Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

And Cyber-Brig.

Never forget Cyber-Brig

*salutes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Facebook Aunt posted:

This great season makes me retroactively more annoyed that they stretched out "who am I? am I a good man?" for a whole season.

Speaking of this season being so good it's almost annoying, how about we start a betting pool: what major issue will Peter Harness' story ham-fistedly reference and mishandle THIS time!?

My money's on nuclear armaments, given the context of the story we have so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cleretic posted:

My money's on nuclear armaments, given the context of the story we have so far.

Bill: But my mother protested for nuclear disarmament
Doctor: Well that was stupid, nuclear weapons are a good and desirable thing and there should be more of them!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are joking but I swear to God

Just please be a bland, boring episode that is just wrote and nothing important happens.

Please do that. Do that much. Don't try to tell a message because for God's Sake you are going to gently caress it to hell and back.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

And Cyber-Brig.

Never forget Cyber-Brig

*salutes*

I still maintain that the Brigade Leader's body followed Three to the normal universe ssssssssomehow and that, long after a lifetime of cowardice, he was given one final opportunity to be a hero and he took it.

Because our Brigadier already had his send-off with the phone call to Eleven, and I have a preference for the moronic over the insulting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In a surprise twist, Moffat's last episode is just Cyber-Briggs (that's the Brigadier with Nicholas Briggs's Cybervoice) sitting in front of a UNIT computer, slowly hunt-and-pecking at a keyboard and writing a report while he narrates it out loud, focusing on the Doctor's best monologues.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'd like to remark that I wish that the extremis aliens were more RTD and did have to be serious boring mummies.

With all the video game references they could've made them horrible alien gamerbros or creepy nerds. Yes a little of the tone would be sacrificed but again the mummies are so loving boring.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'd like to remark that I wish that the extremis aliens were more RTD and did have to be serious boring mummies.

With all the video game references they could've made them horrible alien gamerbros or creepy nerds. Yes a little of the tone would be sacrificed but again the mummies are so loving boring.

Maybe they used to horrible alien gamerbros and creepy nerds. They've been playing video games for 400 years. :spooky:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

SiKboy posted:

Veritas has shown the aliens that the best way to conquer earth is to persuade all humans that they are in a simulation, wait, and then sweep up the ones who didnt kill themselves.

For about half of its runtime I legit thought this was going to be the twist to the episode. Like just conning their victims into being suicidal/complacent enough to give up seems like it would be less resource-intensive than simulating an entire planet's history and processing all their various sentiences and THEN going on to invade and/or murderize. It'd be kind of a RTD-era gag for cheap villains with access to handwavium technology, but still.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ThaGhettoJew posted:

For about half of its runtime I legit thought this was going to be the twist to the episode. Like just conning their victims into being suicidal/complacent enough to give up seems like it would be less resource-intensive than simulating an entire planet's history and processing all their various sentiences and THEN going on to invade and/or murderize. It'd be kind of a RTD-era gag for cheap villains with access to handwavium technology, but still.

Kinda funny, because you described that and I thought of something like the aliens from The Girl Who Died. Enemies who conquer not by actual conquest, but by being really good at convincing their enemies to surrender.

...and now I'm remembering that that wasn't the ACTUAL thing with those aliens, it was just an interpretation, and now I want an alien race that explicitly is that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They botched the resolution, but I did like the idea in The Power of Three to lower humanity's guard by making them bored with the instruments of their destruction by just leaving them lying around for a year plus doing nothing till they just became part of the background.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder what the aliens would have done if humanity had just rounded up the cubes and buried them in the desert or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder what the aliens would have done if humanity had just rounded up the cubes and buried them in the desert or something.

Their original plan to conquer the world with ET video games suffered that fate.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I want to know where CERN got all those bugs bunny dynamite sticks from. I thought they would overload the accelerator, since the thing already blew up on its own already.

That's not how it works and it didn't blow up

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's not how it works and it didn't blow up

Blown up, ripped a hole in space time that sucked all of us into an alternate universe where the Nazis win 70 years after WWII; same difference.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cleretic posted:

Kinda funny, because you described that and I thought of something like the aliens from The Girl Who Died. Enemies who conquer not by actual conquest, but by being really good at convincing their enemies to surrender.

...and now I'm remembering that that wasn't the ACTUAL thing with those aliens, it was just an interpretation, and now I want an alien race that explicitly is that.

The next episode sounds like it's going to be similar to that at least, from the summary they put out. And then the episode after that sounds like it's possible they'll succeed...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

They botched the resolution, but I did like the idea in The Power of Three to lower humanity's guard by making them bored with the instruments of their destruction by just leaving them lying around for a year plus doing nothing till they just became part of the background.

We're going to be seeing a lot more of that kind of episode next year...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bicyclops posted:

We're going to be seeing a lot more of that kind of episode next year...

From what I've heard about his plans he's getting a writer's room together and wants to really break away from the format the new show has fallen into. Don't know how successful he will be allowed to be given what I've also heard about his hiring.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

From what I've heard about his plans he's getting a writer's room together and wants to really break away from the format the new show has fallen into. Don't know how successful he will be allowed to be given what I've also heard about his hiring.

Eh, I thought it was generally agreed that the writers he hired for his seasons of Torchwood were all surprisingly good.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

An obvious idea for a Doctor Who story is to do this with the Daleks. Have them change history so they're fictional aliens with loads of merchandise, then have everyone react to the Doctor saying they're real in the exact same way they would in our world.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How has this season been? I didn't like the Christmas Special that much so took a break.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought the one with Nick Frost was cute. I liked Santa's reaction to Capaldi-Doctor's questions - especially the masterstroke with the sack of toys - "How do you fit hundreds of thousands of toys into that one sack!" "Bigger on the inside :smug:"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Josh Lyman posted:

How has this season been? I didn't like the Christmas Special that much so took a break.

Possibly the best season since the show came back

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Extremely good, to the point I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop because it's been almost TOO consistently good so far.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

vegetables posted:

An obvious idea for a Doctor Who story is to do this with the Daleks. Have them change history so they're fictional aliens with loads of merchandise, then have everyone react to the Doctor saying they're real in the exact same way they would in our world.

That's KIND OF what the Jubilee audio story is. Sort of. A bit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

That's KIND OF what the Jubilee audio story is. Sort of. A bit.

The audio Renaissance of the Daleks also does a thing where the Daleks prevent their own invasion (from The Dalek Invasion of Earth) and begin mass producing little Dalek toys that all the kids are going nuts for, as they prepare to take over all of reality/time itself. This leads to a rather hilarious scene where a mini-Dalek is menacing the TARDIS crew until they realize,"Hey hang on, it's tiny and adorable" and just pick it up and carry it around while it screeches angrily at them to put it down :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poor Bill can never have a date :)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Jerusalem posted:

Poor Bill can never have a date :)

The Previously/Now thing was actually a rather clever way of doing a recap without it feeling like a recap.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plavski posted:

The Previously/Now thing was actually a rather clever way of doing a recap without it feeling like a recap.

Yeah I dug that, quite neatly done.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Is it Briggs on the voice work again?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Douglas is a loving idiot and I'm glad he's dead :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope that was intentional and not a sign of the episode tanking

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I was hoping it'd be something like The Destruction Factor where plants got modified and produced so much oxygen they became hyper flammable. But I guess rapidly composting people is good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just finished The Pilot. Heather was such a cutie. :3:

Bill seems to be a better actor than most companions.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The melting CGI work is really good. Like, way better than expected for Doctor Who.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Series status: continues to be good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I liked that, the streak continues :)

Please don't gently caress it up :pray:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jerusalem posted:

The audio Renaissance of the Daleks also does a thing where the Daleks prevent their own invasion (from The Dalek Invasion of Earth) and begin mass producing little Dalek toys that all the kids are going nuts for, as they prepare to take over all of reality/time itself. This leads to a rather hilarious scene where a mini-Dalek is menacing the TARDIS crew until they realize,"Hey hang on, it's tiny and adorable" and just pick it up and carry it around while it screeches angrily at them to put it down :3:

That reminds me of Flatliners, with the Tiny Tardis: "It's lighter..." "It's ALWAYS lighter, at it's true mass just landing would crack the Earth's crust!". I also loved "Don't you dare..."

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Plavski posted:

Series status: continues to be good.

You love the ssseriesss. Love is consssent...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Echoplex, did you say you'd left the show at this point? I only ask because that door lock looked like something out of Chocabloc.

• Locked thread