Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
loving embarrassing what some people have as email addresses from when they were young. A friend of mine who is a respected PhD and postdoctoral researcher in her field has something like dancingwiththefairies1@gmail.com as her personal address.

I guess dancingwiththefairies was taken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

StandardToast posted:

OH so I know the given usernames/email addresses aren't names but they can make for some good ones, such as "S Hartman" (shartman) and a lady with the initials of FAG that we giggle about every time she calls.

I used to work with a TWATSON. She was a very nice lady.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Memento posted:

loving embarrassing what some people have as email addresses from when they were young. A friend of mine who is a respected PhD and postdoctoral researcher in her field has something like dancingwiththefairies1@gmail.com as her personal address.

I guess dancingwiththefairies was taken?

I still have my teenage email address but I also registered firstname.lastname at Gmail when I needed something to put on resumes. I feel like academics are exactly the type to never recognize that particular need though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Better than bettercallsaul@ouya.com

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
My middle initials are MF. My first and last name are both very common, so my work email is in the format of (firstname) MF (lastname) @ companyname.

People tend to assume it stands for motherfucker, and have awkwardly inquired as to why my email address is formatted like that.. Turns out, in the great state of California you can put your name change on your marriage certificate, one of the suggestions the form gives is hyphenating your middle and maiden names, and prior to getting married my initials were AMF.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
It's not people names, but an AI developed paint color names that are right at home in this thread

"At some point, we've all wondered about the incredibly strange names for paint colors. Research scientist and neural network goofball Janelle Shane took the wondering a step further. Shane decided to train a neural network to generate new paint colors, complete with appropriate names. The results are possibly the greatest work of artificial intelligence I've seen to date."

please rename me Caring Tan or Sindis Poop

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
She also taught a neural net to create recipes.

https://gist.github.com/nylki/1efbaa36635956d35bcc

My favorite is caramel corn garlic beef, which apparently calls for Parmesan cheese, ground cloves, and cayenne pepper. That's all.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I am partial to the absurdity of Bird Hots with Mold.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I got some paperwork today for a kid named 'Qyr' (with a completely normal Anglo surname). I can only imagine that it's pronounced 'queer' but I really hope I'm wrong about that. I also can't imagine this kid spending his whole life trying to explain what the gently caress is going on with his name.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I hope he grows up to play baseball or run track and field. Then fans can talk about the Kessel Run.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cyberia posted:

I got some paperwork today for a kid named 'Qyr' (with a completely normal Anglo surname). I can only imagine that it's pronounced 'queer' but I really hope I'm wrong about that. I also can't imagine this kid spending his whole life trying to explain what the gently caress is going on with his name.

I'm guessing it's pronounced like Cure.

Edit: googled a bit, and most of the hits are either obviously not related (radio station call signs, stock exchange abbreviations) or ancient Hebrew and/or Aramaic. So my guess is some obscure Bible thing.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 11:08 on May 22, 2017

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sent out a package for a Guy Sonn today.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ungeleak.

I believe it's a variation on Angelique, but woof.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

A local man on the news was being represented by a lawyer named TheArthur A. Duncan II Esquire

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
There was an older dude at the bar a couple days ago named Shirby. He was kinda grumpy. I would be too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just watched a really good movie where one of the main characters was called Dathan.

e: Oh gently caress it's a biblical name I guess I've just never seen it before :shrug:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rodbeard posted:

A local man on the news was being represented by a lawyer named TheArthur A. Duncan II Esquire

author of:

https://www.amazon.com/Felon-Attorney-TheArthur-Duncan-II-Esq/dp/1631771876

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Saw someone significantly under the age of 70 with the name Ethel the other day. Are hipsters giving their children old people names now or something?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Saw someone significantly under the age of 70 with the name Ethel the other day. Are hipsters giving their children old people names now or something?

Yes. I know an Elsa (who was born before Frozen), an Enid, a Vera, a Beatrix, and (god help the poor girl) a Gladys. All born in the last 10 years to mid-twenties, cold-brewed-coffee-drinking, avocado-toast-eating parents.
The trend doesn't seem to have hit boys' names, though. At least not where I live.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tumblr of scotch posted:

It's not just a hipster thing. Names go in cycles. By the time a generation grows up and starts having kids, the folks with what their parents considered old people names have died off. So those names just sound like less common names to the folks actually having kids. The result is that every generation throughout history hates the names given to "kids these days."

You can actually find rants from any decade you please going back centuries saying the same poo poo that people in this thread say about names now, right down to unique snowflake spellings and people named after fictional characters.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's not just a hipster thing. Names go in cycles. By the time a generation grows up and starts having kids, the folks with what their parents considered old people names have died off. So those names just sound like less common names to the folks actually having kids. The result is that every generation throughout history hates the names given to "kids these days."

You can actually find rants from any decade you please going back centuries saying the same poo poo that people in this thread say about names now, right down to unique snowflake spellings and people named after fictional characters.

On the other hand I read a thing lately that said 3 out of 4 of my grandparents' names are in danger of dying out in the UK: Maureen, Geoffrey, and Derek. I quite like Geoffrey at least. The 4th is Shirley and I love the idea of a baby named Shirley.

Old people names are going strong among the preschoolers here. Alfie, Archie - never Alfred or Archibald, of course - but Albert, yes. I've worked with a Jonty and a Monty and a Margaret. Arthur. Barney. Mary. A Hazel, an Ivy, and half a dozen Florences. Matilda, Martha, Miriam.

Honestly at this point they either have old people names or weird double hyphenated Kaytlynn names.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

eating only apples posted:

On the other hand I read a thing lately that said 3 out of 4 of my grandparents' names are in danger of dying out in the UK: Maureen, Geoffrey, and Derek. I quite like Geoffrey at least. The 4th is Shirley and I love the idea of a baby named Shirley.

Old people names are going strong among the preschoolers here. Alfie, Archie - never Alfred or Archibald, of course - but Albert, yes. I've worked with a Jonty and a Monty and a Margaret. Arthur. Barney. Mary. A Hazel, an Ivy, and half a dozen Florences. Matilda, Martha, Miriam.

Honestly at this point they either have old people names or weird double hyphenated Kaytlynn names.

Huh, in the US Derek is a moderately popular kid's name. I wouldn't associate it with old people at all

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Tumblr of scotch posted:

I know a 20-something named Jeremiah. To be fair, I think he's like the 5th or 6th, so it's been passed down since that name was hot.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I keep getting a kick out of seeing the name Schapelle Corby in the news.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Glorpfust

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Male Tears posted:

I keep getting a kick out of seeing the name Schapelle Corby in the news.
Glad you're getting a kick out of it because every single person I know is sick to loving death of her.

Re: old fashioned names chat. There's lots of instances of older names here (:australia:) because a lot of Chinese immigrants will choose an Anglicised name so that they're not continually trying to explain how to spell their actual name. I went to high school with a Victoria, a Rosemary, a couple of Alberts, an Ethel and a Gladys, and I once dated a Chinese girl named Ginny.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Memento posted:

Glad you're getting a kick out of it because every single person I know is sick to loving death of her.

Re: old fashioned names chat. There's lots of instances of older names here (:australia:) because a lot of Chinese immigrants will choose an Anglicised name so that they're not continually trying to explain how to spell their actual name. I went to high school with a Victoria, a Rosemary, a couple of Alberts, an Ethel and a Gladys, and I once dated a Chinese girl named Ginny.

I'm in the US so I'd never heard of her before until now.

Also, I knew a Korean girl who went by Ginny but it was because her Korean name was Jinhee.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

My mom grew up with a guy named Nimrod McDade. He's got a son called Nimrod McDade Jr.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Istari posted:

Yes. I know an Elsa (who was born before Frozen), an Enid, a Vera, a Beatrix, and (god help the poor girl) a Gladys. All born in the last 10 years to mid-twenties, cold-brewed-coffee-drinking, avocado-toast-eating parents.
The trend doesn't seem to have hit boys' names, though. At least not where I live.

I've seen multiple kids with renowned old person names Wyatt and Warren.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'm at my girlfriend's family reunion and her aunt just casually mentioned someone named Dick Leathers. Holy poo poo.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Memento posted:

same here, I'm a Kiwi and I know a bunch of first-gen Chinese NZers called Doris and Wendy and Dilys and Winnie and such

a friend's sister just named her son Arsyn, "like the felony!" :j:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

poop dood posted:

I'm at my girlfriend's family reunion and her aunt just casually mentioned someone named Dick Leathers. Holy poo poo.

at a family gathering my mom befriended a Bill Gates, a really nice older guy who was a retired NY fireman :3: He'll never have the renown of "the" Bill Gates but from the accounts I gathered he's a really good dude and has lived a plentiful, memorable life.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Male Tears posted:

I'm in the US so I'd never heard of her before until now.

Also, I knew a Korean girl who went by Ginny but it was because her Korean name was Jinhee.

Ginny/Jinny seems to be almost as popular as "Sunny" as an English name for Korean women.

Shoggoth bgosh
Jun 8, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I was in walmart this weekend, and I heard a mom with a boatload of kids call one of them "Patriot". His sister's name was "Glory".

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Saw a little girl named Huxley.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
More stars of the Minnehaha County Jail:

Shidawn
Fagner
Kelby
A guy who's middle name is Chaos.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

The Schwa posted:

same here, I'm a Kiwi and I know a bunch of first-gen Chinese NZers called Doris and Wendy and Dilys and Winnie and such

Ditto. A first-Gen Chinese-Australian was the first and only Edwina I've ever met.

Today I encountered twin girls in a kindergarten class, called Scarlet and Reuby (pronounced Ruby).
How does that silent E improve the name at all ?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Istari posted:

Ditto. A first-Gen Chinese-Australian was the first and only Edwina I've ever met.

Today I encountered twin girls in a kindergarten class, called Scarlet and Reuby (pronounced Ruby).
How does that silent E improve the name at all ?

Maybe it's the feminine, diminutive form of Reuben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Had a customer called Gunn Bones