Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I had a quick look at the CK and it looks like I can probably add in more unique guys and have the game spawn them, I'll do some experimenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hey we can do silly names right at least.

I am down for it.

Oh I absolutely am too, I just wanted to make a crack at goon projects :v:

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Is there a decent mod to replace Don't call me Settler that renames or allows you to rename your settlers? I found http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16466/ which uses the robot dlc to turn settlers into renamable robots or something but it has a laundry list of bugs and a complaints department of a comments section.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
^ I have it loaded for my next playthrough, but by the looks of it, Unique NPCs is becoming a must-have mod because it adds tons of NPC variety, incorporating mods like the "Lots more Settlers/Enemies" series, and also has the feature of giving all settlers unique names the old-fashioned way (in the CK).

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
I was going to write that looks like a mod that'd benefit from having a simple core and a that you could add to modularly, but it looks like it's already built out of a bunch of other people's simple mods. Some of which I've seen in the past and decided I didn't really want to add to my game i.e. 'ANiceOakTree's Diverse Children'. You are right that the creation kit seems the best way to add names.

I found a few others though, http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6889/ uses the console and a ridiculous list to let you choose names and http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23391/ uses scripts to randomly assign them.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Erd posted:

I was going to write that looks like a mod that'd benefit from having a simple core and a that you could add to modularly, but it looks like it's already built out of a bunch of other people's simple mods. Some of which I've seen in the past and decided I didn't really want to add to my game i.e. 'ANiceOakTree's Diverse Children'. You are right that the creation kit seems the best way to add names.

I found a few others though, http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6889/ uses the console and a ridiculous list to let you choose names and http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23391/ uses scripts to randomly assign them.

Yeah, Immersive Settlers is actually pretty good, and kinggath of Sim Settlements helped get it running, because he liked the project and thought it would be a really good compliment; because it is.

Just use that instead of other mods for naming. It is more compatible, and Just Works.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Rename Anything is what you need. Works on people and items and you get to pick the name yourself. I use this alongside Better Settlers.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22105/

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sintax posted:

^ I have it loaded for my next playthrough, but by the looks of it, Unique NPCs is becoming a must-have mod because it adds tons of NPC variety, incorporating mods like the "Lots more Settlers/Enemies" series, and also has the feature of giving all settlers unique names the old-fashioned way (in the CK).

I posted that one earlier with a giant sigh because of course it makes all the women shiny and has pictures of them posing in underwear.

I would not call it must-have, personally.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
One of my weapons mods has a bug that makes the fatman bell play with every single kill with all the weapons. This sucks.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Erd posted:

Some of which I've seen in the past and decided I didn't really want to add to my game i.e. 'ANiceOakTree's Diverse Children'. You are right that the creation kit seems the best way to add names.

I like that one in theory, but I hated the hair, so I just found a mod that makes child-sized versions of all the adult styles and replaced them in my copy.

I don't care if you swear you picked the least fanciful hairs, Apachii Skye hairs have been in like ten games now, I can see them a mile off and all I can think of is terrible sexy person mods.

SeanBeansShako posted:

One of my weapons mods has a bug that makes the fatman bell play with every single kill with all the weapons. This sucks.

...okay, I'm intrigued. Which mod is it? I assume the gun is supposed to also use that mod, but they messed something up and made it apply to everything instead of just their gun.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I have a theory it may be the mod that adds the Hunting Shotgun as it has a special variant that has a gimmick like that. I'll disable the Hunting Shotgun mod and see if that fixes it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Here's a fun thing. Started building Vault 88 because I wanted a Lombard Station-style bunker with all of my hauls accurately represented. Built a large atrium and started adding shelves (using both Do It Yourshelf and Warehouse Shelves for components and ammo, and Vault 88 Unlimited Budget to be prepared).

Everything started out great, and the armory was starting to shake out:

And then I found that adding even a few more ammo displays (the fusion cells directly in front of me) caused incredibly prominent hall of mirroring:

One other person seems to have stumbled across this discovery, but was told that there's no way Do It Yourshelf is responsible. Which is technically correct, but using either Do It Yourshelf or Warehouse Shelves seems to cause this.

Is there any way to avoid this?

EDIT: Okay, it seems to be an engine limitation: Based on the various debris all over the internet, I think I've learned that since settlement walls don't have any built-in occlusion rules, and the realtime culling doesn't handle dynamically placed objects, the engine is failing to figure out what to draw in time. And this is inevitable in large interior cells (like the Vault) because it's just a big empty space.

If that is really the case, it sucks a whole bunch, since I have barely even placed 25% of the things I wanted to display.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 28, 2017

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Davoren posted:

Rename Anything is what you need. Works on people and items and you get to pick the name yourself. I use this alongside Better Settlers.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22105/

This is perfect.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ok here's a Google Doc so you guys can go apeshit with silly names: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q2QyiyICNl8LB4HXWOnQZnTV9rF-UW5lrCHmdrYX_YM/edit

To start I just put in the categories of enemies I assumed would run out of dudes very quickly, feel free to add more names for any enemy type you want.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

Ok here's a Google Doc so you guys can go apeshit with silly names: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q2QyiyICNl8LB4HXWOnQZnTV9rF-UW5lrCHmdrYX_YM/edit

To start I just put in the categories of enemies I assumed would run out of dudes very quickly, feel free to add more names for any enemy type you want.

Looked over it quickly, and holy poo poo "Xarlakh the Unspeakable" and "Asgore, God of Hyperdeath" are wonderful. :allears:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I am unnaturally proud of Shamblin' Jack Elliot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Figured given it's new england some lovecraft would be appropriate.

E: haahhah "Pipe Revolver Ocelot"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That was fun. :toot:

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
this might be a dumb question but I did a few searches to no avail: is there a way to hotkey a razer naga mouse? it says the # keys are reserved when I try to hotkey them :[

I've played it for free a bit this weekend and I would totally buy it right now if I were able to utilize the side buttons on my mouse.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Inadequate Areolas posted:

this might be a dumb question but I did a few searches to no avail: is there a way to hotkey a razer naga mouse?
Think you need to get software for the mouse, Razer Synapse will let you change the buttons if it work for that mouse.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm very glad you guys seem to like the name Pete as much as I do.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I've entered as many names as I can remember from Streets of Rage 2 and that's all anyone could ever ask for.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Basic Chunnel posted:

I've entered as many names as I can remember from Streets of Rage 2 and that's all anyone could ever ask for.

Someone do Batman Forever.

ZombieSupaStar
Mar 30, 2007

So after rushing through the main quest in Fallout 4 at launch, shelving it, and coming back for an hour of Far Harbor, I thought I'd get back into the game, with it being like 18 months since launch and play through a survival playthrough and all the DLC.

And I really cant seem to find many.... game defining mods for Fallout 4 so far...

I mean with Fallout 3 we had, Fallout Wanderers Edition, FOOK, Enhanced Energy Visuals, Weapon Mod Kits, Real Time Settler, Marts Mutant Mod.

New Vegas had Project Nevada, The Someguy Series, JESawyers mod, Puce Mooses stuff,

And I realize a lot of the above (esp the Fallout 3 popular mods) were integrated into the Fallout 4 properly so obviously they wouldn't be made again. But what I am asking is there anything that sweeping(?) for Fallout 4? Horizon looks closest to what I'm talking about, but most seems to be settlement, weapon model, or naked women related.

ZombieSupaStar fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 28, 2017

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Doing the Lord's work, friends

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Magmarashi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbkEb2Y5RG4

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can I just say I'm disappointed in how I'm not seeing any Space Mutiny names in here?

Until now, I'm spreading them through several categories. There are 46, plus David Ryder.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning

Magmarashi posted:

We did it. Games are now art.

Some fantastic names in there.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Version 2.0 is out with a bunch of the dumb names you guys chose: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24420

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

I'm very glad you guys seem to like the name Pete as much as I do.

The legend of Easy Pete never dies.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Sintax posted:

Think you need to get software for the mouse, Razer Synapse will let you change the buttons if it work for that mouse.

Well poo poo. I've had razer synapse for a while now but never launched it. Because I'm dumb, apparently.

Guess I'll go ahead and buy this game for $20

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just add everything from this goldmine if you haven't already.

BLASPHEMOUS REX

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

Can I just say I'm disappointed in how I'm not seeing any Space Mutiny names in here?

Until now, I'm spreading them through several categories. There are 46, plus David Ryder.

Pretty sure there was one in the super mutant category to begin with.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Thanks for letting me spread the legend of Tag-Nut, the raider.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

As a coda to my previous post, here's me standing in front of a completely solid vault wall with wireframes on:

It really sucks that I can't build my enormous ammo/weapon/component/armor bunker in Vault 88. I suppose it would take a miracle for someone to modify the settlement construction pieces to include better real time occlusion rules than what's currently being relied on.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

horse mans posted:

As a coda to my previous post, here's me standing in front of a completely solid vault wall with wireframes on:

It really sucks that I can't build my enormous ammo/weapon/component/armor bunker in Vault 88. I suppose it would take a miracle for someone to modify the settlement construction pieces to include better real time occlusion rules than what's currently being relied on.

There is no real time occlusion culling for settlements. Calculating it in real time is about as or more expensive than just not having it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

There is no real time occlusion culling for settlements. Calculating it in real time is about as or more expensive than just not having it.

Which I totally get, but my next question is, how do people build enormous settlements filled with items far beyond the original building limits without having this happen?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

horse mans posted:

Which I totally get, but my next question is, how do people build enormous settlements filled with items far beyond the original building limits without having this happen?

I think that this is a problem being caused by mods you're using. Use the command TPC in that cell to see if it helps, and if not, try disabling some of your workshop mods. From the sounds of it this can be caused by multiple mods having conflicting precombined and previs information, or just incompatible assets.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

I think that this is a problem being caused by mods you're using. Use the command TPC in that cell to see if it helps, and if not, try disabling some of your workshop mods. From the sounds of it this can be caused by multiple mods having conflicting precombined and previs information, or just incompatible assets.

Sounds good, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Hey, Turn off the TV, did you ever do the landscaping occlusion test? If so, how much improvement did you see and do you have a download for it?