Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Use tear, use elements, treat your normal bow like a semi-auto that shoots three times a second. When that stuff clicked for me, hunting big machines got really fun. Aloy's melee is actually not that great so if you're relying on that, there might be some other aspects of the combat worth practicing.

Tear makes weak points larger, freeze will give you way more time to hit them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The ridiculous gulf in writing and acting quality between Horizon's backstory and actual plot still weirds me out. I'm at the Zero Dawn facility and all of the holograms and voice files of these people trying to create a Restart button for the entire ecosystem on a 16-month deadline is top-notch stuff. And not an hour ago, I did the Queen's Gambit sidequest, which sounds like it was acted out by interns and written about as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Buy purple weapons asap. Ammo types are tied to weapon color and the game isnt fun until you get them imo

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cubicle gangster posted:

Also I don't think I really like combat in horizon. Just did the womb of all mother fight, and fighting big machines is just not fun? Trying to plink away with arrows that take ages to get ready while the machines jump about all over the place, slow time isnt anywhere near slow enough and by far the best and most effective way to take something down I am finding is to charge in mashing r1 and chugging health potions. Maybe I am not good enough at aiming using a controller for this game, in a fast paced fight I can't hit anything with my arrows, let alone a tiny yellow square on it's back.

dont forget to use your elemental stuff. freezing makes arrows do a surprising amount of extra damage

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I just bought Wolfenstein for less than £4 and it's loving awesome! I realise how behind the times that makes me, but I'm having fun.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I just bought Wolfenstein for less than £4 and it's loving awesome! I realise how behind the times that makes me, but I'm having fun.

I only got it during the christmas sale about two years ago, I never played it on PS3. It's one of my favourite games ever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

cubicle gangster posted:

Also I don't think I really like combat in horizon. Just did the womb of all mother fight, and fighting big machines is just not fun? Trying to plink away with arrows that take ages to get ready while the machines jump about all over the place, slow time isnt anywhere near slow enough and by far the best and most effective way to take something down I am finding is to charge in mashing r1 and chugging health potions. Maybe I am not good enough at aiming using a controller for this game, in a fast paced fight I can't hit anything with my arrows, let alone a tiny yellow square on it's back.

You should never feel as if you're plinking away on the robots, even on higher difficulties. It's important to expose their vulnerabilities with tear arrows + elemental effects or bring them down with the ropecaster + traps, then go to town on their weak points.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Freezing machines makes you do like, at least double damage.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So did anyone else bite the bullet on that Friday the 13th game?

I balked at that initial price ($53 CAD?!) but I watched it for a few hours on Twitch and decided to roll the dice on it and I'm really glad I did. The counselor gameplay is so tense and really requires you to work together with other players to survive, but then the Jason gameplay makes you feel like a God when you use your powers properly. It REALLY shines though when you have a lobby full of people with microphones because it's exactly the kind of game that benefits from it. My first games were with a lobby full of people all miced up and it was some of most fun, lively online gameplay I've had in ages. It's got proximity-based voice chat so you all have to stick together to hear each other unless you all find radios, but Jason can also hear you if he gets close and talk to you too so it's a double-edged sword. You wouldn't think a lobby full of yelling teenagers and southerners would be so fun but when they go from shittalking you as they run away then legitimately screaming mid-sentence as you teleport in front of them it's all worth it. It just sucks that it takes so long to find a game and the servers are kind of wonky, it took me 15 minutes to find a game and after 4 games I dropped out. On the plus side though once you finish a game the group stays together and given how long it takes to find a game nobody really leaves, so once you get a group full of fun people on voice chat it's a blast.

That price is so painful though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

So did anyone else bite the bullet on that Friday the 13th game?

I balked at that initial price ($53 CAD?!) but I watched it for a few hours on Twitch and decided to roll the dice on it and I'm really glad I did. The counselor gameplay is so tense and really requires you to work together with other players to survive, but then the Jason gameplay makes you feel like a God when you use your powers properly. It REALLY shines though when you have a lobby full of people with microphones because it's exactly the kind of game that benefits from it. My first games were with a lobby full of people all miced up and it was some of most fun, lively online gameplay I've had in ages. It's got proximity-based voice chat so you all have to stick together to hear each other unless you all find radios, but Jason can also hear you if he gets close and talk to you too so it's a double-edged sword. You wouldn't think a lobby full of yelling teenagers and southerners would be so fun but when they go from shittalking you as they run away then legitimately screaming mid-sentence as you teleport in front of them it's all worth it. It just sucks that it takes so long to find a game and the servers are kind of wonky, it took me 15 minutes to find a game and after 4 games I dropped out. On the plus side though once you finish a game the group stays together and given how long it takes to find a game nobody really leaves, so once you get a group full of fun people on voice chat it's a blast.

That price is so painful though.

You just totally sold me on this and now I really want to play it.

That price really is just wayyy too much for an impulse buy though. Especially considering it's multiplayer only right?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Database Login Failure is stopping me from playing the loving thing, but six people on my friends have had zero issues. It's infuriating.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

exquisite tea posted:

go to town on their weak points.

yeah thats my issue, I cant aim for poo poo with this thing. I cant hit a god drat thing unless my target is perfectly still and I can take my time.
I guess i'm too used to console shooters that have a little auto aim or aid, plus the rhythm of button presses to fire an arrow keeps throwing me off. the number of times i've got my aim perfect and gone to shoot, only to then start nocking the arrow is easily more times than i've actually hit machines with the things. the view sensitivity is different depending on having an arrow nocked, being in slow mo, running or crouching too so i'm constantly getting thrown off and over/under shooting my aim.
it's almost, but not quite as bad as prey. that has a constant unpredictable aim speed based on time, but this constantly changes the aim speed based on context. if it stayed the same or let me gently caress with it i'd probably be fine.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 27, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Jason gameplay is legit some of the most fun I've had online in ages. He unlocks more powers the longer the game progresses and they all work on cooldowns, so at first he has the power to Morph (fast travel) to any point on the map, and then he gets Sense which lets him detect where scared counselors are within a certain radius, then Shift which is a limited controllable fast travel that lets you jump short bursts to cut people off, and a stealth mode Stalk that lets you sneak up on people better. When enough time passes Jason unlocks Rage mode which ups his power to the point where he can bust through doors with ease and smash through certain WALLS. He's not invincible though, as counselors can use weapons they find to stun you and knock you off other players. So if the counselor team isn't well coordinated then Jason can rip through them and a lot of this requires being able to manage your cooldowns and use these abilities effectively. The counselors have a fear mechanic that makes them easier to detect as they run from you and uncover dead bodies, and as it further progresses it removes the HUD and can cause tunnel vision which is a nice touch.

There's also multiple different playable Jasons with different load outs, abilities and weaknesses, plus unlockable Kills so you can really get gory and start ripping people's jaws off or smashing your axe into their crotch. Same deal with counselors too, a dozen or so with different stats, changable clothing, and they get rollable perks of various rarity with different strengths and weaknesses, so I just got one that reduces incoming damage by 30% but makes me more likely to stumble when fleeing from Jason. There's all these different win conditions too! You can fix the car or the boat and get away, or you can find the CB radio and call in Tommy Jarvis with his shotgun to come kill him (which gives a killed/escaped player a second chance to play!), or call the cops and escape when they arrive, or even kill Jason if they manage to deal enough damage!

My favorite moment so far was stumbling onto a group of 3 people running along the shoreline, chasing one off to kill him and as he's dying he's telling his friends to get to the boat so I kill him, turn around, fast travel to the boat and catch them almost there, and one of the players is Tommy with the gun and he's talking about shooting me, so I pull my spare throwing knife and hit him with it just as he's pulling the trigger making the shot go wide and manage to run at him as he's limping away, break his neck, and use my Shift power to catch up to the third player escaping with the boat's gasoline and gut her. All of this being mixed with players shouting at each other about what to do or to run away or swearing at me as I kill them. Made me feel like an absolute God pulling it off!

veni veni veni posted:

You just totally sold me on this and now I really want to play it.

That price really is just wayyy too much for an impulse buy though. Especially considering it's multiplayer only right?

According to what I'm reading online, there's eventually going to be a single player campaign but the release date is TBD I think.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Friday 13th is seriously fun. I've started a community, Goon Campers.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Friday 13th is seriously fun. I've started a community, Goon Campers.

Does the game allow for both inverted y and inverted x on the camera controls? Don't think about it too hard just please check for me goon sir. Thank you in advance.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

SamuraiPaul posted:

Does the game allow for both inverted y and inverted x on the camera controls? Don't think about it too hard just please check for me goon sir. Thank you in advance.

The only option I see is "inverted camera look" so I'm betting no.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

yeah thats my issue, I cant aim for poo poo with this thing. I cant hit a god drat thing unless my target is perfectly still and I can take my time.
I guess i'm too used to console shooters that have a little auto aim or aid, plus the rhythm of button presses to fire an arrow keeps throwing me off. the number of times i've got my aim perfect and gone to shoot, only to then start nocking the arrow is easily more times than i've actually hit machines with the things. the view sensitivity is different depending on having an arrow nocked, being in slow mo, running or crouching too so i'm constantly getting thrown off and over/under shooting my aim.
it's almost, but not quite as bad as prey. that has a constant unpredictable aim speed based on time, but this constantly changes the aim speed based on context. if it stayed the same or let me gently caress with it i'd probably be fine.

wait, are you complaining about trying to shoot something without nocking your arrow beforehand?

also I just loaded it up and I can see zero discernible difference in camera sensitivity between crouching, standing, running, and arrow nocking, so I have no idea what you're talking about

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My friend was complaining about HZD combat being slow and poo poo then when I watched him play he was firing every arrow with a full draw assuming it was increasing damage :/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's a fair assumption

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Even at at full draw though, you can loose arrows pretty fast...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That's a fair assumption
Yeah, waaaaay too many games with bows where that's the case. It never made sense to me so I'm glad its going away and being replaced with longer pull = more accuracy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

With the handling mods you can basically rapid fire the sharpshooter bow and the ropecaster, which makes them insane

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just finished Far Cry primal (I think?! No credits this game is really confusing)and I'm sort of in awe that the two main boss fights a. Made it into the game and b. Haven't been patched because they were bar none two of the worst boss fight I have ever seen. Like, who the gently caress thought it would be a good idea to literally give them so much health that you have to plink away for an hour at them while endless spawning waves of enemies attack you?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I just got around to starting the first Uncharted after buying the remastered collection a while back, and man, i can't believe i missed out on this before. This is really good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

God drat the B playthrough of Nier is a slog--wish it was optional. Story has actually piqued my interests a bit now rather than being a generic dystopian future with robots and took a turn I didn't see coming. Y'all better be right about C being the meat and potatoes, otherwise I'm buying everyone scantily clad anime avatars

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, waaaaay too many games with bows where that's the case. It never made sense to me so I'm glad its going away and being replaced with longer pull = more accuracy.

How would it not make sense? More draw means more force behind the arrow means higher projectile velocity means more kinetic energy means more hurt

I would expect it to be both.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wait I'm no Green Arrow but wouldn't pulling back harder/ farther equate to more impact /speed once it hit its intended target and thus go deeper /pierce more?

[Ed] thus more damage?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

God drat the B playthrough of Nier is a slog--wish it was optional. Story has actually piqued my interests a bit now rather than being a generic dystopian future with robots and took a turn I didn't see coming. Y'all better be right about C being the meat and potatoes, otherwise I'm buying everyone scantily clad anime avatars

B was a huge redundant slog but C was pretty cool. At the very least you aren't just doing the same things over again like in B and it's the weirdest of the bunch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Fortunately you can get through B in like, no time at all, because every fight now takes less than 8 seconds.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I enjoyed route B, hacking was pretty fun if you don't do it exclusively and just throw spears or punch gloves at stuff the rest of the time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Snak posted:

How would it not make sense? More draw means more force behind the arrow means higher projectile velocity means more kinetic energy means more hurt

I would expect it to be both.
I would expect a combat archer to be able to pull the string back to wherever they want it almost instantly.

edit: not that I know of any outside of fiction.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Route B's charged square button Spear attack totally trivialized much of the game. I just rained spears down on my foes and killed them very quickly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I would expect a combat archer to be able to pull the string back to wherever they want it almost instantly.

yes, but more draw would always mean more damage.

yeah, I can see a slow draw not really making sense. Most video game protagonist do draw a bit slow.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Just finished Far Cry primal (I think?! No credits this game is really confusing)and I'm sort of in awe that the two main boss fights a. Made it into the game and b. Haven't been patched because they were bar none two of the worst boss fight I have ever seen. Like, who the gently caress thought it would be a good idea to literally give them so much health that you have to plink away for an hour at them while endless spawning waves of enemies attack you?

Did you not get any upgrades or something

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked the hacking minigame in nier personally

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And actually it's really only the middle of B that is a slog. The end 1/3rd is totally different from A

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Snak posted:

yes, but more draw would always mean more damage.

yeah, I can see a slow draw not really making sense. Most video game protagonist do draw a bit slow.
Yeah the issue was with them slooooowly drawing their arm back and thinking, if it's that hard maybe they aren't cut out for archery.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I liked the hacking minigame in nier personally

I do to. I wish there was a little more variety, but I also like that it's a super quick reflex. Most basic hacks take less than 3 seconds once you get the hang of them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did you not get any upgrades or something

I maxed out most of the stuff I was using like the club/bow/spear etc. the amount of damage I did to Ull was so small I actually couldn't see it. For example I actually got his heath bar to the point where is was visibly gone, and it still took me about 50 more hits to kill him. Also I killed more mooks in that part than the rest of the game combined probably. I'd say something like 500 of them spawned during the fight.

Batari had a much more reasonable heath bar but having to pot shot her and heal in between every hit made her take forever.

Each one took me around an hour to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah the issue was with them slooooowly drawing their arm back and thinking, if it's that hard maybe they aren't cut out for archery.

I mean, firstly, it's designed that way as a game mechanic. Secondly, it not necissarily because it's hard, but because most archers use a smooth draw. Aloy doesn't draw much slower than real archers, except with the slowest of bows, which is clearly for game balance.