Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So it seems like American politics, since the 90's, are stuck in a cycle something like this:

-Democratic president elected, economy greatly improves, has a relatively peaceful administration (Clinton), is continuously demonized by right wing media with mainstream media passive or somewhat complicit with this, thereby eroding support for an otherwise popular presidency

-GOP president narrowly elected, blows up economy while enriching friends, has disastrous foreign policy with many years of consequences

-Democratic president elected (Obama), spends entire term picking up pieces of broken economy and disastrous foreign policy, is continuously demonized by right wing media with mainstream media passive or somewhat complicit with this, thereby eroding support for an otherwise popular presidency

-GOP president narrowly elected, ...

So even assuming Democrats win the House in 2018 and the presidency in 2020, we're going to do worse than treading water if this cycle continues because some of the damage (like the damage to NATO and U.S./EU relations) may not be able to be undone in 4-8 years. How do we break this cycle? Does it require things like Fox News to somehow not have the influence over right wingers that it does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's reddit so they do have gore and dogfucking. Part of the r/jailbait fiasco was finding out that the mod for that subreddit also modded for poo poo like r/sexyfemalecorpses.

Getting that guy fired and dragged through the mud for being an absolute creep is probably among the better things SA has done.

Let the forum with no sex criminal mods in its past cast the first stone.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Low Desert Punk posted:

remember when fyad was funny

i don't

:2012:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sorus posted:

Peace through strength (power) is a Brotherhood of Nod thing, and they use a scorpion tail as an emblem. Trump often closed rallies with the scorpion and frog parable.

We're in the command and conquer universe aren't we?

There Brotherhood had a charismatic and awesome leader, do not compare him to Trump.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Sinteres posted:

Let the forum with no sex criminal mods in its past cast the first stone.

Yeah, but we're good about dragging our own through the mud as well.:aatrek:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zwabu posted:

So even assuming Democrats win the House in 2018 and the presidency in 2020, we're going to do worse than treading water if this cycle continues because some of the damage (like the damage to NATO and U.S./EU relations) may not be able to be undone in 4-8 years. How do we break this cycle? Does it require things like Fox News to somehow not have the influence over right wingers that it does?

We don't. It carries on and keeps getting worse until the climate collapses and hits the Off switch on civilization as we know it.

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.

Oxxidation posted:

We don't. It carries on and keeps getting worse until the climate collapses and hits the Off switch on civilization as we know it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zwabu posted:

So it seems like American politics, since the 90's, are stuck in a cycle something like this:

-Democratic president elected, economy greatly improves, has a relatively peaceful administration (Clinton), is continuously demonized by right wing media with mainstream media passive or somewhat complicit with this, thereby eroding support for an otherwise popular presidency

-GOP president narrowly elected, blows up economy while enriching friends, has disastrous foreign policy with many years of consequences

-Democratic president elected (Obama), spends entire term picking up pieces of broken economy and disastrous foreign policy, is continuously demonized by right wing media with mainstream media passive or somewhat complicit with this, thereby eroding support for an otherwise popular presidency

More boomers die every day, and eventually they won't be able to swing national elections any more. Look at the gap between white votes for Bush Jr. and white votes for Trump. Use things like celebrity boomer deaths as reference samples for how many white boomers are left. A new pattern will take hold eventually.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

She's holding his hand like she's walking an elderly person to the bathroom.

It is because he is frightened of stairs.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

business hammocks posted:

More boomers die every day, and eventually they won't be able to swing national elections any more. Look at the gap between white votes for Bush Jr. and white votes for Trump. Use things like celebrity boomer deaths as reference samples for how many white boomers are left. A new pattern will take hold eventually.
"Boomers" are no longer the problem, since 20-year-old alt-right anime Nazis are happily taking their place and putting people in office who are even worse.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

My Twitter Account posted:

"Boomers" are no longer the problem, since 20-year-old alt-right anime Nazis are happily taking their place and putting people in office who are even worse.

Yeah but there aren't nearly enough of those fuckwads to make up the numbers.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Roland Jones posted:

Besides that a lot of his voters were probably more anti-Hillary than pro-Trump, their opinions don't really matter.At least, his diehard supporters who still stand by him and will do so no matter what don't. Everyone else is either already against him or turning, and I don't think Mueller's investigation particularly cares about what the redcaps think either.

PLEASE, Mr. Jones. It's 'MAGA CHUDs'

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The millennial Nazis are far, far fewer in number compared to sane millennials. They're just loud, annoying, and seek attention more than anything.

A good fist does wonders.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Zwabu posted:

The problem with patterns like this is that they're not statistically significant. "Since the 90's" is only 25 years and saying that a few of the similarities between the Clinton-Bush presidencies and the Obama-Trump presidencies constitute a cycle that will perpetuate itself until broken is making a big assumption about the causes of those similarities. It would be sort of like someone predicting World War 3's imminence in 1973 because World War I happened, was followed by a boom then a depression, World War 2 happened, was followed by a boom then a recession. What follows in the pattern?

Historians and political scientists will need thousands of years of data before they can predict large scale political, social and economic trends and patterns with accuracy.

As for what we need to do to make things better, it's important that the left organize and motivate its base, challenge the political advantages the right has in gerrymandered districts and voter suppression tactics and articulate a unified and clear message to the electorate. To the average citizen this means making calls, putting up posters, donating money, knocking on doors, protesting, supporting labor rights, keeping yourself sane and hoping for the best.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Apparently this photo is from just after the walk - they were walking 700 yards to a traditional spot for a group photo.

Look at his face. Jesus.

I love the guy waving. Such a grandpa move.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mustached Demon posted:

The millennial Nazis are far, far fewer in number compared to sane millennials. They're just loud, annoying, and seek attention more than anything.

I too enjoy a good fisting.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

I love the guy waving. Such a grandpa move.

That's Shinzo Abe, who is, unfortunately, a vile motherfucker.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Ekster posted:

He's going to tweet up a storm again soon, don't worry about it.

Let's hope so. As long as he's tweeting, he is his own worst enemy and, therefore, the best hope to save America from himself :psyduck:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

As someone who literally advocates creating as stable and boring a society as possible through institutional inertia I'm quite comfortable saying that the dynamics of the political calculus are defined by the generation in charge, and for some reason the regime of the past 25 years decided to go all cards on the table and electing the oldest inauguration in history just to see if the final acts of the Baby Boomer Hate Golem Fire Orb philosophy could get it's way one last time before things have changed too much to fall out of their grasp.

If you want examples of how things will be different over the (god sakes) four years, consider the state of Fox News and Facebook over the past 4 months. Things have already changed, and in that same time we've become aware of the lack of humanity both literal and figurative on twitter.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah but there aren't nearly enough of those fuckwads to make up the numbers.

Reminder on the morning of 2016-11-08 some of the good poo poo before the great corncobbing was redditors not knowing they needed to reg. to vote even though they were on the D-Train for months.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

PLEASE, Mr. Jones. It's 'MAGA CHUDs'

Mega choads more like

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder on the morning of 2016-11-08 some of the good poo poo before the great corncobbing was redditors not knowing they needed to reg. to vote even though they were on the D-Train for months.

That was a big red flag that Trump had mobilized a big chunk of new (white) voters in hindsight.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PhazonLink posted:

I am sure that happened to someone somewhere but that was pretty clearly a wacky gimmick joke thing when you saw those "too perfect" screen shots.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are millions of old white men, and lots of them will die before 2020. Millennials aren't majority white (I'm pretty sure--it's around 50%) and there aren't as many of them. And twitter pepes are a very, very small minority that can't organize politically or socially. They rely entirely on the internet and haven't managed to do much to the wider culture. They played almost no role in getting Trump elected, especially compared to aging boomers.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

There Bias Two posted:

More like a Panic Room that he can barricade himself in once the Feds try to drag him out of the WH.

Not gonna happen as long as reps own everything
He could be the shittiest shitter that ever held the office, but he's a republican which means he cannot be left to fall

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mustached Demon posted:

https://twitter.com/submedia/status/867882336846659584

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Zwabu posted:

You're not wrong on foreign policy, but you shouldn't tie economic conditions to presidential administrations like this. The US economy moves in cycles of recession and growth and that's probably going to be true even with a thousand years of liberal darkness. The economy wasn't bad under GWB, for example, and there are lots of metrics where we still fall far short of the period between 2001 and 2008. Things improved under Obama's administration because growth cycles always follow recessions and if they didn't it would probably mean the US is literally collapsing. Recessions also have tons of causes that are more complex than the actions of any particular president or congress, and you can point the finger at Clinton and Reagan just as much as anyone else.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Does it?

I doubt someone punching him once would have stopped the Nazi murderer in Portland.

I have a feeling that this Nazi won't renounce Nazism over the beating.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

canepazzo posted:

Ok things are definitely starting to matter - he cancelled a rally:

https://twitter.com/tamarakeithNPR/status/868460478674210816

:sad: :smugdon: :sad:

Nothing mattered. He just needs a week or two of medical work and R&R to make up for his little party trip where France broke his hands

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
When are the right-wingers going to stop pretending they give a gently caress about Coptic Christians in Egypt?

It's a convenient scape-goat whenever the get killed by Muslims, but I don't see any of them calling for sanctions on Egypt.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Trabisnikof posted:

Does it?

I doubt someone punching him once would have stopped the Nazi murderer in Portland.

Would it have been worth a try?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Would it have been worth a try?

Sure, no reason not to punch him. But punching a Nazi doesn't actually seem to stop them from being Nazis.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure, no reason not to punch him. But punching a Nazi doesn't actually seem to stop them from being Nazis.

You punch Nazis for two reasons:

1) Because they are presently in need of some kinetic influence
2) Nazis that have not yet spoken up yet are given pause as to if they should.

I don't think anyone is writing a treatise on how punching Nazis won WW2 because they all threw their hands up and went "well sure showed me!"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ereguly/status/868401887858569216

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sounds like someone who legit earned a bullet to the brain. Don't make it expensive, just drag him to the nearest ditch and leave his body there afterwards. At least he'll do some good for the animals, insects and plants

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Trabisnikof posted:

I have a feeling that this Nazi won't renounce Nazism over the beating.

Yeah, last time we had to kill them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Alfa bank is suing Buzzfeed for the piss tapes:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/868220462253453314

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

https://twitter.com/WilliamTurton/status/868578244718723072

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Low Desert Punk posted:

Fascism never wins. It always gets better.

Late but the history of the late roman republic and early empire does not bear this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Normally when you call someone a turd it's a metaphor, but I honestly think Kim Dotcom was shat out in a truck-stop bathroom.

• Locked thread