Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

Can I not quantum trash dump my stone anymore? The mason is ignoring the pile and going for the farthest possible stone every time. Yes, I reclaimed the stone.

Have you designated the tile as a stockpile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Asproigerosis posted:

Can I not quantum trash dump my stone anymore? The mason is ignoring the pile and going for the farthest possible stone every time. Yes, I reclaimed the stone.

Is it the farthest stone, though? In the hosed up logic of dwarven minds?

The search for materials is a bit hosed up, and doesn't take the Z axis into account. So if it is a choice between the pile of stones that is 8 tiles to the right, or that stone that is 1 tile to the right and 80 Z levels below, the dwarf will think that the latter is the closer one. And then path down to get the really far away stone.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

To my understanding it's not quite like that, rather, Z distance is counted equally to X and Y distance, but the dwarves don't include pathing distance in determining which object is closer, and fortresses are rarely designed in such a way that a short Z distance is actually a short path. Your dwarves see a stone 1 Z level above them as being closer than a stone 4 tiles to the right of them, even though they have to walk 100 tiles to get to the stone the level above them. Or that's what I thought, anyway.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

hailthefish posted:

To my understanding it's not quite like that, rather, Z distance is counted equally to X and Y distance, but the dwarves don't include pathing distance in determining which object is closer, and fortresses are rarely designed in such a way that a short Z distance is actually a short path. Your dwarves see a stone 1 Z level above them as being closer than a stone 4 tiles to the right of them, even though they have to walk 100 tiles to get to the stone the level above them. Or that's what I thought, anyway.

The easiest way around the issue is to have the work shop take ONLY from the stockpile or the stockpile only GIVE to the workshop. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I apparently build a monastery, based on the fact that my dorfs are constantly praying or meditating.

:wtc:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RFC2324 posted:

I apparently build a monastery, based on the fact that my dorfs are constantly praying or meditating.

:wtc:

I'm sure your brutally enforced state religion was an "accident," yes.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
a new build of dfhack is out, and it solved a weird mousequery/box-select bug i was having, unfortunately I can't get TWBT to work with it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

darkhand posted:

a new build of dfhack is out, and it solved a weird mousequery/box-select bug i was having, unfortunately I can't get TWBT to work with it.

Good, now that it's all caught up we can probably expect Toady to release the new version within the week

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I got TWBT to work by building the plugin and pointing to the new DFHack source. Now I can go back to restarting my embarks because I don't like the /color/ of the sand.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

darkhand posted:

I got TWBT to work by building the plugin and pointing to the new DFHack source. Now I can go back to restarting my embarks because I don't like the /color/ of the sand.

I'm sure someone could figure out a way to change the color of the sand on your map with dfhack

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

Invader demands went more or less as planned, though I have bits to finish. If a sieging army wants to talk, there's an initial petition to arrange a parley, which is not delivered physically -- they hang back outside in relative safety, since you people have a tendency to drop magma on things. If you ignore the petition, they'll attack eventually, otherwise, a dwarf will go out and negotiate. To make it fair, the invaders will never attack your dwarf until they have time to get back inside, even if negotiations go poorly -- ideally there'd be some sort of middle ground where the meeting occurs, but we don't have time to get through the complications of that now.

In any case, if you have the requested artifact, you can bring it to the enemy commander, or you can refuse. If you don't have it, you can pass along what you know, or you can refuse. An agreement acts as a peace deal which will last as long as those things normally last (it has a positive effect on relations for years which may or may not overcome existing hostile attitudes, and the effect is especially strong in the first few years).

Come on, Tarn. Let us magma the guy. Just create some consequences.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If they're on the map, you can drop magma on them. It's just harder if you can't get them to go through a specific spot.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If ToadyOne knows anything about gamers, he should also let you lie about having the artifact. Like if a giant goblin army comes and goes "Give us the table!" you can go "The Elves have the wooden table. Go bother them."

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lying is always something I felt should be in more games. It's in some nowadays with the [Lie] prefix on dialogue choices, but it should be in any that have numbers-based quests. Oh yes definitely I killed five bears, of course. Yeah. I also went and killed that ogre in that cave.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Including lying means you have to model responses to lying, which is pretty complex stuff, and will probably come away feeling like an alien trying to describe human interactions unless it's all hand-crafted, which is a shitload of work and obviously doesn't really apply to a game like Dwarf Fortress.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Including lying means you have to model responses to lying, which is pretty complex stuff, and will probably come away feeling like an alien trying to describe human interactions unless it's all hand-crafted, which is a shitload of work and obviously doesn't really apply to a game like Dwarf Fortress.

I cant tell if your serious in thinking that toady wont spend a year coding lying, scrutiny, and motive sensing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hihohe posted:

I cant tell if your serious in thinking that toady wont spend a year coding lying, scrutiny, and motive sensing.

I'm sure he will, and it'll be just as weird and half-functional as dwarven happiness and sociability.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hihohe posted:

He already is, with all the secret agent stuff

https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/820824730001248256

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Toady coded in eyelids and every single tooth in a mouth.

Lying is not off the spectrum.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
He doesn't need to program separate lying mechanics if he just makes a fully functional brain simulation.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Hihohe posted:

I thought this was in to some extent. Something about disguises and mass dissemination of misinformation.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To fool the town sheriff into believing that he killed the ogre that was terrorizing the area, Urist disguises himself as an ogre and then pretends to kill himself. The ruse is so convincing that when Urist asks the sheriff for the reward while still wearing the ogre disguise the sheriff dispatches a new quest to rid the town of an ogre ghost haunting the villagers.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Addamere posted:

To fool the town sheriff into believing that he killed the ogre that was terrorizing the area, Urist disguises himself as an ogre and then pretends to kill himself. The ruse is so convincing that when Urist asks the sheriff for the reward while still wearing the ogre disguise the sheriff dispatches a new quest to rid the town of an ogre ghost haunting the villagers.

"ahahah hell yea own yourself again, I'll post a bounty real quick"

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Addamere posted:

Had to check to make sure that wasn't a real devlog

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:eyepop:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm feeling the siren call of this game again. I'll start building a new fort. Because all of my previous forts eventually fell to micromanagement and framerate entropy, I'll build a totally pragmatic fort this time. That means I'll:
- Refrain from building a retardedly big entrance with a moat. It shall be a simple hole in a wall somewhere with a bridge and minimal moating
- Build asymmetrically without trying to make everything "majestic" and stupid and ending up with a lot of useless stone and space just because I want one side of my grand hall to look the same as the other side
- Build on multiple levels with a central stairwell, instead of trying to make sprawling nonsense on 1 z level just because it looks cool
- Focus on training a good military asap and kicking the asses of everything that comes by instead of spending my time crafting gold statues to put next to a 5 tile wide main road like I usually do.
- Try not to build a really elaborate killing mechanism for prisoners. Just a 10 z level pit with some copper pikes at the bottom will do. I will not set up an elaborate trap for a cave crocodile in order that I may capture and train one to eat prisoners.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My best advise for that is try to follow the ore seams. Why dig out a straight hallway when you already have all these twisting passages. Hit the caverns, build vertically through the solid rock areas, wrapping around the features you find. The forts come out looking eclecticly beautiful.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I try to make all of my gem deposits into their own tiny rooms or alcoves. Back when the floors were laced with the precious stuff that added to value, they made for great tombs. 3x3 room, eight coffins surrounding a golden statue, brick up the doorway when all vacancies are gone.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Shibawanko posted:

I'm feeling the siren call of this game again. I'll start building a new fort. Because all of my previous forts eventually fell to micromanagement and framerate entropy, I'll build a totally pragmatic fort this time. That means I'll:
- Refrain from building a retardedly big entrance with a moat. It shall be a simple hole in a wall somewhere with a bridge and minimal moating
- Build asymmetrically without trying to make everything "majestic" and stupid and ending up with a lot of useless stone and space just because I want one side of my grand hall to look the same as the other side
- Build on multiple levels with a central stairwell, instead of trying to make sprawling nonsense on 1 z level just because it looks cool
- Focus on training a good military asap and kicking the asses of everything that comes by instead of spending my time crafting gold statues to put next to a 5 tile wide main road like I usually do.
- Try not to build a really elaborate killing mechanism for prisoners. Just a 10 z level pit with some copper pikes at the bottom will do. I will not set up an elaborate trap for a cave crocodile in order that I may capture and train one to eat prisoners.

My downfall is always trying to set up an exotic animal farm... But Unicorn burgers are just too delicious to pass up.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Toady One posted:

Kobold caves are well underway. Suffocated due to a weapon trap coated with giant cave spider venom. The site layouts are a little more involved now than the up-down natural caves, spreading out over a few z levels with some traps, guard posts, living chambers, animals, eggs and stolen objects. I've been working with the old entity animal code, but the next step is to update that to allow more control over entities and their animals. For vanilla DF now, that'll be so kobolds can focus on poisonous creatures, but hopefully it'll be a bit more flexible for everybody, probably focusing on creature classes and tokens. The old tags will still work as usual.

Kobolds will finally have a home to call their own get sacked by adventurers.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Been ages since I've played this, and I don't remember poo poo. Lets see how I gently caress up and die. I think I'll start up a little oceanside fishing fort.
Looks like a good place.

Sounds well stocked.

My starting seven have two miners, a fisherman, a mechanic, a grower (can't brew fish), a brewer, and a cook. Anybody out of work can clean fish, I figure.

The starting location. Time to start messing this poo poo up.

Any suggestions for a super-rusty player who wants to establish a nice little fishing trade?

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Use the hostile sea creatures you capture to fill the ocean moat. Then die from fps-death from all the water based mechanisms.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Remind me, is river/stream water salty if you embark near an ocean?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes.

You will have to either desalinate it via a pump, or dig to caves where it should be fresh.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Can someone explain to me why anyone gives a poo poo about the presence of water or its salinity? Guides and comments all over the place make the implication that it's crucially important to have fresh water, but the only use I can think of for it is cleaning wounds and I tend not to even gently caress with a medical industry for several seasons and by then I've found the caverns. What's the big deal about early fresh water?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Well, it's nice to have the fallback so if your booze production takes a fall you have water to drink.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Addamere posted:

Can someone explain to me why anyone gives a poo poo about the presence of water or its salinity? Guides and comments all over the place make the implication that it's crucially important to have fresh water, but the only use I can think of for it is cleaning wounds and I tend not to even gently caress with a medical industry for several seasons and by then I've found the caverns. What's the big deal about early fresh water?

I don't like losing wounded dwarves and I don't like the effect pump stacks have on FPS, so my reservoirs are always based on tapping a river.

e: to clarify, wounded dwarves will not drink alcohol, only water (and it has to be brought to them, so a nearby source is best -- and if you're under siege you can't really get it from outside.)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Addamere posted:

Dwarves get happier with an active well around, emergency drinking water in case of a farming/distilling fuckup, hospital care, just never having to worry about drinking ever again. If it's not saline you don't have to gently caress around with a pump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Two words: water world.