figured it'd be clear from the post I quoted. :v:

Seriously though, gently caress roaming armies. I just had another party wiped out because three separate stacks came together to attack my patrol as one.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Antti posted:

I started a game with the Vaulters on Normal. I'm 90 turns in and I have only two cities and I've barely begun setting up a third. Everything feels like it's progressing incredibly slowly and I'm worried it's not the pacing but because I'm doing something terribly wrong and lagging behind the AI. Roaming neutral armies in particular are a loving nightmare, you have to build multiple units to have exploration/settler parties and units can take 10-20 turns to build. Is this just the way the game is supposed to be?

It might be that your starting location had lovely food and/or industry (the Vaulters start prioritizes science terrain), you might have had bad luck, you might have prioritized your projects poorly, or some combination of the above. In particular, it sounds like you weren't as proactive about destroying or pacifying the surrounding neutral villages as you could have been; that turns into a real headache if you're not a faction that lends itself well to spitting out a ton of cheap military units for a clean sweep.

However, all that said, it's been my experience that that's just kinda how the Vaulters are. They're turtles. Their gimmicks are cool (teleportation owns and the Holy Resource bonuses are really drat good), but they're still defensively-minded science nerds in a game full of Solid Snakes, undead nanomachine market barons, rampaging sentient locust swarms, and industrialist turbo-elves. They're just kinda slow-and-steady at the best of times, and that can become especially problematic if you're not really aggressive about burning down every neutral village in like a 3-territory radius right at the start.

Are you making sure to always have a Holy Resource active? Glassteel is very handy initially; you're not going to be hurting for science (and anyway you want Titanium to build those science-enhancing buildings to effortlessly maintain your permanent research lead), and a substantial boost to Dust production early on really helps with hiring an early governor hero or two (which is extremely worthwhile in the long run) and rushing important projects when you need to.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I honestly think you've just fallen behind everything and everyone, somehow. Usually you have such overleveled/geared units that neutrals are walking xp too puny to be worth chasing down, while you have more cities than you want to micro since you ate a neighbor or two.

General tips: Production is king in EL, there is literally no problem that can't be solved by pouring more industry into it come midgame. Early game techs are far better industry-wise, it's easy as the Vaulters to only get the required 6(?) techs per era, but that's a bad plan. Rush the [+6 & +15% FIDS] techs asap in starting city, keep your main stack at max capacity and decent upgrades, and after that you tend to snowball well.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I think I figured it out. I had all my workers on Food for 120 turns. I didn't remember you manually reassign people between the different letters of FIDSI in this game. :v:

I have a LOT of population now though!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Also, you should go take care of villages one way or another. If you let them sit, they will just constantly spawn armies to ruin your life.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Also, you should go take care of villages one way or another. If you let them sit, they will just constantly spawn armies to ruin your life.

Speaking of which, it's roughly the same for Minor Factions in Endless Space 2, right? They constantly spawn new pirates every so often.

It's a pretty raw deal that Voyandi can convert a minor civilization but for some reason it keeps spawning pirates, because it's "not the same" as assimilation. Grr...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So once you're at your max colonization capacity what do you do? I have TWO craver empires between me and some of my colonies and my trade buddies and it results in constant blockades and trade disruption. But I'm already about 4 systems over my limit so I don't know what to do in a war.

I wish we could make vassals like in Stellaris, or just bomb systems to nothing like in MOO. Really some sort of vassal system would be so good, you could take systems as vassals or set up your own. I don't really give a poo poo about some of my crappy 2-3 planet systems that pretty much only exist to get some resource, I'd love to make them into something like a minor civ where I get a % of their income and strategic/luxury resources but they don't count towards my maximum number of systems for happiness.

Am i missing something, because "conquer the galaxy" seems to be a pretty common goal in 4X games, but I can barely take 1/4 of the map before going so far over my maximum number of colonies that not even my late game social tech can keep people happy.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Thanks, this also helped. Looks like the two key pieces of information were that villages spawn armies so if you don't have a plan to assimilate them soon just genocide them (you can always rebuild them later), and that you can and should customize FIDSI in cities. I'm now leading the AI slightly in the score on turn 58 as opposed to being 200 behind on turn 130.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So once you're at your max colonization capacity what do you do? I have TWO craver empires between me and some of my colonies and my trade buddies and it results in constant blockades and trade disruption. But I'm already about 4 systems over my limit so I don't know what to do in a war.

If you really don't want to expand anymore (no more approval buildings or Transvine available), one thing I tried doing was capturing systems, waiting until you consolidate control, and then just straight up evacuating the system. It's slow, but it fucks with the enemy and gives an opportunity for friendlier empires to expand into the now-empty space.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I'm getting that "Turn forever pending" issue. Is this game just hosed at this point?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I'm getting that "Turn forever pending" issue. Is this game just hosed at this point?

Yep, there's a whole lot of rage about this on their steam discussions and official forums.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Antti posted:

Thanks, this also helped. Looks like the two key pieces of information were that villages spawn armies so if you don't have a plan to assimilate them soon just genocide them (you can always rebuild them later), and that you can and should customize FIDSI in cities. I'm now leading the AI slightly in the score on turn 58 as opposed to being 200 behind on turn 130.

The 'do something about villages' tip is what I was going to tell you- the Roaming Armies don't come out of nowhere. Parley with everyone, because a lot of the quests are trivially easy and give considerable rewards in addition to shutting down the roaming armies. They also go up in level as soon as anyone hits one of the higher Tech ages (forget which one) and if you're really far behind you get hosed. We had goon MP games where Roaming Armies eliminated newbies because of this.

If you really don't want to deal with them, I think there's also a separate difficulty slider for them that you can tone down.

Finally, don't get caught up on your score vs. AI. The EL scoring tends to weight military very highly, and since the AI gets quantitative bonuses at most difficulty levels and basically spams units, you'll almost definitely lag behind in the early-mid game.

There's actually an achievement to have the high score for X number of turns at the start of an Endless difficulty game, and people have said you pretty much have to crank up Anomalies and restart until you get an insane, 6-anomaly starting location to pull it off.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 27, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The bizarre thing is that I didn't experience the Pending Turn bug in my first (restarted at 300 turns) game post-release until the last patch hit, and then in a new game it's now stalling at 160~ turns. They must've re-hosed something in the process.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

toasterwarrior posted:

The bizarre thing is that I didn't experience the Pending Turn bug in my first (restarted at 300 turns) game post-release until the last patch hit, and then in a new game it's now stalling at 160~ turns. They must've re-hosed something in the process.

Yeah same, during the EA period I never got a single technical issue, no crashes or hangs at all. When version 1 first came out I also had no problems. It's only suddenly in the last few days that the game's become unplayable. Somewhere around turn 100 it will inevitably hang either processing a turn or waiting for an opponent to pick a strategy in a battle. Literally unplayable :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for those wondering, i double checked and i can 100% confirm modernization upgrades stack. so go crazy using +4 production 3 times

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

As a huge Amplitude fan and retard, I actually waited all through Early Access and then waited for the full release to get a few patches before I bought it thinking I was being really smart.

I got that pending bug on my first game, I went back 1 turn, happened again, went back 5 turns, happened again.

I've handled the desyncs in Endless Space 1, the desyncs in Dungeon of the Endless, the desyncs in Endless Legend, and as silly as that got the third time, at least that happened deep into multiplayer games, but I can't even play this singleplayer.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Davincie posted:

for those wondering, i double checked and i can 100% confirm modernization upgrades stack. so go crazy using +4 production 3 times

The rare production bonus is a flat 100 per system.

It makes getting new systems up and running a breeze.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I don't know if this affects just the Prime-class Carrier, but if you try and use it in fancily rendered space battles, the warp-in will bug and continually loop, the ship's guns won't shoot anywhere near what they're actually hitting, and when the battle ends, the basically freezes on a bare galaxy map with the warp-in audio still looping.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Baronjutter posted:

I wish we could make vassals like in Stellaris, or just bomb systems to nothing like in MOO. Really some sort of vassal system would be so good, you could take systems as vassals or set up your own. I don't really give a poo poo about some of my crappy 2-3 planet systems that pretty much only exist to get some resource, I'd love to make them into something like a minor civ where I get a % of their income and strategic/luxury resources but they don't count towards my maximum number of systems for happiness.

Am i missing something, because "conquer the galaxy" seems to be a pretty common goal in 4X games, but I can barely take 1/4 of the map before going so far over my maximum number of colonies that not even my late game social tech can keep people happy.

• Use happiness laws: Toys for Boys is a good starting one, but most of political parties have their own laws too
  • Change governments: Federations can handle two more colonies by default, and Democracies get a passive happiness buff
  • Terraform your planets. You lose the major production/science bonuses of extreme climates, but you eliminate the happiness penalties and gain more max population, which kind of makes up for it.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

As a huge Amplitude fan and retard, I actually waited all through Early Access and then waited for the full release to get a few patches before I bought it thinking I was being really smart.

I got that pending bug on my first game, I went back 1 turn, happened again, went back 5 turns, happened again.

I've handled the desyncs in Endless Space 1, the desyncs in Dungeon of the Endless, the desyncs in Endless Legend, and as silly as that got the third time, at least that happened deep into multiplayer games, but I can't even play this singleplayer.

Just take a week off and come back when things stabilize, you know Amplitude's games are always the best.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I keep trying to start a Vodyani game but I can't ever get a minor civ within 10 jumps of my starting position. Last game the home system only had one very long way exit and the pirates spawned on the other side of it before I could get out, blocking my scout and leecher in. Shortest game yet.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Beamed posted:

Just take a week off and come back when things stabilize, you know Amplitude's games are always the best.

According to the 'net, this has been an issue for 7 months at least. Wouldn't count on a quick fix.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The most advanced Religious Party law is something that outright forces every planet to always be Content at minimum. Expensive in terms of influence, but so worth it. You could expand to your heart's content after that and everybody will be too busy praying to the Virtual Endless to care.

One thing I kinda miss from Endless Legend: happiness-boosting buildings usually had an extra effect that kicked in when you were at max happiness, so they were always worth building even in an already very happy society.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Brendan Rodgers posted:

For non-indie games, the convalescence period is closer to six months than a week or two. Waiting for Paradox or Firaxis to release enough meaty dlcs before buying a game is a long established tradition now.

Desyncs in previous endless games took multiple patches to reach a tolerable level and the slowdown is looking like it'll be an equally complicated problem. Given the EA version had problems with pacing and we're only now playing into the lategame and running into performance issues, I can't help but think you jumped the gun.

Speedball posted:

One thing I kinda miss from Endless Legend: happiness-boosting buildings usually had an extra effect that kicked in when you were at max happiness, so they were always worth building even in an already very happy society.

There were much bigger happiness bonuses in ES as well, fledgling outposts with Colonial rights and a few flat FIDS modifiers became quickly more productive than early game colonies.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 28, 2017

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I took a system I don't want in war, how do I get rid of it? Decolonize is grayed out, but I can build some other stuff.

Related, what do you do when you don't want a system, but you also don't want your enemy to have it anymore?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RVT posted:

I took a system I don't want in war, how do I get rid of it? Decolonize is grayed out, but I can build some other stuff.

Related, what do you do when you don't want a system, but you also don't want your enemy to have it anymore?

You can't decolonize until you have full ownership over it (represented by a little percentage right below the FIDS outputs, iirc). There's also a colored circle on the map that slowly fills in.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So what's the point of diplomatic demands? I mean I have a shitton of influence, so I can make demands of another empire, but they can just say no and then we're at war? So if you have even more influence you can make different demands, and then they can say no and go to war? If they say yes then they get to reset the bar, but going to war resets it too, why would they ever say yes?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It gives you free demands and a free wardec if they refuse. It's a way of saving influence. However, if you're exerting enough pressure to make demands you have more influence income than them anyway, making it a way of ensuring players who are ahead stay ahead. It's kind of a dumb mechanic.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I had that happen over the Lumeris, made a demand, they said no and immediately blew up my new colony effort. That slowed me down enough that they eventually reached influence parity with me and changed the course of the game.

What im saying is, make sure youre ready to gently caress them up before making a demand.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People were saying if you play a game with no pirates and no cravers you can avoid the game-ending bugs but people are finding that no, that in fact doesn't work.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

This game seems like everything Stellaris should have been so far.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

babypolis posted:

-No vassals, tributaries, or puppets, a real missing mechanic when there's a soft cap on systems you can control
-no "late game" challenges/disasters that can shake up the universe
-custom faction creation is pretty limited and many faction quests will totally gently caress up your custom empire.

but other than that, it's superior in a lot of ways and because it isn't obsessed with everything being random and procedural there's actual character and story. Oh and other than the show-stopping turn and battle processing bugs that currently make any game unplayable after a certain amount of time.

I'd say the main difference is that Endless Space 2 knows what it wants to be and has fleshed out races and backstory. Stellaris has no idea what it wants to be, they have a very poor vision that's changed so much since the time it was in pre-alpha development to now, 2 DLC's later. The devs are sadly in pure reactionary mode, people complain about stuff or whole key game mechanics aren't fun so they gut them but then the new mechanic isn't that much better but now a bunch of related mechanics are hosed up and need to be fixed as well. ES2 seemed to have started with a much more cohesive design and a much better understanding of how 4X games work. Stellaris admittedly started with an arrogant belief that the 4X bones of the game would be easy to do and they only needed to focus on adding their special paradox spice to the mix.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 29, 2017

Cat Sidhe
Jan 9, 2015

babypolis posted:

But they are very different games?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Technically the main Academy Quest is just that very thing, in terms of having a late game shake-up, but you will win an Economic or Scientific victory before then, but I also never had a game of Stellaris where I got as far as the end-game crisis before becoming bored with it.

I agree that they are very different games, but they're still both 4X games. Stellaris is a much more sandboxy experience, but one that I found lackluster rather than one filled with freedom, a lot of the things that I was annoyed by in Stellaris feel better to me in ES2. eXploit, eXterminate and eXpand all feel more interesting in this game, while I'd consider eXploration on a similar level thanks to the great writing in both games, though ES2 does present a more cohesive and characterful universe.

quote:

I'd say the main difference is that Endless Space 2 knows what it wants to be and has fleshed out races and backstory. Stellaris has no idea what it wants to be, they have a very poor vision that's changed so much since the time it was in pre-alpha development to now, 2 DLC's later. The devs are sadly in pure reactionary mode, people complain about stuff or whole key game mechanics aren't fun so they gut them but then the new mechanic isn't that much better but now a bunch of related mechanics are hosed up and need to be fixed as well. ES2 seemed to have started with a much more cohesive design and a much better understanding of how 4X games work. Stellaris admittedly started with an arrogant belief that the 4X bones of the game would be easy to do and they only needed to focus on adding their special paradox spice to the mix.

I never thought of it this way, and yeah, it is pretty much what is wrong with Stellaris.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

They are both 4x games and they are similar enough to me. The big thing for me is the exploration which in Stellaris amounted to a few funny events and basically nothing else. Meanwhile in every amplitude game I wanna mouse over and read every little thing because the worlds and universes they craft are so interesting

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

babypolis posted:

They are both 4x games and they are similar enough to me. The big thing for me is the exploration which in Stellaris amounted to a few funny events and basically nothing else. Meanwhile in every amplitude game I wanna mouse over and read every little thing because the worlds and universes they craft are so interesting

This is true too. I actually find my self enjoying exploration in ES2 more than Stellaris. Sure there's a ton of events but they all end up blurring together and generally just end in a little one-time bonus you forget about. In ES2 I'm finding crazy unique planets and anomalies with interesting effects and cool descriptions and those things stay with you the whole game. I found a planet with thousands of floating islands, I found a planet with a massive abandoned orbital shipyard, weird ruins, all sorts of poo poo and the effects stay with the planet all game. You come back to that planet 100 turns later and remember "oh yeah, this is the planet with those floating islands". In Stellaris very very few of the events have any lasting impact, where they happened doesn't matter and they don't paint a picture of the setting's history because there isn't really a setting in the first place. Which is all very sad because exploration and exploration events are often lauded as the best part of Stellaris, yet for me anyways, I'm enjoying the much more simple yet substantial and interesting exploration in ES2.

I think another key difference is that exploration events are purely random in Stellaris and once you've scanned an area that's that. In ES2 anomalies are gated with techs and are all pre-set so there's always more things to explore or dig up as the game goes on. Sure in the late game that's mostly just some new luxury or strategic resources, but everything feels much more tied to geography and thus memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The little art boxes and lore bits really add to the background for ES and EL too. I wonder if there is anywhere they can be downloaded, some of them are gorgeous.