Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Action Tortoise posted:

Vanquish is finally on Steam

Holy loving poo poo, I had no idea! Everyone buy this game it's amazing.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Play Vanquish. Robots react wildly differently to various bits being shot off, including their IFF systems malfunctioning when they're decapitated and shooting friend and foe alike.

My favorite is when the grunt robots lose their legs or weapon arm, they deliberately overheat their reactor and charge you before they detonate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Nier Automata, I found the stamp collecting quest at the amusement park to be very touching and insightful.
Die Romeo! Thou stupid rear end in a top hat!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Nier:A when you start the second playthrough and get the hacking ability if music is playing when you go into a hack it turns into an "8 bit" version of the song.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

In Nier:A when you start the second playthrough and get the hacking ability if music is playing when you go into a hack it turns into an "8 bit" version of the song.

the best part is how they made full-length song covers for almost the entire soundtrack. I can't stop listening to the Wretched Weaponry cover it is just so drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgHUwZuxjo4

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

3 posted:

we know that the "coin toss" analogy is flawed

More SOMA:

The coin toss is a perfect analogy. When Simon copies himself, both copies have exactly the same memories, so until the moment when he's copied, we don't know if we are- that is, if we were always- playing through the actions that Simon A or Simon B remembers. Once the copying happens everything that happened up until that moment was either memories from Simon A uploaded to Simon B, now revealed to be the Simon you always were, or actual memories that Simon A actually lived through. Simon doesn't lose the coin toss at the end- we were just always playing as the Simon who woke up in the heavy suit and got left behind in the chair.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

gently caress yeah, Vanquish has been ported to PC! The best trick ever is that enemies will briefly focus fire on your discarded cigarettes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuHSFCm5eLc

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Nice metagame thing I like about Vanquish is that you have 3 weapon slots and can refill your ammo if you pick up a weapon you're already carrying, but if you're maxed out on ammo and pick up the same weapon you upgrade that weapon. So at the end of every fight you should swap out your almost-spent weapons for other guns, swap those out for the gun you want, and pick up your discarded gun to upgrade it.

More bang for your buckshot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A pretty funny part of Viking: Battle for Asgard that I'd forgotten about was in the final Island, the leader of the farm hears weird noises from the mountain pass and isn't sure if it's Legion monsters but is too scared to check, so he sends you. You arrive an find out it was 2 Young Vikings having sex that he was mishearing :3:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
e;oops.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

In the new Prey, while it starts off being a sort of sneaky shooty game, one of the many upgrade paths is improving your running speed. The maximum level of it also turns your jump into a superjump.

This is great because it lets you run around enemies and just platform your way up to places you want to go. The game semi-expects this because literally your first non-wrench weapon is the Gloo Gun that makes platforms that stick to walls, but being able to just jump is great - and the game even has a climb button so you're never "bullshit why can't I just grab onto that ledge".

It's probably not that useful at the start of the game, when you want to explore every area thoroughly and pick up items after taking out enemies, but it's fantastic for the lategame when you're running around doing sidequests and completing objectives, because you start playing it like you're speedrunning Doom or something. When I got up to my final objective I completed that area just by sprinting in a straight line and mashing the shotgun trigger any time something came into my field of view.

Thing that may or may not be a positive:
Enemies slowly respawn in areas that you're not in. Supplies do too, but not as much. This means that throughout the midgame you're slowly building up ammo and materials and powers and feeling pretty good. Then when the lategame hits and you need to back to a couple of areas, since they're not as full of supplies any more, your resources start dwindling. Kind of an interesting way of putting storyline tension into gameplay.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Assassin's Creed IV: I'm sure this'll change by the end, but I'm enjoying that Kenway doesn't give a poo poo about the Templar-Assassin crap.

Assassin: You're wearing one of our outfits but you didn't earn it!
Kenway: Isn't your motto "Everything is permitted"? :smug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sunswipe posted:

Assassin's Creed IV: I'm sure this'll change by the end, but I'm enjoying that Kenway doesn't give a poo poo about the Templar-Assassin crap.

Assassin: You're wearing one of our outfits but you didn't earn it!
Kenway: Isn't your motto "Everything is permitted"? :smug:

To be honest, it gets grating later on when Kenway's actively getting involved in major events and still going "ugh, fine I'll help you guys I GUESS :rolleyes:".

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Oh man, I got that game when it was free on xbox live. Was a very fun & chill game. Didn't go OCD over all the little collectables either, so it wasn't as much of a slog. Still got a ton though, since I wanted to see the cooler rewards.

One of my favorite things in that game was how they didn't care too much about balance and let you have all sorts of fun toys like poison darts and smoke bombs and other stuff. The swordfighting was slow enough sometimes that it was nice to use the other things sometimes.

I looked up the rankings to see what the #1 guy for sunken ships had, since you climb the ranks pretty quick to a point. The top dude had more than 300,000 ships. I had ~300 by the end of the game. :stare:

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I'm finally playing Far Cry 3 and I'm really digging little incidental animations. I was went over a big bump in a Jeep and Jason took one hand off the wheel and grabbed the Oh poo poo Bar. Simple things like that add a lot of character to the game.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Frush posted:

I looked up the rankings to see what the #1 guy for sunken ships had, since you climb the ranks pretty quick to a point. The top dude had more than 300,000 ships. I had ~300 by the end of the game. :stare:

Prrrrrrrrrrooooooobably a cheater/hacker

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Prrrrrrrrrrooooooobably a cheater/hacker

Anyone that is a top scorer on an online leaderboard is a hacker. Without fail

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

More SOMA:

The coin toss is a perfect analogy. When Simon copies himself, both copies have exactly the same memories, so until the moment when he's copied, we don't know if we are- that is, if we were always- playing through the actions that Simon A or Simon B remembers. Once the copying happens everything that happened up until that moment was either memories from Simon A uploaded to Simon B, now revealed to be the Simon you always were, or actual memories that Simon A actually lived through. Simon doesn't lose the coin toss at the end- we were just always playing as the Simon who woke up in the heavy suit and got left behind in the chair.
The thing is that you always lose the coin toss if you have the agency to choose to activate the copy. You will never be the copy if you possess agency at the point of copying. So yes the analogy is a lie to make people feel better.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Chad's face at the start of every round in the new Friday the 13th game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Testekill posted:

Anyone that is a top scorer on an online leaderboard is a hacker. Without fail

Indeed. The reason why the top score is so absurd is because you get hackers trying to one-up each other. So the first hacked scores were subtle, but then they realized someone else was at it too and swiftly the scores gained additional digits.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

There was that one crazy guy that was the top scorer in basically all the Banjoo-Kazooie: Nut and Bolts challenges. His username was something banjokazooiefan or something. His scores were almost certainly legitimate.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Autism is basically a cheat code.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Autism is basically a cheat code.

I don't think that permabanning all autists will work, though. Last time someone tried something like that, it caused a lot of trouble in europe and Japan.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Re: SOMA chat

The reason Simon never catches onto the coin flip not existing despite being told that is because he's basically programmed by the WAU not to. Any major existential crisis will either bust his circuits like that one dude you put in a simulator to get information, or cause him to go bananas like the other people copied into machines. Simon's just the latest attempt by the WAU to make a functioning man-bot that doesn't lose his poo poo, which is why he managed to notice he was a bot without exploding early on. Basically the WAU made Simon an idiot on purpose.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That's what happened? I got into the existential stuff but didn't really understand anything about why he was there or how he got there.

Content:

The kills in the Friday the 13th game are appropriately brutal but I like the little touches that make them just feel mean. Like Jason takes you out and then for no reason steps off your face while walking off or gives you a shove to get off his weapon as if you are just a nuisance in his way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spikeguy posted:

That's what happened? I got into the existential stuff but didn't really understand anything about why he was there or how he got there.

SOMA: WAU, the station management AI, was trying to do its part to save humanity by pulling from its archive of copied personalities and installing them into bodies it could assemble out of whatever it had lying around. That's why all the monsters are bizarre combinations of corpses, mechanical equipment, and sea life- all it cared about was making something that could support a mind indefinitely with no concern for quality of life or long-term species survival.

It made Simon with the recording of his mind from the 21st century med lab at the very start of the game. The experiment he participated in formed the basis of the mind copy technology that was perfected between then and the apocalypse. This is probably also why there was a copy of his mind in the facility to begin with, it would be a sort of standard lab resource for that entire field like fruit flies or HeLa cells.

At some point in the game you get an explanation for why your vision gets wonky in the presence of monsters, I forget the exact details but it's written into the fiction that his perception is being mediated by safeguards somehow. This is also why your arms appear to be bare skin until the compartment gets flooded and you don't drown; you have no choice but to realize you are wearing a diving suit.

Or at least that's how I remember it, been a really long time but I loved the story.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 16:27 on May 30, 2017

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Drunken Baker posted:

Chad's face at the start of every round in the new Friday the 13th game.

Is that any good? I was watching some streams over the weekend and it looks real shoddy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

10 Beers posted:

Is that any good? I was watching some streams over the weekend and it looks real shoddy.

Apparently it went down for patching and some bugs got fixed but I've never watched footage of a multiplayer game and thought it was fun :shrug:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

10 Beers posted:

Totally unprepared for the amount of sales and demand on their servers. The gameplay is great but it's been a very rough launch since the database issues affected many facets of the game. I played for like 3 hours last night and it worked perfect in a private party. Matchmaking took like 5 minutes but did work

WoodrowSkillson has a new favorite as of 16:50 on May 30, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

The kills in the Friday the 13th game are appropriately brutal but I like the little touches that make them just feel mean. Like Jason takes you out and then for no reason steps off your face while walking off or gives you a shove to get off his weapon as if you are just a nuisance in his way.
Also, I like that Mark can jump a little higher than the other characters, it helps you get through the cave.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Spikeguy posted:

Jason's "reactions" to getting shot or stabbed in the neck are great. The little tilt of his head shows the tiniest amount of irritation.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

Re: SOMA chat

Basically the WAU made Simon an idiot on purpose.

*Lives in Canada, works at a comic book store, trusts a man named "Doctor Munchies" to fix his brain* "Gee, good thing I'm not an idiot yet!"

e: sorry, Mister Munchies.

A HUNGRY MOUTH has a new favorite as of 18:06 on May 30, 2017

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

poptart_fairy posted:

Jason's "reactions" to getting shot or stabbed in the neck are great. The little tilt of his head shows the tiniest amount of irritation.

A lot, if not all the mocap was done by Kane Hodder, who played Jason in a number of the films.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I watched some of that Friday the 13th game today and my favorite thing is how the player that is Jason can just talk to the others while he's chasing them. Obviously that leads to people (ab)using this to play songs. Turns out that Bananaphone can be quite creepy!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hearing counselors shriek and panic over voice comms is the most amazing feeling in the world when you pull off an ambush. It's also great because a surprising amount of people trash talk you in character. :v:

Evil Badman posted:

A lot, if not all the mocap was done by Kane Hodder, who played Jason in a number of the films.

Oh poo poo, really? No wonder it's so spot on then.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Simon in SOMA is also literally brain damaged in an unusual way even before the events of the game, which provides a neat enough excuse for why he's capable of speech and puzzle solving but is terrible at actually recognising the implications of his actions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really like the Layout of the final island in Viking: Battle for Asgard. Both previous maps have the final city to mess up at an extremity furthest from where you start, with the first islands endpoint all the way in the north, and the second island's endpoint all the way to the north west - both port towns, so it makes sense that Hel's final stand will be there so she can retreat to the next island. But on Island 3, the final fight is right in the centre of the island - you first take back the south, then west areas, then move through a large gate to the east and north areas, so by the time you have enough people and upgrades to go through the (admittedly crap) final fight you pretty much have her surrounded. There is literally nowhere else to flee to, so it feels very final.

I also like that Fellkeep didn't fall. I went there expecting a fight, but somehow they managed to keep the legion out of that part of the map, although I have no idea how.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:06 on May 31, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

poptart_fairy posted:

Hearing counselors shriek and panic over voice comms is the most amazing feeling in the world when you pull off an ambush. It's also great because a surprising amount of people trash talk you in character. :v:

One of my favourite feelings is teleporting somewhere and hearing "--ound a radio in the dresseHE'S HERE" :murder:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Terrible Opinions posted:

The thing is that you always lose the coin toss if you have the agency to choose to activate the copy. You will never be the copy if you possess agency at the point of copying. So yes the analogy is a lie to make people feel better.

SOMA is arguing against this point. It's a game that deals with the issue of the nature of the self and comes down hard on one specific angle of it.

If you copy a mind, the copy is the same thing as the original; it is only after copying that any divergence can occur. There is no meaningful difference between the copy and the original at the moment of copying, as far as the copy's lived experience is concerned. It retroactively turns all of the gameplay up until that point into artificially-injected memories of the copy, but never once suggests that those memories are false or that the copy is less of a person just because their memories are artificial. A copy of a person, as far as SOMA is concerned, is that exact same person. If you hit the copy button and "wake up" in a new body, then yes, you always were the thing that only just popped into existence, and you didn't exist until that moment, but those memories of hitting the button are still your memories and you are still the real you, just like the one who hit the copy button is also the real you. There is no such thing as a fake you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Danaru posted:

One of my favourite feelings is teleporting somewhere and hearing "--ound a radio in the dresseHE'S HERE" :murder:

"He can't sense us when we're under here."

Heard from underneath a nearby bed. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

e: wrong thread