Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

What are the benefits of each government type? So far from what I've played/seen democracy seems crazy good compared to the others, build some stations and get a nice chunk of influence every ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

What are the benefits of each government type? So far from what I've played/seen democracy seems crazy good compared to the others, build some stations and get a nice chunk of influence every ten years.

Here.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Your ruler gets a third trait when they level up and one of the Imperial only civics raises leader skill level so... that kinda exists

Philosopher King can also be grabbed by Dictators according to the wiki. Only imperial only civic is Imperial Cult, -33% to edict costs, which also requires authoritarian and spiritualist.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I don't think it's mentioned anywhere, but Imperial government types can recruit one personal bodyguard unit per leader. It's only a land assault unit with slightly better stats though. So I suppose another small thing imperial has over a Dictatorship is a tiny bit of flavor that won't make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
38 Fanatic Purifier kinetic corvettes
vs
1 spaceport

Guess who wins

http://imgur.com/a/cp4FB

:wtc:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Gadfly posted:

38 Fanatic Purifier kinetic corvettes
vs
1 spaceport

Guess who wins

http://imgur.com/a/cp4FB

:wtc:

Missiles are hella good against early game vette rushes. I'll change my strategy completely if a prospective target has them.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Yeah missiles get (rightly) poo poo on here but their problems are mostly late game. Starting out they feel like the strongest weapon by a good bit.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Not enough guns.

Spaceports mount 2 Large, 2 mediums, 4 small of their weapon type, all with double damage(so they're equivalent to end-game equipment in terms of damage despite only being technically a marginal upgrade on Tier 1) and triple fire rate, and upgrades to the port take this even higher.

Most of them probably never got in range before being mulched, especially since spaceport missiles, much like normal missiles, have 100% accuracy and 70% tracking(it says here in the weapon.csv file-So your corvettes can't dodge any of them, even the Large, right now).

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 27, 2017

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I think I could've taken it out if I had just 2 more corvettes. The battle was really close, the starport had about 5% health at the end. But still, it would've cost me my entire fleet to take out, so it's just probably not worth it to attack empires with missile starting tech in the early game unless you can mass about 50 fanatical purifier corvettes or 60 non FP corvettes.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

misguided rage posted:

Yeah missiles get (rightly) poo poo on here but their problems are mostly late game. Starting out they feel like the strongest weapon by a good bit.

what's a good load out for the end game? I only recently realized that missiles weren't cutting it like they when I last played and I don't think I've found a fleet set up I was super happy with.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TTBF posted:

what's a good load out for the end game? I only recently realized that missiles weren't cutting it like they when I last played and I don't think I've found a fleet set up I was super happy with.

I can't remember if it changed but long range kinetic weapons are really good on destroyers/battleships. Particularly kinetic artillery, though you can skip the XL weapons if you want.

Cruisers should have some combination of Flak and Plasma. Usually more plasma then flak, but I don't know if the ratio is gonna make or break you.

Corvettes can have Photon torps if you want or some mix of kinetics/plasma. Autocannons are fun too.

There's other good combinations but the above certainly works on almost anything. Though if you are fighting end game crises there can be certain load outs that work better since unbidden/swarm always have very particular strengths/weaknesses.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 27, 2017

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I was bombing a primitive race from orbit so they'd stop being on a planet I wanted. Destroyed all their buildings, killed all but one population, just waiting on the last one to die so I can go colonise the ruins.

The fuckers kill themselves in nuclear hellfire and turn the planet into a tomb world before I can kill the last one. :argh:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

It was spite, gently caress you.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Scorched earth. You wanted their planet, they denied it to you by making it worthless even at the cost of their own lives since you were exterminating them anyway.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I'm going to terraform it and rename it Pointless Gesture. :mad:

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I'm disappointed you can't just terraform planets with a primitive race on them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why are the pirates flying fyad ships

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Korgan posted:

I was bombing a primitive race from orbit so they'd stop being on a planet I wanted. Destroyed all their buildings, killed all but one population, just waiting on the last one to die so I can go colonise the ruins.

The fuckers kill themselves in nuclear hellfire and turn the planet into a tomb world before I can kill the last one. :argh:
This has been at least outer limits episode.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

They always have, they have the best namelist.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

you don't want that ship, it has a hosed-up hole

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I didn't know you could get longships in space

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Never underestimate the Space Vikings.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My kingdom for an ethics attraction hotfix

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

GenericOverusedName posted:

They always have, they have the best namelist.
Never noticed those names, now I need that namelist for my empire.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Who was the goon with the mod that the abused the resource mechanics to limit the number of a building you could build in your empire? I want to steal your hard work for a lovely mod I'm making.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh hey, I picked this up because Humble Bundle has it for $12 on their monthly game pack special. I'm just staring and I'm wondering, is the in-game tutorial sufficient, or is more like when I've played Crusader Kings II where the tutorial helps, but I need to learn a lot of the mechanics through wikis and guides? I mean, I don't care, I have something like 1200 hours in CKII, I'd just like to know if I need to learn the mechanics off-game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The tutorial is adequate. You will stil end up looking up random poo poo to figure out for example ideal ship builds but it's not as opaque as ck2 or eu4

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So, I'd like to edit my ironman save to have the country flag modifier technosphere_secrets so that I can get the Pantagruel event outcome for the Infinity Machine and get this silly luck based cheevo. Question is, where would I insert the text in the save file? I'm unsure where the country flag would go, or exact syntax beyond technosphere_secrets.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

The tutorial is adequate. You will stil end up looking up random poo poo to figure out for example ideal ship builds but it's not as opaque as ck2 or eu4

Thanks! Good to know.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
So I haven't played in about 6 geez even maybe 9 months, so I missed all of the updates and fixes. I Reloaded it so it was like playing a new game . My old save of my xenophile militant scientists that I conquered half of the Galaxy with no longer works, so I tweak my species a little bit to make them more egalitarian and began again. My neighbours are Earth, who are also federation builders, so we entered into some nice diplomatic trading early on. To my right in this spiral galaxy is a militant stagnant ascendancy. They merely told me to stay the gently caress out of their system or they will Crush me like the insects I am. Fair enough . Just outside of my borders is a nice system about halfway between my space and their space, so I build a frontier outpost in it so I can get those sweet minerals. Apparently this is more than enough for the militant ascendancy to declare war on me. 90 k fleets show up in each of my three inhabited systems, and then proceed to destroy all my space ports, mining outposts, and then destroy the defences of my home world. They then laughed at me and left.

It's certainly made the game more interesting.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What the hell is the point of the army avatar for psychics? It's basically 2-3 regular psychic armies instead of getting a 15k fleet. In what situation is this a good trade???

I spent several hours maxing out my unity gain early game so I could get into the shroud as fast as possible and i get this 150 energy and 750 minerals worth of armies.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Captain Oblivious posted:

So, I'd like to edit my ironman save to have the country flag modifier technosphere_secrets so that I can get the Pantagruel event outcome for the Infinity Machine and get this silly luck based cheevo. Question is, where would I insert the text in the save file? I'm unsure where the country flag would go, or exact syntax beyond technosphere_secrets.
I tried this recently, but it didn't work for me. Not sure when I hosed up, because my save was broken after. But you can try, you add it after technosphere_studied=some number. You add technosphere_secrets=some number (same as in technosphere_studied).
Also, I think you can't edit ironman save?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Nitrousoxide posted:

What the hell is the point of the army avatar for psychics? It's basically 2-3 regular psychic armies instead of getting a 15k fleet. In what situation is this a good trade???

I spent several hours maxing out my unity gain early game so I could get into the shroud as fast as possible and i get this 150 energy and 750 minerals worth of armies.

(bad) Luck of the draw. You could have ended up with the space avatar OR some even shittier bonus. Or none at all. Try again later!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
lol I love that they didn't even make it a particularly good army

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

titanic beast steps on avatar, wonders what all the fuss was about

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

titanic beast steps on avatar, wonders what all the fuss was about

I love my titanic sons

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nitrousoxide posted:

There seems to be this weird disconnect where Paradox thinks somebody, anybody, actually cares about the army minigame.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'd like to. If only to make protecting your planets ground-side actually worthwhile. But the attacker can always blitz you by numbers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bohemian Nights posted:

(bad) Luck of the draw. You could have ended up with the space avatar OR some even shittier bonus. Or none at all. Try again later!

You can only get one after ever though right? I've tried again several more times and the avatar has never come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure you can only have one at a time, but if you lose the avatar you can get another. Also unlike you might expect, the chance to get an avatar isn't removed from the pool, it's replaced by a generic vision instead which has a choice between 3 buffs. So having the army doesn't increase your chance of actually getting cool stuff.

• Locked thread