Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I love Manos and have seen it with MST/Riff multiple times and I sat in a theater and saw the unriffed remaster and cackled the whole time. I love the movie, it's just so hauntingly inept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8kUgHsKWJc

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

This will always be one of my favorite MST3K moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

The full scene for some context,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-onWNxvSLVk

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crazy Ferret posted:

This will always be one of my favorite MST3K moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

The full scene for some context,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-onWNxvSLVk

That episode was delightfully insane. The Wild Wild World of Batwoman is one of my favorites next to The Beginning of the End.

I just discovered Pluto.tv which is an ad-supported (they have commercials) free Internet TV provider. I haven't really explored all the channels, but they have MSTK3K and RiffTrax channels. It seems they rotate through 4 or 5 episodes and change them out every day or so.

Shout Factory TV also has an on demand channel on Amazon Prime that runs about $2.99/mo. Haven't done that one so not sure how deep the MST3K library is for that. Plus I think they still play commercials.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 25, 2017

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Try the Manos restoration if you easily can. I watched it and honestly the horror vibe actually came through a little once you can actually see wtf you are looking at. I could almost appreciate it as a movie, for once.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

flosofl posted:

Shout Factory TV also has an on demand channel on Amazon Prime that runs about $2.99/mo. Haven't done that one so not sure how deep the MST3K library is for that. Plus I think they still play commercials.

I can confirm that the Amazon Prime Shout Factory channel has a fairly decent MST3k selection (it's basically most if not all the stuff that's available to purchase in the boxed sets), and also does not play commercials when you are watching episodes.

On a related note, there's also a fair bit of Rifftrax movies available on Prime Video now, too. They're part of the Prime subscription IIRC, so you shouldn't need to have a subscription to an additional channel to watch them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is the selection on the Amazon channel different than what Shoutfactory offers for free on their website?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is the selection on the Amazon channel different than what Shoutfactory offers for free on their website?

Yes, their website, their app and their amazon channel can all have different episodes based on weird rights issues.

Here is what's on their amazon channel right now.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

precision posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't think Manos is a top 10 episode. I prefer the rifftrax live version.

This is me, except replace Manos with Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What was going on with all those jokes about the lawyer being a baby in the Christmas episode? I felt like I missed the setup really early on.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Arivia posted:

What was going on with all those jokes about the lawyer being a baby in the Christmas episode? I felt like I missed the setup really early on.

I thought it was because he enjoyed playing with all those toys just a bit too much. Who ever did the voice over for the lawyer did him no favors, either.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

His forced "watch me!" whimsy is really creepy and the "I'm a bayyyybe!" thing just does a really good job of capturing it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Arivia posted:

The guy who plays the lawyer wrote the movie, so the joke is he wrote it to live out his own childish fantasy.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Amazon Kindle deal: Mary Jo Pehl tells all in her book Employee of The Month And Other Big Deals $3.99

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The guy from Paste who ranked every MST3K episode made a new list ranking the 14 new episodes. Can't say I agree with half of it, though it's interesting how it's bookended by the two Wizards of the Lost Kingdom movies.

My own personal ranking:

14. At the Earth's Core
13. Starcrash
12. The Christmas that Almost Wasn't
11. The Beast of Hollow Mountain
10. Reptilicus
9. Yongary
8. The Land that Time Forgot
7. Avalanche
6. Carnival Magic
5. Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2
4. Wizards of the Lost Kingdom
3. The Time Travelers
2. The Loves of Hercules
1. Cry Wilderness

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Avalanche, Starcrash, Wizards II, and Christmas are definitely the top episodes for me, and probably the only ones I'll actively revisit.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm gonna have to rewatch the entire season again before ranking things.

Also, where the gently caress is the renewal? Come on, Netflix!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Cry Wilderness is in my top five episodes of the show, period. The best of the season IMO are that, Avalanche, Carnival Magic, and Hollow Mountain. I've also got a soft spot for Reptilicus for starting the whole thing off with a bang.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

TL posted:

Cry Wilderness is in my top five episodes of the show, period. The best of the season IMO are that, Avalanche, Carnival Magic, and Hollow Mountain. I've also got a soft spot for Reptilicus for starting the whole thing off with a bang.

BANG!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crazy Ferret posted:

I've tried twice and I've yet made it though Hamlet.

I teach English and legitimately like Hamlet but that movie feels like weaponized Ambien.

God its just dull. You could tell me that Mike and gang reveal the secret to happiness and the cure for cancer in the second half of the movie and I'd still not make it through.

The one and only time I've watched the Hamlet episode was the day it first aired, I can appreciate the fact that they did it but woof you can't squeeze blood from a stone.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's amazing that Hamlet came right in the middle of the tenth and best season.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Avalanche, Starcrash, The Land that Time Forgot, Loves of Hercules, and the first Wizards are my favorites for this season and the ones I rewatch the most.

It took me a while to be able to settle into the Manos episode, but it's WAY more bearable than Monster a Go Go. There's actual music for one thing!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What one episode has everyone watched the most?

Aside from some obvious picks like Mitchell, for some reason I love The Beatniks so much.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
High School Big Shot (because I laugh at the character's pain), Terror From the Year 5000, Agent from H.A.R.M... I go back to a lot of Mike episodes.

I Accuse my Parents is a Joel ep I rewatch a lot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Agent From H.A.R.M. is a top 10 for me, easy

DAH DAH DUH CRAP!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
It's going to take a couple watches before I really land on which episodes were my absolute favorites this season, especially because I'm pretty sure the excitement over NEW probably fogged up some of my opinions.

But the Wizards movies and Cry Wilderness are definitely up there. I really enjoyed Yongary too.

Frankly the only episode that has kind of missed for me was Starcrash, just because it felt like they couldn't do anything to make that goofy movie funnier. There were some good gags in there, but it kinda fell flat for me.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

precision posted:

Aside from some obvious picks like Mitchell, for some reason I love The Beatniks so much.

The Incredibly Strange Creatures is one of my faves.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

On a related note, there's also a fair bit of Rifftrax movies available on Prime Video now, too. They're part of the Prime subscription IIRC, so you shouldn't need to have a subscription to an additional channel to watch them.

Crikey, yes -- Mr Boods and I watched Guy from Harlem last night.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

precision posted:

Got to be Cave Dwellers -- it was the very first one I got on home video, back in the day. (On VHS, if you believe that.)

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

precision posted:

Time Chasers for me. Something about the silly movie and the great riffs just make it an easy pick and perfect background on rough days.

"The guy's office is in a branch library."

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Mitchell and I Accuse my parents. Everything just works on those. Followups: Overdrawn at the memory bank and The Pumaman.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

precision posted:

Almost certainly Jack Frost.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!
The Final Sacrifice is probably the one that I return to most often. Other contenders are Pod People, Time Chasers, and Soultaker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that's kind of weird is watching old episodes after the new season. The 4:3 ratio makes everything look really cramped.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Compendium posted:

I Accuse my Parents is a Joel ep I rewatch a lot.

quack quack quack quack

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

WingsOfSteel posted:

The Final Sacrifice is probably the one that I return to most often. Other contenders are Pod People, Time Chasers, and Soultaker.

This guy knows what's up.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WingsOfSteel posted:

That's a pretty drat solid list.

For some reason I also revisit Overdrawn at the Memory Bank. It's just so...weird and yet Raul Julia's charm manages to make it somewhat watchable.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Space Mutiny. I used to see it all the time back when MST3k was on Sci Fi.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Almost certainly Jack Frost.

Jack Frost for me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ringu0 posted:

Jack Frost for me too

And me. It's just perfect.