Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fartbox posted:

New Order was good. Are they making a sequel? It did okay didn't it?

There's a Bethesda project called New Colossus that was in a non alphabatised list below New Order and Old Blood at their E3 show last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fartbox posted:

New Order was good. Are they making a sequel? It did okay didn't it?

they will probaly announce at e3.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wait, they are waving actual crosses around though, are they not Christians then?

That's dumb, it's Bioshock Infinite all over again. I'll admit, I'm also disappointed; if they wanted to make an interesting statement, having "bad people killing in Christ's name" as a premise would be something a lot of people can relate to.

But no, just shallow trappings to sell a game that's likely nothing more than a remake of the previous game.

they are a weird splinter extremest doomsday sect aka a christian ISIS type cult. its not going to be 19th century white ultranationalism like infinite tried to do.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

They should have modelled them after those bundy morons from last year. Give one a crooked face and have another hide under a tarp

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they are a weird splinter extremest doomsday sect aka a christian ISIS type cult. its not going to be 19th century white ultranationalism like infinite tried to do.

Never forget infinte tried to imply that the rioting minorities were just as bad as the ultra racist slave owners

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Infinite implied that everyone was bad, including you, the protagonist

that's why you get drowned at the end too

everyone is poo poo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fartbox posted:

But I think monstrous enemies and weird stuff would be fun nowadays. It's boring to shoot mercs all the time

this is why Blood Dragon is still the best Far Cry game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fartbox posted:

Infinite implied that everyone was bad, including you, the protagonist

that's why you get drowned at the end too

everyone is poo poo

pretty much. i blame the game getting remade from the ground up like 5 times and cutting a ton of interesting poo poo and then forcing the various ideas and themes from all the builds in the final game that dont gel at all together. the vox were supposed to be anarchists/revolutionaries types and fitzroy was originally irish. then they decided it would fully be about race and tried to re do that but they kept half the old vox dialogue anyway, they were also neutral towards you in the beginning and didnt gently caress with you unless you hosed with them and they actually did bad stuff, like show trials and random murders, instead of shooting cops and soldiers. instead its just a weird COD type game thats all over the place with its themes and ideas. it has cool moments, like the house of heroes and parts of the beginning, but its all over the place and feels stitched together. poo poo just feels mashed together. like the not-klan hideout. its kinda just there. i read somewhere that was supposed to be its own level. but gently caress it just stick it in there.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Uncle Wemus posted:

They should have modelled them after those bundy morons from last year. Give one a crooked face and have another hide under a tarp

that will be the one mechanic they add to the game to justify the $60 purchase. hide under a tarp to ambush enemies as they investigate this giant tarp in the middle of the road

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It's the same thing with Crysis, that game was a blast until you start fighting aliens

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Halo is also an example of a game with pretty fun enemies to fight for the first half of the game, and then th flood show up and poo poo starts going downhill fast.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They should have aliens too

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Though I dont think there's anything wrong with aliens. But both in the case of FarCry and Crysis, the monsters/aliens were super boring to fight. The crysis squid things looked kinda cool but were just floating faceless boring turds. It was way more fun to sneak into a camp full of crazy asians who started screaming at shadows when you started messing with them

A good mix like New Order really was the best blend. You fight Nazis most of the time, but every now and then they bring along a loving mech to fight and stuff

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

turn off the TV posted:

Halo is also an example of a game with pretty fun enemies to fight for the first half of the game, and then th flood show up and poo poo starts going downhill fast.

I never understood or agreed with this criticism.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a bone to pick posted:

Yeah the flood gibbed real good ti was fun

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

a bone to pick posted:

The flood are just less interesting to fight. All that I can remember them doing is running towards you. There are ones that run at you with guns and there are two sizes of one that walks at you and explode.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

turn off the TV posted:

The flood are just less interesting to fight. All that I can remember them doing is running towards you. There are ones that run at you with guns and there are two sizes of one that walks at you and explode.

Yeah but it's literally a "flood" of zombie aliens pouring in at you. It gets really tense when they show up, for instance The Library is one of the hardest missions in Halo. It feels like a real alien zombie invasion sometimes which is why I was never bored fighting them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The Flood thing was kind of silly and the fact that they kept going back to it with identical storylines every game was pretty lame

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just defending the first Halo, the story pretty much falls apart after the first one.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I never played any of the other haloeses

What was the continued story like?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

a bone to pick posted:

Yeah but it's literally a "flood" of zombie aliens pouring in at you. It gets really tense when they show up, for instance The Library is one of the hardest missions in Halo. It feels like a real alien zombie invasion sometimes which is why I was never bored fighting them.

That's easily my least favorite mission of the game. It's tense because there's a good chance that if you die you're going to lose a decent chunk of progress and have to deal with more of a boring rear end slog. The last flood levels of Halo 3 basically jacked up this issue to an absurd level by throwing you into an incredibly drab brown gauntlet of bullet sponges.

Fartbox posted:

It turns out there are more halos and more flood and more covenant and master chief goes to the halo factory and blows it up.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fartbox posted:

the titty AI girl turns evil but also wants to gently caress master chief

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Fartbox posted:

I don't think anyone sane who has played the games knows or cares anymore.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

a bone to pick posted:

The Library is torturous but aside from that yeah

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

When master chief blows up the halo factory (I think it's called the ark?) cortana turns not evil again and they fly off into the horizon on a spaceship, never to be seen again until the sequel where they're fighting more covenant but this time the halo is an inside out planet. I'm not sure if there are still flood. I think that there are robots. In Halo 5 there is a second master chief and he wants to kill the first master chief, who is apparently bad and not good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Was Master Chief a incel?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Halo 2 is a lot like FarCry 5: racist religious hicks start invading territory and you have to go in and gently caress their poo poo up.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

halo 1 and 2 multiplayer were good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The Library is torturous but aside from that yeah

It's one of the most fun and intense co-op levels I've played. But then in newer games I never play "horde" mode or whatever because I've seen it already now invent something new TIA.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Library is great on co-op because you're usually killing all the bad guys quickly and not spending ten minutes chasing down one last little Flood guy on your own, only to then realize you've spun yourself around eight times and you end up going back the way you came for awhile because the entire level looks the same

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Halo went to poo poo after the original publisher left and Microsoft kept making them

The original games were great fun, I am an out of touch old man and don't know if there are any shooters like that anymore

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Library is great on co-op because you're usually killing all the bad guys quickly and not spending ten minutes chasing down one last little Flood guy on your own, only to then realize you've spun yourself around eight times and you end up going back the way you came for awhile because the entire level looks the same
Counterpoint: libraries are for nerds :rolleyes:

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Reach was the only great Halo game.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DO IT TO IT posted:

Game looks good. Cant wait to throw bait into a religous prepper compound and watch a bear go nuts on 'em.

I can't wait to steal all their gold.

Sweet sweet gold

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

a bone to pick posted:

I'm just defending the first Halo, the story pretty much falls apart after the first one.

That's because the first Halo actually played like the designers gave two shits about single player.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can't wait for Far Cry 6 which will be set in UK and where you'll get to play as a Muslim dude trying to cleanse the infidels.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

a bone to pick posted:

I think too it was technically impressive to have so many zombies in a game of the early Halo era

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jack Trades posted:

Can't wait for Far Cry 6 which will be set in UK and where you'll get to play as a Muslim dude trying to cleanse the infidels.

You mean as a doctor fighting a plague? Hardly a game in that :shrug:

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

CharlestonJew posted:

that will be the one mechanic they add to the game to justify the $60 purchase. hide under a tarp to ambush enemies as they investigate this giant tarp in the middle of the road

the mid game boss fight is a guy cowering under a tarp that you kill in a cutscene with a big ol dildo

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jack Trades posted:

Not gonna lie, this would rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Not gonna lie, this would rule

Of course it would.
Which is why people need to stop whining about what video games are and aren't "allowed" to do.

• Locked thread