Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

Vehicles in 4.1 were weird in general cuz everything was based off of some speed stat; if you use the end game inferno-tier vehicles they turn on a dime, burn down a road and can track flying GIANT INSECTS with ease, to the point it's kinda startling. Like, they control well except for the rocket-sled stuff like the APC (which controls like Fun.)

That all in mind I imagine poo poo will function better this time around simply because, hopefully, they would have everything attached to the same speed level value or whatever.

Yeah I have a level 62 Gigantus tank and it's fun zipping doing drive-bys on bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Dash Cancel but not attached to any particular weapons loadout, so its something like Set 1 is Dash Cancel and Set 2 is vertical jump or something would be neat but now that thei dea of Votoms rocket skates has been put in my brain I definitely want that.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ranger should get all the Tanks, Air Raider should just get progressively bigger robots :getin:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just want the depth crawlers to have usable amounts of armor this time around. A lot of them have really nice loadouts but die almost instantly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really only want three changes to air raider- faster equipment drops, better control for air strikes, and usable helicopters. the first two are already confirmed, so i've got high hopes for the last one.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

EthanSteele posted:

Dash Cancel but not attached to any particular weapons loadout, so its something like Set 1 is Dash Cancel and Set 2 is vertical jump or something would be neat but now that thei dea of Votoms rocket skates has been put in my brain I definitely want that.

Or just make dash canceling not look so janky either. It kinda sucks being the town hero who is having this weird seizure thing going on while jetting around at 40mph. It ruins the whole Fencer coolness factor.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Quote-Unquote posted:

On the other, more realistic hand: it's a glitch that only works with certain combinations of weapons, isn't documented anywhere, and the game goes out of its way to tell you that the Fencer isn't a mobile class and every other loading screen has pictures of a Fencer in a troop carrier vehicle.

You're definitely overthinking this B-game with wacky broken physics.
No I'm just repeating what I've read the developers say explicitly about their game, sorry if that's unrealistic to you?

EDF4 has been re-released twice now and this 'glitch' somehow remains, funny that.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
All this talk makes me want to play some Wing Diver. I should get my buddies into it once the Summer Sale arrives.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Dash cancelling owns and while the Fencer might be my overall least favourite class, it's by far the most fun to move around with at ground level.

EthanSteele posted:

:same:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dash cancelling does not own when you have arthritis.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Dash Cancelling does not own when you have a busted spacebar :saddowns:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
The recent spike in thread activity prompted me to start playing EDF again and I've been having a good time just joining different games and helping out for a few missions before moving onto another difficulty or set of levels. I had to change the game from fullscreen to windowed (sadly, no borderless window option) because the game drops down to 7 FPS any time the quick chat text or flashing NEW text appears on screen. If anyone knows of a fullscreen fix, I'd appreciate it. Didn't see anything on PC Gaming Wiki. Can't remember this happening when I played last summer.

Last night, I joined a game with 3 other people and we all had separate names, classes, and equipment. When the mission started, one player had the same name/class/gear as the host and the other player was a carbon copy of me. Voice/kb chat was disabled, so I used quick chat to say "I'm confused>me" and they just replied with "We're part of your squad now," which made me laugh. Would a memory editor allow them to copy the appearance, gear, and name of another person while in a lobby? I'm impressed they did it in ~20 seconds. I wasn't in the lobby for very long before the game started.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Dash Cancelling does not own when you have a busted spacebar :saddowns:

Any game that relies on action-cancelling makes me so mad.
Just make the regular actions flow better, you fucks!

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Is it so hard to just hold the button and have infinite boost? Just give it a wing diver like meter if they want to balance it for whatever reason. My #1 wish for Fencers in 5 is that they do away with the laser targeting requirement for their immensely superior missile options. I'd kill to be able to use dual Haytals without being shackled to a laser sight/beacon gun.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

We really should set up a Discord or something.
I'll be throwing up a multiplayer room to distract myself from my cat being sick and not having enough money to do anything about it, anyone wants to join, I've got the same name on EDF as here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Marogareh posted:

Is it so hard to just hold the button and have infinite boost? Just give it a wing diver like meter if they want to balance it for whatever reason. My #1 wish for Fencers in 5 is that they do away with the laser targeting requirement for their immensely superior missile options. I'd kill to be able to use dual Haytals without being shackled to a laser sight/beacon gun.

there aren't many worthwhile lock-on weapons, period.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I hope they buff them because 400 damage on the arm hound is nowhere near enough for inferno. 75 damage on the final mirage is laughable too.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

EDF5 looking good.

Gabby_Jay fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 8, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I hope they make it so that all classes can heal recruited soldiers. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing a huge army following you and having your back.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr Phillby posted:

No I'm just repeating what I've read the developers say explicitly about their game, sorry if that's unrealistic to you?

EDF4 has been re-released twice now and this 'glitch' somehow remains, funny that.

Yeah, there's absolutely no way it isn't an intentional feature. Fencer's normal movement speed is so slow as to be literally completely useless without dash canceling, and while I can accept EDF being janky enough to make specific vehicles be awful and unusable, I can't accept an entire class being designed that way intentionally.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Just wanted to pop in after finding this thread that the EDF games are my favorite games of all time. I even bought a PS4 to play the latest re-release.
(Og Jesuz cicle)
Where is the best place to keep up with EDF 5? I can't seem to find anything on it being localized for the US. I'm itching for a new fix.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kanos posted:

Yeah, there's absolutely no way it isn't an intentional feature. Fencer's normal movement speed is so slow as to be literally completely useless without dash canceling, and while I can accept EDF being janky enough to make specific vehicles be awful and unusable, I can't accept an entire class being designed that way intentionally.
That is why it has the highest armor rating.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wing Diver has killed my ability to play any other class.
The ability to actually pick up most of the drops is too useful.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

That's the one thing Fencer does well.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Most stuff that prevents you from getting drops as the other three can just be destroyed. :q:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Obsurveyor posted:

Most stuff that prevents you from getting drops as the other three can just be destroyed. :q:

If you could destroy being slow, we would all be sanic

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Injector bullets filled with adrenaline! It's just stupid enough to work!

E: as with the Reversers, of course, you can't inject yourself. Obviously.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 7, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ranger can diagonal leap but gently caress that is annoying.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Inzombiac posted:

main issue is that the Wing Diver seriously suffers on missions with massive amounts of hornets and loving DRONES. I love the class but her oddly huge hitbox(and the slow when hit) makes her too weak against them in higher difficulties.

I grew to love the Ranger because the AF99-ST just chews through those enemies with no effort.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, I get that.
I'm getting through every mission as WD on hard for now and will go back with other classes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The Ranger Preference Experience is being incredibly jealous of the sweet niche rear end kicking the other classes have. Then weeping when you lose your comfort zones being a boring ranger gives you.

Cave missions are at their most fun just being a loving blender and lightning bow spamming Wing Diver. Oops I already killed the ant queen without even entering the room, sweet. Air Raider gets to hear the sweet soothing voice of Whale on demand. Etc.

But in the end, I'm always crawling back to my rocket launcher (And eventual "Sniper rifle with actual loving range for maps this big") to take shots at dropships and eartheaters from literally anywhere I can see them. To having a plain old shotgun that my air raider would kill for once the bugs get too close. To not worry about my mild wrist issues flaring back up trying to do more nonstop dashing with Fencer than I ever did in an Armored core game.

The other classes are REAL loving GOOD at their respective jobs. But I'm always wanting to be able to fall back on my draw distance ranged rocket launcher, and survive getting stepped on by Godzilla at least a few times while watching the wing diver at Hard/Hardest's level cap get pasted after one wrong move.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ranger's job is to still be up and kicking rear end after the other fancy nerds die horribly because their weapon selection and ability pool got hard-countered by the enemy types in whatever mission you're in.

Rangers get poo poo done.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the ranger's greatest and possibly only weakness is maps with hills.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the ranger's greatest and possibly only weakness is maps with hills.

Those are opportunities. Opportunities to play King of the Hill with jackhammers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

That is why it has the highest armor rating.

Armor in this game is about as much protection as tinfoil against a hurricane and it only really matters against incidental chip damage if you're playing with the default multiplayer armor limit activated; the primary method of survival is simply not getting hit in the first place, either by killing everything before it can threaten you or by evasive action. A fencer getting 50% more hp than a ranger due to a higher armor rating is functionally meaningless because both of you are going to die in one hit from a gold ant or a giant dragon breath.

The best example of how relatively useless armor is is watching how fast Air Raider vehicles with tens of thousands of armor die when exposed to damage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that would be why i don't like inferno. it is no fun to die if you mess up once.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that would be why i don't like inferno. it is no fun to die if you mess up once.

Honestly this happens with reasonable armor values even on Hardest. An Air Raider with ~4k armor(about two playthroughs worth with a significant amount of brute force/crimson farming on the side) gets blown out almost immediately by any real damage that isn't "random chips from flying drones".

I guess you can tank some stuff if you turn off the armor limit and cheat engine or AFK farm yourself an insane amount of armor, but with the multiplayer armor limit and without doing AFK farming you're very much dependent on evasion and positioning to live against real threats.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

I'll be honest - cheat engine made this game much more playable for me. After the second full playthrough, kiting round the last enemy in a level to laboriously pick up armour and weapon drops gets incredibly tedious and not-fun. I'm much happier being able to play the "shoot the bugs in the face" game rather than the "walk to all the green dots" game.

Edit: ofc I don't mean cheat engine-ing 20k armour on a wing diver - if you're going to do that then you might as well just turn on invincibilty. I am quite looking forward to an unlimited-energy wing diver playthrough though, flying the battlefield and emptying Ixion rounds into every non-flying fucker on the map

I_Socom fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 7, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Halser posted:

main issue is that the Wing Diver seriously suffers on missions with massive amounts of hornets and loving DRONES. I love the class but her oddly huge hitbox(and the slow when hit) makes her too weak against them in higher difficulties.

I grew to love the Ranger because the AF99-ST just chews through those enemies with no effort.

If you're talking the laser tracking drones instead of the spherical pew pewers I'll grant you that but they're a pain no matter the class unless there's plenty of line of sight cutting buildings. For everything else, including the speedy expansion ants, Wing Divers can kite them pretty well, sparing one of two occasions to turn around and spray death back until you need to recharge your gun. It's a lot easier than learning how to dash-cancel as Fencer to the same effect! Always be moving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I do not have a jetpack.
I do not have power armor.
I cannot call in the artillery.
I am a Ranger.

I do not have a jetpack; I will battle bugs face to face.
I do not have power armor; I will roll through every obstacle anyway.
I cannot call the artillery; I carry it with me.
I am a Ranger; I will die, but it will be atop a mountain of Ravager corpses.