Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Fun fact: the first episode of Best of Both Worlds was written by a guy who thought he was leaving after its air date, so put zero consideration into how a second part would go down. Then he didn't leave, so he had to write his way out of the corner he had written himself into.

Piller didn't think he was leaving (he had been given control of the writing staff at the beginning of the third season, and he was enjoying it), he wasn't sure if Patrick Stewart would be coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Nah there's like a twenty year reconstructive gap that results in massive wealth disparities leading to, like, riots and poo poo, per DS9 anyway.

I'm pretty sure they never actually clarified the exact what-and-when of all the 20th and 21st century Bad Stuff that happens. And at times they happily ignored it, like that time Voyager went back in time to the 1990s, and the only hint that there was Eugenics Wars stuff already established to be happening at that time is that one of the characters had a model of a DY-100 (like the Botany Bay) with booster rockets on.

In any case though, the overall implication seems to be that Humans didn't start getting their poo poo together until around the time Zefram Cochrane invented warp drive. Similar thing goes for the planet from First Contact (the episode, not the movie) where they were about to invent warp drive themselves.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Powered Descent posted:

I'm pretty sure they never actually clarified the exact what-and-when of all the 20th and 21st century Bad Stuff that happens. And at times they happily ignored it, like that time Voyager went back in time to the 1990s, and the only hint that there was Eugenics Wars stuff already established to be happening at that time is that one of the characters had a model of a DY-100 (like the Botany Bay) with booster rockets on.

They were definitely improvising and outright inconsistent at times, don't get me wrong; my main point (communicated poorly) is more that I don't think "Irish Reunification war occurs" is terribly outside of the scope of things.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watching Lessons. I love how amazed Picard is by the portable piano when they first play together in his room.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

In any case though, the overall implication seems to be that Humans didn't start getting their poo poo together until around the time Zefram Cochrane invented warp drive. Similar thing goes for the planet from First Contact (the episode, not the movie) where they were about to invent warp drive themselves.

I don't know that they've ever really nailed down the Eugenics Wars timeline, it seems like every single series, movie and book that references it has slightly different ideas.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Doesn't the US exist because of a successful guerilla campaign?

Not really. Aid from France had a more meaningful impact on the course of the Revolution than guerilla tactics did.

Though guerilla tactics in the Revolution gave us Sharpe's Rifles.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

They were definitely improvising and outright inconsistent at times, don't get me wrong; my main point (communicated poorly) is more that I don't think "Irish Reunification war occurs" is terribly outside of the scope of things.

Yeah, some of the stupidest poo poo in Star Trek "canon" comes from throwaway lines in random episodes. There's McCoy's "no wonder you got conquered" line in... i wanna say Conscience of the King. There's the poo poo in Muse where Keats and this Roman poet were apparently killed by a space vampire. There's the "no place for a woman" line in Turnabout Intruder.

Early TNG also had Wesley not knowing what drug addiction is, a random mention of the Klingons being part of the Federation, and Troi and Riker having a psychic link for like two episodes. The list presumably goes on and on. Don't become a Trek continuity nerd. It's not worth it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I didn't. I missed a lot of seasons 5-7 because I got so bored and sick of it. I only came back for the last part of season 7 to see them get home.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of Voyager episodes I never watched because I remember missing a bunch of Voyager episodes as I lost interest in the show when it was first being aired.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kingtheninja posted:

Watching Lessons. I love how amazed Picard is by the portable piano when they first play together in his room.

My favourite will always be Pulaski telling one of the Enterprise's medical staff to splint someone's broken arm and the guy doesn't even know what a splint is, much less how to apply one.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Watching Undiscovered Country for like, the 20th time.

Then it strikes me, since when was Klingon blood neon pink gak? Was that always a thing?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 28, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching The Outrageous Okona and the title character's so badly written and obnoxious.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite will always be Pulaski telling one of the Enterprise's medical staff to splint someone's broken arm and the guy doesn't even know what a splint is, much less how to apply one.
Was that dude an alien? I mean then he'd have an excuse at least, he might know the same idea by different words.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching The Outrageous Okona and the title character's so badly written and obnoxious.

It's one of the worst episodes of the series, yeah.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Nessus posted:

Was that dude an alien? I mean then he'd have an excuse at least, he might know the same idea by different words.

I think it was supposed to be like McCoy being disgusted and scornful of 80s medicine in The One With The Whales. Basically they have a fancy portable bone reknitting ray and the idea of doing it by hand is a weird throwback like using leeches and obsidian knives in surgery.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He was a finalist to play Riker, too. At least he's charismatic. Problem is a Han Solo type doesn't quite fit in the Star Trek universe.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

He was a finalist to play Riker, too. At least he's charismatic. Problem is a Han Solo type doesn't quite fit in the Star Trek universe.

The actor's fine. And I don't necessarily agree that it can't work because weird juxtapositions are great in Star Trek. It's just the writing. They can't write a rogue.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Okay I do like the part about how outdated laser weapons are.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

You'd think Starfleet would have some kind of defined policy on extradition.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

AndyElusive posted:

Then it strikes me, since when was Klingon blood neon pink gak? Was that always a thing?

They changed the color from red for ratings purposes is what I've read.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You'd think a lot of things about a centuries old post-scarcity government, but... well...

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh, they do.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Counselor Troi shuts up during one of the rare times she could tell them something that wasn't obvious.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, some of the stupidest poo poo in Star Trek "canon" comes from throwaway lines in random episodes. There's McCoy's "no wonder you got conquered" line in... i wanna say Conscience of the King.

I'm gonna write this one off as McCoy needling Spock and not necessarily reciting a fact. The rest can go though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

AndyElusive posted:

In keeping with the thread's current theme, they made that up as they went along, to prevent a harsher rating. But as I recall, it was completely ignored any other time they showed Klingon blood oaths and such.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you look at Season 2 episod 16, at 26 minutes, 14 seconds, the Garglosian ambassador says "Nith to meet you, Captain" instead of "Nice to meet you, Captain." This proves once and for all that Garglosians canonically have a lisp.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

One of 20th century Earth's greatest comedians! :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The worst part of Okana is when he does something unexpected and the cast turns to the camera and goes "He's so OUTRAGEOUS!"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Powered Descent posted:

They probably knew the show had enough longevity to not put much of anything in the near future anymore to avoid situations like Khan being from the 90s.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

No way I remember being totally uninterested in it as a kid and then later finding out my intuition was justified and I don't have to watch it.

ONE OF US
ONE OF US

I gave in and watched all of it because of this thread I will make everyone else do the same god help me

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The worst part of Okana is when he does something unexpected and the cast turns to the camera and goes "He's so OUTRAGEOUS!"

Lol

Grand Fromage posted:

ONE OF US
ONE OF US

I gave in and watched all of it because of this thread I will make everyone else do the same god help me

Doesn't that violate the prime directive.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

skooma512 posted:

They probably knew the show had enough longevity to not put much of anything in the near future anymore to avoid situations like Khan being from the 90s.
I think it was pretty drat insane of TOS to think we'd have suspended animation and interstellar travel thirty years from their air date. I know the space race was making all kinds of leaps and bounds, and maybe the general public had less of an idea of what those kinds of technologies would require, but here we are 50 years later and still I'd be astonished if we figure out suspended animation in our lifetimes. I suppose at least we could do sub-lightspeed interstellar travel if we really wanted to, and were really, really patient about it. Like "Hope you and the next 10 generations of your offspring don't mind living aboard this spaceship" patient. "Oh, and keep the plants alive or you'll all suffocate".

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

ONE OF US
ONE OF US

If I decide to watch Voyager again, I won't skip any episodes, as I'm a big proponent of skipping nothing. It's the initial decision to rewatch that I'm not sure I'll ever make.

On that note, trip report: DS9 season 2, episode 5 "Cardassians"

Are there any bad Garak episodes, because I don't remember there being any. I liked O'Brien's mini-arc bonding with the kid; it's easy to forget just how good an actor Colm Meaney is because he makes it seem so effortless and natural. Maybe he's essentially playing himself, but he's about the only one who seems that sort of genuine, aside from Odo.

Which is not to say some of the others aren't good in their own way; Quark and Garak are great precisely because their shtick is playing off the fact that they're always up to something.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The weirdest thing about Space Seed's 1990s prediction is... Khan's being played by an actor in his mid-40s. The writers weren't just saying there'd be eugenic supermen in the near future; they were saying there were eugenic supermen RIGHT NOW!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

skooma512 posted:

Well, DS9 had concentration camps for the poor by the 2020s. Which nowadays seems a little optimistic, if anything.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

Well, DS9 had concentration camps for the poor by the 2020s. Which nowadays seems a little optimistic, if anything.
Really the only thing about that episode that seemed far-fetched when I watched it a few months back was the lack of people trying to pitch their apps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The best part of the Outrageous Okona is when he and Worf flirt and make plans to hook up later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I liked the full penetration sex scene.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cojawfee posted:

I liked the full penetration sex scene.

Was Wesley even of consenting age in that season? That scene made me feel uncomfortable. It was weird enough that he barged in on Worf's and Okona's fling; he had no reason to be in the captain's ready room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I thought it was interesting that they chose to end the episode with Okona kickflipping away on his hoverboard while making the "smell you later" hand gesture and Geordie saying "something tells me we'll be seeing a lot more of him from now on."