Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Played a bit at MCM earlier today. It's fun but boy howdy am I bad at fighting games. Nina might be my go-to if I get it going forward.

I don't want to dissuade you from using whatever waifu you have your heart set on, but her go to damage BnBs are kind of tough since they rely on hitting while standing moves quickly and consistently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

boxcarhobo posted:

I don't want to dissuade you from using whatever waifu you have your heart set on, but her go to damage BnBs are kind of tough since they rely on hitting while standing moves quickly and consistently

I mained Nina in 1, 2, 3 and 5, but didn't play much 6. Am I in for a bad time wading in with her? I know she's high execution but assuming she hasn't changed THAT much it's probably better that I stick with her than try someone I've got no experience, right?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are there any details on the single-player content for this game? I saw some screenshots that give me a lot of hope

you get to press x to throw kazuya in a ravine

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
Actually it's square + triangle to throw Kazuya off the cliff because Heihachi uses both hands. :colbert:

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
hei is gonna twin piston that piece of poo poo right off the cliff

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

I mained Nina in 1, 2, 3 and 5, but didn't play much 6. Am I in for a bad time wading in with her? I know she's high execution but assuming she hasn't changed THAT much it's probably better that I stick with her than try someone I've got no experience, right?

If it never bothered you before, there's no reason it would now. Her mega hard wall carry poo poo is probably also less important now that everyone has screw attack bnbs.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

yo mamma a Horus posted:

hei is gonna twin piston that piece of poo poo right off the cliff

gently caress that, CHROME DOME that bastard.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Medullah posted:

Absolutely, brosnan knows more than I, and if you already know her move set pretty well go for it. You'd have enough to get away with while you work on the timing of her harder stuff. The other guy just seemed very new, and I feel like there are other characters better suited to someone with little fighting game experience.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

boxcarhobo posted:

and I feel like there are other characters better suited to someone with little fighting game experience.

What are the characters best suited for complete beginners anyway? I decided on Feng because I think he's :krad: but other than having a million useful attacks to memorize he seems pretty beginner-friendly so I guess I lucked out?

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Your Computer posted:

What are the characters best suited for complete beginners anyway? I decided on Feng because I think he's :krad: but other than having a million useful attacks to memorize he seems pretty beginner-friendly so I guess I lucked out?

Paul and Jack for Tekken 7 I'd say are the easier inputs with high reward

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What resolution is this going to be on the PS4 normal? The entire Combo Breaker stream has been making resolution jokes because of one player complaining that the game resolution was too high or something.

Should I get this for PC instead

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What resolution is this going to be on the PS4 normal? The entire Combo Breaker stream has been making resolution jokes because of one player complaining that the game resolution was too high or something.

Should I get this for PC instead

i think its 900p or 720p on PS4 reg, yes buy it on pc a majority of goons are

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have a Pro and thinking of getting it on PS4. What resolution is it on there?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Your Computer posted:

they're in the beautiful and thorough OP that brosnan worked so hard to put together, along with a lot of other cool and good info for new players, you should check it out

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

boxcarhobo posted:

they're in the beautiful and thorough OP that brosnan worked so hard to put together, along with a lot of other cool and good info for new players, you should check it out

Oh yeah I had completely forgotten about that. OP is good though, especially now with the added vids and top moves list :yeah:

Feng is cool and all but I'm definitely playing Kazumi once T7 is out and I'm glad she's in that list in the OP.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

boxcarhobo posted:

No one reads the OP, we just like to troll brosnan into putting a lot of effort into them

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Do pros prefer the tag games or the single character games or are both types of tekken equally well regarded?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Top 8 at Combo Breaker was a blast to watch. Tanukana is awesome.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

Do pros prefer the tag games or the single character games or are both types of tekken equally well regarded?

I think the general consensus is more people prefer solo play because you only have to learn one character

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

fadam posted:

Watching Tanukana is a joy and made me seriously want to learn Xiaoyu.

On that topic, what are some good Paul players to search for on YouTube to learn how to be less bad? Last time I knew anything about pro Tekken YouTube wasn't even a thing so I doubt the same names would help much.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

tyblazitar posted:

Watching Tanukana is a joy and made me seriously want to learn Xiaoyu.

On that topic, what are some good Paul players to search for on YouTube to learn how to be less bad? Last time I knew anything about pro Tekken YouTube wasn't even a thing so I doubt the same names would help much.

Kkokkoma, Knee and Chemsae have good Pauls.

Knee plays almost everyone to a high level tbh

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Justice's Paul also has some footage up on youtube. The arcade he and MBC played at is closed now though so I guess they'll move to PS4 play

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Why do people say Xiayou is broken-tier levels of good?

Does it just come down to something like a character has very few moves that are punishable and they have much easier or more damaging ways to punish stuff than most of the cast?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Why do people say Xiayou is broken-tier levels of good?

Does it just come down to something like a character has very few moves that are punishable and they have much easier or more damaging ways to punish stuff than most of the cast?

hosed up hurt boxes. Goes under/over loads of moves. Not everyone has answers for everything she has.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

just like helena in doa punishing her low stance is a bitch from the looks of it

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Dj Meow Mix posted:

just like helena in doa punishing her low stance is a bitch from the looks of it

Difference is that doa has universal low catch grabs from some characters but you can pick heihachi and just ff2 her rear end.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

fadam posted:

You weren't kidding. That was an all around wicked top 8 and the grand finals were amazing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am heavily leaning towards PC for this now. Can I get good at this game on a keyboard? I mean, I've seen custom arcade controllers that are all buttons and even have up where a spacebar would be on a keyboard, so it sounds like people have done it

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am heavily leaning towards PC for this now. Can I get good at this game on a keyboard? I mean, I've seen custom arcade controllers that are all buttons and even have up where a spacebar would be on a keyboard, so it sounds like people have done it

If you configure your keyboard correctly you can make people whine about backdashes with only 1f of invulnerability

(Yes it's fine)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I used to play Children of the Atom using my keyboard.

Some of the linked videos are showing up with the grey "..." poo poo like they're not available

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tekken is one of the few fighting games that a lot of people actually prefer to play pad on (instead of stick), so if you have a Playstation controller why not just use that?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

pissdude posted:

Tekken is one of the few fighting games that a lot of people actually prefer to play pad on (instead of stick), so if you have a Playstation controller why not just use that?

Injustice is also a pad-friendly game because it doesn't have circle motions, but even then, trying to hit diagonal or multi-button inputs can be kind of a problem. I could see how a keyboard might be good on that front.

Also I have a mechanical keyboard so it has the click-clack in its favor :shobon:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
In case you missed it this an extremely hype grand finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG_IQ3tDYRo

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
That was amazing. JDCR pops up all the time when looking up Tekken stuff, and I hear he's a very good nature'd guy that really goes out of his way to make helpful Tekken related content. It's impressive alone that he managed to get such a win over Saint, who's been a dominant figure for what feels like a long time.

Unfortunately, I got so hyped from the tournament that it sort of killed my drive to play more Injustice 2 during the wait!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jmcrofts posted:

In case you missed it this an extremely hype grand finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG_IQ3tDYRo

Awesome match, but can the commentators PLEASE shut the gently caress up about where the players scratch themselves?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Is this your first experience of Aris or something?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Lothire posted:

That was amazing. JDCR pops up all the time when looking up Tekken stuff, and I hear he's a very good nature'd guy that really goes out of his way to make helpful Tekken related content. It's impressive alone that he managed to get such a win over Saint, who's been a dominant figure for what feels like a long time.

Unfortunately, I got so hyped from the tournament that it sort of killed my drive to play more Injustice 2 during the wait!

JDCR has been one of the best Tekken players in the world for a really long time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Spuckuk posted:

Is this your first experience of Aris or something?

Well, I did watch some of that video in the OP for Tekken basics. He does look familiar, though. One moment...

*One google search later*

Oh

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Aris must hate that when he's googled that's what comes up. Then again, that's what you loving get dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
That's one puddle he certainly didn't avoid. Even worse, he made that gross-rear end puddle in the first place!