Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Maybe? All i know is that it had a large pulse laser and every time i saw it I ripped into it, wasn't much he could do.

I guess it would work well if another locust isn't ripping into you, but the guy just could not bring that lpl to bear on me often enough to make a difference. I did interrupt him from the top of HPG, he was probably sniping as you said. His mauler buddy also had 0 back armor, so that was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Until a few months ago LPL Locust had +10% range, -50% cooldown and -50% duration and it was legitimately an overpowered mech. Like "750+ damage every game" overpowered. Then they took away the duration quirk and it became merely very good.

Remember, cooldown reductions stack asymptotically. Starting from a base -50% meant that the extra -17.5% from modules and skills gave it essentially the firepower of 3x LPLs.

With the skill tree it now has "only" a +30% bonus. I haven't played it yet so I'm not sure how good it is now, but it's certainly still way better than the other build for the variant (1 MPL + 4 MG).

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Well hell, lemme hop in mine and see. I had the ml/mg build.

Trip report: yeah it has a quick cooldown, but maybe it's just my playstyle doesn't match. 2 kills 251 damage, but if i was in my 3m i would've gotten 3 kills (or if the cooldown was -50% still, but it's not :()

I definitely favor a faster, always moving locust, and the "set up and hit things with your one big gun in a teeny tiny mech" gives me the chills. I'll keep trying though.

So, not bad. But we'll see if i end up liking it more than 3M

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 27, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Warhammer chat:

My favorite with the black widow is 2 AC2 and 2 UAC5. It's got almost as much firepower as the 2 ac5 2uac5 build but you can run a STD engine on it.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
What are your opinons on the Uziel mech? Worth or not worth?

https://mwomercs.com/civil-war

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Well hell, lemme hop in mine and see. I had the ml/mg build.

Trip report: yeah it has a quick cooldown, but maybe it's just my playstyle doesn't match. 2 kills 251 damage, but if i was in my 3m i would've gotten 3 kills (or if the cooldown was -50% still, but it's not :()

I definitely favor a faster, always moving locust, and the "set up and hit things with your one big gun in a teeny tiny mech" gives me the chills. I'll keep trying though.

So, not bad. But we'll see if i end up liking it more than 3M

When running the single LPL you basically just never stop firing. There's no setting up, you just run around and core butts from 400m.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Agrajag posted:

What are your opinons on the Uziel mech? Worth or not worth?

https://mwomercs.com/civil-war

The general consensus is it's better to wait for the mechs to come out for C-Bills. Kanajashi does a series called "Should you Buy" where he goes over whether a particular mech will be any good. Here is his take on the Uziel. If you can't wait for the 3 months after it's released for it to become available for C-Bills, and you have spare money you want to throw at the game, no one will stop you. However, keep in mind that you can't get the early adopter awards since that expired, and that if :pgi: releases the Uziel overpowered via quirks they will tone it down massively by the time it's released for C-Bills. They have a pretty bad history of doing that.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

The Repo Man posted:

The general consensus is it's better to wait for the mechs to come out for C-Bills. Kanajashi does a series called "Should you Buy" where he goes over whether a particular mech will be any good. Here is his take on the Uziel. If you can't wait for the 3 months after it's released for it to become available for C-Bills, and you have spare money you want to throw at the game, no one will stop you. However, keep in mind that you can't get the early adopter awards since that expired, and that if :pgi: releases the Uziel overpowered via quirks they will tone it down massively by the time it's released for C-Bills. They have a pretty bad history of doing that.

Thanks for pointing out that channel.

Also, pretty dick move to purposefully release overpowered stuff to get people to buy em.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eh honestly I doubt it's as much malice as them just not understanding what makes mechs good or bad in their own game.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh honestly I doubt it's as much malice as them just not understanding what makes mechs good or bad in their own game.

This is always what I've thought. Look at what happened with the new clan heroes. PGI didn't realize that they made a number of overpowered clan hero mechs until it was pointed out to them, so they had to back peddle and alter some of the heroes while releasing some new standard versions of those mechs.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The people who pick polar highlands and then stop to get lrmed to death while doing nothing are my mortal enemy.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh, don't worry. Blizzard does the same thing. If they didn't make it super good while its $$ only why would anyone buy anything. Especially with :pgi:'s track record of loving up everything they touch.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

In addition to the already mentioned quirks, there's also the whole new question of mobility when considering upcoming mechs. Hopefully, PGI will release base mobility stats along with the specs for future mech packs, because it makes even less sense to pre-order without knowing those numbers.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Wow, I guess it really is a not so great idea to pre-order mechs.

In other news, holy hell UAC 5's get jams A LOT. Debating if I want to run 4 AC5's on the Black Widow and not have to deal with jams in the middle of a firefight. Like the increased rof from the UAC's is nice but the jamming makes me think that in the long run quad AC5's is just plain better in terms of predictability and reliability.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 27, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The uac strategy is to shut damage in bursts then pull back. You don't want to just stare someone down.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Agrajag posted:

In other news, holy hell UAC 5's get jams A LOT. Debating if I want to run 4 AC5's on the Black Widow and not have to deal with jams in the middle of a firefight. Like the increased rof from the UAC's is nice but the jamming makes me think that in the long run quad AC5's is just plain better in terms of predictability and reliability.

You get used to it. The thing to remember is that UACs are flat out better DPS, even with the jams. If they weren't, nobody would ever run them. The idea is to juke in and out of cover, unloading salvos until you hit a jam, and when that happens you just stay hidden for a bit longer until it clears.

Yes, you will sometimes get into a situation where you jam while face-dueling another heavy or assault and that sucks, but that usually doesn't happen until a match is already decided and one side is on cleanup. The extra DPS from UACs will help to ensure that your team is the one in a favorable position when that tipping point comes.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 27, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
edit: nvm

Skippy pretty much described what I've been encountering.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In that case just keep blasting and let the jams clear whine plinking with your other ACs. If you're not the target of return fire it's still better dps than regular ones

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
4 ac5 with a STD engine is going to live a hell of a lot longer if you know how to twist. But if you like to stare at people while spamming uac5s like me, then you get CT cored out anyway.
Running standard AC5s will get you into a better routine of fire twist, fire twist, since you can't double tap.

Also, yolo queue is so many lrms. Bring your umbrellas kids.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The torso twist thing is true if you're brawling. The uac build makes a really good poker.

Again, I'll pimp my uac 5 / ac 2 std engine build.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cyrano4747 posted:

The torso twist thing is true if you're brawling. The uac build makes a really good poker.

Again, I'll pimp my uac 5 / ac 2 std engine build.

would love to switch out the xl engine for something smaller or std but all my credits seem to have gone into skills

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Better start saving up for the new tech then. I'm not letting my cbills drop below 100m until that so I can afford all the light engines I'll need.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Shame you can't give away credits.

So in the spirit of yolo queue, I built an LRM 80 stalker with a std250 and then put every possible lrm and heat talent I could. Sit back and let it rain.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

More skill tree agonizing! I've rambled about it already, but I'm still unsure if the sensor tree is worth it, especially for mechs that need the 17 points in Ops. Because of how nodes are positioned on the Firepower tree, there's a pretty huge breakpoint in the number of Heat Gen nodes you can unlock with ~35 points vs. ~25 and sensors feel like the best place to find those 10 points.

Examples, with the differences:

Laser Boat with sensors:
Cooldown -4.5
Heat Gen -5.25
Radar Deprivation +60%
Range +8%
Reinforced Casing -6%
Seismic Sensor +100m
Sensor Range +7%
Shock Absorbance -30%
Skeletal Density +24%
Target Decay +0.7
Target Info Gathering +28%

Laser Boat without sensors:
Cooldown -6.75
Heat Gen -9.75
Range +10%
Reinforced Casing -7%
Shock Absorbance -20%
Skeletal Density - 21%

The second one has to be better, right? Even with all the lurms running around, that extra Heat Gen feels too good to leave on the table. Someone tell me I'm not crazy!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
You're giving up 4.5% heat gen for seismic awareness, being able to see what's stripped faster, and radar dep. Unless you're running something super hot or are really attached to big shooting numbers then get the sensor stuff.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Tried an lrm60 build with all the missile perks and sensor stuff.

Meh. That's a lot of missiles for as much damage as i usually do (only did 3 games, one game i got cored early, the other 2 my team fell apart).

I have more fun firing other weapons. Goodbye lrms. Hello again ams.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Atlatl posted:

You're giving up 4.5% heat gen for seismic awareness, being able to see what's stripped faster, and radar dep. Unless you're running something super hot or are really attached to big shooting numbers then get the sensor stuff.

But if we're talking laser boats, you're always running hot so that 4.5% Heat Gen is a direct DPS boost. I have a hard time seeing that as not being objectively better than the more situational stuff from the sensor tree. I feel like there's this habitual attachment to Radar Dep because it was the best utility module in the old system, but think about it, if there had been a module that gave -5% heat I think you'd have run it over Radar Dep on any mech that was even a little bit toasty.

Edit: Obviously both paths are "good enough", and I'm obsessing over tiny minutiae, but I can't help it. I have a problem.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Skippy McPants posted:

But if we're talking laser boats, you're always running hot so that 4.5% Heat Gen is a direct DPS boost. I have a hard time seeing that as not being objectively better than the more situational stuff from the sensor tree. I feel like there's this habitual attachment to Radar Dep because it was the best utility module in the old system, but think about it, if there had been a module that gave -5% heat I think you'd have run it over Radar Dep on any mech that was even a little bit toasty.

Edit: Obviously both paths are "good enough", and I'm obsessing over tiny minutiae, but I can't help it. I have a problem.

Run it and see for yourself?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The thing is, it's not just a choice between 4.5% heat vs radar dep. You have to consider the nodes in between. Very nearly everything in the sensor tree is good. Target retention is good because it allows you to predict enemies much more easily. Extra sensor range is good because it lets you determine enemy loadouts sooner at the beginning of the game, and acts as a soft counter to ECM because it increases the range at which you can target ECM mechs. Radar dep and seismic are obviously critical. And target info is excellent because it means you can shoot weak spots as soon as you target something instead of blindly blasting the CT of that battlemaster for 60% of your heat only to realize the left side was open. Advanced zoom is pretty bad and not worth it unless your vision is bad and you are in an ER LL boat, but it's also not blocking any good nodes. 360 target retention is pretty baller but you get the first rank (the worthwhile rank) of it as a filler node so you can skip the other.

Compare that to something like operations, which is like 80% garbage bullshit and 20% heat nodes you might actually want. Or survival which has some decent stuff but also has fall damage reductions and tiny crit chance reductions. Then remember that the sensor tree is really cheap to invest in anyway.

Also, you don't need 17 points in ops for optimal cooling. You can invest in the top few, then take the top left and right nodes to get like 60% of the boost for just ten nodes. Add in the fact that heat gen reduction is better than a cooling boost unless you have like 40 heatsinks and you should probably spec out of ops for the weapons instead.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Does it make sense for me to pickup Advanced Zoom skill for my dual UAC + dual AC5 Black Widow?

I figure after several matches of both teams turtling for the first half of the game I might as well get it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Agrajag posted:

Does it make sense for me to pickup Advanced Zoom skill for my dual UAC + dual AC5 Black Widow?

I figure after several matches of both teams turtling for the first half of the game I might as well get it.

I use it on my 4LL Hellbringer. It's helpful and only costs 2? sp.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Yeah, advanced zoom is only one skill point and on the sensor tree so if you find it handy then why not.

I dropped to a std engine on my sleipnir and switched to 4 MPLs and it's so much fun because people just keep moving in going for the xl check and get cored out before they can escape. Engine decoupling was the best thing that could have happened to it. :allears:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

aniviron posted:

The thing is, it's not just a choice between 4.5% heat vs radar dep. You have to consider the nodes in between. Very nearly everything in the sensor tree is good. Target retention is good because it allows you to predict enemies much more easily. Extra sensor range is good because it lets you determine enemy loadouts sooner at the beginning of the game, and acts as a soft counter to ECM because it increases the range at which you can target ECM mechs. Radar dep and seismic are obviously critical. And target info is excellent because it means you can shoot weak spots as soon as you target something instead of blindly blasting the CT of that battlemaster for 60% of your heat only to realize the left side was open. Advanced zoom is pretty bad and not worth it unless your vision is bad and you are in an ER LL boat, but it's also not blocking any good nodes. 360 target retention is pretty baller but you get the first rank (the worthwhile rank) of it as a filler node so you can skip the other.

Compare that to something like operations, which is like 80% garbage bullshit and 20% heat nodes you might actually want. Or survival which has some decent stuff but also has fall damage reductions and tiny crit chance reductions. Then remember that the sensor tree is really cheap to invest in anyway.

Also, you don't need 17 points in ops for optimal cooling. You can invest in the top few, then take the top left and right nodes to get like 60% of the boost for just ten nodes. Add in the fact that heat gen reduction is better than a cooling boost unless you have like 40 heatsinks and you should probably spec out of ops for the weapons instead.

10? I needed minimum of 11 for 3 cool run nodes.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Atlatl posted:

Yeah, advanced zoom is only one skill point and on the sensor tree so if you find it handy then why not.

I dropped to a std engine on my sleipnir and switched to 4 MPLs and it's so much fun because people just keep moving in going for the xl check and get cored out before they can escape. Engine decoupling was the best thing that could have happened to it. :allears:

xl engines make your mech weaker?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Agrajag posted:

xl engines make your mech weaker?

Inner Sphere XL engines mean that you die if you lose a side torso. Clan XL engines do not have this weakness.

They just gently caress your cooling, but you live unless you lose the other side torso too.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Artificer posted:

Run it and see for yourself?

I have, I'm just looking for feedback.

aniviron posted:

Yeah, it's not just Heat vs. Dep, but all the nodes you switch between Firepower and Sensors are valuable. It's not a question of good vs. bad, but good vs. better and figuring out which is which. It's Heat Gen, Range, and Cooldown vs. Radar Dep, Seismic, and Info Gathering. Everything is good and there's never enough points!

As for the Ops tree, I agree that it's got a ton of trash, but I also think it's very all or nothing because of the hideous 4 points of junk you need to reach the first Cool Run Node. After that first unlock the ratio of junk nodes goes way down. However.... On consideration, there is a path I hadn't thought about. 13 points gets you 8% and allows you dodge a crappy 3 for 1 for that last Cool Run. But it does cut 6% Heat Containment, which might be enough to effect alpha thresholds depending on the build.

Ugh! So many tiny choices!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 28, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So I'm thinking of getting a Blackjack BJ-3 and doing a laser vomit build. Does this look ok?

x4 Medium Pulse Lasers
x2 Medium Lasers
Std 225

edit: Huh, I just completed the mission and got the Linebacker Prime and noticed it can equip omnipods, is this something specific to prime variant mechs?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 28, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

No, all clan mechs are omnimechs that feature interchangeable sections. The only non-interchangeable section is the centre torso, and you get a set bonus for rocking a full set of the same type.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Commoners is a loving cheater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

No, all clan mechs are omnimechs that feature interchangeable sections. The only non-interchangeable section is the centre torso, and you get a set bonus for rocking a full set of the same type.

No. Clan mechs include battlemechs with non-interchangeable parts BUT interchangeable engines and other equipment. Examples include the IIC mechs like the Marauder IICs, and Hunchback IICs.

• Locked thread