Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ok so for someone that hasn't played twitch FPS games in probably a decade, what would be suggested as a good hero to learn the game on.

Cause running around and getting shot in the face constantly because you can't aim for poo poo is loads of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Ok so for someone that hasn't played twitch FPS games in probably a decade, what would be suggested as a good hero to learn the game on.

Cause running around and getting shot in the face constantly because you can't aim for poo poo is loads of fun.

lucio (healing/speed boost aura that you provide just by being near people), mercy (the medic from tf2 except she can fly), or maybe reinhardt (has no gun and is more for providing shields than twitch aiming)

you can also do torb and symmetra (they have turrets and symmetra's primary fire is auto aim) but people are gonna yell at you a lot if you try it on attack because they aren't good at that

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tenebrais posted:

I'm not sure there's any character I'd say Orisa can confidently 1v1, other than maybe Mercy and Lucio. She's very much a support tank; she'll be a great force multiplier to her team but anyone who can get to her without her backup will probably take her down.

Maybe she just needs a bit more damage to be able to manage on her own, or maybe Fortify needs to be stronger against a single attacker somehow so she can go toe-to-toe with an attack character and at least have a chance at winning. Or maybe her mechanical balance is fine but she needs a co-ordinated team around her. You can't exactly rely on that though.

fwiw I watched like six games on DSPStanky's (currently ranked in the top 60 or so) steam today and there were Orisa's in like half the games. He made a comment that he was seeing them more and more in the latest patch.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tenebrais posted:

I'm not sure there's any character I'd say Orisa can confidently 1v1, other than maybe Mercy and Lucio. She's very much a support tank; she'll be a great force multiplier to her team but anyone who can get to her without her backup will probably take her down.

Maybe she just needs a bit more damage to be able to manage on her own, or maybe Fortify needs to be stronger against a single attacker somehow so she can go toe-to-toe with an attack character and at least have a chance at winning. Or maybe her mechanical balance is fine but she needs a co-ordinated team around her. You can't exactly rely on that though.

As long she not hit by surprise, she can easily waste Roadhog. Her armor ignores his hook and his big hit box means she can just shred him easily if he tries to heal.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A good Orisa is incredibly obnoxious to play against unless literally your entire team is on the ball with breaking her shield as soon as it goes up so you have a 5 second window to push through instead of ... 1. Or zero.

Of course no one wants to actually shoot the shield, they just want to be cute and shoot slightly around the shield (and accomplish nothing).

Between the shield buffs to Orisa and Winston, Symmetra getting a flying shield, and Reinhardt being Reinhardt, shields are loving everywhere in this patch and there's like all of two heroes who actually do well at shieldbusting.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rirse posted:

As long she not hit by surprise, she can easily waste Roadhog. Her armor ignores his hook and his big hit box means she can just shred him easily if he tries to heal.

roadhog can kill her in two hits and orisa can't even out damage his heals with headshots. there's no reason an orisa should ever win that fight

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I played Orisa a few times in competitive since the patch and she does surprising well there. Especially if Reinhart there, as she can get her shield up quickly and usually when he loses his, so the other team gets panically and try to go around and die.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
S76 is also just an excellent training character, I think, because he has a simple point-and-shoot gun that's good for practicing aim and two means of recovery - his biotic field and his ability to run (to cover or to a health pack). You can learn a lot of the fundamentals - aiming, map layout, coordination - by learning him.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Constantine XI posted:

I'm fine with Reaper being at a disadvantage against a situationally aware McCree/76 etc... he should be the guy you bring out to bust a tank heavy line up, and I feel Blizz should focus any improvements for him in this area.

I feel like people lean too hard on the meme that Reaper is "the tankbuster" when he's really just kind of okay at that, he can dunk Winston because he has an easy time unloading his shotguns into Winston's big easy headbox and Winston also doesn't have as much armor as other heroes, but against other tanks Reaper's never really been the unquestioned 1v1 master, people just looked at how good he could be against Winston and made the leap that "oh, he must be the anti-tank character."

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Reaper is one of the bad heroes that has a good ult (as long as he is able to sneak it in)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eh death blossom is pretty bad since it's so predictable and he's kind of a sitting duck when it's going in the same way pharah is. especially with d.va as popular as she is

gone are the days of the beyblade killing everything even if you knew it was coming

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I want to see reapers escape slide up walls and remove shadow step. replace step with a literal smoke bomb that you can drop in normal OR ghost form.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Between the shield buffs to Orisa and Winston, Symmetra getting a flying shield, and Reinhardt being Reinhardt, shields are loving everywhere in this patch and there's like all of two heroes who actually do well at shieldbusting.
But plenty of people who can just go around the shield. There are bullets everywhere but only genji and d.va to eat them. I wouldn't call for more bullet eating abilities, I'd just try to get shot less.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

level 275 and no cheers icon

why cant i have cheers, jeff? why you treat me like orisa?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

HATECUBE posted:

level 275 and no cheers icon

why cant i have cheers, jeff? why you treat me like orisa?

Hahah, cheers was in my first 10 boxes that I got free from buying the game last night.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

eh death blossom is pretty bad since it's so predictable and he's kind of a sitting duck when it's going in the same way pharah is. especially with d.va as popular as she is

gone are the days of the beyblade killing everything even if you knew it was coming

Death Blossom would still be better than Pharah's ult if only because it's hitscan and consequently starts melting people as soon as they hear the first "Die!," and it's also AOE which makes it a lot more forgiving with regards to positioning. How many Pharahs have had their rain of justice prematurely interrupted because they didn't notice the Roadhog/Soldier/Hanzo/McCree/Widowmaker/Zenyatta behind them when they opened up? And Death Blossom does at least work on the move which is why the quintessential Reaper ult involves dropping down from above while using it, to give you at least that much little bit of extra lead time before people draw a bead on you.

But of course I also agree with you that D.Va shuts down death blossom pretty hard and that the changes to nanoboost have made that combo much less desirable. I also think the change to ult charge rates hurt Reaper somewhat since his ult used to charge fairly quickly given the damage output he has, and so you could have DB in your pocket more often ready to go which made it more of a useful opportunistic ult.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

seriously tho a smoke bomb that you can drop while ghosting or just before you tear up a back line would add the fear missing from reapers kit. also maybe let you complicate your escape and actuality make it out of combat

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

veedubfreak posted:

I am in the same position as you, except I'm also playing on a console that I am brand new on. My buddies finally convinced me to buy an x-box one and overwatch is basically the first game I played on it.

I'll pretty much echo the Reinhardt and Lucio suggestions as hero's that are good in any situation whatsoever. Reinhardt can be pretty frustrating at first because when you're starting off in the lower levels people pretty much don't support you and you can get swarmed by faster attack hero like Tracer and Genji and it just feels like you're helpless against them. Once you pick up the basic positioning stuff and how to use your skills effectively he's great.

I would actually recommend trying to pick up Ana when you get more comfortable in the game and if you like playing support. I figured a sniper was a no go for me, but a lot of times you can be very effective shooting your tanks in the back from relatively close range without the scope, and using the grenade for harder to hit targets and yourself. Ana also has a great ultimate that is game winning If you can speak to your team-mates and have a little bit of coordination.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Anyone want to play on Xbone? Add me: Samu45

I swear to god I am the only person on Xbox with a mic.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Alien Rope Burn posted:

S76 is also just an excellent training character, I think, because he has a simple point-and-shoot gun that's good for practicing aim and two means of recovery - his biotic field and his ability to run (to cover or to a health pack). You can learn a lot of the fundamentals - aiming, map layout, coordination - by learning him.

Plus learning to dome people with the rocket. It's one of the few things I'm good at!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

HATECUBE posted:

seriously tho a smoke bomb that you can drop while ghosting or just before you tear up a back line would add the fear missing from reapers kit. also maybe let you complicate your escape and actuality make it out of combat

Yeah but it'd either a.) mean reaper's teammates couldn't actually see poo poo or b.) team mates aren't effected by the smoke and then it becomes used for something else entirely

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Yo I forget. When I solo queue for Quick Play or Competitive Play, do I end up with a bunch of other solo queuers or am I setting myself up to get stomped by a 5-stack?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Yo I forget. When I solo queue for Quick Play or Competitive Play, do I end up with a bunch of other solo queuers or am I setting myself up to get stomped by a 5-stack?

It'll mostly be solo queuers are groups of 2, with larger groups showing up occasionally. But it's okay because the larger stacks are often pretty bad. I've had a game where it was all solo queuers vs a 6-stack...and us solo queuers beat them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

100 degrees Calcium posted:

the game tries to match you with groups close to your size, so usually you'll be with other solo queue players and some duos. sometimes you will be the odd man out of a 5 stack tho, which does mean that you'll be against a group of 4-6 usually

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yeah but it'd either a.) mean reaper's teammates couldn't actually see poo poo or b.) team mates aren't effected by the smoke and then it becomes used for something else entirely
I'm okay with a tool that can be used for either choke-breaking or escape, especially if it has a long cooldown so Reaper can't use it for both.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Hey if I have almost silver border time on PC and wanna see what it's like to solo queue smurf for the weekend on console to see how it plays and looks on a TV, playing over wireless, should I Bone or PS4?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I played all of the overwatch events in hots, but when I installed overwatch for the free weekend I didn't see any rewards. If I decide to buy the game will they show up?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

I played all of the overwatch events in hots, but when I installed overwatch for the free weekend I didn't see any rewards. If I decide to buy the game will they show up?

This is a good question, probably one for the blizzard forums.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Someone here is probably in the same boat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

if you're playing on console, you have to connect your accounts. you can do that from in the game itself

if you're on pc, idk what to tell you because those should be connected by default. did you play bot matches only? those don't count past the genji skin event

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you're playing on console, you have to connect your accounts. you can do that from in the game itself

if you're on pc, idk what to tell you because those should be connected by default. did you play bot matches only? those don't count past the genji skin event

Nah, I played regular games with friends. This is on PC.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any advice at getting better at aiming on PS4? I'd really like to play Ana more, but I'm awful when it comes to aiming. :(

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
I've heard swapping out your dualshock for a mouse helps

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Montalvo posted:

Does anyone have any advice at getting better at aiming on PS4? I'd really like to play Ana more, but I'm awful when it comes to aiming. :(

Unless you wanna shell out money for a xim the only advice I can give is practice. Go to the practice range before playing some games. Dick around with your settings until something feels right. But above all practice practice practice. Stick with it even when you get games where your accuracy is like 15%. I went from barely getting double digit percentages as McCree to consistently hitting 50%+ of my shots and it feels great.

Comedy option: get a pair of Kontrol Freeks.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bumper Stickup posted:

Unless you wanna shell out money for a xim the only advice I can give is practice. Go to the practice range before playing some games. Dick around with your settings until something feels right. But above all practice practice practice. Stick with it even when you get games where your accuracy is like 15%. I went from barely getting double digit percentages as McCree to consistently hitting 50%+ of my shots and it feels great.

Comedy option: get a pair of Kontrol Freeks.

Don't use the practice range. Make a custom game against bots, make yourself invincible or effectively so and just shoot shoot shoot. It's both proper training and a warmup exercise. I definitely shoot much better after I've done like a 10-20 minute session of practicing like this.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

any particular bots you'd recommend? i'd like to get better with tracer but my aim is so loving bad with her it just frustrates me super bad

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Kaubocks posted:

any particular bots you'd recommend? i'd like to get better with tracer but my aim is so loving bad with her it just frustrates me super bad

Use Ana bots and then turn on headshots only. They won't be able to kill you and you'll not only work on regular aim (which improves as a by product) but will improve your headshot aim.

Edit: triple benefit, it will really really help you get most efficient at killing Ana, which is pretty much always priority target

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Time to shill...

So the Overwatch University subreddit has an all-skill-levels rec league going on right now, and every week they stream 3 EU and 3 NA matches on the official stream at https://www.twitch.tv/owuniversity . Today, starting an hour from now (7 eastern) they'll have a set of matches with a pair of div 20 teams (roughly low-mid gold, one of which makes a point of running quad support comps), a pair of division 2 teams (High master), and a pair of division 11 teams (Plat). I'm going to be casting as the play by play announcer on them. It'll be a fun time to watch casts of Less Good Players if you are so inclined. And you can heckle my voice!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

When I'm playing winston games (mainly koth) now I sometimes look for opportunities where I can drop a bubble in ana's firing path but where the rest of her team will ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

hawowanlawow posted:

Same story here. Free weekend. PC.

No skins, but I think I got the 10 loot boxes, but got none of the other rewards despite doing the HOTS events.