Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Doesn't cost them a dime to not publish the work he's not drawing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

Doesn't cost them a dime to not publish the work he's not drawing.

Doesnt cost them anything and still rakes it in when it does publish.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

EmmyOk posted:

I know it's popular but that hotel room story has to be true for them still to allow such long hiatuses.

say the who what now?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Crain posted:

say the who what now?

There's a story around that Togashi's old editor in YYH days locked him in a hotel room and forced him to write chapters and in agreement for not suing the pants off Jump he gets the most lenient contract ever.

I personally subscribe to the "it's because his series still gets money when he does publish it" theory though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's turning into one of those hiatuses that are so long you forget what was happening and have to go back and re-read the last dozen chapters to remember.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

It's turning into one of those hiatuses that are so long you forget what was happening and have to go back and re-read the last dozen chapters to remember.

Hisoka is the best is all you need to remember. Speaking of, someone should edit the new IT trailer with Hisoka and the Spiders.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Say Nothing posted:

It's been that for ages now. If anything, it's a wonder I remember there was something other than hiatuses.

...There was something other than hiatuses, right?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The current hiatus would be easier to stomach if they went ahead and published vol. 34 already. Hisoka and Chrollo's fight is an easy highlight and almost entirely self-contained.

I'm sure Togashi wants to touch it up some but by this point I'd rather just have it.

EDIT: Did some poking around and apparently vol. 34 is coming out...which is what prompted this article in the first place, except I missed that part. Herp.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 16, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Togashi is obviously loaded enough to not need to work constantly, and being married to Naoko Takeuchi isn't going to hurt the old warchest. Shueisha aren't going to pay him much if they're not actively publishing HxH so he'll probably be only getting residuals from merch or for when he's contributing to other things like databooks or such.

There's no loss in it for either of them to rock the boat they're in when HxH will do well when it's back and Togashi isn't in a position where he has to push chapters out or he can't eat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

HxH will do well when it's back and Togashi's is too

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
hiatus x hiatus

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Togashi is obviously loaded enough to not need to work constantly, and being married to Naoko Takeuchi isn't going to hurt the old warchest. Shueisha aren't going to pay him much if they're not actively publishing HxH so he'll probably be only getting residuals from merch or for when he's contributing to other things like databooks or such.

There's no loss in it for either of them to rock the boat they're in when HxH will do well when it's back and Togashi isn't in a position where he has to push chapters out or he can't eat.

Didn't they get divorced or something?

And the hotel story is one of those stories that should be dismissed out of hand, except for the fact that the industry is just so toxic it's hard to actually dismiss.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Google suggests rumours around 2010 of a divorce and another rumour from 2016 saying she's helping draw his latest chapters.

I know that when someone is famous in Japan, they often release a statement to the press confirming their divorce, but hard to say if Togashi is that famous to even do that.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Blaze Dragon posted:

...There was something other than hiatuses, right?

Hunter X Hunter was never published. It was never even proposed to Jump or any other publication house. This whole thing is a feverish "what if" dream cobbled together from unrelated sketches that were found in Togashi's suddenly empty studio some time in 1996, which were then passed around the mangaka community for a few years before being leaked onto 2ch in early 2000.

Togashi has been missing for 21 years would be presumed dead if not for 3 "sequel" drawings to the sketches from 1996 that were posted to 2ch again in 2008. These new sketches showed the characters from the original sketches in updated clothing and using what seemed to be new powers.

At the bottom of the last sketch is a wad of chewed bubble gum, with the kanji for "back pain" stamped into it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it is very obvious that togashi likes his privacy

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kentarou Miura is also extremely private and running an hiatus manga with boats...

Perhaps they're the same person and Kentarou Togashi is taking a break from both to play Idolmaster Card Games?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think it is very obvious that togashi likes his privacy

Man, they completely botched the romanization of Dragon Quest in the West then?

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Aaaaaaand we're back

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/868098720037953536

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

oh shiiiiiiiit

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

:bignews:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Can we have a poll for how many chapters we'll get?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Is it possible to get half a chapter?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
HxH New Chapter Day is my favorite seasonal event, it beats out the Olympics and the World Cup.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

3 tops, with 2.5 months in between before the next hiatus is made official.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dragon Quest XI comes out in Japan in July, so just enough to finish up a tanko.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
If all that talk of him trying to fix up his back and no longer drawing on his stomach from last year was accurate I wager he'll hit double digits. If not, then 7 chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, no matter what treatment he pursues togashi is still old as hell and has been abusing his back for decades. he may never recover to the extent that he can draw manga with any kind of regularity.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Is it possible to get half a chapter?

Yes, OPM often has 1/2 a chapter but it's a pain to read. Also, so happy we get actual manga updates this time instead of random chatter.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Quest XI comes out in Japan in July, so just enough to finish up a tanko.

lol it's this

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

exactly 10

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
I think the only reasonable expectation is that we'll have get at least enough chapters for Shonen Jump to release a volume next Summer.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
One less chapter than needed to complete a new volume.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What if we made a volume with one less chapter than normal but include some sketches and rough drafts from Togashi's portfolio.

You're fired, Greg.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

What if we made a volume with one less chapter than normal but include some sketches and rough drafts from Togashi's portfolio.

You're fired, Greg.

It would sell like hotcakes. Basically, all vol come with misc sketches or omake comics as an incentive to buy the entire vol instead of just reading the magazine.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Hell yeah, just when I got to the latest chapter this manga resumes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

you mean greed island

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of find it hilarious that it's advertising Gon despite him having nothing to do with whats going on.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
In 10 chapters we will have a royal rumble in the dark continent hosted by the calamities and when the first punch is about to land we get "TIL NEXT TIME".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

turboraton posted:

In 10 chapters we will have a royal rumble in the dark continent hosted by the calamities and when the first punch is about to land we get "TIL NEXT TIME".

In 10 chapters well find out that hisoka make a fake head and him and pink are kissing because ill be mad if she's dead.