Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

jabby posted:

So we have several polls from the same time period putting the Tory lead between 5 and 12 points. Election night is certainly gonna be interesting.

One thing seems likely though, and that's that we all get to mock Pissflaps for his prediction of Labour being in the high 20's of vote share.

I can't think of a single prediction 'flaps has made where the polar opposite hasn't happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://twitter.com/BrianElects/status/868000176140636160

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

blunt posted:

I assume that's asking the general public about old people stuff, not asking just old people?

Either way that's a very good number though.

Yeah, the first one.

I actually think the main reason the social care issue doesn't seem to be cutting through to older people is that the ones who vote/answer polls are convinced they will never need the social care system and don't give a poo poo about the members of their generation who do.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

So we have several polls from the same time period putting the Tory lead between 5 and 12 points. Election night is certainly gonna be interesting.

One thing seems likely though, and that's that we all get to mock Pissflaps for his prediction of Labour being in the high 20's of vote share.

29% is still a figure I'm still comfortable with.

Do you have one of your own?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

fridge corn posted:

Im my 15 years experience in the industry I can say that this is simply not true

You can say that it is not your experience but you can't say it isn't true for others, because I know for a fact that it is.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Firos posted:

I can't think of a single prediction 'flaps has made where the polar opposite hasn't happened.

Political ones on this forum? Trump and Scottish independence.

The only one I called wrong was Brexit, along with everyone else in this thread.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

29% is still a figure I'm still comfortable with.

Do you have one of your own?

Nah, I didn't start disbelieving the polls when Labour started to recover.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868518128086593540

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Nah, I didn't start disbelieving the polls when Labour started to recover.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868518128086593540

So you're too scared to give one. Unsurprising.

I don't disbelieve the polls.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Darth Walrus posted:

C'mon, man, don't be deliberately stupid. You really can't see why the people who locked him in a cage and set him on fire might bear the lion's share of responsibility for his death?

In order to be charged with manslaughter doesn't it have to be shown that the act or whatever resulted in the victims death? How do you prove that in this case? Is there a legal precedent for this?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Not only precedent but a dedicated act of law.

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I don't mean to dog-pile on you dude, but the article even says "on the evening before his death, George had been pacing around the house, saying "I have to quit, I can't go back there" over and over again."

But his Dad told him they were only having a laugh and that things would get beter.

And just to be totally clear on what actually happened, an 18 year old boy was being beaten, verbally abused, locked in a cage and set on fire, by a large group of older men, including his bosses, who would greet him of the moring joking about the fact he hadn't killed himself yet, and when he went home and tried to quit he was told he was being 'dramatic' and to just suck it up and get on with it.

At 18, if your life had turned into a SAW film, and you were told that it was normal, and that you now had to spend the rest of your life getting up and going to a horrible place to be tortured and tormented, would you not think about killing yourself?

I mean this was a child, in a situation where even an adult would be driven to extremes.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I think they should be put on trial for manslaughter at least.

Let's add to that the fact that if the guy had quit, our caring and understanding government would have denied him all benefits because he had left acceptable employment of his own volition.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 27, 2017

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

fridge corn posted:

In order to be charged with manslaughter doesn't it have to be shown that the act or whatever resulted in the victims death? How do you prove that in this case? Is there a legal precedent for this?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/dec/15/hatice-can-sentenced-bullying-death

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cerv posted:

Alternatively it's good that the unrepentant homophobic bully is gone

Eh, there's no shortage of homophobic bullies in contemporary football, they are just boring homophobic bullies.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Im amazed this is 12%

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868518412334616577

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

no surprises there, abbott is terrible

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Since I might aswell, I'll put down a prediction of 36% for labour vote share on the day of the election.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Looke posted:

no surprises there, abbott is terrible

No I think pissflaps is amazed even 12% of people would think abbott would be good, which is fair enough.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
For the goon that inevitably sets up the google spreadsheet to track these I'd suggest we just record labour vote percentage and Tory majority. Just to keep things simple.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Political ones on this forum? Trump and Scottish independence.

The only one I called wrong was Brexit, along with everyone else in this thread.
I wasn't​.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I'm stunned that I can't remember what your thoughts on the subject were.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I think the convicted having been present at the victims death (from the article it sounds like she climbed into a window and they told her to jump so she did?) makes this case not entirely comparable to the one we've been discussing

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

amber rudd's percentages will also be buoyed by the fact that her saying the average house price in her constituency was £100k when it's actually over £200k never became a meme like abbot, for some strange reason

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fridge corn posted:

I think the convicted having been present at the victims death (from the article it sounds like she climbed into a window and they told her to jump so she did?) makes this case not entirely comparable to the one we've been discussing

No it doesn't.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
After an election in which the opposition becomes the party of government, is the convention for all the shadow cabinet to just become the cabinet with their same assigned briefs?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rakosi posted:

You can say that it is not your experience but you can't say it isn't true for others, because I know for a fact that it is.

So do our anecdotal evidences cancel each other out or what? I'm not suggesting that bullying doesn't occur at all in my industry, but perhaps it is not as rife as you were suggesting. Certainly not as rife as in any other industry and to claim otherwise seems to suggest some sort of bias or prejudice on your part

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

thehappyprince posted:

amber rudd's percentages will also be buoyed by the fact that her saying the average house price in her constituency was £100k when it's actually over £200k never became a meme like abbot, for some strange reason

or people just don't know who she is

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Halisnacks posted:

After an election in which the opposition becomes the party of government, is the convention for all the shadow cabinet to just become the cabinet with their same assigned briefs?

If there's no cabinet shuffle, then yes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

fridge corn posted:

So do our anecdotal evidences cancel each other out or what? I'm not suggesting that bullying doesn't occur at all in my industry, but perhaps it is not as rife as you were suggesting. Certainly not as rife as in any other industry and to claim otherwise seems to suggest some sort of bias or prejudice on your part

I don't know, how many industries are you claiming to be an expert in here?

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I'm stunned that I can't remember what your thoughts on the subject were.

EU bad thing

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I expected the polls to narrow over the course of the campaign but I had no real hope last month that we'd really be able to avert a landslide. Of course, hope is always a lie but still..
Of all the hollywood actors who could have come over to support JC, we have the greatest

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

For the goon that inevitably sets up the google spreadsheet to track these I'd suggest we just record labour vote percentage and Tory majority. Just to keep things simple.

And how many MP's will the Lib Dem's have.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

IIRC, every party/referendum I have voted for has 'won' in some way (Nick Clegg). Now I'm going to gamble on labour and their lovely leader, so...

fridge corn posted:

Yeah, I can agree with you that it isn't ubiquitous but I disagree that it's as likely to happen in these industries as anywhere else. I mean, the only industry I can compare to construction/mechanics in the way they treat young hires is finances. These are industries which are infamous for their bullying of young/new hires. What many on a building site consider banter would get you sacked if you pulled the same stunt in even a MacDonalds.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Well yes, that's clear. I'm not sure it's working though. I think people are waiting to hear something positive from them.

Which isn't to say they won't still win, they should. But the whole point of this snap election was meant to be to give Theresa May a massively increased majority, so the Tories should probably be offering a little more than running about with their winkie out shouting IRA over & over.

I think it'll work, he did support the IRA for decades, it's kinda of an open goal for them.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

From two weeks ago when the polls started moving I've got £4 bets on Labour at 250-299 seats (55/1), and Tories on majority of 1-24 seats (33/1).

Feeling pretty good about them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Reckon the final weeks of the campaign should be about destroying the myth that May would be any good at handling Brexit negotiations. It's the only thing keeping her numbers in the mid 40%.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

AP posted:

I think it'll work, he did support the IRA for decades, it's kinda of an open goal for them.

No he didn't.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rakosi posted:

The way young men are treated in these industries is loving atrocious. Every single one of my friends who work in construction/mechanics has gone through some period/kind of hazing at the hands of the 'lads' who've worked on the site/firm for longer. These kind of jobs are infected with "old boys" cliques. I'm getting married in a week and my future brother-in-law just turned 20 and is, because of his age, on half the pay of the skinny alcoholics that make up the majority of the scaffolders he works with, despite being able and willing to do four times the work they can.

I've worked on building sites and come in for some 'banter' and have to be honest I didn't really mind it. But it was nothing like what that poor boy went through pretty shameful.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AP posted:

A) He didn't B) If it is working then why has their lead shrunk so dramatically? They were on track for a majority of over 100 at one point going by the polling, now it's looking likely it'll stay roughly the same. So if it is an open goal they somehow seem to be missing the target completely.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Gonzo McFee posted:

Reckon the final weeks of the campaign should be about destroying the myth that May would be any good at handling Brexit negotiations. It's the only thing keeping her numbers in the mid 40%.

I think Corbyn would poll better if he got across a message that he is not going to let EU politicians punish Britain for a democratic decision. There is a lot of room for Corbyn to show he can be tough and firm on some issues, and this is one he appears weakest on; he is seen as totally flacid by many Tory voters.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/868493250142887936

Well I'm sold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Spread this around and you'll have a 70% Labour majority faster than you can say "votin' for the footy"

• Locked thread