Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I am all for discussing Dungeon Defenders but could we take that discussion in the iOS thread instead; it is not an idle game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

serefin99 posted:

You're thinking of the aptly named Crank: http://faedine.com/games/crank/b39/

I've been playing this all day, it's really cool.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Senso posted:

I've been playing this all day, it's really cool.

Does it ever become truly idle? Right now I'm having to restart the crank every 5 seconds because stuff stops being produced at <10 energy.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Does it ever become truly idle? Right now I'm having to restart the crank every 5 seconds because stuff stops being produced at <10 energy.

It gets idler, eventually you unlock unlimited for quantities on things to make.
I played this a year or so ago and i see it has changed a bit now, but back then i don't think you could truly make it a forever-idle, some things eventually stopped which cascaded into everything eventually running out, to get up to speed again you had to manually crank and manually craft for a bit to get all the various systems going.

It could do with getting idle'y a bit sooner though, even after you unlock crankbots you need at least 5 of them for them to even be able to generate any power, due to them not giving a tiny continuous boost to the crank but a big intermittent one. If you don't have enough bots the crank slows down again before the next boost comes.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Emron posted:

That's worth a try since I'll be in R34 once I finish off Mercy. I need to leave titan running to get its last challenge (WHICH IS DUMB AS HELL BY THE WAY), but I need 5 days in Druid for other good researches. I'm conflicted.

You'll also need 40 combined days in Faceless and Dragon with a minimum of 10 days in each (for Dragon challenge 3, and the dragon challenges are all really important to get ASAP once you unlock them). There are some major timesinks starting around R42 (7-10 days unlocking spell tiers, 10+ day dragon challenges, lineage unlocks, etc). I'm up to R74 right now, grinding away to R75 and unlocking undead lineage 15/leveling spell tiers for Night Time. Luckily, by R74 you're only looking at around 6 days to max out a given spell.

If I had known about the Faceless requirement earlier, I'd have definitely spent some days idling as Faceless beforehand, since they're not a great faction until you've unlocked dragons.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 26, 2017

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

You'll also need 40 combined days in Faceless and Dragon with a minimum of 10 days in each (for Dragon challenge 3, and the dragon challenges are all really important to get ASAP once you unlock them). There are some major timesinks starting around R42 (7-10 days unlocking spell tiers, 10+ day dragon challenges, lineage unlocks, etc). I'm up to R74 right now, grinding away to R75 and unlocking undead lineage 15/leveling spell tiers for Night Time. Luckily, by R74 you're only looking at around 6 days to max out a given spell.

If I had known about the Faceless requirement earlier, I'd have definitely spent some days idling as Faceless beforehand, since they're not a great faction until you've unlocked dragons.

Holy poo poo. And here I was being grumpy about the flame/horn artifacts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

i have it for android and havent actually used my selected character to kill stuff since i filled the roster. how is it not an idle/incremental game?

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

There's some bonus that reduces the real life faceless time required, but i forget what it is

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Ineptitude posted:

It gets idler, eventually you unlock unlimited for quantities on things to make.
I played this a year or so ago and i see it has changed a bit now, but back then i don't think you could truly make it a forever-idle, some things eventually stopped which cascaded into everything eventually running out, to get up to speed again you had to manually crank and manually craft for a bit to get all the various systems going.

It could do with getting idle'y a bit sooner though, even after you unlock crankbots you need at least 5 of them for them to even be able to generate any power, due to them not giving a tiny continuous boost to the crank but a big intermittent one. If you don't have enough bots the crank slows down again before the next boost comes.

Right, after playing for a day, I'm at a point where it's fully idle. I just need to intervene to fight ships or increase my maximums.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I like games with definite endings. What's your favourite nice, simple one that can be completed in about a day or two? I don't know what the new hotness is so I mostly just return to Candy Box and A Dark Room for that.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Inadequately posted:

I like games with definite endings. What's your favourite nice, simple one that can be completed in about a day or two? I don't know what the new hotness is so I mostly just return to Candy Box and A Dark Room for that.

Space Plan

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Yup. You can also get it on steam or mobile and it's a bit more something I guess. It's basically the archetypal example of a short, story-driven idler.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I tried Spaceplan on my iPad a short while ago, it was fun for a while but I feel like it ended just when it was starting to get interesting. Anything else?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There was that one goon-made one, it was ascii fantasy, I don't recall the name but I think the final boss was a lich?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There's also Shark Game which you can burn through fairly quickly. Check the OP for a link.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Residual Toast posted:

There's some bonus that reduces the real life faceless time required, but i forget what it is

I don't think there's a bonus, it's just playing dragon+faceless counts double. You still need 40 combined days, but you can do it in 20.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I had some bug in RG on my phone where it skipped ahead 23 days when I was offline. Hoping I can recreate it for when I can get to that point. Only on R14 now though

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inadequately posted:

The new hotness is mobile games that are just reskins of other games in an effort to make people but IAP to make the number go faster. Games that end are few.

Chakan posted:

There was that one goon-made one, it was ascii fantasy, I don't recall the name but I think the final boss was a lich?

That's Space Lich Omega

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
So I'm on r28 and I don't see any of the 400 point researches available. What do I need to do to make those show up?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

So I'm on r28 and I don't see any of the 400 point researches available. What do I need to do to make those show up?

Have you added RPs to your research categories?

Edit: oh, I think that's the first level of prestige researches, I believe. You'll need to unlock the ability to do them first, if I remember

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Realm Grinder:

Does anyone know where it says the research points remaining for that reincarnation on the mobile version? Or maybe I still don't understand research even after reading the wiki page about it...

Oh wait I think I get it... I can get it up to a max of 136 on R16

edit: VVV yeah at first I thought I had a pool I could use among the 6 different facilities

Garfu fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 28, 2017

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream
press the larger button next to the researches to buy points in that category. it will tell you how many you have and the max for that reincarnation.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Pretty much every UI element can be long pressed for more info on mobile. It took me a while to figure that out.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Yeaaaah I completely forgot you can put points into researches. It'd been a long time; since before the new UI.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh poo poo, I just found out you can upgrade the research computer in Crank. Oops.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Just to confirm, there's no sound on the mobile version of RG, right?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Emron posted:

Pretty much every UI element can be long pressed for more info on mobile. It took me a while to figure that out.

This is the #1 point for me that makes mobile RG poo poo. :( It's so much easier to have hover text than to do long presses to get any info at all.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Looks like the new RG patch is nearly upon us, along with a Steam release. link.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

So this keeps happening, I was gone for 8 hours:

Not complaining...

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Garfu posted:

So this keeps happening, I was gone for 8 hours:

Not complaining...

QUICK GO FACELESS

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

frankenbeans posted:

Looks like the new RG patch is nearly upon us, along with a Steam release. link.

Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/610080/Realm_Grinder/

I really hope I can import my Kongregate save so I never have to go back to that website. :allears:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Merijn posted:

I really hope I can import my Kongregate save so I never have to go back to that website. :allears:

Same. If they allowed that I'd probably pick this back up for the first time since the UI change.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

God Awefull clicker (yes thats typed correctly) is alright.

Its an idler that requires a tad too much babysitting, thematically similar to clicker heroes (kill 10 enemies, move on to the next stage), with a ludicrous amount of different upgrade mechanics.
It has been interesting for a couple of hours at work so far but i am not sure how long it will last.
It has no prestige mechanic, which to me just means that the gameplay will never really change.

It is set in the greek mythology era, which is neat.

It seems to lack offline progress, at least i didn't see any after i closed the game for a while.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 30, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Swarm Sim has a new developer who's added a few things. Don't know if more will come of it than a new bonus/donation currency and some achievements but it might be worth a look.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Merijn posted:

On the one hand, it'd be great to be rid of it. On the other, I kind of don't want Steam to be tracking that idling time.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Swarm Sim has a new developer who's added a few things. Don't know if more will come of it than a new bonus/donation currency and some achievements but it might be worth a look.

Did they remove that feature where you can select to only have the upgrade notifier show up at x2 or x4 cost?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

GrossMurpel posted:

Did they remove that feature where you can select to only have the upgrade notifier show up at x2 or x4 cost?

It's not shown by default, you just need to turn it on in Options.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It's not shown by default, you just need to turn it on in Options.

Thanks mate. I see they also have a hint now showing you how many of each thing you can buy per second, that's neat.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Merc research just dropped and it is mildly inconvenient to unlock with a 150k building requirement as mercs. I stopped reading most of the other stuff because I want to go in mostly blind but I figured you guys would want to know the hard numbers on it. (Goblin bloodline and the dwarf ability that reduces building costs help a lot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I wonder how long Spell Tier 6 is gonna take to unlock :v:

I just got to spell tiers and this is probably the most ill conceived unlock system in the entire game. It should at least reduce the total for upper tiers if you unlocked lower tiers in an earlier R.